Is Odessa-Midland, Texas a gun-free zone?

Political discussions
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Re: Is Odessa-Midland, Texas a gun-free zone?

Post by CitadelGrad »

No, I don't think they give away guns for free. They have to buy them just like everyone else.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

mainejeff2 wrote:Another angry young white man with an assault rifle. :roll: :oops:

Ho-hum....just another weekend mass shooting in Putin’s Amerika.

:coffee:
Are you this obnoxious everywhere or just on this board?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

css75 wrote:
mainejeff2 wrote:Another angry young white man with an assault rifle. :roll: :oops:

Are you this obnoxious everywhere or just on this board?

Do you not take it as well as you dish it out?
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Meanwhile in gun-free Chicago, 35 shot and 7 dead over the weekend by young angry black men. :ohno:
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

The question posed by Jeffie is most likely a dig at Texas gun laws...and the fact that no citizen with a legal gun stopped this mad man...

Well, he was driving around...so that by the time someone with a License to Carry realized what was going on, the mad man was gone...

I’ll take our laws, and the number of armed citizens any day, over Chicago...or Baltimore...or St. Louis any days...

And remember this...an armed citizen is not a police officer...is not a swat team...and I, for one, plan on first making sure my family is protected...then any innocent citizens that I can immediately protect...

I’m not going to ride to the rescue of just anybody or everybody...that’s what the police and swat teams are there for.

So, Jeff, try coming to Odessa or Midland, and pulling a gun in a resturant, or on the street...and find out just how much of a gun-free zone it is...

“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

mainejeff2 wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:The question posed by Jeffie is most likely a dig at Texas gun laws...and the fact that no citizen with a legal gun stopped this mad man...

Well, he was driving around...so that by the time someone with a License to Carry realized what was going on, the mad man was gone...

I’ll take our laws, and the number of armed citizens any day, over Chicago...or Baltimore...or St. Louis any days...

And remember this...an armed citizen is not a police officer...is not a swat team...and I, for one, plan on first making sure my family is protected...then any innocent citizens that I can immediately protect...

I’m not going to ride to the rescue of just anybody or everybody...that’s what the police and swat teams are there for.

So, Jeff, try coming to Odessa or Midland, and pulling a gun in a resturant, or on the street...and find out just how much of a gun-free zone it is...

You couldn't pay me enough to step foot in that crapola state again. :thumb:

Great...we don’t want you here...but you’re still welcomed to come...

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

mainejeff2 wrote:
Baldy wrote: Meanwhile in gun-free Chicago, 35 shot and 7 dead over the weekend by young angry black men. :ohno:
Yeah.....we covered that.

Now back to Texas where even more lax gun laws go into effect.....but those big old Texas men with their big old guns couldn't protect an innocent person if their life depended on it. :nod: :ohno:

If everybody carried, you wouldn’t have to depend on anybody else to protect yourself. But, as a typical lib, you put the responsibility on someone else, then chastise them when they fail.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

mainejeff2 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
If everybody carried, you wouldn’t have to depend on anybody else to protect yourself. But, as a typical lib, you put the responsibility on someone else, then chastise them when they fail.
I don't live in Texas.....I thought that everyone carried a gun in Texas? They should. :nod: :nod: :nod: That would eliminate some of the Texas advantage in the Electoral College. :thumb:

Then don’t speak about what you don’t know. :tothehand:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

mainejeff2 wrote:It all comes down to this....if you are black, don't visit Chicago.....if you are anyone, don't visit Texas.
Correct. Stay the fuck out. :tothehand:
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

Mojo Country!
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Col Hogan wrote:The question posed by Jeffie is most likely a dig at Texas gun laws...and the fact that no citizen with a legal gun stopped this mad man...

One of my problems with things as they stand is that your (correct) opinion here is a very minority position judging by the rhetoric of gun owners. In support of their position they invariably fall back to some form of the "good guy with a gun" argument. What they mean is that they want license to be a vigilante without any accountability.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

houndawg wrote:

One of my problems with things as they stand is that your (correct) opinion here is a very minority position judging by the rhetoric of gun owners. In support of their position they invariably fall back to some form of the "good guy with a gun" argument. What they mean is that they want license to be a vigilante without any accountability.
Houndy, I have heard some gun owners talk that way...but I believe they are a minority...

I know lots of Texas folks with an LTC (Texas License to Carry) and none of them are vigilantes...You are correct that there are some extremists that act and talk that way...just as there are extremists who want to take all or most guns away from law-abiding folks...

But talk is cheap...the folks I’ve heard with the big talk most likely are the same folks who run and hide when the SHTF!!!

Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Col Hogan wrote:
houndawg wrote:
Houndy, I have heard some gun owners talk that way...but I believe they are a minority...

I know lots of Texas folks with an LTC (Texas License to Carry) and none of them are vigilantes...You are correct that there are some extremists that act and talk that way...just as there are extremists who want to take all or most guns away from law-abiding folks...

But talk is cheap...the folks I’ve heard with the big talk most likely are the same folks who run and hide when the SHTF!!!

I'm actually kind of a fan of the vigilante attitude...
I have mixed feelings but overall mostly okay with it

:nod:

The George Zimmerman type aren't my favorite - stalking and shooting unarmed teenagers
but that typically isn't the case
its usually an attitude of "I don't expect anybody to save me" including the police
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote:
mainejeff2 wrote:
Yeah.....we covered that.

Now back to Texas where even more lax gun laws go into effect.....but those big old Texas men with their big old guns couldn't protect an innocent person if their life depended on it. :nod: :ohno:

Nice dodge. Quick feet for a big fella....his point is legit - the "good guy with a gun" is the gold standard for gun owners, but its a mirage. Somebody so afraid of going outside that they have to take a gun with them is going to save the day with his snub-nose .38. yeah right...we all saw at Parkland how useful a good guy wityh a gun is in that kind of situation - mind you I'm squarely with the cop on that one. Taking on an AR with your service pistol is a suicide mission that nobody should be expected to undertake and if he had he would have been just one more dead body in the schoolyard.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

mainejeff2 wrote:It all comes down to this....if you are black, don't visit Chicago.....if you are anyone, don't visit Texas.

Now c'mon bro, Texas is pretty backward in a lot of ways and is filled with walking redneck jokes, but I've never been to Texas and not had a great time. They are mostly big-hearted people who would literally give you the shirt off their back and they'll argue politics with you for hours in the same way we do it here - in fact, that's the crux of why I'm ok with Texans: they can take it as well as they dish it out and they can make fun of themselves better than you can. Hell, Jeffro, Molly Ivins was from Texas and they don't come no funnier than that. :thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: Is Odessa-Midland, Texas a gun-free zone?

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote:

Now c'mon bro, Texas is pretty backward in a lot of ways and is filled with walking redneck jokes, but I've never been to Texas and not had a great time. They are mostly big-hearted people who would literally give you the shirt off their back and they'll argue politics with you for hours in the same way we do it here - in fact, that's the crux of why I'm ok with Texans: they can take it as well as they dish it out and they can make fun of themselves better than you can. Hell, Jeffro, Molly Ivins was from Texas and they don't come no funnier than that. :thumb:
Molly Ivins was awesome. I miss reading her columns.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Col Hogan »

houndawg wrote:

Says the guy from Illinois...

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Col Hogan wrote:
houndawg wrote:

Says the guy from Illinois...

Illinois is over-regulated, not backward. :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote:

Wrong. What they mean is, when a bad guy with a gun breaks into their house, the good guy with a gun who lives there can defend themselves. But expecting a good guy with a gun to ride to your rescue simply because you’re too lazy to take responsibility for your own life, liberty and pursuit of happiness doesn’t make the good guy with a gun the bad guy.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote:
houndawg wrote:
Wrong. What they mean is, when a bad guy with a gun breaks into their house, the good guy with a gun who lives there can defend themselves. But expecting a good guy with a gun to ride to your rescue simply because you’re too lazy to take responsibility for your own life, liberty and pursuit of happiness doesn’t make the good guy with a gun the bad guy.

You always try to change the subject when you start hyper-ventilating. :roll:

You can defend your house the same way I do - with a Remington 870 or something similar. :coffee:

Wait until the gun grabbers figure out that all they have to do is move high-capacity semi-auto weapons into the same BATF category as machine guns.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

You can defend your house the same way I do - with a Remington 870 or something similar. :coffee:

Wait until the gun grabbers figure out that all they have to do is move high-capacity semi-auto weapons into the same BATF category as machine guns.
Yes, that's the next logical step for them and that's why we don't want to even begin to go down that road. I want the ability to defend my house with whatever the fuck I want to defend my house with. Period. End of discussion. As CID says, you want to change the law, amend the fucking constitution. Absent that, STFU. :nod: :nod:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

phpBB [video]
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote:
houndawg wrote:

Yes, that's the next logical step for them and that's why we don't want to even begin to go down that road. I want the ability to defend my house with whatever the fuck I want to defend my house with. Period. End of discussion. As CID says, you want to change the law, amend the fucking constitution. Absent that, STFU. :nod: :nod:
So join the well-regulated militia. They'll issue you some great stuff you can use to defend your home. They'll keep them safe in an armory, and you can bear them when necessary.:coffee:
css75
Level3
Level3

Is Odessa-Midland, Texas a gun-free zone?

Post by css75 »

houndawg wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
So join the well-regulated militia. They'll issue you some great stuff you can use to defend your home. They'll keep them safe in an armory, and you can bear them when necessary.:coffee:

You do not understand 2nd amendment well do you?

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

css75 wrote:
houndawg wrote:

You do not understand 2nd amendment well do you?
Yeah, that was perhaps the most stupid comment I've seen HD make, and that's saying something. :suspicious: