What Gives in Water Polo?

All other college sports!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

What Gives in Water Polo?

Post by SuperHornet »

UOP is #3 in the country despite having wins against a couple of D-IIIs, an NAIA, and an exhibition against a juco? How does that work?

And one of those D-IIIs is ranked in the national poll? According to Wikipedia (admittedly not the best source in the world), the poll takes into account ALL divisions. Could you imagine how that would look for football?!?

:o

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: What Gives in Water Polo?

Post by dbackjon »

There is only one division in Men's Water Polo - not enough teams compete to divide into divisions.

UOP is 11-2, with both losses to #1 Stanford
They have beaten:

#4 USC (twice)
#5 UC-Santa Barbra
#8 Cal
#11 Loyola Marymount
#13 UC-Davis
#19 San Jose State (twice)
:thumb:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Toughest sport I ever tried to play. Unfuckingreal the stamina that sport took.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

I played 1 year on a club team, what Az said is true.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

css75 wrote:I played 1 year on a club team, what Az said is true.

I was in the absolute best shape of my life when I played it. Couldn't go more than about 45 seconds in the water without grabbing a rail. Just unreal the amount of energy it took just to stay afloat!!
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Delaware

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

AZGrizFan wrote:

I was in the absolute best shape of my life when I played it. Couldn't go more than about 45 seconds in the water without grabbing a rail. Just unreal the amount of energy it took just to stay afloat!!
I don't know about you, but I float a lot better than I used to.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

AZGrizFan wrote:Toughest sport I ever tried to play. Unfuckingreal the stamina that sport took.
Please. It's way more taxing on the horses. :dead:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote:

I once played against a bunch of lifeguards/swim team members while I was in college and held my own just fine and I was stone drunk. I was never fast enough to swim competitively but I could swim for hours without a problem.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

89Hen wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:Toughest sport I ever tried to play. Unfuckingreal the stamina that sport took.
Please. It's way more taxing on the horses. :dead:

I knew someone would go this route.

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

css75 wrote:
89Hen wrote: Please. It's way more taxing on the horses. :dead:

I knew someone would go this route.
I'm not afraid of saying what must be said. :kisswink:

It's like when somebody crosses a street on foot in a movie. There must be the obligatory car horn honk as if the audience can't possibly process that the character is crossing a street without it.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
I once played against a bunch of lifeguards/swim team members while I was in college and held my own just fine and I was stone drunk. I was never fast enough to swim competitively but I could swim for hours without a problem.
How deep was the pool?

And for me it wasn't the swimming part (ok, yes it was). It was the near drowning part time after time after time... :shock: :shock:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

AZGrizFan wrote:
UNI88 wrote:
How deep was the pool?

And for me it wasn't the swimming part (ok, yes it was). It was the near drowning part time after time after time... :shock: :shock:
What about the Bud Light part? :?
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ivytalk wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
How deep was the pool?

What about the Bud Light part? :?
I was in OCS. There was no Bud Light. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
UNI88 wrote:
How deep was the pool?

It was probably about 6+ feet deep. You could bounce off the bottom in places but couldn't stand and catch your breath.

I worked maintenance at a swim club outside Philly and I had a rule that I had to sacrifice a lifeguard (throw one in the pool) every week in order to appease the Pool Gods. The swim club had a couple of big parties every summer and this was after one of them where I served the beer. The lifeguards thought it was a great opportunity to get back at me for throwing them in all summer. I think I shocked them with how well I could swim and how physical I could be. It was like underwater rugby for me and I wished we had had a water polo team in high school.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
How deep was the pool?

It was probably about 6+ feet deep. You could bounce off the bottom in places but couldn't stand and catch your breath.

I worked maintenance at a swim club outside Philly and I had a rule that I had to sacrifice a lifeguard (throw one in the pool) every week in order to appease the Pool Gods. The swim club had a couple of big parties every summer and this was after one of them where I served the beer. The lifeguards thought it was a great opportunity to get back at me for throwing them in all summer. I think I shocked them with how well I could swim and how physical I could be. It was like underwater rugby for me and I wished we had had a water polo team in high school.
Yah. HUGE difference. The pool I played in was 12 feet deep. There was no touching the bottom. Ever. Might as well have been trying to stay afloat in the fucking ocean. Brutal.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

I can’t imagine the conditioning one would have to do. Looks like it’s completely exhausting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17