2019 Fightin' Phils Back to Relevancy Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Re: 2019 Fightin' Phils Back to Relevancy Thread

Post by Chizzang »

JoltinJoe wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
The number of free agent open market pitchers this off season is staggering

:shock:

anybody willing to spend giant piles of money could build a dynasty
Hint: if I noticed the Yankees have probably noticed too
With whom do you think this young kid is going to sign?

:lol:

The press is already announcing that Cole is going to be a Yankee
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

Chizzang wrote:
JoltinJoe wrote:
With whom do you think this young kid is going to sign?

It certainly won't hurt that the Yankees will be backing up a Brink's Trunk to his doorstep.

So he'll sign a seven-year, $250 million deal, and then remind everyone it was always his dream since he was a little kid to be a Yankee. Today, Tomorrow. Forever.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

JoltinJoe wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

It certainly won't hurt that the Yankees will be backing up a Brink's Trunk to his doorstep.

So he'll sign a seven-year, $250 million deal, and then remind everyone it was always his dream since he was a little kid to be a Yankee. Today, Tomorrow. Forever.
Starting to feel like forever for the Yankees winning a pennant, let alone a WS. No guarantee even if they sign him that they reverse this decade long dry spell.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

GannonFan wrote:
JoltinJoe wrote:

Starting to feel like forever for the Yankees winning a pennant, let alone a WS. No guarantee even if they sign him that they reverse this decade long dry spell.
I know. A whole decade is a long time for the Yankees. It's not like the Phils. They haven't won the WS since 2008. But since the Phils win one, at best, once every generation, 2008 is still present tense for them.

The present Yankees are like the Yankees of '94-'95. They are just one piece away from another decade of outright dominance. This time they'll add Cole instead of Jimmy Key.

Cole, Severino (healthy), German (18-game winner), Tanaka (now a No. 4 guy), and Montgomery (back from season-long injury). That's a rotation with three guys who could be said to be a No. 1 starter; and Tanaka, a No. 2, being the No. 4. (I mean, that Houston series could have turned out a lot differently if German, the idiot, made the two starts everyone was expecting from him).
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JoltinJoe wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
I know. A whole decade is a long time for the Yankees. It's not like the Phils. They haven't won the WS since 2008. But since the Phils win one, at best, once every generation, 2008 is still present tense for them.

The present Yankees are like the Yankees of '94-'95. They are just one piece away from another decade of outright dominance. This time they'll add Cole instead of Jimmy Key.

Cole, Severino (healthy), German (18-game winner), Tanaka (now a No. 4 guy), and Montgomery (back from season-long injury). That's a rotation with three guys who could be said to be a No. 1 starter; and Tanaka, a No. 2, being the No. 4. (I mean, that Houston series could have turned out a lot differently if German, the idiot, made the two starts everyone was expecting from him).
So you think the Yankees will outbid the Angels for Cole?

Speaking of NY baseball, the butthurt from the Mutts camp about the Girardi signing is very enjoyable! :lol:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

JoltinJoe wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

I love it that the Yanks have fallen so far they are now in the same conversation as the Phillies. Mission accomplished. :rofl:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

JoltinJoe wrote:just one piece away

could be

could have

if
:ugeek:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia"

but only slightly less well-known is this:
Never get into a baseball argument with a Yankees fan when next season is on the line
Statistically speaking there's about a 20% chance the Yankees will win the World Series (any given year)

Frankly it's astounding
and we should celebrate the fact that they are NOT PRESENTLY winning another one
and let sleeping dogs slumber

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Chizzang wrote:The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia"

Never get into a baseball argument with a Yankees fan when next season is on the line
Statistically speaking there's about a 20% chance the Yankees will win the World Series (any given year)

Frankly it's astounding
and we should celebrate the fact that they are NOT PRESENTLY winning another one

That’s good advice

Looking forward to the reaction Trump gets at Sunday night’s game....if there is one (it would be game 5)
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Chizzang wrote:The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia"

Frankly it's astounding

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: That's loser talk. Fuck the Yankees and their arrogant fans. They are the one fanbase that make SEC fans seem reasonable.

74% of their WS wins came before 1963. We just need to stave off a couple of years and they will return to their 1980's selves. :twisted:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

89Hen wrote:

Frankly it's astounding

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: That's loser talk. Fuck the Yankees and their arrogant fans. They are the one fanbase that make SEC fans seem reasonable.

74% of their WS wins came before 1963. We just need to stave off a couple of years and they will return to their 1980's selves. :twisted:
89hen right now with his team killin' it

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

The luxury tax and the fact that there are several more teams now with mega-TV deals (see Phillies $5B Comcast deal) means the Yanks can't outspend the rest of the league quite as lavishly as they did under King George.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Chizzang wrote:89hen right now with his team killin' it

:lol: :thumb: :notworthy:
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

89Hen wrote:

Frankly it's astounding

The worst fan bases in baseball are the Phillies fans Image

and National fans. Image
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

89Hen wrote:
Chizzang wrote:89hen right now with his team killin' it

:lol: :thumb: :notworthy:
If you win as the Wild Card, you can't "win it all."

Right now, the Nationals are fighting for the honor of being one of the seven all-time worst winners of the World Series. :coffee:
Last edited by JoltinJoe on Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

JoltinJoe wrote:
89Hen wrote: :lol: :thumb: :notworthy:

Right now, the Nationals are fighting for the honor of being one of the seven worst all-time worst winners of the World Series. :coffee:
Jesus, JJ, you are one thin-skinned MoFo.

In terms of retarded fans, I have two words for you. Jeffrey Maier.
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

Ivytalk wrote:
JoltinJoe wrote:

Right now, the Nationals are fighting for the honor of being one of the seven worst all-time worst winners of the World Series. :coffee:
Jesus, JJ, you are one thin-skinned MoFo.

And I have two words for you: Home Run!
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

JoltinJoe wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Jesus, JJ, you are one thin-skinned MoFo.

He’s probably turning tricks in the Bowery now. :coffee:
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

Ivytalk wrote:
JoltinJoe wrote:
He’s probably turning tricks in the Bowery now. :coffee:
Get over Jeffrey Maier. The Os lost three straight in their home ball park. They lost that series because they were not the better team.

The same thing happened to the Yankees in 2017, when an Astros' fans reached over the fence, turning a fly ball into a homer for Correa, leading to a 2-1 Astros win in Game 2 of the ALCS. Since the series went 7, it could be reasonably asserted that this play was actually significant to the outcome of the series -- unlike the Maier play.

And you know what?

Because we're winners, we didn't whine about it, endlessly. The call went against us. That's life. No one even remembers it happened, or who the kid is, because Yankee fans just accepted that this call went against us and Houston went on to win the series. We had other chances to win the series and didn't come through. We didn't blame a little kid for "costing" us the series. Yankee fans would be embarrassed to even say something like that.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Fuck the Yankees, New York, New Yorkers, New Jersey and Connecticut residents in the New York City TV market, and everyone who roots for a New York team anywhere.

The end.

PS. Whenever one of the thousands of NY transplants that live here in Delaware waxes nostalgic about how great <insert anything> was in New York, I always ask them, "then why the hell did you move here?" Then they shut the fuck up.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

JoltinJoe wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: He’s probably turning tricks in the Bowery now. :coffee:
Get over Jeffrey Maier. The Os lost three straight in their home ball park. They lost that series because they were not the better team.

The same thing happened to the Yankees in 2017, when an Astros' fans reached over the fence, turning a fly ball into a homer for Correa, leading to a 2-1 Astros win in Game 2 of the ALCS. Since the series went 7, it could be reasonably asserted that this play was actually significant to the outcome of the series -- unlike the Maier play.

And you know what?

Because we're winners, we didn't whine about it, endlessly. The call went against us. That's life. No one even remembers it happened, or who the kid is, because Yankee fans just accepted that this call went against us and Houston went on to win the series. We had other chances to win the series and didn't come through. We didn't blame a little kid for "costing" us the series. Yankee fans would be embarrassed to even say something like that.
Triggered. You can hold the toughest judge at bay, but a remark about a punk 12-year-old set you off.

I expected more of you, Joe.

Two more words for you. Hector Lopez.

Jake Gibbs.

Horace Clarke.
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

Ivytalk wrote:
JoltinJoe wrote:

And you know what?

Triggered. You can hold the toughest judge at bay, but a remark about a punk 12-year-old set you off.

Jake Gibbs.

Horace Clarke.
:lol: Triggered. You're the guy talking about an incident a generation ago involving a 12-year-old kid.

Hardly triggered. Just amused that grown men remember the name of some 12-year-old kid and blame him for the outcome of a series nearly a quarter of a century ago in which the losing team lost three straight times at home -- each defeat getting progressively worse.

My favorite "Jeffrey Maier" moment is, when Mike Mussina joined the Yankees, a reporter asked him about the "Jeffrey Maier play" in a taped intereview. Mussina looked perplexed. "What play?" I honestly think he had completely forgotten the kid's name, and I recommend that you do the same. I mean, you got an image to protect.

What was that kid's name in Houston again? :lol: Who cares? The Yankees lost that series, and it had nothing to do with a kid who, being a kid, was a little too enthusiastic when a ball came his way.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

JoltinJoe wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Triggered. You can hold the toughest judge at bay, but a remark about a punk 12-year-old set you off.

Jake Gibbs.

Horace Clarke.
:lol: Triggered. You're the guy talking about an incident a generation ago involving a 12-year-old kid.

Hardly triggered. Just amused that grown men remember the name of some 12-year-old kid and blame him for the outcome of a series nearly a quarter of a century ago in which the losing team lost three straight times at home -- each defeat getting progressively worse.

My favorite "Jeffrey Maier" moment is, when Mike Mussina joined the Yankees, a reporter asked him about the "Jeffrey Maier play" in a taped intereview. Mussina looked perplexed. "What play?" I honestly think he had completely forgotten the kid's name, and I recommend that you do the same. I mean, you got an image to protect.

What was that kid's name in Houston again? :lol: Who cares? The Yankees lost that series, and it had nothing to do with a kid who, being a kid, was a little too enthusiastic when a ball came his way.
Mike Kekich.

Fritz Peterson.

Yup, “winners”! :lol:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

JoltinJoe wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

Pretty sure you have to wedge Paxton in there, no?
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote: 74% of their WS wins came before 1963. We just need to stave off a couple of years and they will return to their 1980's selves. :twisted:
:lol: :lol: Nice stat.

Here's another one:
The Yankees have won more WS than any other franchise since 1963.