Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: The Official "Making America Great Again" Thread

Post by BDKJMU »

Hey JSO, were you in Monroe last night?
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/d ... -rally.amp
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote:Hey JSO, were you in Monroe last night?
That's rich. People who supposedly live by the bible and have these deep morals...aligning themselves with a known adulterer (several times over).
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

Ibanez wrote:
That's rich. People who supposedly live by the bible and have these deep morals...aligning themselves with a known adulterer (several times over).
Has he been known to do this since he started his presidential run? People can change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ibanez wrote:
:ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
Think back at who they chose against.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

The Official "Making America Great Again" Thread

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Ibanez wrote: That's rich. People who supposedly live by the bible and have these deep morals...aligning themselves with a known adulterer (several times over).
:ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
That’s not a valid excuse. Between two pieces of shit people chose a beefier piece of shit.

There were better options. Like Kasich.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: The Official

Post by JohnStOnge »

css75 wrote:
Ibanez wrote: That's rich. People who supposedly live by the bible and have these deep morals...aligning themselves with a known adulterer (several times over).
Has he been known to do this since he started his presidential run? People can change
He has not been known to commit adultery since his presidential run. However, he had been known to lie repeatedly. He is violating one of the 10 commandments right now by bearing false witness against Biden. Not that most politicians don't bear false witness. But he's doing it. There is absolutely no indication that he is a different person than he's been during most of his previous life when he was living by routinely lying, cheating people, scamming people, etc.

I hear this thing about him changing from my Sister in Law. It's ridiculous. The guy is the same moral atrocity he's always been and it's obvious. Christians who support him are either in denial or they are hypocrites.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ibanez wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
That’s not a valid excuse. Between two pieces of shit people chose a beefier piece of shit.

There were better options. Like Kasich.

That is the big thing that indicts the current Republican base. They had other options. Clinton was a very flawed candidate and a number of Republicans would, if everything else happened as it did with the Russian involvement along with Comey dropping the late bomb on her, have beaten her worse than Trump did. They did not have to pick an atrocity like Trump to win. But they did.

Just to put into perspective since you mentioned Kasich: The last RealClearPolitics average of polls for Kasich vs. Clinton was reported on May 4, 2016. It had Kasich up on Clinton by 7.4 percentage points. That is a lot. On the same day, that average had Clinton up on Trump by 3.2 percentage points. So Kasich was running 10.6 percentage points stronger against Clinton than Trump was.

Yes that's popular vote and the Electoral College picks the President. But get real. Kasich would've been a much stronger candidate against Clinton.

Yet the Republican base chose this totally immoral, dishonest man over a thoughtful, honest man like Kasich. It tells you something about the Republican base. The Republican base is a problem for both the Republican Party and for this country. The people that remain in it need to be defeated. They don't need to be coddled. They don't need to be understood. They need to be defeated.
Last edited by JohnStOnge on Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Could I ever be a star?

css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

JSO, are you aware you have posted the same thing for the last 3 years?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

css75 wrote:JSO, are you aware you have posted the same thing for the last 3 years?

There are variations. But yes I've been posting the same sort of things. And I will do it again: For many years I defended the Republican base. Liberals said Republicans are ignorant, hateful people. And I argued that wasn't the case.

But then Trump happened and the Republican base chose Trump when they had other options who were much better people and who would've beaten Clinton worse than Trump did. So I had to face reality. The liberals had been right. Maybe not in terms of ALL Republicans. But the Republican base does have a critical mass of ignorant, hateful people. And that mass is controlling the Republican Party right now.

Plus a lot of the people who were Republicans who are NOT ignorant, hateful people have now left the Republican Party. So it's even worse.
Could I ever be a star?

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote:
css75 wrote:JSO, are you aware you have posted the same thing for the last 3 years?

There are variations. But yes I've been posting the same sort of things. And I will do it again: For many years I defended the Republican base. Liberals said Republicans are ignorant, hateful people. And I argued that wasn't the case.

But then Trump happened and the Republican base chose Trump when they had other options who were much better people and who would've beaten Clinton worse than Trump did. So I had to face reality. The liberals had been right. Maybe not in terms of ALL Republicans. But the Republican base does have a critical mass of ignorant, hateful people. And that mass is controlling the Republican Party right now.

Plus a lot of the people who were Republicans who are NOT ignorant, hateful people have now left the Republican Party. So it's even worse.
And no one if going to read it. :dunce: When you're all alone do you just talk to an imaginary audience?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: I'm not worried about tax increases; I typically vote for those. In fact, I expect and welcome it for higher government services and a pay increase for certain sectors, particularly education. I contend most teachers should make a minimum of $80-90K.

And no, I do not want all handguns confiscated. But stronger regulations are necessary, although it'll take a national effort. It won't matter what we do here if you can hop to West Virginia and get a firearm anyways. But it's a step forward in that national effort.
CA teachers are highest paid in the nation. The state placed 46th out of 50 in student proficiency. So, good luck with that.
I have plenty of teacher friends who immediately STFU whenever I point this out when they are bitching about their pay. :lol: :dunce:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

SDHornet wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
CA teachers are highest paid in the nation. The state placed 46th out of 50 in student proficiency. So, good luck with that.
I have plenty of teacher friends who immediately STFU whenever I point this out when they are bitching about their pay. :lol: :dunce:
Well one thing is obvious:Trip has completely bought into the “throw more money at the problem and it’ll solve itself” theory....the government must LOVE him.... :lol: :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SDHornet wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
I don't know about $80-90k but teachers should be paid more. More money should be put into schools. And it should be easier to oust bad teachers and retain/promote the good ones. Why wouldn't we want to give the majority of kids in this country the best education?

I understand there are good/bad districts. I understand there are LRRs that actually prevent bad teachers from being fired or actually prevent the good ones from doing their jobs better. Education is a local issue. Not National, IMO. What's good for SC might be detrimental for Montana.

And i think we all agree that whatever Alabama and Mississippi are doing should NOT be copied anywhere else. :mrgreen:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote:
SDHornet wrote: I have plenty of teacher friends who immediately STFU whenever I point this out when they are bitching about their pay. :lol: :dunce:
Well one thing is obvious:Trip has completely bought into the “throw more money at the problem and it’ll solve itself” theory....the government must LOVE him.... :lol: :lol:
Of course. Let's just give money to the problem and not even think about doing some root cause analysis to understand WHY WE HAVE THE PROBLEM IN THE FIRST PLACE? :roll:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Of course. Let's just give money to the problem and not even think about doing some root cause analysis to understand WHY WE HAVE THE PROBLEM IN THE FIRST PLACE? :roll:
Because our culture is sour and no amount of money thrown at education is going to change it.

Public schools are suffering for a large number of reasons and lack of money is WAY down on the totem pole there.

But I do think teachers should be paid more in most places.

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote:
Ibanez wrote:
Because our culture is sour and no amount of money thrown at education is going to change it.

Public schools are suffering for a large number of reasons and lack of money is WAY down on the totem pole there.

But I do think teachers should be paid more in most places.

That's because they don't praise Jeebus in the public schools.

Filthy heathens.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Putting more money into schools is generally just dumping it down a rathole because more money almost always means more strings attached requiring stupid stuff that doesn't help kids. We've actually had a big push in Iowa the last couple of years to reduce red tape and other bureaucratic issues for schools. That has actually played pretty well with our Republican legislature and governor and we have seen some positive changes.

Some teachers should be paid more but there needs to be a differentiation between disciplines rather than just paying all teachers more. History and PE teachers are easy to find. Math, science, and industrial tech teachers are hard to find. Yet under a lot of union contracts they are all paid the same. If you're a math whiz why would you become a teacher when you can go be an actuary and make 50%+ more?

And when it comes to teacher salaries you have to keep in mind that most are probably on 190 day contracts +/- a few days. Most people work 230-240 days +/- based on 260 work days per year less 10ish holidays and 2-4 weeks vacation. So a teacher making $50k gets paid an equivalent of $63k at a regular job when you compare the number of days worked. And benefit packages should also be part of the comparison when looking at teacher salaries.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote:
SDHornet wrote: I have plenty of teacher friends who immediately STFU whenever I point this out when they are bitching about their pay. :lol: :dunce:
I don't know about $80-90k but teachers should be paid more. More money should be put into schools. And it should be easier to oust bad teachers and retain/promote the good ones. Why wouldn't we want to give the majority of kids in this country the best education?

I understand there are good/bad districts. I understand there are LRRs that actually prevent bad teachers from being fired or actually prevent the good ones from doing their jobs better. Education is a local issue. Not National, IMO. What's good for SC might be detrimental for Montana.
90% of people who go into teaching do it because it's "easy" and they get summers off. There's not many who have a burning desire to be a great teacher/mentor. The inability to rid the system of those leeches is 90% of the problem.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

HI54UNI wrote:Putting more money into schools is generally just dumping it down a rathole because more money almost always means more strings attached requiring stupid stuff that doesn't help kids. We've actually had a big push in Iowa the last couple of years to reduce red tape and other bureaucratic issues for schools. That has actually played pretty well with our Republican legislature and governor and we have seen some positive changes.

Some teachers should be paid more but there needs to be a differentiation between disciplines rather than just paying all teachers more. History and PE teachers are easy to find. Math, science, and industrial tech teachers are hard to find. Yet under a lot of union contracts they are all paid the same. If you're a math whiz why would you become a teacher when you can go be an actuary and make 50%+ more?

And when it comes to teacher salaries you have to keep in mind that most are probably on 190 day contracts +/- a few days. Most people work 230-240 days +/- based on 260 work days per year less 10ish holidays and 2-4 weeks vacation. So a teacher making $50k gets paid an equivalent of $63k at a regular job when you compare the number of days worked. And benefit packages should also be part of the comparison when looking at teacher salaries.
AZGrizFan wrote:
Ibanez wrote:I don't know about $80-90k but teachers should be paid more. More money should be put into schools. And it should be easier to oust bad teachers and retain/promote the good ones. Why wouldn't we want to give the majority of kids in this country the best education?
90% of people who go into teaching do it because it's "easy" and they get summers off. There's not many who have a burning desire to be a great teacher/mentor. The inability to rid the system of those leeches is 90% of the problem.
I spent 5 years substitute teaching and while I definitely experienced teachers who got into it because they thought it would be easy it was nowhere near 90%. Most teachers want to do a good job but are handcuffed by the system (too rigid of a curriculum, too much testing rather than teaching, too little discipline/consequences, too large of class sizes, etc.).

Teachers in strong union districts can make a really good salary but it's based on longevity not the quality of their teaching. Starting salaries for teachers tend to be low so the profession doesn't always attract the best candidates. The impact of longevity on salary makes moving to a new district a tougher decision which is too bad because teaching can burn you out and a change of scenery could reinvigorate an experienced teacher.

Fiver is right about the varying salaries. History majors don't have as many options as Math and Science majors. From my experience teachers also spend a lot of their own money on their classroom and their students (especially in lower-income districts) and they can spend their evenings grading papers and preparing lessons for the next day or week (I know a lot of other salaried jobs require evening and weekend work). And that $50K might project out to $63K in a full year but a teacher that wants to work over the summer to make extra money is probably looking at a job in the $10-20/hour range depending on where they live.

Education is critical to the long-term success of the US and it's gotten worse over the last few decades so we need to look outside the box on how to fix it. Throwing money at the problem without really changing anything isn't the solution but strategically investing money in the right ways might be. Let's let state and local governments try different things like what Fiver talked about and see what works rather than having the federal government dictate a one-size-fits-all solution.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
I spent 5 years substitute teaching and while I definitely experienced teachers who got into it because they thought it would be easy it was nowhere near 90%. Most teachers want to do a good job but are handcuffed by the system (too rigid of a curriculum, too much testing rather than teaching, too little discipline/consequences, too large of class sizes, etc.).

Teachers in strong union districts can make a really good salary but it's based on longevity not the quality of their teaching. Starting salaries for teachers tend to be low so the profession doesn't always attract the best candidates. The impact of longevity on salary makes moving to a new district a tougher decision which is too bad because teaching can burn you out and a change of scenery could reinvigorate an experienced teacher.

Fiver is right about the varying salaries. History majors don't have as many options as Math and Science majors. From my experience teachers also spend a lot of their own money on their classroom and their students (especially in lower-income districts) and they can spend their evenings grading papers and preparing lessons for the next day or week (I know a lot of other salaried jobs require evening and weekend work). And that $50K might project out to $63K in a full year but a teacher that wants to work over the summer to make extra money is probably looking at a job in the $10-20/hour range depending on where they live.

Education is critical to the long-term success of the US and it's gotten worse over the last few decades so we need to look outside the box on how to fix it. Throwing money at the problem without really changing anything isn't the solution but strategically investing money in the right ways might be. Let's let state and local governments try different things like what Fiver talked about and see what works rather than having the federal government dictate a one-size-fits-all solution.
Agreed. And I made the 90% number up. Also the 2nd 90% number was also made up. :coffee: :coffee:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote:
And i think we all agree that whatever Alabama and Mississippi are doing should NOT be copied anywhere else. :mrgreen:
Well, those schools are at a disadvantage because they are filled with students from Alabama and Mississippi in the first place.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

AZGrizFan wrote:90% of people who go into teaching do it because it's "easy" and they get summers off. There's not many who have a burning desire to be a great teacher/mentor. The inability to rid the system of those leeches is 90% of the problem.
That's a lot of 90%'s there Z. Your numbers aren't anywhere close to reality. :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

89Hen wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:90% of people who go into teaching do it because it's "easy" and they get summers off. There's not many who have a burning desire to be a great teacher/mentor. The inability to rid the system of those leeches is 90% of the problem.
That's a lot of 90%'s there Z. Your numbers aren't anywhere close to reality. :coffee:
I'm 90% sure I already copped to making up 90% of it.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

AZGrizFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: That's a lot of 90%'s there Z. Your numbers aren't anywhere close to reality. :coffee:
I'm 90% sure I already copped to making up 90% of it.
If you say that 6.93 more times, it will become true.