Political discussions
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by JohnStOnge »

Pwns wrote:So anyone else following the story of the journalist assaulted by antifa to the point he apparently had a brain hemorrhage?

I especially love people characterizing Quillette (who this journalist works for) as right-wing by Huff Poop and The Guardian even though it's about the consummate leftist outlet aside from not drinking the inersectionality kool aide on race and sex transgender issues.
I actually saw CNN devote a pretty good bit of time to that story this morning; including interviewing the guy who was assaulted. The interview was very friendly to him. The segment was definitely a negative portrayal of Antifa.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Pwns wrote:So anyone else following the story of the journalist assaulted by antifa to the point he apparently had a brain hemorrhage?

I especially love people characterizing Quillette (who this journalist works for) as right-wing by Huff Poop and The Guardian even though it's about the consummate leftist outlet aside from not drinking the inersectionality kool aide on race and sex transgender issues.
I actually saw CNN devote a pretty good bit of time to that story this morning; including interviewing the guy who was assaulted. The interview was very friendly to him. The segment was definitely a negative portrayal of Antifa.
CNN is having a bit of an identity crisis these days
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

:clap:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
CNN is having a bit of an identity crisis these days
:lol: They've also been getting close to offending SJWs and the leftists. Last week, an anchor called a woman a woman. She was NOT happy about that.

Weeks ago, a reporter said Trump gets triggered more than the "snowflakes at UC-Berkeley." :lol:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote:BTW - many on the left have been saying all along that if you want to curtail illegal immigration, go after the employers.

Maybe lock some of them in cages, or take away their children when they employ illegals - I am sure Barron would be happier out of the White House, anyways
Chizzang wrote:Fastest way to fix the problem... is to seriously penalize the companies that hire illegals
Problem solved in 6 months
Wait a minute, I thought this upswing in migrants from Central America had nothing to do about economic considerations and had everything to do with these people fearing for their lives amid chronic gang violence in their own countries? Isn't that what they're seeking asylum for in the first place? If that's the case, how would a lesser job opportunity in America dissuade these folks from fleeing certain death? :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote:
dbackjon wrote:BTW - many on the left have been saying all along that if you want to curtail illegal immigration, go after the employers.

Maybe lock some of them in cages, or take away their children when they employ illegals - I am sure Barron would be happier out of the White House, anyways
Chizzang wrote:Fastest way to fix the problem... is to seriously penalize the companies that hire illegals
Wait a minute, I thought this upswing in migrants from Central America had nothing to do about economic considerations and had everything to do with these people fearing for their lives amid chronic gang violence in their own countries? Isn't that what they're seeking asylum for in the first place? If that's the case, how would a lesser job opportunity in America dissuade these folks from fleeing certain death? :coffee:
They are ALL economic migrants, Ganny

TPS has been extended 4 times- none of the extensions had anything to do with the 80s civil war. One was due to hurricane Mitch

The idea of El Sal being a place people need asylum from is a goddamn joke

I lived there with the same pay differential as Ecuador or Casablanca. Saigon is 10% higher.

El Salvador is not a country anyone needs asylum from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote:

Legit point.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

CID1990 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

TPS has been extended 4 times- none of the extensions had anything to do with the 80s civil war. One was due to hurricane Mitch

I lived there with the same pay differential as Ecuador or Casablanca. Saigon is 10% higher.

I think "All" is a bit of a stretch, but I wouldn't be shocked that a super high majority (90% plus) is just people wanting to have a better life than where they live. And I can't blame them for it either. If you could live in the US or live in a 3rd world nation, wouldn't you choose the US every time? But the complication comes if we want to operate like that wouldn't that open us up to even more migration? Where would it stop? In theory, after Haiti had that bad hurricane/earthquake thing a few years back (the one where the ABCNews story detailed all the cronyism and "Friends of Bill" thing with Hillary as SoS and the prioritizing of contractors who were also donors), who would argue that the USA is a better place to live than Haiti and shouldn't we have then just moved every single person from Haiti to the US? I mean, that's 10-11 million people, but isn't that the humane thing to do? :roll:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

Legit point.
Hence the crickets, I'm sure.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

CID1990 wrote:
Yep - I agree

Good for Dunkin Donuts.

But now the quandary .... in response to Jon above: is Dunkin Donuts doing the right thing by denying employment to illegals still the way forward for "many on the left", or is it racist and anti-immigrant?

I mean, if paroling them into the country is the humanitarian thing to do, shouldn't giving them employment also be the humanitarian thing to do... since they surely don't partake of need-based public assistance (snicker)?
Two different questions.

If we are giving them asylum, and letting them stay in the country until their hearing, it would not be outrageous at the same time to give them a temporary work permit (if they have a job, address, etc less likely to get "lost".

And no, it is not racist to verify legal status, as long as you are doing it for every single person that you hire (which my company does).
:thumb:
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

They already can get a temporary work permit if their hearing is pending for 150 days.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Unconstitutional unless Chick Fil-A is getting forced out of an airport, amiright?
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: RE: Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by SeattleGriz »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: That’s pretty stupid, all right.

Kasie Hunt, proud grad of GWU. :dunce:
I watch MSNBC pretty much.
This explains so much.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

I think "All" is a bit of a stretch, but I wouldn't be shocked that a super high majority (90% plus) is just people wanting to have a better life than where they live. And I can't blame them for it either. If you could live in the US or live in a 3rd world nation, wouldn't you choose the US every time? But the complication comes if we want to operate like that wouldn't that open us up to even more migration? Where would it stop? In theory, after Haiti had that bad hurricane/earthquake thing a few years back (the one where the ABCNews story detailed all the cronyism and "Friends of Bill" thing with Hillary as SoS and the prioritizing of contractors who were also donors), who would argue that the USA is a better place to live than Haiti and shouldn't we have then just moved every single person from Haiti to the US? I mean, that's 10-11 million people, but isn't that the humane thing to do? :roll:
All this is why, hundreds of years ago, the inventors of the nation-state created borders.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote: The idea of El Sal being a place people need asylum from is a goddamn joke
El Sal is #1 in the world in intentional homicide rate:

https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/indica ... 5/rankings

In that chart El Sal had a homicide rate of 108.6 per 100,000 persons in 2015 while the US had a rate of 4.9 in 2015.

I think I can see a reason other than economics for people wanting to get out of El Sal. Something like more than 20 times the homicide rate.
Could I ever be a star?

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote: The idea of El Sal being a place people need asylum from is a goddamn joke

In that chart El Sal had a homicide rate of 108.6 per 100,000 persons in 2015 while the US had a rate of 4.9 in 2015.

I think I can see a reason other than economics for people wanting to get out of El Sal. Something like more than 20 times the homicide rate.
Oh, so you’re an open borders guy. Right out of the 2019 Democrat playbook.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ivytalk wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

Oh, so you’re an open borders guy. Right out of the 2019 Democrat playbook.
I'm just saying there's a reason for wanting out of El Salvador other then economics. It really is a dangerous place to be in relative terms. And It is legal to enter the United States and request asylum.
Could I ever be a star?

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

dbackjon wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Yep - I agree

Good for Dunkin Donuts.

But now the quandary .... in response to Jon above: is Dunkin Donuts doing the right thing by denying employment to illegals still the way forward for "many on the left", or is it racist and anti-immigrant?

I mean, if paroling them into the country is the humanitarian thing to do, shouldn't giving them employment also be the humanitarian thing to do... since they surely don't partake of need-based public assistance (snicker)?
Two different questions.

If we are giving them asylum, and letting them stay in the country until their hearing, it would not be outrageous at the same time to give them a temporary work permit (if they have a job, address, etc less likely to get "lost".

And no, it is not racist to verify legal status, as long as you are doing it for every single person that you hire (which my company does).
A parolee or TPS recipient with a temporary work permit is not going to be captured by e-verify. But thanks for pointing out something I know all too well, Reek

Those are the ones who got caught - and then when they abscond - well that’s another thread altogether

But I wasn’t clear in what I was asking Jon - there is a fairly vocal tribe on the left that feels that we should not be deporting economic migrants, period. If the humane thing to do is to parole them all in, then they should all be allowed to work, right?

Why e-Verify? Shouldn’t they all be afforded the ability to work, regardless of immigration status? I’m asking the question because I predict that is where the debate is heading.

Otherwise, what is the disincentive to being here in the first place?
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:

It is hardly noticeable, John.

The rate could be the same in New Orleans and you wouldn’t know it. And the murder rate in El Sal is largely the Maras killing each other, with nobody seeing anything.

And for every piece of turf controlled by the Maras, there is another that is not. These “asylees” can flee there. Think of it as fleeing Chicago for Bloomington.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

The rate could be the same in New Orleans and you wouldn’t know it. And the murder rate in El Sal is largely the Maras killing each other, with nobody seeing anything.

And for every piece of turf controlled by the Maras, there is another that is not. These “asylees” can flee there. Think of it as fleeing Chicago for Bloomington.
Bloomington?
- Illinois?
- Indiana?
- Minnesota?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Bloomington?
- Illinois?
- Indiana?
- Minnesota?
Can't be Indiana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 1jzs6dk4bs
Last edited by SeattleGriz on Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

The Maras? Don’t they own the New York Giants? :?
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Read this hilarious Onion piece all the way to the end

https://www.theonion.com/god-furious-at ... 1828935588

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:

Hey John

Here’s a photo of me in El Salvador on 4th of July in 2014

I fled the country for my safety a couple weeks later

Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

CID1990 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

Hey John

Here’s a photo of me in El Salvador on 4th of July in 2014

I fled the country for my safety a couple weeks later

Ha...which one did you knock up? :suspicious: