2019 NASCAR/INDYCAR/F1

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
TheDancinMonarch
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Old Dominion

Re: 2019 NASCAR/INDYCAR/F1

Post by TheDancinMonarch »

93henfan wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:Goddamn NASCAR. They could have gotten the race started at around 11 PM last night or or 11 AM today. The weather (weather.com, accuweather.com) for the worst threat of rain between 2-4 PM. 1 PM start was idiotic. Sure enough 3:15 they have to stop the race due to an approaching thunderstorm. Just like I predicted. Now gonna be here all damn evening.
Some people mentioned women’s soccer. That’s ridiculous. Different network, and most NASCAR fans don’t watch women’s soccer.

They’ve called for people to evacuated the stands due to approaching t-storm even though not raining yet. **** them. I’m staying right here along with thousands of other people. Still have plenty of beer.
This is why I quit NASCAR after 40+ years of attending races. It became a **** chore. All they care about is the TV audience and how many commercials they can show.

F1: 1.5 hours, rain or shine, and then you hit the exits. Commercial-free on TV. Can't wait for SIlverstone next week. Great track.
I don't know about the TV audience. The incessant babbling by Earnhardt Jr., Letarte, and Burton will drive away the last 17 fans. I mean could we just have 5 seconds of silence every once in a while? And not one of them has a voice appropriate for what is essentially a radio broadcast. They are like 3 old gabby women!
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Haven't read a single post in this thread since my last

Came across formula E by accident this AM on YouTube. Watched a couple intro to FE videos and have since watched every single race if this season today.

Even happen to randomly find today's race live on Fox

Formula E is pretty great. Much better than F1 IMO.

Maybe it was talked about earlier in the thread. I don't know

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Formula E is the Beyond Burger of racing.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: RE: Re: 2019 NASCAR/INDYCAR/F1

Post by clenz »

93henfan wrote:Formula E is the Beyond Burger of racing.
I prefer action in a race. Not 2 hours of follow the leader.

The Gen 2 E cars are a massive upgrade from what I can tell. Yesterday's race in NYC had more action than I've seen in any of the F1s I've seen combined.

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

You can always manufacturer competition. See NASCAR.

F1 is pure capitalism. Survival of the fittest. Most R&D, best car design, best power unit is going to win. Don't like it, do your work and beat them. The funniest thing is the NY Yankees of F1, Ferrari, are getting schooled by MB and RB right now. Love it.

Btw, the Austrian GP had tons of passing. Great race. France, the race before, was dreadful. It happens.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Btw, it's time for Silverstone. :notworthy:

If I'm healthy, I may go there next year.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote:Btw, it's time for Silverstone. :notworthy:

If I'm healthy, I may go there next year.
Mercedez takes 1-2 but other than that is was a pretty interesting race to watch. Full track caution really bailed out Hamilton as I think there were going to have some pit issues with pretty much every other team undercutting them. Vettle rear ended Verstappen late in the race, otherwise Red Bull probably lands on the podium. Lot of passing and action in the "best of the rest" grouping.

Oh and Williams didn't finish ass last in this one...thanks to 3 cars retiring (Haas and the non-Kimi Alpha Romeo car)
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

I've tried to watch some F1 but the "lack of manufacturing competition" doesn't do a ton for me I guess. FE had 9 different winners through the first 9 races last season. This year the same 2 drivers on F1 have all but one of the top 2 finishes in every single race.

I am, however, watching the F1 version of last chance u on Netflix that follows the 2018 season. It's really well done and makes me more interested in F1 but based on the fact my interest more or less starts and stops with the green and checkered for both FE does more for me.

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

https://news.yahoo.com/bigger-tires-sto ... 56596.html
Formula One tires are getting a makeover to make them look more like the ones auto racing fans can buy for their own cars.

The circuit will switch to 18-inch tires beginning in the 2021 season, one of a series of changes it is making as it embarks on a new contract with the Italian tire-maker Pirelli that begins next year and runs through 2023. F1 has used 13-inch tires for decades.

"The change ... is designed to more closely align Formula 1 tires with street tires, allowing an even greater degree of technology transfer between them," the company said.
:suspicious: What?
Getting more like NASCAR everyday. :coffee:
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

What I can say is Max Verstappen is a gigantic douche.

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

clenz wrote:I've tried to watch some F1 but the "lack of manufacturing competition" doesn't do a ton for me I guess. FE had 9 different winners through the first 9 races last season. This year the same 2 drivers on F1 have all but one of the top 2 finishes in every single race.Image

I am, however, watching the F1 version of last chance u on Netflix that follows the 2018 season. It's really well done and makes me more interested in F1 but based on the fact my interest more or less starts and stops with the green and checkered for both FE does more for me.

That Netflix series is what got me into this season. My gripe with the series is that it isn't in chronological order.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

clenz wrote:What I can say is Max Verstappen is a gigantic douche.

He is, but he's also the best driver not on team Mercedez or Ferrari.

Anyone following the sponsorship issue with Haas? :lol: :ohno:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

phpBB [video]
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Wet track in Germany. Rain tires are on. HAM and VER on the front row. This should be awesome.

Now, if they pussy out and do a safety car start, Jeremy is correct.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

This race is nuts. HAM, LEC, and VER all with spins after switching from inters to slicks. Then they all go back to inters. Mercedes pit box was not at all ready for HAM to come in and he loses four positions in the pits while they run around scrambling for tires. HAM also gets a 5 sec penalty for entering pit lane on the wrong side of the bollard.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Mercedes finishes completely out of the points, after disastrous spins by HAM and BOT. Red Bull looking very good with wins in 2 of last 3 races. They will be a force now that Honda has gotten its shit together on the engine.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

93henfan wrote:This race is nuts. HAM, LEC, and VER all with spins after switching from inters to slicks. Then they all go back to inters. Mercedes pit box was not at all ready for HAM to come in and he loses four positions in the pits while they run around scrambling for tires. HAM also gets a 5 sec penalty for entering pit lane on the wrong side of the bollard.
Just watched the race last night and I agree. Lots of excitement and the best was all the times the cars would get a tire over into the smooth start area and start fish tailing due to lack of traction.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Winterborn wrote:
93henfan wrote:This race is nuts. HAM, LEC, and VER all with spins after switching from inters to slicks. Then they all go back to inters. Mercedes pit box was not at all ready for HAM to come in and he loses four positions in the pits while they run around scrambling for tires. HAM also gets a 5 sec penalty for entering pit lane on the wrong side of the bollard.
Just watched the race last night and I agree. Lots of excitement and the best was all the times the cars would get a tire over into the smooth start area and start fish tailing due to lack of traction.
I remember when NASCAR tried rain treads in a truck road race. It was fishtailing at its finest. They should have those tires on hand for every NASCAR series road race. Man up and live on the edge.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

93henfan wrote:
Winterborn wrote:
I remember when NASCAR tried rain treads in a truck road race. It was fishtailing at its finest. They should have those tires on hand for every NASCAR series road race. Man up and live on the edge.

I agree. Some of the best racing is when drivers are a bit out of their comfort zone and need to really "drive". Some of the problem with all racing is that the governing bodies have made it too "predictable/safe" as every race is almost the same. There is less and less things that the drivers have to figure ways around or actually "drive" during a race that it has taken quite a bit of excitement out of watching them.

Not saying they have to be dangerous to be fun, but the race at Hockenheimring here this past weekend, IMHO really made the drivers have to think about what they were doing and between the rain and the corresponding tire strategy made made every little mistake a potential for something to happen.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
polsongrizz
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: MONTANA
A.K.A.: The Beer Snob

Post by polsongrizz »

Winterborn wrote:
93henfan wrote:

I agree. Some of the best racing is when drivers are a bit out of their comfort zone and need to really "drive". Some of the problem with all racing is that the governing bodies have made it too "predictable/safe" as every race is almost the same. There is less and less things that the drivers have to figure ways around or actually "drive" during a race that it has taken quite a bit of excitement out of watching them.
You need to go to some World of Outlaw races then.
“We didn’t have a man or woman in the drone,” Trump explained to a confused America. “We had nobody in the drone. It would have made a big difference, let me tell you. It would have made a big, big difference.”
Mexico will pay for the wall
THE MOON IS PART OF MARS
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

polsongrizz wrote: You need to go to some World of Outlaw races then.
I usually make a local dirt track races about once a month. They run the Wissota and Late Mod classes on most weekends. And agree, dirt track racing is a blast to watch. :thumb:

polsongrizz
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: MONTANA
A.K.A.: The Beer Snob

Post by polsongrizz »

Winterborn wrote:
I usually make a local dirt track races about once a month. They run the Wissota and Late Mod classes on most weekends. And agree, dirt track racing is a blast to watch. :thumb:
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. We try to hit up local tracks while traveling. Seriously though, if you live close to any of these races, GO. These things are on a whole other level. You will not regret it.
https://www.worldofoutlaws.com/
“We didn’t have a man or woman in the drone,” Trump explained to a confused America. “We had nobody in the drone. It would have made a big difference, let me tell you. It would have made a big, big difference.”
Mexico will pay for the wall
THE MOON IS PART OF MARS
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

This is the best F1 video in life (and I'm a Hamilton fan). In Merc's defense, Hamilton spun and broke the nose in the final turn before the pit entrance and dove in unannounced, and they have to stage their pit box to service two different cars. But man, when it all goes wrong, what a shitshow. Nobody ready to unscrew the nose, wrong tires, etc. And I think the first right front tire man had a tweed cap on :rofl: . A typical F1 stop is under 3 seconds. With a nose change, maybe 15. This is a $400M race team:
phpBB [video]
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote:This is the best F1 video in life (and I'm a Hamilton fan). In Merc's defense, Hamilton spun and broke the nose in the final turn before the pit entrance and dove in unannounced, and they have to stage their pit box to service two different cars. But man, when it all goes wrong, what a shitshow. Nobody ready to unscrew the nose, wrong tires, etc. And I think the first right front tire man had a tweed cap on :rofl: . A typical F1 stop is under 3 seconds. With a nose change, maybe 15. This is a $400M race team:
phpBB [video]
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Holy fuck, I'm going to watch the race replay right now!!!
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Winterborn wrote:
Well, its the 1 time a year NASCAR does it, with the trucks tomorrow night at El Dora on FS1:
https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2019/ ... -more/amp/
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.