JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: Impeach Trump!

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ibanez wrote:
css75 wrote:Sorry to disappoint you rabid pro Impeachers. The NYT said the so called whistle blower met with Schiff prior to submitting statement, which shows Schiff probably gave guidance to this. Also, rewriting the rules so hearsay could be used just before this apis certainly skeptic ready.

Basically, this all makes another big fat nothing Image and jelly, JSO and other haters will end up with egg on their faces. AGAIN!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Actually it shows that he met with Schiff. Nothing more. I'd like to see your evidence.

And the rules weren't re-written. That's been debunked.
It did not show that he met with Schiff.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

GannonFan wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
As I said in another post: The Steele Dossier has not been shown to be fake and some of it has been verified. You really, really need to break free from the cult and quit repeating those talking points.

Referencing the whistleblower thing is even worse because we have the President releasing a call summary that validates what the whistleblower reported.

To use a cliche: Quit drinking the Kool Aid.
Of course, the big elephant in the room regarding the Steele Dossier is that it involved one political campaign (actually, more than one) paying foreign entities money to collect dirt on another political campaign. And then that information, in some part, fed into the federal investigation of the next Presidential administration. Hard to get around the idea of political campaigns paying foreign countries to come up with damaging information regarding political opponents. :coffee:
"Foreign entities" is different than "Foreign countries." A private consultant getting information from foreigners is different than a foreign country making an effort to interfere in an election. In any case: The Steele Dossier has not been discredited as a general matter. The idea that is has been is one of those myths being spun out by the Republican side. Some of it has been verified. Some of it has not.
Could I ever be a star?

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Of course, the big elephant in the room regarding the Steele Dossier is that it involved one political campaign (actually, more than one) paying foreign entities money to collect dirt on another political campaign. And then that information, in some part, fed into the federal investigation of the next Presidential administration. Hard to get around the idea of political campaigns paying foreign countries to come up with damaging information regarding political opponents. :coffee:
"Foreign entities" is different than "Foreign countries." A private consultant getting information from foreigners is different than a foreign country making an effort to interfere in an election. In any case: The Steele Dossier has not been discredited as a general matter. The idea that is has been is one of those myths being spun out by the Republican side. Some of it has been verified. Some of it has not.
You have already been told that your “some of the dossier is verified” schtick is misleading. Fix yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

JohnStOnge wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Come on, that's your defense? Heck, most of the drama in the whole Red Scare thing that got folks in trouble were that pretty much any Russian anyone talked to could, in some way, be connected to the KGB or whatever they call it now. Heck, the Russian ambassador, on regular mainstream news outlets, was being reported as a master Russian spy in charge of recruiting Americans. Steele wasn't putting out flyers and taking phone calls from private citizens, he was using his connections in the intelligence world to talk to intelligence agents in Russia. So people who worked directly for the Russian government. And whether the information was correct or not isn't part of the debate at all, it's whether American citizens, as part of a political campaign, not only seeking out that information but paying money for it, is bad or not. Or if it's any different than the President doing the same thing. I frankly think they're both objectionable and both pretty much the same.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

mainejeff2 wrote:#MoscowMitch has been very quiet lately.

:coffee:
He and his (not so secret) boyfriend took a vacation to go protest Planned Parenthood clinics

:lol:

The Bizzaro world of the Republican Party right now
At least with the Social Justice movement you know who the crazy Liberals are
They separate themselves
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
You have already been told that your “some of the dossier is verified” schtick is misleading. Fix yourself.

I didn't see that assertion but it doesn't matter. The statement "some of the dossier is verified" is true and it is not misleading. It's just a fact.
Could I ever be a star?

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

I didn't see that assertion but it doesn't matter. The statement "some of the dossier is verified" is true and it is not misleading. It's just a fact.
It is misleading because those things that have been verified are 1) easily detectable (they didn’t need a spook to find them), 2) not indicative of a shady relationship with Russians, and 3) not even pertinent to the collusion conspiracy theory.

You might as well say the dossier is partially verified because all the names were spelled correctly
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

This is as good a thread as any to point out yet another area in which the Republicans are hurling total bullshit. It's the idea that a House impeachment inquiry requires a vote and that lack of a vote justifies refusing to honor requests for information. See the Lawfare article at https://www.lawfareblog.com/must-house- ... nt-inquiry.
Is it constitutionally acceptable for the House speaker to initiate an impeachment “by means of nothing more than a press conference”? In short, yes.

The constitutional text on this issue is spare. The Constitution simply says that the House has the sole power of impeachment. Ultimately, if the House wants to impeach someone, it needs to muster a simple majority in support of articles of impeachment that can be presented to the Senate. How the House gets there is entirely up to the chamber itself to determine. There is no constitutional requirement that the House take two successful votes on impeachment, one to authorize some kind of inquiry and one to ratify whatever emerges from that inquiry. An impeachment inquiry is not “invalid” because there has been no vote to formally launch it, and any eventual impeachment would not be “invalid” because the process that led to it did not feature a floor vote authorizing a specific inquiry.
For what it's worth: Lawfare is rated "Leased Biased" with a "Factual Reporting" rating of "Very High" by the site I like to use (https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/lawfare-blog/).
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
It is misleading because those things that have been verified are 1) easily detectable (they didn’t need a spook to find them), 2) not indicative of a shady relationship with Russians, and 3) not even pertinent to the collusion conspiracy theory.

You might as well say the dossier is partially verified because all the names were spelled correctly
I disagree with the assertion that it's misleading to say some things were verified. Like for instance the dossier saying the Russian regime had been behind the recent (at the time) leak of embarrassing e-mail messages, emanating from the Democratic National Committee (DNC) to the WikiLeaks platform. Yes, that is common knowledge now. But I don't think it was when the dossier was assembled. Was it easy to detect? I don't know. The Dossier also said Trump had interest in developing real estate deals in Russia. We now know that is true. Was that easy to detect? I don't know. But Trump was denying he had any interest in it at the time. The Dossier said Page had interactions with Russians. He did. Was it easy to detect? I don't know. But so on and so forth.

It is not misleading to say that things in the dossier have been corroborated. My impression is that more has been corroborated than has been disproven. But I don't know if I'd go through the effort of trying to quantify that just to win an argument on an internet message board. I'll do that with some things. But it normally has to be a little easier than it would be to go through that dossier and categorize all the statements made as proven, disproven, or neither.
Could I ever be a star?

css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

Come on JSO, even Congress and MSM have moved on from Russia, they are well into the next hoax.

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

mainejeff2 wrote::coffee:
Progress on the left. You have to admit he is your President to have him impeached.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Gil Dobie wrote:
mainejeff2 wrote::coffee:
Progress on the left. You have to admit he is your President to have him impeached.
:lol:
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

Another wasted thread, Pelosi said no vote. Translation: nothing there and/or she can’t get the votes.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

The argument for why no one is above the law or the constitution from a Republican. And I hadn’t heard the phrase “Moron Contra” yet. :lol:

The 2016 election is not under threat of being negated. Donald Trump assumed the office of the presidency. I watched it with my own eyes. It was some pretty weird shit. Once he got there, impeachment became the constitutional remedy for removing him in the case of high crimes and misdemeanors while in office. Had he not had any misdemeanors after getting elected, impeachment would not be a serious issue. If you think impeachment is the same thing as a “Deep State coup” then what you’re really saying is that you don’t think the Constitution is an adequate guide to how our government should be run. In which case, Donald Trump is the least of our problems.

And as to the 2016 election that despite winning, Trump and his enablers are obsessed with relitigating, that part of the Ukraine scandal while nutso (technical term) isn’t the operative issue. If Trump had only sent Zelensky on an insane wild goose chase to uncover “the truth” about the 2016 election by finding the real DNC server that Sean Hannity told him was hidden somewhere in Zaporozhye, then I could understand coming to the conclusion that the president is merely a dangerous fool in need of a head exam, but not impeachment.

But that isn’t the question at hand. According to testimony by Fiona Hill this week, the ambassador to the E.U., Godon Sondland, told Ukranians at Trump’s request that they would only get a meeting with the president if they opened an investigation into Hunter Biden
https://thebulwark.com/one-big-reason-b ... ssion=true
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

As I watch this situation unfold I think the best thing the Democrats could do is to go through with the inquiry then issue a statement such as this:

"We think the evidence yielded by the inquiry is more than sufficient to justify removing Donald Trump from office. However, we recognize that there is a lack of integrity among Republican members of the Legislative Branch right now and Republicans hold the majority in the Senate. There is no chance that they will do the right thing. So we will not waste the country's time by referring this matter to the Senate. The American People have seen the evidence. We will trust the American People to decide during the next Presidential election."

I don't think they'll do that. But I think that sort of thing would be the smart thing to do.
Could I ever be a star?

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

JohnStOnge wrote:As I watch this situation unfold I think the best thing the Democrats could do is to go through with the inquiry then issue a statement such as this:

"We think the evidence yielded by the inquiry is more than sufficient to justify removing Donald Trump from office. However, we recognize that there is a lack of integrity among Republican members of the Legislative Branch right now and Republicans hold the majority in the Senate. There is no chance that they will do the right thing. So we will not waste the country's time by referring this matter to the Senate. The American People have seen the evidence. We will trust the American People to decide during the next Presidential election."

I don't think they'll do that. But I think that sort of thing would be the smart thing to do.
Sure, go through the entire impeachment process, delay legislation on other stuff during that time, insist that it is so serious that Trump should be removed from office, but then say "nah, we won't do anything". Don't get the satisfaction of counting Trump among the very few Presidents who have been impeached and don't get the GOP Senators on record deciding not to remove him from office. So piss off your base who have wanted him impeached for years and still raise the ire of Trump's own supporters. Yeah, winning strategy right there. :lol:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:As I watch this situation unfold I think the best thing the Democrats could do is to go through with the inquiry then issue a statement such as this:

Sure, go through the entire impeachment process, delay legislation on other stuff during that time, insist that it is so serious that Trump should be removed from office, but then say "nah, we won't do anything". Don't get the satisfaction of counting Trump among the very few Presidents who have been impeached and don't get the GOP Senators on record deciding not to remove him from office. So piss off your base who have wanted him impeached for years and still raise the ire of Trump's own supporters. Yeah, winning strategy right there. :lol:
The re-worked trade deal that replaces NAFTA has bipartisan support and is a slam dunk to pass both the House and the Senate

But Pelosi won't bring it to a vote because of course they have other priorities.

The House needs to fish or cut bait on impeachment while they still have time left to accomplish other things... especially since we all know impeachment will amount to nothing more than an official rebuke from the House only
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

CID1990 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
The re-worked trade deal that replaces NAFTA has bipartisan support and is a slam dunk to pass both the House and the Senate

But Pelosi won't bring it to a vote because of course they have other priorities.

The House needs to fish or cut bait on impeachment while they still have time left to accomplish other things... especially since we all know impeachment will amount to nothing more than an official rebuke from the House only
Ignoring the re-worked trade deal is something the conks need to run on this election cycle.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

Is it a populist trade deal?

Are you arguing this from a pragmatic standpoint or because you don’t think Trump has done anything impeachable?
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Is it a populist trade deal?

Are you arguing this from a pragmatic standpoint or because you don’t think Trump has done anything impeachable?
I’m not talking about Trump here at all

I’m saying that the new trade agreement has wide bipartisan support - that’s fact.

It also addresses several issues with the old NAFTA which were giving unfair advantages to Mexico especially - fact

Given that it is popular on both sides of the aisle it should be easy to fast track

I realize you’re OK with everything taking a back seat to impeachment but there is zero reason not to be critical of the House not bringing this to the floor stat.

And like I said... given that impeachment is only going to amount to rebuke from the House, Pelosi should be finding ways to show productivity outside of just impeachment. The trade deal is very low hanging fruit in that respect.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

1) That will never happen
2) That would be a slap in the face to everyone. Wasting time and money and you're going to do NOTHING. Plus, their base would be livid. And it'd only validate the Republican argument against.

That would be the dumbest thing they could do.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

JohnStOnge wrote:This is as good a thread as any to point out yet another area in which the Republicans are hurling total bullshit. It's the idea that a House impeachment inquiry requires a vote and that lack of a vote justifies refusing to honor requests for information. See the Lawfare article at https://www.lawfareblog.com/must-house- ... nt-inquiry.
Is it constitutionally acceptable for the House speaker to initiate an impeachment “by means of nothing more than a press conference”? In short, yes.

The constitutional text on this issue is spare. The Constitution simply says that the House has the sole power of impeachment. Ultimately, if the House wants to impeach someone, it needs to muster a simple majority in support of articles of impeachment that can be presented to the Senate. How the House gets there is entirely up to the chamber itself to determine. There is no constitutional requirement that the House take two successful votes on impeachment, one to authorize some kind of inquiry and one to ratify whatever emerges from that inquiry. An impeachment inquiry is not “invalid” because there has been no vote to formally launch it, and any eventual impeachment would not be “invalid” because the process that led to it did not feature a floor vote authorizing a specific inquiry.
For what it's worth: Lawfare is rated "Leased Biased" with a "Factual Reporting" rating of "Very High" by the site I like to use (https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/lawfare-blog/).
You know my favorite site, The Gateway Pundit? What that site is to the far right, is what Lawfare blog is to the Left.

Lawfare is intertwined with the Democrats.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote:

1) That will never happen
2) That would be a slap in the face to everyone. Wasting time and money and you're going to do NOTHING. Plus, their base would be livid. And it'd only validate the Republican argument against.

That would be the dumbest thing they could do.
Based on the what they have been doing since Trump was elected I wouldn't bet against them screwing up a wet dream.

Like Cid said, there is a few things they could be doing to show that they are willing to still do their jobs and put the country first, while maintaining the push to impeach Trump. But so far they have been acting like teenage boys seeing their first pair of :flash:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Now I think the best scenario for the Democrats would be to have the Republicans vote not to have witnesses. That way they can spend the next 9 months talking about how corrupt the Republicans are. It'd be especially effective if Bolton doesn't testify then his book comes out and has stuff about Trump withholding aid for the purpose of getting the Ukrainians to investigate Biden and/or announce an investigation of Biden.

It would create an excellent opportunity to cast the Republicans as covering up; trying to prevent information that would shed light on the question from coming out.
Could I ever be a star?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote:Now I think the best scenario for the Democrats would be to have the Republicans vote not to have witnesses. That way they can spend the next 9 months talking about how corrupt the Republicans are. It'd be especially effective if Bolton doesn't testify then his book comes out and has stuff about Trump withholding aid for the purpose of getting the Ukrainians to investigate Biden and/or announce an investigation of Biden.

It would create an excellent opportunity to cast the Republicans as covering up; trying to prevent information that would shed light on the question from coming out.
The longer this goes without witness testimony and factual evidence the more it hurts the Republicans.