Lola Versus Elitism and the Moneygoround.

Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Lola Versus Elitism and the Moneygoround.

Post by kalm »

Listening to Kyle Kulinsky today on the Rogan Podcast. He raised a good point.

What’s a bigger threat to our politics, tribalism or elitism?

Joe Stein has a new book out in defense of elitism. Trump probably won due to anti-elitism in the rust belt. Conks with gay children, donks who love hunting...

What say the CS intelligentsia?

(Ivy grads are not allowed in this thread :) )
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: Lola Versus Elitism and the Moneygoround.

Post by Winterborn »

Simple, both. :coffee:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Fuck you, then! :tothehand:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

kalm wrote:Listening to Kyle Kulinsky today on the Rogan Podcast. He raised a good point.

What’s a bigger threat to our politics, tribalism or elitism?

Joe Stein has a new book out in defense of elitism. Trump probably won due to anti-elitism in the rust belt. Conks with gay children, donks who love hunting...

What say the CS intelligentsia?

(Ivy grads are not allowed in this thread :) )
I think "elitism" has become a meaningless word, much like "populism".

Our last presidential election was a woman whose fame and fortune comes from her husband versus a guy that inherited a fortune and now has a fortune. Where's the anti-elitism among voters?
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

Both

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote:Fuck you, then! :tothehand:
Based on this reply I’ll now allow it. :mrgreen:

But if you answer both, I swear I’ll spaz out!
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:Fuck you, then! :tothehand:

Spaz not! :mrgreen:

Tribalism is far worse. It divides with no hope of reunification. Elitism offers hope by way of example and achievement. :notworthy:

Don’t know Joe Stein. Jill’s brother?
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

I would like to hear the definition of each.
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

CAA Flagship wrote:I would like to hear the definition of each.
Good definitions will help me decide on one or the other.

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CAA Flagship wrote:I would like to hear the definition of each.
Look them up, you lazy fuck!

Then let me know.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ivytalk wrote:
kalm wrote:

Spaz not! :mrgreen:

Tribalism is far worse. It divides with no hope of reunification. Elitism offers hope by way of example and achievement. :notworthy:

sorry, but Tribalism is just another word for class warfare, or war on “elitism”....it’s the same thing just dressed up a different way. And Tribalism can occur in a number of different forms...certainly more than elitism....

And Tribalism is the foundation of the current donk party.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Spaz not! :mrgreen:

sorry, but Tribalism is just another word for class warfare, or war on “elitism”....it’s the same thing just dressed up a different way. And Tribalism can occur in a number of different forms...certainly more than elitism....

Huh WHAT?

Sweet Jesus I should have sad Idaho grads are not allowed in this thread.

:lol:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

Huh WHAT?

Too nuanced for you?
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

We've ALWAYS been tribal - that's the human condition since the dawn of man

and our country was founded under that paradigm

Elitism is also age-old but it is recent events that have made it an issue. And elitism comes in many flavors... the cognitive elite, the economic elite, the political elite... there's a windmill in there for all of us. I do believe that elitism divides us much more than tribalism
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

What kind of elitism are we talking about? The faux elites like Trump, Hillary & Bernie or the real elites like me?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

UNI88 wrote:What kind of elitism are we talking about? The faux elites like Trump, Hillary & Bernie or the real elites like me?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
There are more than a few cognitive elites right here in this forum...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:
kalm wrote:
Huh WHAT?

Too nuanced for you?
If by nuanced you mean dumb....yes.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:We've ALWAYS been tribal - that's the human condition since the dawn of man

Elitism is also age-old but it is recent events that have made it an issue. And elitism comes in many flavors... the cognitive elite, the economic elite, the political elite... there's a windmill in there for all of us. I do believe that elitism divides us much more than tribalism
Elitism does take a number of forms, but if you did a Venn diagram of them, I think you’d find a significant overlap. The term “elite” has acquired a bit of a stench in recent years, but its usual meaning just connotes being “the choice part,” a “socially superior group,” or a “powerful minority group” (Webster’s). Those are objective factors signifying strength or quality. However, our politics of envy have turned them into negatives. I think the Founders viewed tribalism — or “factions” or “parties” in the parlance of 1787 — as the greater threat to the republican government they envisioned. See Federalist 9 and 10. I share that view, antiquated as it may seem.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote:
CID1990 wrote:We've ALWAYS been tribal - that's the human condition since the dawn of man

Elitism does take a number of forms, but if you did a Venn diagram of them, I think you’d find a significant overlap. The term “elite” has acquired a bit of a stench in recent years, but its usual meaning just connotes being “the choice part,” a “socially superior group,” or a “powerful minority group” (Webster’s). Those are objective factors signifying strength or quality. However, our politics of envy have turned them into negatives. I think the Founders viewed tribalism — or “factions” or “parties” in the parlance of 1787 — as the greater threat to the republican government they envisioned. See Federalist 9 and 10. I share that view, antiquated as it may seem.
Tribal can also be positive or negative. It’s the suffix that tends to make it pejorative.
Last edited by kalm on Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:

True -

But there is also a “liberal” elite (which overlaps almost exactly with the political elite) that has more than earned the acrimony

I’m nit jealous... I have never been a club joiner

But when I deal with my political-cognoscenti colleagues I make sure to use the most down-home redneck accent that I can muster

I guess it’s cunts I have a problem with... and we are ALL cunts. I even have a problem with myself. That’s why when I retire I’m buying a SMALL boat and sailing around the world .. alone

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Elitism does take a number of forms, but if you did a Venn diagram of them, I think you’d find a significant overlap. The term “elite” has acquired a bit of a stench in recent years, but its usual meaning just connotes being “the choice part,” a “socially superior group,” or a “powerful minority group” (Webster’s). Those are objective factors signifying strength or quality. However, our politics of envy have turned them into negatives. I think the Founders viewed tribalism — or “factions” or “parties” in the parlance of 1787 — as the greater threat to the republican government they envisioned. See Federalist 9 and 10. I share that view, antiquated as it may seem.
True -

But there is also a “liberal” elite (which overlaps almost exactly with the political elite) that has more than earned the acrimony

But when I deal with my political-cognoscenti colleagues I make sure to use the most down-home redneck accent that I can muster

I guess it’s cunts I have a problem with... and we are ALL cunts. I even have a problem with myself. That’s why when I retire I’m buying a SMALL boat and sailing around the world .. alone

You won’t take that annoying Swedish Greta chick with you? :lol:

You just reminded me that it’s time to change my siggy. :thumb:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Too nuanced for you?
OK. Let me explain it for the mentally challenged:

Definition: Tribalism is the state of being organized by, or advocating for, tribes or tribal lifestyles. Human evolution has primarily occurred in small groups, as opposed to mass societies, and humans naturally maintain a social network. In popular culture, tribalism may also refer to a way of thinking or behaving in which people are loyal to their social group above all else, or, derogatorily, a type of discrimination or animosity based upon group differences.

GROUP DIFFERENCES. IDENTITY POLITICS. TRIBAL WARFARE. It's what Donks DO. It's their specialty. Whether it's race, sex, income, gender, religion, political affiliation, it makes no difference what GROUP or TRIBE you're in, Donks entire line of thinking is driving wedges between those groups. Us vs them. Left vs Right. Poor vs Rich. Gays vs Straight. Proletariat vs Elite (hmmmm)….They literally THRIVE on tribal warfare.

Definition: Elitism is the belief or attitude that individuals who form an elite—a select group of people with an intrinsic quality, high intellect, wealth, special skills, or experience—are more likely to be constructive to society as a whole, and therefore deserve influence or authority greater than that of others. The term elitism may be used to describe a situation in which power is concentrated in the hands of a limited number of people. Oppositions of elitism include anti-elitism, egalitarianism, populism, and political theory of pluralism.

Wealth. Intellect. Experience. More areas where Donks tend to want to divide into like groups and get one side to attack the other. The irony is, Donks believe themselves to be the intellectual ELITE. I mean, only stupid redneck deplorables would vote for Donald Trump, right?

Is any of this sinking in?
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Ivytalk wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
True -

You won’t take that annoying Swedish Greta chick with you? :lol:

You just reminded me that it’s time to change my siggy. :thumb:
When she’s 20?

Yeah I’d tap that.

I have a LOW bar

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:
kalm wrote:
OK. Let me explain it for the mentally challenged:

Definition: Tribalism is the state of being organized by, or advocating for, tribes or tribal lifestyles. Human evolution has primarily occurred in small groups, as opposed to mass societies, and humans naturally maintain a social network. In popular culture, tribalism may also refer to a way of thinking or behaving in which people are loyal to their social group above all else, or, derogatorily, a type of discrimination or animosity based upon group differences.

GROUP DIFFERENCES. IDENTITY POLITICS. TRIBAL WARFARE. It's what Donks DO. It's their specialty. Whether it's race, sex, income, gender, religion, political affiliation, it makes no difference what GROUP or TRIBE you're in, Donks entire line of thinking is driving wedges between those groups. Us vs them. Left vs Right. Poor vs Rich. Gays vs Straight. Proletariat vs Elite (hmmmm)….They literally THRIVE on tribal warfare.

Definition: Elitism is the belief or attitude that individuals who form an elite—a select group of people with an intrinsic quality, high intellect, wealth, special skills, or experience—are more likely to be constructive to society as a whole, and therefore deserve influence or authority greater than that of others. The term elitism may be used to describe a situation in which power is concentrated in the hands of a limited number of people. Oppositions of elitism include anti-elitism, egalitarianism, populism, and political theory of pluralism.

Wealth. Intellect. Experience. More areas where Donks tend to want to divide into like groups and get one side to attack the other. The irony is, Donks believe themselves to be the intellectual ELITE. I mean, only stupid redneck deplorables would vote for Donald Trump, right?

Is any of this sinking in?
You’re so close to getting the point of this exercise and for that, I’m proud of you! :clap:

Here’s a short article that supports what you’re saying...

https://babylonbee.com/news/report-lots ... ny-day-now
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

Tribalism is the worst of the 2 as they are intentionally separating themselves.