2020 Republican Primary Thread

Political discussions
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Re: 2020 Republican Primary Thread

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Ivytalk wrote:Weld, Walsh, Sanford, etc. can go pound sand.
why?
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

The Republican Party is totally corrupt at this point. It's in the process of committing long term suicide.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
why?
Because it is an unnecessary expense for someone to get just 5-10%, and I am being generous with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
why?
Reek, you misread my post. I was being sarcastic. Read it again. :roll:

If there is no announced opposition to an incumbent President, it might make sense to cancel a primary in his/her party to save time and money. If there is, such party should allow the primary to go forward. Who knows? There may be a Pete McCloskey or a Pat Buchanan lurking in there somewhere.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

css75 wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:
why?
Because it is an unnecessary expense for someone to get just 5-10%, and I am being generous with that.

They would likely get more than that in some States; especially States that allow residents to vote in either primary regardless of Party registration. He's been consistently under water Job Approval wise among Independents.

The State Republican Party people aren't doing this because of finances. It's not the first time it's been done. Both Parties have done it. But it's not being done to save money. Wasn't the reason when it's been done in the past either.

I think that this time the Republicans are particularly concerned. They're not concerned about him losing primaries. It's evident that people like Weld and Walsh are going to really go after Trump. They're worried about their input costing Trump votes in the general election. They know they've got a guy that is President by virtue of winning a handful of key States by very narrow margins and he can't afford to lose even marginal percentages
Could I ever be a star?

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote:
css75 wrote:

They would likely get more than that in some States; especially States that allow residents to vote in either primary regardless of Party registration. He's been consistently under water Job Approval wise among Independents.

The State Republican Party people aren't doing this because of finances. It's not the first time it's been done. Both Parties have done it. But it's not being done to save money. Wasn't the reason when it's been done in the past either.

I think that this time the Republicans are particularly concerned. They're not concerned about him losing primaries. It's evident that people like Weld and Walsh are going to really go after Trump. They're worried about their input costing Trump votes in the general election. They know they've got a guy that is President by virtue of winning a handful of key States by very narrow margins and he can't afford to lose even marginal percentages
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You mean like every president since Reagan?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

AZGrizFan wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

No. H. W. Bush won by an overwhelming margin (426 electoral votes). Clinton won by overwhelming margins both times. Obama won by overwhelming margins both times. None of those elections were like it was with Trump.

In none of those cases could you say "The winner won four States by less than one percentage point and if those three States had gone the other way the other candidate would've won."
Could I ever be a star?

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Trump won more states than Obama.

Hildabeast had 5 states (of the few that she won) that were < 5% from flipping red.

Hildabeast won NY and CA by 5mm votes. Lost the rest of the country by 3.5 million.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

JohnStOnge wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

No. H. W. Bush won by an overwhelming margin (426 electoral votes). Clinton won by overwhelming margins both times. Obama won by overwhelming margins both times. None of those elections were like it was with Trump.

In none of those cases could you say "The winner won four States by less than one percentage point and if those three States had gone the other way the other candidate would've won."
Clinton never won with 50%+ of the vote, he was under 50% both times, even against Dole of all people. I know how being under 50% is anathema to you. :rofl:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Hildabeast won NY and CA by 5mm votes. Lost the rest of the country by 3.5 million.
And, if you magically subtract Trump's biggest EC states (FL and TX), Hillary wins the EC quite comfortably. Does it mean anything? No. :lol:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
And, if you magically subtract Trump's biggest EC states (FL and TX), Hillary wins the EC quite comfortably. Does it mean anything? No. :lol:
In your scenario neither wins the EC dum dum. :finger:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:
In your scenario neither wins the EC dum dum. :finger:
* dumb dumb

(Amirite, Z?)
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
You're right. But neither does any of Johns incessant blathering on and on about the election. It is what it is. He's the president, and likely will be for another six years. Hell, he'll probably not win the popular vote AGAIN in 2020, given the concentration of donks in NY and CA.
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Yes, because the EC is what decides things.

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

GannonFan wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

Clinton never won with 50%+ of the vote, he was under 50% both times, even against Dole of all people. I know how being under 50% is anathema to you. :rofl:
Yes because there was a significant third Party candidate both times. But it was not a situation in which very small margins one way or another made a difference.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

AZGrizFan wrote:Trump won more states than Obama.

Hildabeast had 5 states (of the few that she won) that were < 5% from flipping red.
Note that I said three key States went Trump by <1%. 1% is less than 5%.

But the point is that it was a close election. He lost the popular vote and his electoral college win was narrow in historical terms. Trump cannot afford to lose much and still win.

This is what I'm talking about using Clinton's 1992 win over GW Bush as an example:

Clinton won only one State, Georgia, by less than 1% over Bush (43.5% to 42.9%). And if Georgia had gone the other way Clinton would still have won the election easily.

Trump won Michigan by 0.2%. He won Pennsylvania by 0.7%. He won Wisconsin by 0.8%. And, while it's not in the <1% club, he won Florida by 1.2%. And he won Florida while getting a lower overall percentage of the vote than Romney did. It's just that enough people voted third Party this time to create a situation in which he could win with that.

He won by the skin of his teeth. He can't lose much and win.
Could I ever be a star?

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:Trump won more states than Obama.

But the point is that it was a close election. He lost the popular vote and his electoral college win was narrow in historical terms. Trump cannot afford to lose much and still win.

This is what I'm talking about using Clinton's 1992 win over GW Bush as an example:

Clinton won only one State, Georgia, by less than 1% over Bush (43.5% to 42.9%). And if Georgia had gone the other way Clinton would still have won the election easily.

Trump won Michigan by 0.2%. He won Pennsylvania by 0.7%. He won Wisconsin by 0.8%. And, while it's not in the <1% club, he won Florida by 1.2%. And he won Florida while getting a lower overall percentage of the vote than Romney did. It's just that enough people voted third Party this time to create a situation in which he could win with that.

If there’s not a meaningful 3rd party candidate stealing votes from him you may see the popular vote be a lot closer this time, and some of those states won’t be as close as they were in ‘16. Every single person I know who voted 3rd party (which is almost everyone I know that’s not a hardcore donk) is voting Trump this time because of the kooks being put forward by the communist party.

course, that all depends on whether or not we get the desired (from the left and JSO) recession prior to November of ‘20. If that happens, all bets are off.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

If there’s not a meaningful 3rd party candidate stealing votes from him you may see the popular vote be a lot closer this time, and some of those states won’t be as close as they were in ‘16. Every single person I know who voted 3rd party (which is almost everyone I know that’s not a hardcore donk) is voting Trump this time because of the kooks being put forward by the communist party.

course, that all depends on whether or not we get the desired (from the left and JSO) recession prior to November of ‘20. If that happens, all bets are off.
Yeah! You guys show them commies and vote for Trump THIS time around! :rofl:

(Now that you’ve had time to see him in action)

This is our system in a nutshell. :clap:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

mainejeff2 wrote:It's laughable that some on here refer to the Democratic Party as "Communist". That would be totally the Republican Party!

Yes....Republicans cancelling primaries so that challengers to Dictator Trump have no chance to beat him for the Republican nomination. Not only that but rigging the system so that businesses, orgs and individuals that line the pockets of Republican politicians are rewarded with political favors and financial gain.

The Republican Party IS the American Communist Party. :nod: :nod: :nod: :thumb:

:coffee:
I'd think it's more cronyism than anything else. But it does remind me of this song...

phpBB [video]
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: 2020 Republican Primary Thread

Post by UNI88 »

mainejeff2 wrote:It's laughable that some on here refer to the Democratic Party as "Communist". That would be totally the Republican Party!

Yes....Republicans cancelling primaries so that challengers to Dictator Trump have no chance to beat him for the Republican nomination. Not only that but rigging the system so that businesses, orgs and individuals that line the pockets of Republican politicians are rewarded with political favors and financial gain.

Hold on, I'm confused. Are Republicans Commies or Nazis?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote:

Hold on, I'm confused. Are Republicans Commies or Nazis?

They’re feudalistic communazis...

Duh!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
UNI88 wrote:Hold on, I'm confused. Are Republicans Commies or Nazis?

Duh!
Hey, when people don't have a historical understanding of what any these terms even mean, then of course the GOP can be "feudalistic communazis". :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote:
kalm wrote:

Duh!
Hey, when people don't have a historical understanding of what any these terms even mean, then of course the GOP can be "feudalistic communazis". :coffee:
OK...how about neo-feudalistic reverse mercantilists? :)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

Yeah! You guys show them commies and vote for Trump THIS time around! :rofl:

(Now that you’ve had time to see him in action)

This is our system in a nutshell. :clap:
I WILL vote for him this time around. I'd love NOT to, but I have to, and it's because the Dems have gone full fucking retard with their slate of candidates and their wacko positions:

Blatant embracing of full-on socialism
Identity politics EVERYWHERE
EVERYTHING is racist if you deign to disagree
Open borders/banning ICE
Gun confiscation/mandatory buybacks
Reparations for African Americans
Reparations for LGBQT
Cancelling all student debt
free everything for illegals
voting rights for illegals
Hatred of the flag and all it represents
post-birth abortion ok but godforfuckingbid you break an eagle's egg (5 years in prison)
sanctuary cities (where they openly shit in the streets)
labeling NRA as a terrorist organization (while ignoring organizations that systematically kill millions)
banning straws & 32 oz sodas because they know what's best for you
universal healthcare
zero fossil fuel emissions requirement (with zero understanding of how battery power is generated)
Supporting green new deal to bankrupt the country
Embracing ANTIFA

I'll take crazy Donald Trump and his dumb tweets over all this every day of the week and twice on Sundays.