2019 Fightin' Phils Back to Relevancy Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: 2019 Fightin' Phils Back to Relevancy Thread

Post by 93henfan »

Bryce Streaky finally earns one of his weekly paychecks.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
UNI88 wrote:I've never been a Cubs fan and I loved going to Wrigley.

Did you wait for a stall at the Tub because you didn't like the piss wall too? :poke:
I'd love to go to Wrigley too. If they've had a major redo, then all the folks I know have outdated info. But I'm guessing GF's opinion of it was from before the redo as well.

The Tub is a piece of shit but has great sight lines and carries with it a lot of good memories. The stadium itself sucks. Horrible concessions, old looking concrete, bathrooms from the 50's, bleachers, etc...
I went to Wrigley 2 years ago and the place was fantastic - super experience, and I was sitting deep in the left field corner and under the decking of the second deck. Best experience other than Fenway, and I've never sat in a spot in Fenway where a pole was in my way - plenty of seats without that issue. Those two, and Dodger Stadium (saw that last year) are easily my top 3 ballparks and there's a big gap between them and #4. And none of those teams are near the top of my list of favorite teams. Don't rely on other people's opinions, especially websites, go and see for yourself.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote:Bryce Streaky finally earns one of his weekly paychecks.
That blast last night was like watching the moonshot that Matt Stairs hit against the Dodgers in the NLCS in 2008 (when UNI wasn't watching baseball). I think the one Stairs hit is still going.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

GannonFan wrote:
That blast last night was like watching the moonshot that Matt Stairs hit against the Dodgers in the NLCS in 2008 (when UNI wasn't watching baseball). I think the one Stairs hit is still going.
Yes sir. Recall it fondly. :notworthy:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Yes sir. Recall it fondly. :notworthy:
My youngest was just two months old during that run and I distinctly remember him throwing up the bottle I was feeding him just before Stairs hit that shot. Good times. :thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote:
Don't be sensitive and act like NDSU fans believing the world revolves around your team.

Do people in and around Philly remember the White Sox winning the World Series in 2005? Probably not but I do because I lived in Chicago and it was a big deal. Philly winning the World Series in 2008 was a blip in time, soon forgotten in Chicago just like the White Sox winning probably was in Philly.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

UNI88 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Don't be sensitive and act like NDSU fans believing the world revolves around your team.

Do people in and around Philly remember the White Sox winning the World Series in 2005? Probably not but I do because I lived in Chicago and it was a big deal. Philly winning the World Series in 2008 was a blip in time, soon forgotten in Chicago just like the White Sox winning probably was in Philly.

The Marlins have won two and most baseball fans are like "Oh yeah.. The Marlins, are they still around?"

:nod:

Remember: Only the Yankees matter
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

Am I baseball fan and I remember the White Sox winning the World Series. I remember the Texas Rangers losing in Game 7 just a few years ago to the Cardinals. I remember the Royals won a World Series four years ago. Heck, I remember the Angels winning a world series this century and not too many people can recall that. The Phillies weren't even the blip the other teams were - they started winning in 2007 and were still very relevant up until Ryan Howard blew out his ankle in the playoff loss in 2011. That's 2 trips to the WS in 5 years, winning one and later even having that pitching quartet of Cole Hamels, Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, and Roy Oswalt.

An no, the world doesn't revolve around the Phillies - they are the losingest franchise in all of professional sports, even more so than the Washington Generals. But they were pretty significant in the baseball universe, for an extended period of time, within the past 10-15 years. Just saying.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I watched a whole Phils game last night and it was pretty entertaining. Velazquez, though he crumbled in the 6th after throwing 108 pitches, allowed the Phils to build a nice 5-0 cushion before that. Charlie Manuel magic continues as Harper goes opposite field for an eventual run-scoring hit and opposite field again for the 3-run insurance HR after Velazquez went doody down his leg. Realmuto had a huge night. Neris had the rare excellent outing in a non-save 9th. They kept showing Bryce Harper's parents up in a suite, completely alone, in what looked like a suite for 20. Boy are they some redneck looking mofos. :lol:

There was also a guy with a sign behind the righty batters in the shot from the Phils dugout cam. His sign had very poor spacing. It was supposed to say:
ITS HITTING
SEASON

Lastly, here is Bryce Harper earlier this week dealing with a heckler, with the heckler oddly having a New York, not Philly, accent. Couldn't be a Bleacher Report"er" making their own story? Nah, couldn't be:
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

GannonFan wrote:
UNI88 wrote:

Am I baseball fan and I remember the White Sox winning the World Series. I remember the Texas Rangers losing in Game 7 just a few years ago to the Cardinals. I remember the Royals won a World Series four years ago. Heck, I remember the Angels winning a world series this century and not too many people can recall that. The Phillies weren't even the blip the other teams were - they started winning in 2007 and were still very relevant up until Ryan Howard blew out his ankle in the playoff loss in 2011. That's 2 trips to the WS in 5 years, winning one and later even having that pitching quartet of Cole Hamels, Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, and Roy Oswalt.

An no, the world doesn't revolve around the Phillies - they are the losingest franchise in all of professional sports, even more so than the Washington Generals. But they were pretty significant in the baseball universe, for an extended period of time, within the past 10-15 years. Just saying.
All true. But if they are not your team, you don't really give a shit about the details of what they did. I think most fan bases tend to be that way. I remember the Phillies were good for several years fairly recently, as they were at other times. Don't care about details though. I don't expect others to remember that the Tigers were down 3 games to 1 in 1968 and came back to win the series either. I recall it vividly though.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

AshevilleApp wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

All true. But if they are not your team, you don't really give a shit about the details of what they did. I think most fan bases tend to be that way. I remember the Phillies were good for several years fairly recently, as they were at other times. Don't care about details though. I don't expect others to remember that the Tigers were down 3 games to 1 in 1968 and came back to win the series either. I recall it vividly though.
Mickey Lolich! :thumb:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Ivytalk wrote:
AshevilleApp wrote:
Mickey Lolich! :thumb:
:thumb: Won games 2,5 and 7 pitching complete games. Outpitched Bob Gibson in game 7 in St. Louis. It was a weekday afternoon World Series Game 7. You likely won't see that any more. Ivy is an outlier to my theory. :lol:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan wrote:Lastly, here is Bryce Harper earlier this week dealing with a heckler, with the heckler oddly having a New York, not Philly, accent. Couldn't be a Bleacher Report"er" making their own story? Nah, couldn't be:
Not the right way to deal with a heckler. Bryce should be above this. Obviously that heckle was after his previous at bat, love how everyone makes it sound like he immediately hit the home run after it.

Still the king...
phpBB [video]
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Nobody will remember Zimmerman outside of DC ten years from now. No rings, no pennants.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan wrote:Nobody will remember Zimmerman outside of DC ten years from now. No rings, no pennants.
Half the posters here don't remember the Phillies winning the WS not that long ago. Your point?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AshevilleApp wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Mickey Lolich! :thumb:
:thumb: Won games 2,5 and 7 pitching complete games. Outpitched Bob Gibson in game 7 in St. Louis. It was a weekday afternoon World Series Game 7. You likely won't see that any more. Ivy is an outlier to my theory. :lol:
I remember Kirk Gibson's dinger. Does that count for anything? Maybe a cookie or something?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote:
93henfan wrote:Nobody will remember Zimmerman outside of DC ten years from now. No rings, no pennants.
Half the posters here don't remember the Phillies winning the WS not that long ago. Your point?
:stir: :lmao:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

89Hen wrote:
People remember champions and guys with great individual achievements.

They don't remember guys with 200 and something HRs with no rings, pennants, or even a victorious playoff series. Those are a dime a dozen.

That was the point. It's pretty clear.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan wrote:People remember champions
Sometimes.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote:
93henfan wrote:People remember champions
Sometimes.
44 years and counting for the Flyers. :coffee:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote:
89Hen wrote: Sometimes.
44 years and counting for the Flyers. :coffee:
Thank goodness "1975" doesn't lend itself very well to a chant like the Rangers "1940" did for all of those years or we'd be hearing that constantly. Or, we would if people were still watching hockey in this town. :ohno:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

GannonFan wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: 44 years and counting for the Flyers. :coffee:
Thank goodness "1975" doesn't lend itself very well to a chant like the Rangers "1940" did for all of those years or we'd be hearing that constantly. Or, we would if people were still watching hockey in this town. :ohno:
Yeah, good thing 1983 doesn't flow well either. :lol:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

93henfan wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
I remember back in the late 70s, the Sixers (with Erving and McGinnis) lost in the NBA Finals to Portland (with Walton, but still a team they should’ve beaten). The next year, they ran on the theme “We owe you one.” However, they lost in the conference finals, prompting one sportswriter to say “We owe you two!”
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ivytalk wrote:
93henfan wrote:
I remember back in the late 70s, the Sixers (with Erving and McGinnis) lost in the NBA Finals to Portland (with Walton, but still a team they should’ve beaten). The next year, they ran on the theme “We owe you one.” However, they lost in the conference finals, prompting one sportswriter to say “We owe you two!”
:nod:

Still trying to find the Life or Time magazine cover with Schmidt, Erving, Clarke and Bergey on the cover when all four teams were in the finals over two years.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
So important to win in years not evenly divisible by 10. :rofl: