Andrew Luck Abruptly Retires

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Andrew Luck Abruptly Retires

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:Luck did what was best for him and his family. What’s worth more: an extra 15-20 years of life, or a couple hundred million in the bank? He’ll never need the money, and he preserves his health. Win-win. Leave the kid alone.

:nod: :nod:
I have no problem with fans booing him if they want. Remember, some of these season ticket holders spend all of their discretionary income on these season tickets, they are literally all in on this. Debate whether that is wise or not (I remember being at a Flyers game where I got tickets from someone and the people I was sitting next to don't even take vacations - their only vacation was coming to Flyers games) but it's a reality. I don't doubt what Luck did was in his best interests and his health, but he also waited through an entire off-season and through much of the pre-season before deciding to step away. If he did this earlier the Colts could've planned for it, managed cap space for it, and had a legitimate replacement. Going with Jacoby Brissett is basically admitting that the year is over. So when fans find out that the season is pretty much over halfway through pre-season game #3 (a game, btw, that season ticket holders need to pay full price for and they struggle to even give the tickets away for free because the owners need to make an obscene amount of money so that they can afford to make the Luck's of the world multi-millionaires many times over) then I think it's perfectly reasonable that some of those fans, especially the ones that are mortgaged to the hilt just for the honor of being at these games, boo him for ruining the season they just spent all they can afford to spend. Especially when it's just a few minutes of booing, which I'm sure Luck can get out of his mind as he flits from exclusive beach to exclusive beach for the next 50 years of his life as he never needs to worry about money again. Poor, sad multi-millionaire. Some football fans booed him. :rofl:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

I have no problem with fans booing him if they want. Remember, some of these season ticket holders spend all of their discretionary income on these season tickets, they are literally all in on this. Debate whether that is wise or not (I remember being at a Flyers game where I got tickets from someone and the people I was sitting next to don't even take vacations - their only vacation was coming to Flyers games) but it's a reality. I don't doubt what Luck did was in his best interests and his health, but he also waited through an entire off-season and through much of the pre-season before deciding to step away. If he did this earlier the Colts could've planned for it, managed cap space for it, and had a legitimate replacement. Going with Jacoby Brissett is basically admitting that the year is over. So when fans find out that the season is pretty much over halfway through pre-season game #3 (a game, btw, that season ticket holders need to pay full price for and they struggle to even give the tickets away for free because the owners need to make an obscene amount of money so that they can afford to make the Luck's of the world multi-millionaires many times over) then I think it's perfectly reasonable that some of those fans, especially the ones that are mortgaged to the hilt just for the honor of being at these games, boo him for ruining the season they just spent all they can afford to spend. Especially when it's just a few minutes of booing, which I'm sure Luck can get out of his mind as he flits from exclusive beach to exclusive beach for the next 50 years of his life as he never needs to worry about money again. Poor, sad multi-millionaire. Some football fans booed him. :rofl:
Whatever you say, DakichFan. Or is it GottliebFan?
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

GannonFan wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

:nod: Nailed it.

A pro athlete who gets agitated by booing is a whiny bitch, plain and simple.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

93henfan wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
:nod: Nailed it at your usual considerable length.

Accuracy.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

GF likes to cover all angles. :lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

93henfan wrote:GF likes to cover all angles. :lol:
He's like a more succinct and rational JSO and I can't argue with anything he said.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote:
93henfan wrote:

Accuracy.
Yeah, I did type a lot in that one. My high school English teacher told me my style of writing was to hit them with a good point, and then rephrase it and hit 'em again. Or if you like, it's like I drive over them going forward, then I throw the car in reverse and run right back over them. :lol:
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

Ppl all over social media are crucifying him but he also has ppl who are backing his decision to retire.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Some ppl are saying that the Colts need to contact Eli Manning to replace him.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Whatever you say, DakichFan. Or is it GottliebFan?
I do like Dan Dakich. When I was a senior in high school I went out to Bob Knight's basketball camp at IU. Knight would only show up for like the first ten minutes, give a little speech to everyone that slightly bordered on inappropriate, and then would leave to play golf the rest of the day. Dakich was an assistant at IU at the time and he basically ran the rest of the camp. Real good guy, he had a lot of stories about IU basketball that were fun to hear. Pretty good basketball coach, from an x and o standpoint too as I remember.

I do like both guys - Dakich doesn't dance around something, he's pretty direct, and Gottlieb has the whole smart-ass routine down cold. With that said, I think they're much more accurate when talking about college basketball - that's both of their strengths.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Ivytalk wrote:
93henfan wrote:

Accuracy.
These ppl who are booing him are not taking the punishment he took for 7 yrs if the Colts had drafted decent Offense lineman in his early years he still be playing.That was the main problem the lack of a strong offensive line play led to all those injuries.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

GannonFan wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Whatever you say, DakichFan. Or is it GottliebFan?
I do like Dan Dakich. When I was a senior in high school I went out to Bob Knight's basketball camp at IU. Knight would only show up for like the first ten minutes, give a little speech to everyone that slightly bordered on inappropriate, and then would leave to play golf the rest of the day. Dakich was an assistant at IU at the time and he basically ran the rest of the camp. Real good guy, he had a lot of stories about IU basketball that were fun to hear. Pretty good basketball coach, from an x and o standpoint too as I remember.

I do like both guys - Dakich doesn't dance around something, he's pretty direct, and Gottlieb has the whole smart-ass routine down cold. With that said, I think they're much more accurate when talking about college basketball - that's both of their strengths.
Did you see what Troy Aikman said in response to what Gottlieb said about Luck calling it quits.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

dal4018 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Accuracy.
These ppl who are booing him are not taking the punishment he took for 7 yrs if the Colts had drafted decent Offense lineman in his early years he still be playing.That was the main problem the lack of a strong offensive line play led to all those injuries.
Who cares? They bought the seat. Booing is legal. They can boo him all they want.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dal4018 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

Did you see what Troy Aikman said in response to what Gottlieb said about Luck calling it quits.
I did, and I thought it was kind of naïve of Aikman. Did he miss the past 20-30 years of America where now everyone everywhere has access to voice their opinions on any subject no matter their expertise or lack thereof? Aikman's shock that people would have an opinion that's negative of Luck's decision is what's really shocking. What kind of bubble does Aikman live in? Oh, maybe that multi-millionaire bubble I mentioned a few posts back. With all that said, still hated Aikman as a player, love him as an in-game analyst. :thumb:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote:
dal4018 wrote: These ppl who are booing him are not taking the punishment he took for 7 yrs if the Colts had drafted decent Offense lineman in his early years he still be playing.That was the main problem the lack of a strong offensive line play led to all those injuries.
Who cares? They bought the seat. Booing is legal. They can boo him all they want.
Agreed.

Oh, and probably every single one of those folks booing him would, if they could, change places with him. If all you have to do is play off and on through injuries for 7 years to then retire at 29 years old and have more than $100M in the bank, I think everyone would sign up for that. His life is truly not a tragedy. Except now for the booing, which has really hurt his feelings. :coffee:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

GannonFan wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Agreed.

Oh, and probably every single one of those folks booing him would, if they could, change places with him. If all you have to do is play off and on through injuries for 7 years to then retire at 29 years old and have more than $100M in the bank, I think everyone would sign up for that. His life is truly not a tragedy. Except now for the booing, which has really hurt his feelings. :coffee:
It's tough, man. My boss booed me on one of my annual evaluation categories once. I have PTSD because of it.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

93henfan wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Agreed.

It's tough, man. My boss booed me on one of my annual evaluation categories once. I have PTSD because of it.
I booed the Coke guy that was stocking shelves in Walmart the other day. He only had pink lemonade instead of regular lemonade in cans. Sometime you just gotta call people out.
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

You can look at it two ways:

1- Not surprised at all Luck was booed - he would've been booed more loudly in a real sports town than he was in Indy. Yea everyone gets why you retired, but do it in the offseason, do it before the draft, do it before free agency. Colts fans booed because he just left them high & dry for the 2019 season, a season I'm assuming Colts fans looked at a division title run & further.

2- Luck actually did the Colts a favor. If he would've retired after last season the Colts would be stuck with someone like Haskins or Jones at QB. If you look at the current QB crop of talent coming out over the next two years there could be many stars out of that group - so if the Colts really "Suck Without Luck" their reward could be a top-notch QB for the next decade or so....
Make Delaware Football Great Again
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: The Russian

Post by Vidav »

phpBB [video]
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

The COLTS have a shot at going 9-7
They just need to win 2 of those first 5 - which will be tough... They might go 1-4 there

But if they come out of the by week 2-3 they could win 9 games

:nod:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus