Football Championship Subdivision discussions
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Big Sky Power Rankings 9-9

Post by JALMOND »

Roughly two weeks in to the season and everyone in the Big Sky is still sort of seeing what they got. One more week to go before the conference season begins for most so one more week to get some questions answered that haven't been yet. Here are this week's Big Sky power rankings (last week in parenthesis). For the most part, not much movement, but that may change. All are my opinion. All are open for discussion.

1. Eastern Washington (1)---Last week, beat Lindenwood, Mo (DII) at home 59-31, this week at Jacksonville State (Ohio Valley)---The defense has been a little suspect for the Eagles but the offense seems to be in gear. All that will be tested with a trip across the country this week.

2. UC-Davis (2)---Last week, won at San Diego (Pioneer) 38-35, this week Lehigh (Patriot) at home---After a strong showing at a tough Cal team, the Aggies hit the road and got a strong test from the defending Pioneer League champs. They come home for a game with the Patriot League.

3. Weber State (3)---Last week, beat Cal Poly at home 41-24, this week at Nevada (FBS Mtn West)---The Wildcats had a little bit more trouble against the Mustangs but thankfully found some offense and got the win. They play another game at the Mountain West this week.

4. Montana (4)---Last week, beat North Alabama (Big South) at home 61-17, this week at Oregon (FBS Pac-12)---The Grizzlies toyed with their opponent for a half, then woke up and socked it to them. Their reward is their money game, a challenge at Oregon.

5. Montana State (6)---Last week, beat SE Missouri (Ohio Valley) at home 38-17, this week at Western Illinois (Mo Valley)---The Bobcats came out of their halftime speech on fire and put their game away against a 2018 playoff team. They will venture into Missouri Valley territory this week.

6 Northern Arizona (5)---Last week, lost at Arizona (FBS Pac-12) 65-41, this week Western New Mexico (DII) at home---The Lumberjacks found an inhospitable foe in their instate brethren seeking to make a statement. They will try to return the favor against a DII opponent this week.

7. Idaho State (7)---Last week, beat Western Colorado (DII) at home 38-13, this week at Utah (FBS Pac-12)---The Bengals started slow in their season opener but regained their footing for a good win. They will now head south into Pac-12 country for a tough test.

8. Portland State (8)---Last week, beat Simon Fraser (DII) at home 70-7, this week at Boise State (FBS Mtn West)---The Vikings slept through most of the first quarter before waking up and doing what they should have done. They better not try that strategy this week or it could get ugly.

9. Sacramento State (11)---Last week lost at Arizona State (FBS Pac-12) 19-7, this week Northern Colorado at home---It was surprising to wake up and see the Hornets defense kept the team in the game Friday night. Two good showings give the team hope. They get the Bears this week in a nonconference tussle.

10. Cal Poly (9)---Last week, lost at Weber State 41-24, this week at Oregon State (FBS Pac-12)---The Mustangs defense looked great the first week but did not play well the second week. The offense may need to outscore them. A good time to face a struggling Pac-12 team.

11. Idaho (10)---Last week, beat Central Washington (DII) 41-31, this week at Wyoming (FBS Mtn West)---Things are not coming easy for the Vandals since they stepped down from FBS. They got a win but could never breathe easy. Now they move on to the Mountain West area.

12. Northern Colorado (12)---Last week lost at Washington State (FBS Pac-12) 59-17, this week at Sacramento State---After looking pretty good the first week, the Bears ran into a buzzsaw the second week where nothing went right. A Big Sky nonconference game may be what they need.

13. Southern Utah (13)---Last week lost at Northern Iowa (Mo Valley) 34-14, this week Stephen F Austin (Southland) at home---The Thunderbirds came back home from their trip through the Missouri Valley with a loss to show. They now welcome a struggling Southland team to town.

RECAP: 1-3 out front, 4-8 staying close, 9-10 just behind, 11-13 beginning to fade.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Big Sky Power Rankings 9-9

Post by AZGrizFan »

Davis has done nothing to impress at this point. A 3 point win against a non scholly team? Really?
Beating a “playoff team” in SEMO doesn’t mean shit when that playoff team is from the Ohio Valley.
I think what NAU did was more impressive than either of those two squads.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

AZGrizFan wrote:Davis has done nothing to impress at this point. A 3 point win against a non scholly team? Really?
Beating a “playoff team” in SEMO doesn’t mean shit when that playoff team is from the Ohio Valley.
Arizona lost to Hawai'i, so it couldn't have been that impressive.
Davis gave Cal a game, and Cal beat Washington in Seattle.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

AZGrizFan wrote:I think what NAU did was more impressive than either of those two squads.
You're right. Giving up 51 points in one half is really impressive.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

JALMOND wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:I think what NAU did was more impressive than either of those two squads.
You're right. Giving up 51 points in one half is really impressive.
:roll: :roll:

More impressive than giving up 35 to USD like Davis did. :nod: :nod:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Mvemjsunpx wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:Davis has done nothing to impress at this point. A 3 point win against a non scholly team? Really?
Arizona lost to Hawai'i, so it couldn't have been that impressive.
Davis gave Cal a game, and Cal beat Washington in Seattle.
So using that logic a USD/Washington game should be close then, huh? :tothehand:
CPAlum
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Cal Poly

Post by CPAlum »

Davis was very lucky to have escaped SD with a win. Cal Poly really was far more dominant against USD than the score suggested. At Weber, Poly was closer than the score suggested....yes I'm being a homer but I don't quite see Poly falling based on last week's result and I certainly don't see Davis holding.
SACCAT
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by SACCAT »

SEMO was ranked 12th in the country (sure it is early) so I would say that is a good win , at this point in the season... I would say that is more impressive than getting beat by an FBS team 65-41.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SACCAT wrote:
SEMO was ranked 12th in the country (sure it is early) so I would say that is a good win , at this point in the season... I would say that is more impressive than getting beat by an FBS team 65-41.
SEMO is an Ohio Valley team. They have zero business being ranked 12th in ANYTHING. :lol:
catbooster
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by catbooster »

AZGrizFan wrote:
SACCAT wrote:
SEMO is an Ohio Valley team. They have zero business being ranked 12th in ANYTHING. :lol:
Well, maybe they're not a Big South powerhouse like North Alabama, but they had a decent start to their season.

Not sure anyone in the Big Sky had a great result this week - maybe Weber finding some offense. Still early to judge how good these teams are.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

catbooster wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Well, maybe they're not a Big South powerhouse like North Alabama, but they had a decent start to their season.

Not sure anyone in the Big Sky had a great result this week - maybe Weber finding some offense. Still early to judge how good these teams are.
UCD ought to thank their lucky stars that USD dude fumbled into the end zone on the last play of the game. In fact, it sounds familiar. :ohno: :ohno:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

CPAlum wrote:Davis was very lucky to have escaped SD with a win. Cal Poly really was far more dominant against USD than the score suggested. At Weber, Poly was closer than the score suggested....yes I'm being a homer but I don't quite see Poly falling based on last week's result and I certainly don't see Davis holding.
Eh, that gift TD off the muffed punt kept this game closer than it was. Weebs mud stomped CP in the second half. That said I like CPs QB, I think he will be something special. If CP tightens up on the defensive side I think you guys will be just fine this season.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Good run down as always J. :thumb:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

:nod:

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

1. EWU
2. BBQ
3. Griz
4. Sac
5. NAU
6. Kitties
7. PSU
8. Bungles
9. Cow Poly
10. Idalol
11. SUU
12. UNC

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
CPAlum
Level1
Level1

Post by CPAlum »

SDHornet wrote:
CPAlum wrote:Davis was very lucky to have escaped SD with a win. Cal Poly really was far more dominant against USD than the score suggested. At Weber, Poly was closer than the score suggested....yes I'm being a homer but I don't quite see Poly falling based on last week's result and I certainly don't see Davis holding.
Eh, that gift TD off the muffed punt kept this game closer than it was. Weebs mud stomped CP in the second half. That said I like CPs QB, I think he will be something special. If CP tightens up on the defensive side I think you guys will be just fine this season.
You mean when the ball bounced off the head of a CP special teams player and Weber ended up with the ball on the CP 15? That swung the game to Weber ...didn’t make it closer....maybe I’m confused?
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

CPAlum wrote:
SDHornet wrote: Eh, that gift TD off the muffed punt kept this game closer than it was. Weebs mud stomped CP in the second half. That said I like CPs QB, I think he will be something special. If CP tightens up on the defensive side I think you guys will be just fine this season.
You mean when the ball bounced off the head of a CP special teams player and Weber ended up with the ball on the CP 15? That swung the game to Weber ...didn’t make it closer....maybe I’m confused?
I was talking about the WSU stopping CP on 4th and goal, then WSU punted on their ensuing possession and their punter flubbed the handle and gifted CP a TD.
CPAlum
Level1
Level1

Post by CPAlum »

SDHornet wrote:
CPAlum wrote:
I was talking about the WSU stopping CP on 4th and goal, then WSU punted on their ensuing possession and their punter flubbed the handle and gifted CP a TD.
Gotcha...ya that was lame and then kind of neat

Actually that was kind of a telling moment. Good Poly teams over the past 15 or so years have always been able to find a yard on 4 and inches. Hamler looks like the real deal to me but we don’t quite have that FB dive working. In a bit of irony Poly can now pass for a first down but the short yardage appears harder to come by
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

CPAlum wrote:
SDHornet wrote: I was talking about the WSU stopping CP on 4th and goal, then WSU punted on their ensuing possession and their punter flubbed the handle and gifted CP a TD.
Gotcha...ya that was lame and then kind of neat

Actually that was kind of a telling moment. Good Poly teams over the past 15 or so years have always been able to find a yard on 4 and inches. Hamler looks like the real deal to me but we don’t quite have that FB dive working. In a bit of irony Poly can now pass for a first down but the short yardage appears harder to come by
That is pretty ironic. Like I said, I think CP comes around this season and will do fine.