2019 Fightin' Phils Back to Relevancy Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: RE: Re: 2019 Fightin' Phils Back to Relevancy Thread

Post by Ivytalk »

UNI88 wrote:
SunCoastBlueHen wrote:
Apparently, you.
:orly: 93 had to remind me. I thought the Phillies hadn't really been good since the Schmidt days.
You really need to get out more.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: 2019 Fightin' Phils Back to Relevancy Thread

Post by dbackjon »

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
·
3m

Charlie Manuel is the Phillies new hitting coach. Loved in Philly, knows hitting like almost no one else, could be a spark they need.
:thumb:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

dbackjon wrote:Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
·
3m

Charlie Manuel is the Phillies new hitting coach. Loved in Philly, knows hitting like almost no one else, could be a spark they need.
Wait. He's still alive?

That's fucking awesome! Go Uncle Chollie.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Phillies Phans. What is going with your ball park? I just noticed this.
So I see the field level.
Then the next one up is the suite level.
Not sure what the third level is. Club Level?
Then there appears to be two upper decks? Is there anything different between the two upper decks? Why not just one big upper deck?
The new Yankee Stadium did the same thing when the previous two versions had one big upper deck? Not sure why it was done there either.
You think it's a ticket pricing thing?

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Class warfare
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

What's amazing is Camden Yards is 27 years old and AFAIK nobody has really built a better one.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:What's amazing is Camden Yards is 27 years old and AFAIK nobody has really built a better one.

I frankly never cared for Camden Yards - always thought there's plenty of crappy seats in that park - the slope on the bottom levels makes it hard to see over people's heads and makes you feel far from the game, and the angle of the seats was always a problem. The concept and the stadiums it prompted, many of which improved on the model, will always be it's true legacy. And really, the old parks still around (Dodger Stadium, Wrigley, and Fenway) are infinitely better than it too.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

CAA Flagship wrote:Phillies Phans. What is going with your ball park? I just noticed this.
Then there appears to be two upper decks? Is there anything different between the two upper decks? Why not just one big upper deck?
The new Yankee Stadium did the same thing when the previous two versions had one big upper deck? Not sure why it was done there either.

It's not that uncommon - Dodger Stadium has another level on top of the second behind home plate, and most new stadiums have it as well (Busch has it, so does the one in Cincy, so does the Nats stadium) - it does allow more price points but it also makes that top level be closer to the field, albeit possibly higher. And it gives another level where you can have another front row. Plus it shortens the amount of steps you need to traverse to get to the concourse - I know from watching events at Franklin Field, sometimes it seems like forever to walk down the steps to get to the passageway to the concourse. People are less reluctant to buy stuff if it takes really long to get there.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CAA Flagship wrote:Phillies Phans. What is going with your ball park? I just noticed this.

It allows more air in between the levels, keeping the ballpark cooler.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

93henfan wrote:

So it's like a boxers vs. briefs argument?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

UNI88 wrote:
93henfan wrote:
So it's like a boxers vs. briefs argument?
That's a stretch.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote:
dbackjon wrote:Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
·
3m

Wait. He's still alive?

That's **** awesome! Go Uncle Chollie.
Chollie's first game as the batting coach for the Phils and they light up Cole Hamels and the Cubs for 11 runs in an 11-1 rout. He's that good of a hitting coach apparently. :notworthy:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

GannonFan wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Wait. He's still alive?

That's **** awesome! Go Uncle Chollie.
Chollie's first game as the batting coach for the Phils and they light up Cole Hamels and the Cubs for 11 runs in an 11-1 rout. He's that good of a hitting coach apparently. :notworthy:
The sudden surge in offense wasted Nola's start.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:And really, the old parks still around (Dodger Stadium, Wrigley, and Fenway) are infinitely better than it too.
I've not been to any of those, but I've heard they are trading on tradition and history and that Wrigley and Fenway are dumps.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:And really, the old parks still around (Dodger Stadium, Wrigley, and Fenway) are infinitely better than it too.
I've not been to any of those, but I've heard they are trading on tradition and history and that Wrigley and Fenway are dumps.
Then you've heard wrong - best ballparks I've ever been to are Fenway, Wrigley, and Dodger Stadium, probably in that order. Of the newer parks, I didn't like Great American (Cincinnati) at all. I like Citizen's Bank (great food options and good views from most spots), I was neutral on Nationals Stadium (was fine), and I wasn't gaga for Camden Yards. Wasn't terrible, just didn't see what the fuss was about. SkyDome (called something else now) was surprisingly nice for an older domed stadium. Oh, and I didn't like Comercia Park (Tigers Stadium) at all, but I did have bad seats in the sun for a 6:30PM game so I think I'm unfairly judging it. And come to think of it, I didn't like the stadium in San Fran - I thought it looked better in photos and on tv. Plus it was San Fran so I was freezing in the middle of July despite wearing jeans and a sweatshirt and layers. I hear good things about PNC Park in Pittsburgh and might get out there this fall during a college tour trip.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:I hear good things about PNC Park in Pittsburgh and might get out there this fall during a college tour trip.
The price is right too. I've thought about going up. Just pulled up StubHub and you can sit behind the dish for under $50. :shock:

Only other park I've been to outside of the area is Coors Field and there was nothing memorable. The upper deck right field is just dumb and because of where it is, it faces completely away from the city.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:I hear good things about PNC Park in Pittsburgh and might get out there this fall during a college tour trip.
The price is right too. I've thought about going up. Just pulled up StubHub and you can sit behind the dish for under $50. :shock:

Only other park I've been to outside of the area is Coors Field and there was nothing memorable. The upper deck right field is just dumb and because of where it is, it faces completely away from the city.

I'm going to a Phils game tomorrow night and I'm 20 rows back and sitting between home plate and the home dugout and I'm only paying $70. It's just me and one of my boys so it's pretty reasonable given the location. Baseball's still a fairly economical sport outing.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:Then you've heard wrong - best ballparks I've ever been to are Fenway, Wrigley, and Dodger Stadium, probably in that order.
BTW...

https://www.thesportster.com/baseball/m ... nderrated/

#1 overrated - Fenway
#3 overrated - Wrigley

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2013/03/3 ... nway-park/
Fenway certainly is authentic, nostalgic, and nestled into the neighborhood, unlike most other stadiums that are built along interstates with thousands of parking spots. However, these just contribute to the really crappy experience of Fenway. Because its dimensions are dictated by the neighborhood streets the experience is miserable for everyone. The concourse is way too small, and the only good seats in the house are the box seats, which only Ben Affleck and Stephen King can afford. The rest of us sit in a seat that is almost never faces home plate. Watching the game feels a lot like backing out of your driveway because you have to turn your neck to see anything. And no Fenway experience would be complete without a giant weight-bearing pole obstructing your view.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:I'm going to a Phils game tomorrow night and I'm 20 rows back and sitting between home plate and the home dugout and I'm only paying $70. It's just me and one of my boys so it's pretty reasonable given the location. Baseball's still a fairly economical sport outing.
I know it's a first world problem, but once you get used to sitting in good seats, it's hard to go back up to the nosebleeds. Best deal at Nats is to buy the cheapest tix you can find and then get there early to sit in the left field "Red Porch" where as long as you keep eating and drinking you can stay at a table with waitresses.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:I'm going to a Phils game tomorrow night and I'm 20 rows back and sitting between home plate and the home dugout and I'm only paying $70. It's just me and one of my boys so it's pretty reasonable given the location. Baseball's still a fairly economical sport outing.
I know it's a first world problem, but once you get used to sitting in good seats, it's hard to go back up to the nosebleeds. Best deal at Nats is to buy the cheapest tix you can find and then get there early to sit in the left field "Red Porch" where as long as you keep eating and drinking you can stay at a table with waitresses.

I agree. I've found it easier (and cheaper) getting front row seats at musicals and theaters (probably because those fanbases aren't as rabid as sports ones) and now I'm disappointed when I sit somewhere else. I think Citizen's Bank has the same thing with the "Harry the K" restaurant in left field, basically the same spot. Just keep ordering and you're there all game. The Vet used to have a restaurant down the right field line where if you sat at the bar you had a great seat too.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Then you've heard wrong - best ballparks I've ever been to are Fenway, Wrigley, and Dodger Stadium, probably in that order.
BTW...

https://www.thesportster.com/baseball/m ... nderrated/

#1 overrated - Fenway
#3 overrated - Wrigley

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2013/03/3 ... nway-park/
Fenway certainly is authentic, nostalgic, and nestled into the neighborhood, unlike most other stadiums that are built along interstates with thousands of parking spots. However, these just contribute to the really crappy experience of Fenway. Because its dimensions are dictated by the neighborhood streets the experience is miserable for everyone. The concourse is way too small, and the only good seats in the house are the box seats, which only Ben Affleck and Stephen King can afford. The rest of us sit in a seat that is almost never faces home plate. Watching the game feels a lot like backing out of your driveway because you have to turn your neck to see anything. And no Fenway experience would be complete without a giant weight-bearing pole obstructing your view.
Wrigley has been and continues to be updated
The 1060 Project aims to preserve Wrigley Field's beauty, charm and historic features that fans have cherished for more than a century, while updating and improving the iconic ballpark for fans, players and the community.
I've never been a Cubs fan and I loved going to Wrigley.

Did you wait for a stall at the Tub because you didn't like the piss wall too? :poke:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote:I've never been a Cubs fan and I loved going to Wrigley.

Did you wait for a stall at the Tub because you didn't like the piss wall too? :poke:
I'd love to go to Wrigley too. If they've had a major redo, then all the folks I know have outdated info. But I'm guessing GF's opinion of it was from before the redo as well.

The Tub is a piece of shit but has great sight lines and carries with it a lot of good memories. The stadium itself sucks. Horrible concessions, old looking concrete, bathrooms from the 50's, bleachers, etc...
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote:
UNI88 wrote:I've never been a Cubs fan and I loved going to Wrigley.

I'd love to go to Wrigley too. If they've had a major redo, then all the folks I know have outdated info. But I'm guessing GF's opinion of it was from before the redo as well.

The Tub is a piece of **** but has great sight lines and carries with it a lot of good memories. The stadium itself sucks. Horrible concessions, old looking concrete, bathrooms from the 50's, bleachers, etc...
Wrigley Field Renovations Are Nothing Short Of Spectacular
“What we’ve done here is spectacular,” Maddon said. “I love the concept of taking something old and rebuilding it in a way that you still have the vestiges of what it used to look like with all the amenities of today. That’s outstanding. It takes a lot of planning, foresight, vision, all that stuff.

“There’s nothing like it. There’s nothing like it in all of professional sports. I believe this is the best venue there is.”
Might have a little too much of the old to please you though.

:stir:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Phils score 6 in 9th, capped by Harper’s grand slam, to sweep the Cubs.

Chicago’s bullpen may be worse than ours at this point. Wasted a great start by Darvish.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

I love those baby Blue uniforms - those were always my favorite...
And: 500 foot walk off homers

https://bdata-producedclips.mlb.com/59f ... 774ea3.mp4
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus