CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: Trump Tariffs = Tax Hike on all

Post by CID1990 »

CAA Flagship wrote:
CID1990 wrote:Everyone should hope the U.S. achieves its aims in the trade war with China:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ource=feed
Meh. I was hoping there would be some nugget in there that we haven't already figured out on our own in this thread.

But a Dem win in the 2020 election will not end the Trade War. It will likely lack the almost daily snowball fight on Twitter and in the media, but it will still continue. The Dems know it is necessary to continue. And they know any positive resolution will be considered a big political win for them.
I don’t know about the young turks in the Dem lineup, but if Warren’s policy position on her website is to be believed, she will have to continue the trade war if she plans to foment this “economic populism” she talks about.

The rest of the field would drop it just because Trump or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: RE: Re: Trump Tariffs = Tax Hike on all

Post by SeattleGriz »

CAA Flagship wrote:
CID1990 wrote:Everyone should hope the U.S. achieves its aims in the trade war with China:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ource=feed
Meh. I was hoping there would be some nugget in there that we haven't already figured out on our own in this thread.

But a Dem win in the 2020 election will not end the Trade War. It will likely lack the almost daily snowball fight on Twitter and in the media, but it will still continue. The Dems know it is necessary to continue. And they know any positive resolution will be considered a big political win for them.
Even Chuck Schumer had said via a Twitter that Trump is doing a good job on China.

I liked Trump's latest statement that eventually something had to be done in regards to China.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Interesting article on African Swine Flu is decimating pigs in China, and thus lowered the demand for soybeans.

The quantitative easing aspect of the story is interesting too.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/08/20/fa ... trade-war/
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

CAA Flagship wrote:A trade war "win" with respect to China is not only a better trade deal with China. That is the first, more direct, goal. But we can also "win" with an upset of the trading relationships with all countries. If China can't afford the tariffs, then we can look to other countries in Asia or South America, for example, to provide the same product where tariffs are not imposed. The goal here is to reduce our dependency on China and provide opportunities with countries that are better political and economic "allies" to the US.

The goal is to slow China's economic growth and that can be done either with a direct, and more favorable, trade deal with them, or helping create other markets to obtain the same products.
Well, Trump threw up on Twitter and let the cat out of the bag.

Trump says he’s ordering American companies to immediately start looking for an alternative to China

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/23/trump-s ... china.html
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

CAA Flagship wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:A trade war "win" with respect to China is not only a better trade deal with China. That is the first, more direct, goal. But we can also "win" with an upset of the trading relationships with all countries. If China can't afford the tariffs, then we can look to other countries in Asia or South America, for example, to provide the same product where tariffs are not imposed. The goal here is to reduce our dependency on China and provide opportunities with countries that are better political and economic "allies" to the US.

The goal is to slow China's economic growth and that can be done either with a direct, and more favorable, trade deal with them, or helping create other markets to obtain the same products.

Trump says he’s ordering American companies to immediately start looking for an alternative to China

So just how does Deranged Donald intend to order US companies to leave China?
:thumb:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

dbackjon wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Well, Trump threw up on Twitter and let the cat out of the bag.

You mean in the real world or in his head?
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

CAA Flagship wrote:
dbackjon wrote:
You mean in the real world or in his head?

Real World
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

dbackjon wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: You mean in the real world or in his head?

Real World
He's very limited in what he can do, especially with just a tweet. But I'll bet there are a bunch of Chinamen running around trying to figure it out.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

CAA Flagship wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Real World
He's very limited in what he can do, especially with just a tweet. But I'll bet there are a bunch of Chinamen running around trying to figure it out.
Can you imagine the uproar if Obama had said it? :nod: :nod: :nod:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

dbackjon wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: He's very limited in what he can do, especially with just a tweet. But I'll bet there are a bunch of Chinamen running around trying to figure it out.
Obama had more tact than balls. Trump is the opposite.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote:

Yeah...how is that going to work?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Does this mean all the Trump shit and his wife Ivanka's knockoff crap is banned as well?
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

What legal authority does Drumpf claim for “ordering” American companies to disengage from China? From anywhere?

Dumb sumbitch must be shorting Apple and Broadcom.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ivytalk wrote:What legal authority does Drumpf claim for “ordering” American companies to disengage from China? From anywhere?

Dumb sumbitch must be shorting Apple and Broadcom.
Not to defend him but I have to believe he was Tweeting tongue in cheek on that one. I mean, that's just TOO off the wall.

I do think, however, that he believes all that production could realistically be moved to the United States. And if he does it's an indication of how out of touch with reality he is.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

As I watch this unfold I keep thinking about the USFL and how Trump convinced it to impale itself.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

dbackjon wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: He's very limited in what he can do, especially with just a tweet. But I'll bet there are a bunch of Chinamen running around trying to figure it out.
I’d have fully supported Obama confronting China. I’m sure he would have been more eloquent about it, for sure.

But we can test your theory with President Warren... if her policy position on trade is to be believed them she will continue the confrontation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:As I watch this unfold I keep thinking about the USFL and how Trump convinced it to impale itself.
Talk about misfiring synapses! :lol:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

JohnStOnge wrote: Not to defend him but I have to believe he was Tweeting tongue in cheek on that one. I mean, that's just TOO off the wall.
Tongue in cheek? :ohno: :ohno: When has he ever done that?

This is what I believe he meant (and is certainly all he can do for the most part):
Our great American companies are STRONGLY SUGGESTED to immediately start looking for an alternative to China. But his natural ability to bumble words has gotten the MSM stirred up.
JohnStOnge wrote:I do think, however, that he believes all that production could realistically be moved to the United States. And if he does it's an indication of how out of touch with reality he is.
Nobody thinks that, not even him. But he certainly wants the US to be considered as an option. There are several other countries that can provide cheaper labor at this point in time. China has actually moved some of their production to other countries.

I mentioned before that part of the end goal is to source from places other than China. The trade imbalance will never be solved with China upping their imports from us. It can only happen by reducing their exports to us. When you are too reliant on one country, especially one that is politically and morally as different to us as China is, that makes us very vulnerable.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Biarritz, France — President Trump lauded his Chinese counterpart on Monday and said Beijing was actively reaching out to Washington to resume trade negotiations and "make a deal" to end a spiralling trade war. He made the remarks at a Group of Seven (G-7) summit in France with fellow world leaders, many of whom are gravely concerned about the impact of a deepening trade war between China and the U.S.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-chin ... e-leaving/

Interesting if true. Also of note: Chinese yaun dropped to an 11 year low, and Trump landed a trade deal with Japan.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

SDHornet wrote:
Biarritz, France — President Trump lauded his Chinese counterpart on Monday and said Beijing was actively reaching out to Washington to resume trade negotiations and "make a deal" to end a spiralling trade war. He made the remarks at a Group of Seven (G-7) summit in France with fellow world leaders, many of whom are gravely concerned about the impact of a deepening trade war between China and the U.S.

Interesting if true. Also of note: Chinese yaun dropped to an 11 year low
I think you know deep down that it's not true. :lol: It's Trump saying what he wishes were true.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
SDHornet wrote:

Interesting if true. Also of note: Chinese yaun dropped to an 11 year low
I think you know deep down that it's not true. :lol: It's Trump saying what he wishes were true.
It's CBS, so I take it with a grain of salt.

If Trump folds on this issue then it happens well before Nov 2020. I think the Chinese just opt to wait out the next 6 years of Trump and then things will go back to status quo when an establishment politico is in the WH. We'll see how it shakes out.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

SDHornet wrote:

Interesting if true. Also of note: Chinese yaun dropped to an 11 year low, and Trump landed a trade deal with Japan.
China denies it of course. Lying Trump
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Chinese manufacturers about ready to lose business if China doesn't devalue the Yuan further.

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-econ ... hem-donald
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

SeattleGriz wrote:Chinese manufacturers about ready to lose business if China doesn't devalue the Yuan further.

This entire thing is stupid. There's no reason to hurt our manufacturers and farmers; there's no reason to hurt China's. Trade and globalization isn't some zero-sum game. Will some of our sectors get outsourced? Of course. But any economist worth their salt will tell you that lifting other nations up allows them to turn around and spend money on our more expensive services, creating better paying jobs. As China has.

Mexico is another great example. Not only did we significantly lift their people up through NAFTA, but they now spend more on US goods and services than we lost in jobs. Sucks for those who lost manufacturing positions, but more high-paying US jobs were created and it was a net increase on our GDP. And not only that, but it helped decrease illegal crossings by Mexicans that it's almost non-relevant today.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

∞∞∞ wrote:
SeattleGriz wrote:Chinese manufacturers about ready to lose business if China doesn't devalue the Yuan further.

This entire thing is stupid. There's no reason to hurt our manufacturers and farmers; there's no reason to hurt China's. Trade and globalization isn't some zero-sum game. Will some of our sectors get outsourced? Of course. But any economist worth their salt will tell you that lifting other nations up allows them to turn around and spend money on our more expensive services, creating better paying jobs. As China has.

Mexico is another great example. Not only did we significantly lift their people up through NAFTA, but they now spend more on US goods and services than we lost in jobs. Sucks for those who lost manufacturing positions, but more high-paying US jobs were created and it was a net increase on our GDP. And not only that, but it helped decrease illegal crossings by Mexicans that it's almost non-relevant today.
Agree on several of your comments. But that is a very narrow view of the situation. China is nothing like Mexico. China has been on a course to control most of global trade on their terms. And their terms are not in the best interest of a global free market system.

Trade wars are never good for the involved parties in the near term. Everyone is in universal agreement on that. But there is also universal agreement that China's actions over the last 20+ years are not good for anyone but China. The ways to combat their actions can be debated, and several ways have already been tried with little success. Everyone knows that success won't happen overnight no matter what course is taken. Trump is taking the most forceful and blunt approach at a time when it is most affordable. We will never get them to concede to all, or even most, of our fair trade demands, but slowing their march to global economic control is occurring. That alone is a minor victory.