CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:Biden tells fake war story..
https://m.ctpost.com/news/article/As-he ... 399372.php
If Biden holds on and picks a woman of color (Harris or Tulsi) as Veep, he’ll stomp Trump. Even a Biden-Warren ticket (the White Menopause ticket) would stomp Trump.
I’d be cool with Biden-Warren

Biden goes into assisted care in 2023 (to escape Warren’s grating breathless voice) and Warren re-institutes the Trump trade policies.

Then we get a 300 page thread on CS where the usual suspects either defend or vilify Warren’s trade policies - while trying to reconcile how their positions were exactly opposite when Trump was doing it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:
If Biden holds on and picks a woman of color (Harris or Tulsi) as Veep, he’ll stomp Trump. Even a Biden-Warren ticket (the White Menopause ticket) would stomp Trump.

Biden goes into assisted care in 2023 (to escape Warren’s grating breathless voice) and Warren re-institutes the Trump trade policies.

Then we get a 300 page thread on CS where the usual suspects either defend or vilify Warren’s trade policies - while trying to reconcile how their positions were exactly opposite when Trump was doing it

If Warren ever became President I do not thing she would implement trade policies like Trump. We'll see what happens if Warren happens.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

We may never know because we don't know if Warren is ever going to be President. But if she does become President I don't think she's going to do what Trump is doing trade wise.

Hopefully we can remember this conversation if she becomes President. BTW, I don't think there is any way we'd be talking about a realistic possibility of her becoming President if the Republicans hadn't decided to hitch their wagon to Trump.
Well then John... is Warren lying on her policy position? It’s on her website - go take a look

It is Trump trade and domestic econ policy with a bunch of SJW language thrown in

So you think she’s just lying- check

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
We may never know because we don't know if Warren is ever going to be President. But if she does become President I don't think she's going to do what Trump is doing trade wise.

Hopefully we can remember this conversation if she becomes President. BTW, I don't think there is any way we'd be talking about a realistic possibility of her becoming President if the Republicans hadn't decided to hitch their wagon to Trump.
Well then John... is Warren lying on her policy position? It’s on her website - go take a look

It is Trump trade and domestic econ policy with a bunch of SJW language thrown in

I checked and I'm not seeing it. Feel free to direct me to what you're talking about.
Could I ever be a star?

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

I checked and I'm not seeing it. Feel free to direct me to what you're talking about.
The link to her policy paper is in this article-

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ican-trump

I’m not wading through her website again - did she take that part down after all the Trump comparisons?

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

I’m not wading through her website again - did she take that part down after all the Trump comparisons?

Cherokee people
Cherokee tribe
So proud to live
So proud to die
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

Ok. The article makes some general philosophy comparisons. What I'm talking about is that I don't think we'd see stuff like what Trump is doing with China from Warren. More likely than not we'll never know.
Could I ever be a star?

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Ok. The article makes some general philosophy comparisons. What I'm talking about is that I don't think we'd see stuff like what Trump is doing with China from Warren. More likely than not we'll never know.
True we may never know-

But even though we are still in the hypothetical, I’ll put you down as the first usual suspect I referred to earlier - defending Warren’s position

Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Donk Cliamte town hall on CNN was basically a long GOP political commercial, but kudos to Cory Booker and Andrew Yang for being realists on nuclear power.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Probably not, because no lifelong politician has the balls to call China on the carpet. We've been bent over and taking a high hard one from them for 75+ years.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

AZGrizFan wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
We've been bent over and taking a high hard one from them for 75+ years.
Don’t mix your metaphors. A high hard one is chin music. 8-)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ivytalk wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
We've been bent over and taking a high hard one from them for 75+ years.
:tothehand: :tothehand:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:
:tothehand: :tothehand:
Just pointing out that it’s physically impossible to be decked with chin music when you’re bent over. :dunce:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote:Current scorecard: "200+ individuals have filed with the Federal Election Commission to run for president in the Democratic Party primary, as of April 25, 2019".
"the candidates in this section have held public office, been included in a minimum of five independent national polls or have otherwise received substantial coverage
"

Dates they officially declared their candidacy, their ages, current job(s):
1. 11/6/17 Andrew Yang, 44, former CEO Venture for America.
2. 1/11 Tulsi Gabbard, 38, Rep HI 2013-present.
3. 1/12 Julian Castro, 44, Mayor of San Antonio 2009-2014; Sec HUD 2014-2017.
4. 1/21 Kamala Harris, 54, Sen CA 2017-present.
5. 1/28 John Delaney, 56, Rep MD 2013-2019.
6. 1/28 Marianne Williamson, 67, NYT best selling author.
7. 2/1 Spartacus, 50, Mayor Newark, NJ, 2006-2013; Senator NJ 2013-present.
8. 2/9 Pocahontas, 70, Sen MA 2013-present.
9. 2/10 Amy Klochbar, 59, Sen MN, 2007-present.
10. 2/19 Bernie Sanders, 77, Sen VT 2007-present.
11. 3/14 Robert O'Rourke, 46, Rep El Paso 2013-2019.
12. 4/14 Peter Buttigieg, 37, Mayor of South Bend, ND 2012-present, 1st openly gay donk candidate.
13. 3/28 Wayne Messam, 44, Mayor of Miramar, FL, 2015-present.
14. 4/4 Tim Ryan, 46, Rep OH 2003-present.
15. 4/25 Joe Biden, 76, former DE Senator & VP.
16. 5/2 Michael Bennet, 54, Sen CO 2009-present.
17. 5/14 Steve Bullock, 53, Gov Montana 2013-present.
18. 5/16 Bill De Blasio, 58, Mayor NYC 2014-present.

Withdrawn candidates:
1. 11/25/18 Richard Ojeda, 48, WV State Senator 2016-2019. 25 yrs Army. Withdrew 1/25.
2 4/8 Eric Swalwell, 38, Rep CA 2013-present. Withdrew 7/8.
3. 4/8 Mike Gravel, 89, former AK Senator. Withdrew 8/6.
4. 3/4 John Hickenlooper, 67, Mayor of Denver (2003–2011), Gov of Colorado (2011–2019). Withdrew 8/15.
5. 3/1 Jay Inslee, 68, Gov WA 2013-present.Withdrew 8/21.
6. 4/22 Seth Moulton, 40, Rep MA 2015-current. Withdrew 8/23.
7. 1/15 Kirsten Gillibrand, 52, Rep NY 2007-2009, Sen NY 2009-present. Withdrew 8/28
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Demo ... committees
Bump. 1st update since 5/16. Now added withdrawn candidates.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ivytalk wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: :tothehand: :tothehand:
Just pointing out that it’s physically impossible to be decked with chin music when you’re bent over. :dunce:
Depends on which side they're nailing you from (maybe both, it's been THAT bad...)
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

While I was driving back from field work today I heard Andrew Yang being interviewed on NPR and I was blown away. Just very impressive. When he was asked a question there was no equivocating. Very direct and substantive answers.

Like the discussion of his guaranteed income proposal. Twice he was hit with questions about pilot studies on the effects of a minimum guaranteed income. Once it was a caller referencing a study done in Mississippi and once it was the NPR host referencing a study done in Sweden. In both cases he was clearly familiar with the studies and provided detailed responses. He appeared to know more about the details of the studies than the people who asked him questions did.

Also, during the discussion, he pointed out that conservative economist icon Milton Friedman proposed a guaranteed minimum income. When I got home I Googled it an confirmed that he was correct.

He provided extremely compelling analysis of the effect of automation on jobs. He talked about the need to focus on "non repetitive cognitive" and "non repetitive manual" jobs because automation is going to largely eliminate "repetitive cognitive" and "repetitive manual" jobs. He cited plumber as a "non repetitive" manual job.

A caller called in about unions and he started spouting specific stats about union membership in the 1940s vs. now. I looked that up and he was correct.

It was by far the most intelligent presentation and set of responses I've ever heard from anybody running for office in my lifetime. No matter what he was asked he had a substantive answer. No evasion. No trying to focus on talking points. Just answered the question. And he seemed to be well informed about anything he was asked about. The guy has not shot. But if there were to be real debates based on substance he would destroy anybody else in the race on either side.
Could I ever be a star?

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Agreed. He has no shot.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Yeah, he would be a great candidate. I've tried to bring up the minimum guaranteed income on here a few times... prefacing it with Milton Friedman and Nixon to see if I could get the Conks to even entertain the idea. Nope.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

JohnStOnge wrote:While I was driving back from field work today I heard Andrew Yang being interviewed on NPR and I was blown away. Just very impressive. When he was asked a question there was no equivocating. Very direct and substantive answers.

Like the discussion of his guaranteed income proposal. Twice he was hit with questions about pilot studies on the effects of a minimum guaranteed income. Once it was a caller referencing a study done in Mississippi and once it was the NPR host referencing a study done in Sweden. In both cases he was clearly familiar with the studies and provided detailed responses. He appeared to know more about the details of the studies than the people who asked him questions did.

Also, during the discussion, he pointed out that conservative economist icon Milton Friedman proposed a guaranteed minimum income. When I got home I Googled it an confirmed that he was correct.

He provided extremely compelling analysis of the effect of automation on jobs. He talked about the need to focus on "non repetitive cognitive" and "non repetitive manual" jobs because automation is going to largely eliminate "repetitive cognitive" and "repetitive manual" jobs. He cited plumber as a "non repetitive" manual job.

A caller called in about unions and he started spouting specific stats about union membership in the 1940s vs. now. I looked that up and he was correct.

It was by far the most intelligent presentation and set of responses I've ever heard from anybody running for office in my lifetime. No matter what he was asked he had a substantive answer. No evasion. No trying to focus on talking points. Just answered the question. And he seemed to be well informed about anything he was asked about. The guy has not shot. But if there were to be real debates based on substance he would destroy anybody else in the race on either side.
I have a high amount of respect for him. He's the John Huntsman of the Democrats. I'm not sure about the concept of UBI, but it's not like an idea that was pulled out of someone's arse with no consideration whatsoever for practicality.

His discussion with Ben Shapiro on Youtube is actually really good and substantive and sadly not like anything you see anymore in media.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

Bernie’s latest climate change control: pay for abortions in other countries to help control population and thusly climate change.

He is totally warped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Pwns wrote:Donk Cliamte town hall on CNN was basically a long GOP political commercial, but kudos to Cory Booker and Andrew Yang for being realists on nuclear power.
I would vote for Yang if he were the nominee. He’s like this cycle’s Jim Webb.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote:
Pwns wrote:Donk Cliamte town hall on CNN was basically a long GOP political commercial, but kudos to Cory Booker and Andrew Yang for being realists on nuclear power.
I would vote for Yang if he were the nominee. He’s like this cycle’s Jim Webb.
Joe Sestak seems like another you’d like.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by UNI88 »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Yeah, he would be a great candidate. I've tried to bring up the minimum guaranteed income on here a few times... prefacing it with Milton Friedman and Nixon to see if I could get the Conks to even entertain the idea. Nope.
I don't remember the details but I believe CID has stated that he has reservations but isn't opposed to a minimum income.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

UNI88 wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:Yeah, he would be a great candidate. I've tried to bring up the minimum guaranteed income on here a few times... prefacing it with Milton Friedman and Nixon to see if I could get the Conks to even entertain the idea. Nope.
I don't remember the details but I believe CID has stated that he has reservations but isn't opposed to a minimum income.

So if CID jumped off the Empire State Building, would you jump off the Empire State Building? :roll:
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

UNI88 wrote:

That's pretty much it.

I know the potential repercussions (as well as the absolutely certain ones) but I'm not opposed outright

The more I hear Yang, the more I like him. He is VERY strong on policy - and outside of the guaranteed basic income thing, I think he's far and away the smartest person on the stage. He's straightforward and just a generally pleasant dude. He's also data driven and that's the kind of decision maker I like. He's a foreign policy realist and I suspect he will take a pragmatic approach to Russia and China. He's a bit quiet on China for the child of Taiwanese immigrants, but I know he understands the threat picture

He's for Medicare for all and that's a drawback for me, but I also think it is a political dead letter and he won't ultimately push it (and it won't matter if he does).

He might well be a statist but at the end of the day his ups outweigh his downs for me.

Edit- I'd vote for Amash over Yang but I suspect Amash isn't going to run and if that's the case, I'd vote for Yang. If Yang isn't the nominee then I'll throw my vote to the LP as long as it isn't some nutjob