Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Blue Migration

Post by kalm »

Another point JSO is right about. Here come the liberals!

:lol:
Two weeks ago, I published an article on what I called the urban exodus. More specifically, it is a blue urban exodus, as left-leaning metros in blue states are losing population. The New York City metro area is shrinking by 277 people every day. Other areas bleeding thousands of net movers each year include Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Jose, San Diego, Chicago, Boston, and Baltimore—all in states that routinely vote for Democrats by wide margins.

These movers are U-Hauling to ruddier states in the South and West. The five fastest-growing metros of the past few years—Dallas, Phoenix, Houston, Atlanta, and Orlando, Florida—are in states won by Trump. The other metro areas with a population of at least 1 million that grew by at least 1.5 percent last year were Las Vegas; Austin, Texas; Orlando, Florida; Raleigh, North Carolina; Jacksonville, Florida; Charlotte, North Carolina; San Antonio; Tampa, Florida; and Nashville, Tennessee. All of those metros are in red or purple states.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ium=social
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Blue Migration

Post by AZGrizFan »

So, theoretically, shouldn't CA & NY soon be in play because of the reverse? lol
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

They don't like the liberal policies and high taxation in the blue cities so those that can move away. Then they vote for the same type of elected officials that created the policies they are fleeing in the new locations expecting a different result. :ohno:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

HI54UNI wrote:They don't like the liberal policies and high taxation in the blue cities so those that can move away. Then they vote for the same type of elected officials that created the policies they are fleeing in the new locations expecting a different result. :ohno:

Not necessarily true - they may want less crowding, etc. But they also want the progressive policies and services that a Progressive state supplies.

But what does crack me up (I used to see this in Tennessee all the time) is when someone moves to the country or small town "because of high taxes" then starts bitching about the lack of services. Well, duh.

Arizona and Texas are both turning more purple.
:thumb:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

More purple is better IMO. I think we get into trouble when things are solidly blue or solidly red. And you have seen places that were more blue turn purple - PA, Michigan, and WI going more purple this past election is what gave us Trump.

Only drawback to this is in Congress - more states being purple mean more chance of turnover of Reps and Senators from those states. Since leadership positions in Congress tend to be on seniority, you end up with the leaders being the old folks from states where they haven't faced a real election in many terms. That's how you end up with a Feinstein and a Grassley, both 86, running part of the show despite their diminished capabilities.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote:
But what does crack me up (I used to see this in Tennessee all the time) is when someone moves to the country or small town "because of high taxes" then starts bitching about the lack of services. Well, duh.

That's the only universal truth in politics - people will always want as much as they can get while paying the least as possible to get it. Hence, the getting something for free while getting someone else to pay for it entirely is the political nirvana.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote:More purple is better IMO. I think we get into trouble when things are solidly blue or solidly red. And you have seen places that were more blue turn purple - PA, Michigan, and WI going more purple this past election is what gave us Trump.

Only drawback to this is in Congress - more states being purple mean more chance of turnover of Reps and Senators from those states. Since leadership positions in Congress tend to be on seniority, you end up with the leaders being the old folks from states where they haven't faced a real election in many terms. That's how you end up with a Feinstein and a Grassley, both 86, running part of the show despite their diminished capabilities.
I can remember when Iowa was a purple state with Grassley (R) and Harkin (D) as the senators. Grassley was a much more moderate R who sparred with Reagan & HW over the budget, defense spending and the first Iraq War.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

That's the problem with folks being in office so long. People in Vermont remember Patrick Leahy running against the Nixonian corruption in government when he first came to office.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

HI54UNI wrote:They don't like the liberal policies and high taxation in the blue cities so those that can move away. Then they vote for the same type of elected officials that created the policies they are fleeing in the new locations expecting a different result. :ohno:
In Delaware, this is absolutely true. We’re getting the flotsam and jetsam of NY, NJ, PA, and MD who do absolutely nothing for their new communities, and they vote solidly Donk. :thumbdown:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Ivytalk wrote:
In Delaware, this is absolutely true. We’re getting the flotsam and jetsam of NY, NJ, PA, and MD who do absolutely nothing for their new communities, and they vote solidly Donk. :thumbdown:
add two Liberals to the Minneapolis suburbs...

We'll be there by the end of October
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Chizzang wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: In Delaware, this is absolutely true. We’re getting the flotsam and jetsam of NY, NJ, PA, and MD who do absolutely nothing for their new communities, and they vote solidly Donk. :thumbdown:

The Democratic Farmer Labor Party is looking forward to meeting you.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

Chizzang wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: In Delaware, this is absolutely true. We’re getting the flotsam and jetsam of NY, NJ, PA, and MD who do absolutely nothing for their new communities, and they vote solidly Donk. :thumbdown:

You'll fit in well in MSP. Just don't venture out to the hinterlands of Minnesota or you might not come back. :lol:

Has the girlfriend ever lived in Minnesota before? Or anywhere cold? If not make sure you buy her a good coat.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

HI54UNI wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

You'll fit in well in MSP. Just don't venture out to the hinterlands of Minnesota or you might not come back. :lol:

Has the girlfriend ever lived in Minnesota before? Or anywhere cold? If not make sure you buy her a good coat.
The hinterlands around Duluth and the Iron Range, are pretty safe for DFL supporters. The district Edina is in, is pretty much blue.
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

Well they already overran Missoula, then Helena, then Bozeman... watch out Butte!

Montana Blue for 2032!
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Silenoz wrote:Well they already overran Missoula, then Helena, then Bozeman... watch out Butte!

Montana Blue for 2032!

Uh oh - you just triggered Alphie.

He's currently in his command tower scouring the streets of Butte for California plates.
:thumb:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

HI54UNI wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

She grew up on a farm 25 minutes west of Pittsburgh
She's tougher than I am... I damn near died when I lived in Missoula (fuck that place in the winter)

:shock:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

Chizzang wrote:
HI54UNI wrote:

She grew up on a farm 25 minutes west of Pittsburgh
She's tougher than I am... I damn near died when I lived in Missoula (fuck that place in the winter)

:shock:

:lol: :lol:

Good luck come January and February. Hopefully you have some flexibility when you can go to your place in Palm Springs.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire