2019 NASCAR/INDYCAR/F1

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: 2019 NASCAR/INDYCAR/F1

Post by UNI88 »

It's Ernie Derr's birthday. I grew up watching him race.

Ernest V. Derr was born on Saturday, October 29, 1921 near Donnellson, Iowa, the son of Virgil Emery and Alice Marie Frueh Derr.

From the time Ernie was old enough to work he helped his father in the farm fields. As he got older, he worked as a farm hand for neighbors for one dollar a day and his dinner. Then as a young man he got a job working in the Marshall Auto Store in Keokuk, IA. In 1941 he married Urbina Gardner. They had one daughter, Karen. They were later divorced. In 1942 he joined the Army and served in the European Theater. He was in the 6th Armored Division and drove a weasel and went ahead of his Company and laid wire for communications.
He earned the rank of Corporal and received the Bronze star and other commendations. He was proud to have served his country. He was honorably discharged in 1945 and returned home and went back to work at the Marshall Auto Store. He eventually transferred to the Ft. Madison store and became the manager for a few years. He married Marianna Lewis in 1946,

In 1950 he began his stock car racing career in the I.M.C.A. circuit. In 1952 he quit working at the Marshall Auto Store, moved back to Keokuk permanently, and made racing his life career. He worked many long hard hours to prepare the best race car possible.

Derr's greatest ARCA success came in the early days, between 1955 and 1964, during which he earned all his ARCA victories.

Renowned for his dirt track prowess, Derr, in an Oldsmobile, won his first ARCA race on the mile dirt oval at Lakewood Speedway in Atlanta, Georgia on March 27, 1955. His last ARCA win came in a Dodge nine years later on March 22, 1964 at Big H Speedway in Houston, Texas.

In between, Derr won in some fascinating arenas including back-to-back races at the Ohio State Fairgrounds dirt oval in Columbus in 1955, a 200-lapper on May 22 and a 300-lapper on June 19. Derr also earned a 300-lap victory at Dayton (OH) Speedway on June 5, 1955, the day after he won on the Toledo Raceway Park high-banked, half-mile dirt. He also won a 200-lap race later that year on the Heidelberg (PA) Speedway half-mile dirt on June 26.

Derr then took a six year hiatus from ARCA competition to focus on the IMCA tour before returning to ARCA in 1961, driving a Pontiac. He won a 250-lap race at Birmingham (AL) Speedway on November 5, 1961 before returning to Victory Lane at Lakewood on March 4, 1962. He won two more ARCA races in 1962 at Meyers (TX) Speedway on March 18 and again at Lakewood on October.

Overall, Derr is credited with winning well over 300 feature event races over a 25-year career that reached up into 1977. Unfortunately, complete records of Derr's achievements aren't available because they were destroyed in a fire.

Derr was also the brother-in-law of ARCA winner and USAC stock car national champion Don White, who was also from Keokuk. Ironically, White was an 11-time ARCA winner, as was Derr.

Derr was also the 105th inducted member of the Des Moines Register's Sports Hall of Fame.

Derr earned his first IMCA national title in 1953, the same year as ARCA's inaugural season. Then he claimed four consecutive IMCA titles from 1959 through 1962 before Dick Hutcherson snapped Derr's championship streak in 1963 and 1964. But Derr battled right back, winning the next seven IMCA titles from 1965 through 1971.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Dover International Speedway announced it will reduce seating a third time to 54,000. Seating capacity was 135,000 in 2008.

Dover has also lost its playoff race. The second race moves to August next year, swapping dates with Bristol.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

93henfan wrote:Dover International Speedway announced it will reduce seating a third time to 54,000. Seating capacity was 135,000 in 2008.

Dover has also lost its playoff race. The second race moves to August next year, swapping dates with Bristol.
They didn’t have even 54K at the October 6 race, I can tell you that.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ivytalk wrote:
93henfan wrote:Dover International Speedway announced it will reduce seating a third time to 54,000. Seating capacity was 135,000 in 2008.

They didn’t have even 54K at the October 6 race, I can tell you that.
Yeah, I wouldn't know. We gave up our eight season tickets. My dad wanted to see the 100th race in May, since he'd gone to every one, and then we gave them up. I don't miss it at all. The sport has become a complete gimmick.

I actually checked out some of Martinsville last Sunday, as it's by far my favorite track. Shit you not, the first three times I checked (during the Eagles game), the NASCAR broadcast was showing a commercial. Took four tries to actually see any track action. It is unbelievable how many commercials they show during NASCAR. Completely unwatchable.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: They didn’t have even 54K at the October 6 race, I can tell you that.
Yeah, I wouldn't know. We gave up our eight season tickets. My dad wanted to see the 100th race in May, since he'd gone to every one, and then we gave them up. I don't miss it at all. The sport has become a complete gimmick.

I actually checked out some of Martinsville last Sunday, as it's by far my favorite track. Shit you not, the first three times I checked (during the Eagles game), the NASCAR broadcast was showing a commercial. Took four tries to actually see any track action. It is unbelievable how many commercials they show during NASCAR. Completely unwatchable.
Seems I'm always a couple years ahead of you on these things. Hens football, NASCAR... :kisswink:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

89Hen wrote:
93henfan wrote:

Seems I'm always a couple years ahead of you on these things. Hens football, NASCAR... :kisswink:
Like I give a shit. Congrats I guess? You were never a NASCAR fan anyway. You were one of the 90s/00s bandwagoners that left 15 years ago.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan wrote:
89Hen wrote: Seems I'm always a couple years ahead of you on these things. Hens football, NASCAR... :kisswink:
Like I give a shit. Congrats I guess? You were never a NASCAR fan anyway. You were one of the 90s/00s bandwagoners that left 15 years ago.
:suspicious: I left when Gordon retired. Has it been that long?
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

F1 announced the rules and regs for their big change in 2021. Cars look sweet.

phpBB [video]
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

93henfan wrote:F1 announced the rules and regs for their big change in 2021. Cars look sweet.

phpBB [video]
Hard to tell in that video how big the new tires look.

What is this thing about teams having to run two races with drivers with low experience? How is that going to work?
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CAA Flagship wrote:
93henfan wrote:F1 announced the rules and regs for their big change in 2021. Cars look sweet.

phpBB [video]
Hard to tell in that video how big the new tires look.

What is this thing about teams having to run two races with drivers with low experience? How is that going to work?
The junior drivers will only drive in practice. A lot of teams already do this.

The tires are going to be low profile on 18" wheels. I think they currently run 15" wheels. Hence the large sidewalls.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

You need to get out to COTA, 93.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

AZGrizFan wrote:You need to get out to COTA, 93.
Been to Canada GP and def want to do Austin, as well as Miami, which they just announced a few weeks ago.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

93henfan wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Hard to tell in that video how big the new tires look.

The tires are going to be low profile on 18" wheels. I think they currently run 15" wheels. Hence the large sidewalls.
Oh and Oh.
So where do these junior drivers come from? Are they already part of every team or do teams have to offer up cars to a random list of unaffiliated junior drivers?

So the tire is similar in overall size, but would this change make a tire heavier overall? Would a heavier tire be considered safer on open wheeled cars?
Also, I'd love to hear what the performance differences are with regard to air pressure changes on low profile tires vs. higher profile tires. I'm curious if there is a noticeable difference. Could be a big learning curve to figure out.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CAA Flagship wrote:
93henfan wrote:

Oh and Oh.
So where do these junior drivers come from? Are they already part of every team or do teams have to offer up cars to a random list of unaffiliated junior drivers?

So the tire is similar in overall size, but would this change make a tire heavier overall? Would a heavier tire be considered safer on open wheeled cars?
Also, I'd love to hear what the performance differences are with regard to air pressure changes on low profile tires vs. higher profile tires. I'm curious if there is a noticeable difference. Could be a big learning curve to figure out.
The drivers are already on the team's developmental roster. They usually come from F2 or F3. Typical hotshot F1 driver path is karting as a kid, then F3, then F1 developmental. F2 is almost like AAA baseball. People can get stuck there. The real talent skips right over it.

They don't get their own car in F1 as developmental. They just drive one of the two team cars for a practice session while the regular driver sits.

As for tires, yes the outside diameter and width will be essentially the same; just the sidewalls will be shorter to accommodate the higher diameter wheels. The weight difference will be negligible as the forged wheels and whatever alloy they use will be ridiculously light. Air pressures will have to increase a bit with lower profile tires. Cornering will improve with less sidewall flex but ride will be slightly more harsh.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

93henfan wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Oh and Oh.

The drivers are already on the team's developmental roster. They usually come from F2 or F3. Typical hotshot F1 driver path is karting as a kid, then F3, then F1 developmental. F2 is almost like AAA baseball. People can get stuck there. The real talent skips right over it.

They don't get their own car in F1 as developmental. They just drive one of the two team cars for a practice session while the regular driver sits.

As for tires, yes the outside diameter and width will be essentially the same; just the sidewalls will be shorter to accommodate the higher diameter wheels. The weight difference will be negligible as the forged wheels and whatever alloy they use will be ridiculously light. Air pressures will have to increase a bit with lower profile tires. Cornering will improve with less sidewall flex but ride will be slightly more harsh.
:thumb:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Lewis Hamilton clinches his 6th F1 championship today at the US Grand Prix with a finish of 8th or better or a finish of 9th and the fastest lap.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Championship #6 :clap:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

93henfan wrote:Lewis Hamilton clinches his 6th F1 championship today at the US Grand Prix with a finish of 8th or better or a finish of 9th and the fastest lap.
Only needs one more to tie with Schumacher.

Did they ever say exactly what caused Vettel's suspension failure?
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Winterborn wrote:
93henfan wrote:Lewis Hamilton clinches his 6th F1 championship today at the US Grand Prix with a finish of 8th or better or a finish of 9th and the fastest lap.
Only needs one more to tie with Schumacher.

Did they ever say exactly what caused Vettel's suspension failure?
Undetermined. The team thought it might be a new curb that was installed in turn 8 to discourage cutting, but Vettel said that wasn't the reason and he hadn't run over it. He was complaining of a problem with handling on the very first lap right from the start, so this may have just been a big mistake by Ferrari that finally broke on Lap 8.

COTA had flooding in 2015 that led to sinking of the track over the past four years and severe bumps this year. They were actually grinding the track as recently as Friday and Saturday to level bumps, which is insane. They announced the track is closing for the winter to be resurfaced.

For anyone who missed it live, this is fucking cool! (starts at ~1:34) :lol:

phpBB [video]
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

4 of the top 5 seeds make Championship 4 at Homestead next Sunday. 6th season with the Championship 4 at Homestead.
#1 Kyle Busch, 34 (4 wins) (2015 Champion, 5th Championship 4 appearance).
#2 Denny Hamlin, 38 (6 wins (2 wins playoffs) (2010 runner up, 2nd Championship 4 appearance).
#3 Martin Truex, 39 (7 wins (3 wins playoffs) (2017 Champion, 4th Championship 4 appearance).
#5 Kevin Harvick, 43 (4 wins (1 win playoffs) (2014 Champion, 5th Championship 4 appearance).

-JGR sets record with 3 drivers in Championship 4; 4 cars have won 18 of 35 races. If 1 of the 3 wins at Homestead, it will break the record set by Hendrick in 2007 when Johnson/Gordon/Kyle Busch/Casey Mears won 18 of 36 races.

-Chevy gets shut out of the Championship 4 at Homestead for the 3rd year in a row. #7 seed Chase Elliott (3 wins on season/1 win playoffs) and #9 seed Kyle Larson (1 win playoffs) were the Top Chevys, but couldn’t make it past the Round of 8.

-#4 seed and defending Champ Joey Logano (2 wins on season) finishes 7 points behind Kyle Busch at Phoenix, for the 4th and final spot for Homestead. The other 3 drivers each won a race in the Round of 8 to automatically advance to Homestead.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

JGR manipulates the finish to have Ky Busch hold back on four fresh tires to allow Hamlin to win the race with two on a track where four tires were worth over a second a lap. It's all recorded on radio. NASCAR looks the other way as it pockets millions from Toyota.

Just another day in GIMMICKCAR.

Go Harvick, the only American manufacturer driver left.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Erik Jones accidentally wreck Harvick at some point in the race like Hamlin accidentally wrecked Logano and Kenseth accidentally wrecked Logano.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

93henfan wrote:JGR manipulates the finish to have Ky Busch hold back on four fresh tires to allow Hamlin to win the race with two on a track where four tires were worth over a second a lap. It's all recorded on radio. NASCAR looks the other way as it pockets millions from Toyota.

Just another day in GIMMICKCAR.

Go Harvick, the only American manufacturer driver left.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Erik Jones accidentally wreck Harvick at some point in the race like Hamlin accidentally wrecked Logano and Kenseth accidentally wrecked Logano.
Of course KB wasn’t going to pass Hamlin on the last lap. KB was already in the Championship 4 as long as he stayed ahead of Logano. That would be basically knocking his teammate out of the Champ 4, and putting in a guy that he despises, from another team & manufacturer. Don’t think it would have been any different if you replaced Hamlin & KB with 2 Penske cars, 2 SHR, 2 Hendrick, etc..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

What an absolute yawner. My God NASCAR sucks.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

89Hen wrote:What an absolute yawner. My God NASCAR sucks.
You watched?

The Chase format is and has been a complete disaster from jump. They need to just scrap it.

Revert all rules to 1985 and admit that the France kids are all retarded idiots.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan wrote:
89Hen wrote:What an absolute yawner. My God NASCAR sucks.
You watched?

The Chase format is and has been a complete disaster from jump. They need to just scrap it.

Revert all rules to 1985 and admit that the France kids are all retarded idiots.
Only watched in 15 minute intervals. Was a terrible boring race.