All Things Alabama

Political discussions
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Re: All Things Alabama

Post by Baldy »

What did millions of American's do that their right to own guns should be taken away, because 297 people act out their violence and kill 1219 people. Over 10,000 drunk driving deaths per year, and it's illegal to drive drunk and people still drive drunk and still kill people.[/quote]
That is the $64,000 question that the Beto-lovers will never answer.

Why guns?

A psycho walks into a school in Parkland, FL and kills 17 kids. CNN has a town hall about the gun 'problem'.

A drunk driver crashes into a bus in Carrollton, KY and kills 24 children. Silence.

What's the difference? :?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Baldy wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:What did millions of American's do that their right to own guns should be taken away, because 297 people act out their violence and kill 1219 people. Over 10,000 drunk driving deaths per year, and it's illegal to drive drunk and people still drive drunk and still kill people.
That is the $64,000 question that the Beto-lovers will never answer.

Why guns?

A psycho walks into a school in Parkland, FL and kills 17 kids. CNN has a town hall about the gun 'problem'.

A drunk driver crashes into a bus in Carrollton, KY and kills 24 children. Silence.

Uh, not to be a killjoy here, but did you just reference a drunk driving bus accident that happened in 1988? And if you did, weren't there plenty of things that changed after that accident, especially in Kentucky? They lowered the intoxication limit, allowed prosecutors to use past DUI's on repeat offenders, made ignition locks tied to breathylizer tests for some convicted. Some would say, those are "common sense" DUI laws. :coffee:

https://www.whas11.com/article/news/loc ... e9a6768217
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

GannonFan wrote:
Baldy wrote: That is the $64,000 question that the Beto-lovers will never answer.

Why guns?

Uh, not to be a killjoy here, but did you just reference a drunk driving bus accident that happened in 1988? And if you did, weren't there plenty of things that changed after that accident, especially in Kentucky? They lowered the intoxication limit, allowed prosecutors to use past DUI's on repeat offenders, made ignition locks tied to breathylizer tests for some convicted. Some would say, those are "common sense" DUI laws. :coffee:

That's a good start, Ganny.

Were there discussions about banning certain types of alcohol, background checks, or waiting periods? Federally licensed alcohol dealers?
There are over 22,000 "common sense" gun laws on the books. How many are there for alcohol?

Not to mention all the health related issues with alcohol, addiction, etc.

Alcohol's negative effects on society are exponentially greater than guns, yet there is virtually no discussion.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Baldy wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

Were there discussions about banning certain types of alcohol, background checks, or waiting periods? Federally licensed alcohol dealers?
There are over 22,000 "common sense" gun laws on the books. How many are there for alcohol?

Alcohol's negative effects on society are exponentially greater than guns, yet there is virtually no discussion.
Drunk driving is not the analogy you want to make. Drunk driving related fatalities have plummeted since they started cracking down on it ~30 years ago.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Baldy wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

Well, you need to be 21 or older to drink (older than to buy a gun), alcohol is regulated by the FDA I believe, so there are regulations on how it's made, where it's made, etc. Lots of places have last calls (you can't buy beer at a baseball game after the 7th inning, NFL football I think it's the start of the 4th quarter, etc), bars can be legally held responsible if they give beer to someone who should be redflagged (i.e. they look like they are already drunk). As for the health related issues, alcoholism and the negative effects of alcohol are routinely reported on by health journals, and there is federal and private money devoted to the study of alcoholism and how to minimize it. There are laws and regulations all over the place regarding alcohol. Heck, we wouldn't have an ATF without alcohol. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
Baldy wrote: That's a good start, Ganny.

Drunk driving is not the analogy you want to make. Drunk driving related fatalities have plummeted since they started cracking down on it ~30 years ago.
Drunk driving isn't *the* analogy I'm trying to make. It's just one of countless possible analogies.
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

GannonFan wrote:
Baldy wrote: That's a good start, Ganny.

Well, you need to be 21 or older to drink (older than to buy a gun), alcohol is regulated by the FDA I believe, so there are regulations on how it's made, where it's made, etc. Lots of places have last calls (you can't buy beer at a baseball game after the 7th inning, NFL football I think it's the start of the 4th quarter, etc), bars can be legally held responsible if they give beer to someone who should be redflagged (i.e. they look like they are already drunk). As for the health related issues, alcoholism and the negative effects of alcohol are routinely reported on by health journals, and there is federal and private money devoted to the study of alcoholism and how to minimize it. There are laws and regulations all over the place regarding alcohol. Heck, we wouldn't have an ATF without alcohol. :coffee:
All of that is mostly true, but you are missing the point here. Alcohol related deaths exponentially dwarf gun related deaths. Alcohol is far more harmful and destructive to society than guns could ever be, but we have politicians and pundits alike actively trying to disarm society because guns are sooooo dangerous.
Why?
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

mainejeff2 wrote:
Baldy wrote: All of that is mostly true, but you are missing the point here. Alcohol related deaths exponentially dwarf gun related deaths. Alcohol is far more harmful and destructive to society than guns could ever be, but we have politicians and pundits alike actively trying to disarm society because guns are sooooo dangerous.
Why?
You've hitched your pony to a loser, Baldy! :thumb: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:coffee:
Take your best shot, queen.

Answer the question. :coffee:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

This ^ is actually pretty damned fascinating
Both sides have valid strong points

I change my mind to whoever posts last - which is the sign of a great debate

Gentlemen, please continue

Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Chizzang wrote:This ^ is actually pretty damned fascinating

Cleets reading Advanced Quantum Mechanics. :rofl:

Boning up for next Big Tech thread? 8-)
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Ivytalk wrote:
Chizzang wrote:This ^ is actually pretty damned fascinating

Cleets reading Advanced Quantum Mechanics. :rofl:

The funny thing is...
there is no such thing as "advanced" quantum mechanics
The implication that there would be advanced applications is subjective
and Quantum Mechanics proves there is no such thing as objective reality

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6130 ... e-reality/

:shock: where's JSO when you need him ?
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Chizzang wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Cleets reading Advanced Quantum Mechanics. :rofl:

The funny thing is...
there is no such thing as "advanced" quantum mechanics
The implication that there would be advanced applications is subjective
and Quantum Mechanics proves there is no such thing as objective reality

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6130 ... e-reality/

:shock: where's JSO when you need him ?
The absence of objective reality was empirically proven to me in my Research Methods class in grad school, and I’ve never even taken quantum mechanics! :nod:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Peems
I am a fan of: Da Griz

Post by Peems »

Not sure where you guys are getting your numbers but in 2017, according to the CDChttps://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/injury.htm more people died from firearm deaths than in all motor vehicle deaths combined, not just drunk driving.
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

Peems wrote:Not sure where you guys are getting your numbers but in 2017, according to the CDChttps://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/injury.htm more people died from firearm deaths than in all motor vehicle deaths combined, not just drunk driving.
Baldy wrote:Alcohol related deaths exponentially dwarf gun related deaths.
Drunk driving is only a tiny portion of alcohol related deaths.
Drinking too much can harm your health. Excessive alcohol use led to approximately 88,000 deaths and 2.5 million years of potential life lost (YPLL) each year in the United States from 2006 – 2010, shortening the lives of those who died by an average of 30 years.
https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/alcohol-use.htm

What say you, geoff?
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

mainejeff2 wrote:
Baldy wrote:
Drunk driving is only a tiny portion of alcohol related deaths.

https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/alcohol-use.htm

What say you, geoff?
You are hopeless, tard.

:coffee:
:crybaby:

Surrender accepted. :lol:
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by LeadBolt »