Football Championship Subdivision discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

College football attendance down nationally again in 2018

Post by BDKJMU »

#s were released early this month. Every year seems like a broken record as the #s have been going down year after year. Even Clempson didn’t sell out a single home game.

The Solution To Declining College Football Attendance Numbers Is Oversharing

This week, the NCAA reported their annual college football attendance figures for 2018, including FBS, FCS, Division II, and Division III.

Once again, the base numbers showed many issues of concern for Football Championship Subdivision.

Certainly FCS isn’t an outlier when it comes to attendance troubles – all of Division I college football has had issues over the last few years. Last year, the FBS had their biggest drop in average attendance per game in 34 years. This year, seven of ten FBS conferences experienced their lowest-average attendance in a decade or more.

But as expected, FCS saw a similar decline across the board in their average per game numbers as well.

For the first time, the average FCS crowd size was below 8,000 per game, averaging 7,853 fans. Last year, the average 8,223 fans per contest, marking a 4.5% drop from year to year.

What’s wrong, and can anything be done to reverse the decline?...”
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/t ... ersharing/
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: College football attendance down nationally again in 2018

Post by kalm »

My observation from an EWU perspective...

Time: even if you live within 15 minutes of the stadium like me and only go for the game, it still eats up half a day. If you tailgate like me it begins 2-3 days in advance buying food and organizing and then gameday itself is at least a 10 our ordeal plus a few hours of cleanup on Sunday. That's a tough sell to the war department who may or may not be as enthusiastic about losing entire weekends in the fall.

Weather: EWU has probably averaged barely over 1 September home game over the past decade and that's often against a DII. So you basically get 2 home games in October where the temps range from low 70's down to low 40's by the end with constant win and sometimes rain. The November games will more than likely only get a above 40 IF it's raining and can occasionally be snowy. Of course my favorite tailgates are when it's cold and you're basically setting up hunting camp. But not everyone is like that.

Electronic culture: More FCS games are broadcast now than ever and then of course there's streaming. And kids will likely choose staying home and gaming over live football. We've become a reclusive, shut-in society and it's probably why we're all so cranky (he says to himself as he's typing on a computer with people he's never met halfway across the country instead of golfing or fishing on this fine morning)
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Jews did this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote:My observation from an EWU perspective...

Time: even if you live within 15 minutes of the stadium like me and only go for the game, it still eats up half a day. If you tailgate like me it begins 2-3 days in advance buying food and organizing and then gameday itself is at least a 10 our ordeal plus a few hours of cleanup on Sunday. That's a tough sell to the war department who may or may not be as enthusiastic about losing entire weekends in the fall.

Weather: EWU has probably averaged barely over 1 September home game over the past decade and that's often against a DII. So you basically get 2 home games in October where the temps range from low 70's down to low 40's by the end with constant win and sometimes rain. The November games will more than likely only get a above 40 IF it's raining and can occasionally be snowy. Of course my favorite tailgates are when it's cold and you're basically setting up hunting camp. But not everyone is like that.

Electronic culture: More FCS games are broadcast now than ever and then of course there's streaming. And kids will likely choose staying home and gaming over live football. We've become a reclusive, shut-in society and it's probably why we're all so cranky (he says to himself as he's typing on a computer with people he's never met halfway across the country instead of golfing or fishing on this fine morning)
Sounds like EWU should have done what your 2 neighbors did and built a small dome..
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: College football attendance down nationally again in 2018

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote:
kalm wrote:My observation from an EWU perspective...

Sounds like EWU should have done what your 2 neighbors did and built a small dome..
Idaho and Montana are EWU's two closest neighbors and I would guess that Portland State and Montana State are closer than Idaho State. If correct, only one of it's four closest neighbors has a dome.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Sounds like EWU should have done what your 2 neighbors did and built a small dome..
Idaho and Montana are EWU's two closest neighbors and I would guess that Portland State and Montana State are closer than Idaho State. If correct, only one of it's four closest neighbors has a dome.

You are correct, sir!
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Sounds like EWU should have done what your 2 neighbors did and built a small dome..

I didn’t say 2 closest neighbors. Maybe I should have specified neighboring state of Idaho..But the point remains.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote:
UNI88 wrote:Idaho and Montana are EWU's two closest neighbors and I would guess that Portland State and Montana State are closer than Idaho State. If correct, only one of it's four closest neighbors has a dome.

I didn’t say 2 closest neighbors. Maybe I should have specified neighboring state of Idaho..But the point remains.
Idaho State isn’t a neighbor either. Not many domes being built these days, not that we could have ever afforded it anyway. We’ll struggle just to get the red turf replaced after this season.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: I didn’t say 2 closest neighbors. Maybe I should have specified neighboring state of Idaho..But the point remains.
Idaho State isn’t a neighbor either. Not many domes being built these days, not that we could have ever afforded it anyway. We’ll struggle just to get the red turf replaced after this season.
According to Wiki, Holt arena holds 12k, and was built in 1970 at a cost of 2.8 million, 18.1 million in 2019 dollars. It certainly doesn’t look fancy. According to wiki, Roos capacity is only 8.7k permanent seats. with temp seats allowing under 12k. So EWU could never have afforded even a small dome, a little smaller than Idaho States?
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Pocatello is about 2.5 hours closer to Southern Utah than to EWU.

And Pocatello to Flagstaff is only 1.5 further than to EWU.
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Idaho State's four closest:

Weber State
Montana State
Montana
Southern Utah
:thumb:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

dbackjon wrote:Pocatello is about 2.5 hours closer to Southern Utah than to EWU.

And Pocatello to Flagstaff is only 1.5 further than to EWU.
Now that I think of it, we fly to SLC for football and bus north literally driving through Ogden to get to Pocatello. :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote:
kalm wrote:
According to Wiki, Holt arena holds 12k, and was built in 1970 at a cost of 2.8 million, 18.1 million in 2019 dollars. It certainly doesn’t look fancy. According to wiki, Roos capacity is only 8.7k permanent seats. with temp seats allowing under 12k. So EWU could never have afforded even a small dome, a little smaller than Idaho States?
No. We barely afforded a new press box in 2004 after some serious fundraising. :lol:

Our endowment is significantly less than JMU’s annual athletics budget. :ohno:

:lol:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I know for me it's the easy internet access. There was a time when, if I wanted to see just about any McNeese State game, I had to go to it. Now I can kick back in bed, drink grain alcohol, and watch most of their games on the internet.

If I go to one of their home games it'd cost me about $55 dollars (gas and ticket). Most of the time I can kick bad at home and watch it without any additional cost over what I'm already paying for internet access. Worst case I can pay like $7 to watch it.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote:I know for me it's the easy internet access. There was a time when, if I wanted to see just about any McNeese State game, I had to go to it. Now I can kick back in bed, drink grain alcohol, and watch most of their games on the internet.

If I go to one of their home games it'd cost me about $55 dollars (gas and ticket). Most of the time I can kick bad at home and watch it without any additional cost over what I'm already paying for internet access. Worst case I can pay like $7 to watch it.
Drinking grain alcohol, watching football, and flyfishing some Louisiana marsh/swamps with JSO is on kalm’s bucket list. :nod:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:I know for me it's the easy internet access. There was a time when, if I wanted to see just about any McNeese State game, I had to go to it. Now I can kick back in bed, drink grain alcohol, and watch most of their games on the internet.

Drinking grain alcohol, watching football, and flyfishing some Louisiana marsh/swamps with JSO is on kalm’s bucket list. :nod:
Don’t forget drinking grain alcohol in bed

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote:
kalm wrote:

Have I ever mentioned you’re a dick?

:lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

You're the one who brought up dick after discussing drinking grain alcohol in bed with JSO.

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GAD_SU
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Southern U.
A.K.A.: GAD

Post by GAD_SU »

Games should not be streamed live until after a certain percentage of the tickets have been sold, each school/conference could set their own standards
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote:
kalm wrote:

You're the one who brought up dick after discussing drinking grain alcohol in bed with JSO.

Thanks. :ohno:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote:You're the one who brought up dick after discussing drinking grain alcohol in bed with JSO.

All that aside, you would be welcome. Though I must admit that I've had a tough time fishing over about the past year.
Could I ever be a star?

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:
kalm wrote:
All that aside, you would be welcome. Though I must admit that I've had a tough time fishing over about the past year.
Why? Does your terminal case of TDS affect your casting skills? :coffee:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ivytalk wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
Why? Does your terminal case of TDS affect your casting skills? :coffee:
To some extent it's a changing environment. I need to adjust.
Could I ever be a star?

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

CID1990 wrote:
kalm wrote:

The bigger question is will they wiggle while drinking grain alcohol in bed?
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU wrote:#s were released early this month. Every year seems like a broken record as the #s have been going down year after year. Even Clempson didn’t sell out a single home game.

The Solution To Declining College Football Attendance Numbers Is Oversharing

This week, the NCAA reported their annual college football attendance figures for 2018, including FBS, FCS, Division II, and Division III.

Once again, the base numbers showed many issues of concern for Football Championship Subdivision.

Certainly FCS isn’t an outlier when it comes to attendance troubles – all of Division I college football has had issues over the last few years. Last year, the FBS had their biggest drop in average attendance per game in 34 years. This year, seven of ten FBS conferences experienced their lowest-average attendance in a decade or more.

But as expected, FCS saw a similar decline across the board in their average per game numbers as well.

For the first time, the average FCS crowd size was below 8,000 per game, averaging 7,853 fans. Last year, the average 8,223 fans per contest, marking a 4.5% drop from year to year.

What’s wrong, and can anything be done to reverse the decline?...”
http://www.college-sports-journal.com/t ... ersharing/
Meh. The market is changing and so the athletic departments will need to as well. The drive needs to be better online streaming production/availability.