Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: 9/14/19: North Dakota State @ Delaware

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
I've been around 16 years, since 2003. I saw I-AA schools play in Fargo in the late 1970's early 80's. Weber St and NAU back in the day.
Back in the days when Montana Tech, Carson-Newman, Arkansas Monticello, Concordia-St Paul were staples on your schedule?

Seeing a crappy Weber St or NAU who were D2 at the time doesn't mean you followed I-AA football back then.
Indeed. The real gut blow for FCS, IMO, has been the complete decimation of the Southern Conference to either teams leaving or traditional powers just fading away. No one really liked the SoCon when they were the dominant conference for 2 or 3 decades, but there was no doubt they were the bellwether of the subdivision.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
I've been around 16 years, since 2003. I saw I-AA schools play in Fargo in the late 1970's early 80's. Weber St and NAU back in the day.
Back in the days when Montana Tech, Carson-Newman, Arkansas Monticello, Concordia-St Paul were staples on your schedule?

Seeing a crappy Weber St or NAU who were D2 at the time doesn't mean you followed I-AA football back then.
The year NDSU played Concordia St Paul, they also beat Ball St and Georgia Southern and lost on a blocked FG to Minnesota. Those teams were 1 offs, while Delaware had a real staple in West Chester.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:

But I did see NDSU win college Division Titles, and a bowl win over Montana. The 1960's and 1970's, NDSU was in the same division as Delaware, and won 3 National Titles. I've been watching Bison football for 50+ years. I-AA didn't start until 1978. Many of us Bison fans wanted a move back then, but several conference members could not afford or want to make the move.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
89Hen wrote: Back in the days when Montana Tech, Carson-Newman, Arkansas Monticello, Concordia-St Paul were staples on your schedule?

The year NDSU played Concordia St Paul, they also beat Ball St and Georgia Southern and lost on a blocked FG to Minnesota. Those teams were 1 offs, while Delaware had a real staple in West Chester.
You mean 3-8 Georgia Southern and 5-6 Ball State?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
89Hen wrote: Back in the days when Montana Tech, Carson-Newman, Arkansas Monticello, Concordia-St Paul were staples on your schedule?

But I did see NDSU win college Division Titles, and a bowl win over Montana. The 1960's and 1970's, NDSU was in the same division as Delaware, and won 3 National Titles. I've been watching Bison football for 50+ years. I-AA didn't start until 1978. Many of us Bison fans wanted a move back then, but several conference members could not afford or want to make the move.
Nobody questioned your watching of NDSU Gil. We know you're a true fan of the Bizen.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
You mean 3-8 Georgia Southern and 5-6 Ball State?
GSU did beat Elon and Coastal that year.

The following season beating Central Michigan 44-14, with Antonio Brown and Minnesota.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
89Hen wrote: You mean 3-8 Georgia Southern and 5-6 Ball State?

The following season beating Central Michigan 44-14, with Antonio Brown and Minnesota.
:suspicious: 2006 Elon and Coastal were not good. Don't let a playoff berth for CCU fool you.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:

:suspicious: 2006 Elon and Coastal were not good. Don't let a playoff berth for CCU fool you.
Georgia Southern fans were saying how impressed they were with NDSU at the time. The just wished their team could have put up a fight.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:
89Hen wrote: :suspicious: 2006 Elon and Coastal were not good. Don't let a playoff berth for CCU fool you.
Georgia Southern fans were saying how impressed they were with NDSU at the time. The just wished their team could have put up a fight.
NDSU is an impressive program no doubt, but you are the outlier.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:
NDSU is an impressive program no doubt, but you are the outlier.
Agreed. It's not NDSU's fault that the rest of FCS has just dropped in quality over the past decade. :nod:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: NDSU is an impressive program no doubt, but you are the outlier.
Agreed. It's not NDSU's fault that the rest of FCS has just dropped in quality over the past decade. :nod:
Cripes, could you imagine how bad it would be without them?
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Cripes, could you imagine how bad it would be without them?
I watch Big Sky games all the time. I don't need to imagine.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: 9/14/19: North Dakota State @ Delaware

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote:Like I said, I call 'em like I see them, and while the NDSU team I saw in person on Saturday was a good team, there are just not as good as the other I-AA/FCS teams I've seen either in Newark or in other venues in my 45+ years of watching football at this level. The Appy St teams under Armanti Edwards were better. The UD '03 team was better. The GSU teams with AP were better. Heck, the surprise UMass team that won the title in '98 was better. The Marshall team with Randy Moss was a lot better. The Montana teams with Dan Dickenson were better. The GSU teams with Tracey Ham were better. The Arkansas St team that got flattened by those Tracey Ham teams was better. Give credit to NDSU for winning year after year. But that by itself is an indication of the weakness of FCS football these days that you can have a team win that many in a row without some other program or team stepping up. That's why I'm saving Gil's post, even he, as an NDSU fan, is saying this year's version isn't the same as the ones that came before it. If they win it again, as they will, that will speak volumes about the state of FCS football.
I disagree. What GSU and Ham did was incredible but the 2018 Bison beat the 1985 Eagles with Ham.

There might be fewer kids playing football but those that are are bigger, stronger, faster and better trained than they were 20-30+ years ago.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote:the 2018 Bison beat the 1985 Eagles with Ham
Link please
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote:
UNI88 wrote:the 2018 Bison beat the 1985 Eagles with Ham
Link please

You and Ganny are on here spouting your opinions that the Bison aren't as good as teams from the past so do I really need to add "in my opinion"? Do you have links showing they aren't as good?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote:You and Ganny are on here spouting your opinions that the Bison aren't as good as teams from the past so do I really need to add "in my opinion"?
Yes. :kisswink:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

I still have an old copy of EA Sports NCAA Football and I edit in teams. I just ran the simulation of the '85 Eagles with Ham and they ran roughshod over the 2018 Bison. 35-3 final for GSU. I felt bad for the Bison, just haven't been tested enough in the shell of the FCS they play in now. :rofl:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote:I still have an old copy of EA Sports NCAA Football and I edit in teams. I just ran the simulation of the '85 Eagles with Ham and they ran roughshod over the 2018 Bison. 35-3 final for GSU. I felt bad for the Bison, just haven't been tested enough in the shell of the FCS they play in now. :rofl:
1985 Bison would have beat the 85 Eagles, just sayin.

Bison has a wicked Veer options, with 2nd round draft pick Stacy Robinson to keep you honest. Robinson caught a few passes and a TD for the Giants in the Super Bowls.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote:
GannonFan wrote:I still have an old copy of EA Sports NCAA Football and I edit in teams. I just ran the simulation of the '85 Eagles with Ham and they ran roughshod over the 2018 Bison. 35-3 final for GSU. I felt bad for the Bison, just haven't been tested enough in the shell of the FCS they play in now. :rofl:

Bison has a wicked Veer options, with 2nd round draft pick Stacy Robinson to keep you honest. Robinson caught a few passes and a TD for the Giants in the Super Bowls.
The ‘85 EWU Eagles made it to the playoffs in their 1st or 2nd year of eligibility as an independent (they had been denied Big Sky membership that Spring). They lost UNI in the quarters 17-14. UNI lost by a TD to GSU in the semis.

That EWU team would get destroyed by any of the last decade.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote:

I don't know about that. The Eagles ran the Veer out of the Flexbone so they were more than familiar with it and Ham was transcendent player, better than Edwards IMO (is it ok to use text shortcuts like IMO 89? I know some of you curmudgeonly Hens fans have trouble with new fangled technology:D ). Ham and Erk led GSU from a startup to I-AA champions in a very short time.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:

The ‘85 EWU Eagles made it to the playoffs in their 1st or 2nd year of eligibility as an independent (they had been denied Big Sky membership that Spring). They lost UNI in the quarters 17-14. UNI lost by a TD to GSU in the semis.

Exactly. I was at both of those games.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote:

Just curious, who did EWU beat in the first round?
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

A bit late but my thoughts on the day:

93 is exactly how I pictured him. Just a typically government worker. :D

Ivy is much more distinguished in person than I thought and he already was pretty high in the book. Must be the education..... :kisswink:

It was a pleasure in meeting up with you two before the game. Appreciate the conversation and you guys swinging by. Always good to out a face to a name. :thumb:

Delaware has a nice stadium and it is only going to get better when the construction is completed. Would go to a game there even if NDSU wasn't playing and your tailgating fans were nice and even offered me a beer. :shock: :D :notworthy:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Winterborn wrote:A bit late but my thoughts on the day:

Ivy is much more distinguished in person than I thought and he already was pretty high in the book. Must be the education..... :kisswink:

It was a pleasure in meeting up with you two before the game. Appreciate the conversation and you guys swinging by. Always good to out a face to a name. :thumb:

Delaware has a nice stadium and it is only going to get better when the construction is completed. Would go to a game there even if NDSU wasn't playing and your tailgating fans were nice and even offered me a beer. :shock: :D :notworthy:
It was definitely great meeting you, cx500d, POD Knows, Bisonoline, Southern Bison, and Upstate Bison. The top several programs in FCS should do these home and homes more regularly. Delaware and Montana is on my wish list.

I apologize for triggering a 25+ page thread (in 2 days!) on AGS about a fake FG I wasn't even still in the stadium to witness and questioning NDSU's dickishness. :lol: It's just kind of what I do.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

93henfan wrote:
Winterborn wrote:A bit late but my thoughts on the day:

It was definitely great meeting you, cx500d, POD Knows, Bisonoline, Southern Bison, and Upstate Bison. The top several programs in FCS should do these home and homes more regularly. Delaware and Montana is on my wish list.

I apologize for triggering a 25+ page thread (in 2 days!) on AGS about a fake FG I wasn't even still in the stadium to witness and questioning NDSU's dickishness. :lol: It's just kind of what I do.
Definitely agree on the home and home thing. Might make some of the playoff committee decisions a bit easier.

Never apologize, it is a sign of weakness. :nod: I think it is a fair comment and on one hand I agree with you and on the other I like it. That said, I sure will not complain when somebody else does it to us in the future.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein