Football Championship Subdivision discussions
vutomcat
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Villanova

FCS Footbal Alive and Well

Post by vutomcat »

FCS HEADLINES (posted in AGS Forum)

This year, a whopping 167 players from current FCS schools were part of the 32 opening-day rosters for the NFL’s 100th season. Add in 43 players that were signed to practice squads (which go through frequent changes) and the FCS haul in the NFL is 210 (data courtesy Craig Haley of STATS). Notably, there are 39 inductees in the Pro Football Hall of Fame who represent current FCS institutions.

There have been three FCS wins at FBS sites this year. In 2018, FCS teams recorded seven wins against FBS schools. Since 1978, FCS schools have recorded double-digit win totals against the FBS six times, most recently in 2016 (10 that year). The FCS set a record in 2013 with 16 wins against FBS schools.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: FCS Footbal Alive and Well

Post by 89Hen »

1994 there were 86 players from just the SWAC and MEAC on opening day rosters. Not really a good measure of strength of anything.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Villanova

Post by vutomcat »

89Hen wrote:1994 there were 86 players from just the SWAC and MEAC on opening day rosters. Not really a good measure of strength of anything.
# of players in the NFL is a good measure and the current numbers show the strength of FCS.

Source for your HBCU numbers in 1994?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

In 2012 there were ELEVEN Montana Grizzlies on NFL rosters.

Today? ONE.

THAT is all you need to know about the strength of FCS football currently.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: WEBER STATE
A.K.A.: WILDCAT, WILDCATFAN

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

AZGrizFan wrote:In 2012 there were ELEVEN Montana Grizzlies on NFL rosters.

Today? ONE.

That reflects more on the strength of Montana more than the fcs
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Wildcat Ryan wrote:

Today? ONE.

Nope. Almost guaranteed representation of teams across the board is down. Some of the biggest "providers" from the FCS level (App St, GSU, etc.) have moved up....who took their places? ETU? Mercer?

That's endemic of what's happened to FCS football...we may one day get back to where we (collectively) were, but I doubt it.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

vutomcat wrote:
89Hen wrote:1994 there were 86 players from just the SWAC and MEAC on opening day rosters. Not really a good measure of strength of anything.
# of players in the NFL is a good measure and the current numbers show the strength of FCS.

https://theundefeated.com/features/32-h ... l-rosters/
That’s a 50-player drop from back in 1994 when the BCSP began publishing its report. There were 86 HBCU players on opening-day active rosters that year. That list included legends such as future Professional Football Hall of Famers Jackie Slater (Jackson State University), Jerry Rice (Mississippi Valley State University) and Michael Strahan (Texas Southern University).

The numbers have steadily declined since.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Yeah, looking at this year's field, anyone making a case for the strength of FCS is in deep denial or smoking some really choice indica strain.

FCS is horrible presently, and for most of this decade frankly. You can spin with statistics, but wins against FBS are way down, and if you've watched the sport for a few decades, it's just obvious.

Even if you want to go the statistical route, there is only one FCS in the Top 50 of Sagarin , two in the Top 75, and five in the Top 100. That is very low historically for FCS.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Wildcat Ryan wrote:

Nope. Almost guaranteed representation of teams across the board is down. Some of the biggest "providers" from the FCS level (App St, GSU, etc.) have moved up....who took their places? ETU? Mercer?

That's endemic of what's happened to FCS football...we may one day get back to where we (collectively) were, but I doubt it.
Montana and the HBCU’s are down since ‘94! Beyond anecdotal! :lol:

Oh...and 93hen...it’s sativa.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

kalm wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

I put indica in because I know you're in love with CBD, which does nothing for me. I really think it's psychosomatic BS, but that's just me.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

vutomcat wrote:

You can go to HBCU YARD SPORTS its a website on Twitter they have plenty of information.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Today? ONE.

Montana was once the standard for the FCS in the '90s.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

89Hen wrote:
vutomcat wrote:

https://theundefeated.com/features/32-h ... l-rosters/
That’s a 50-player drop from back in 1994 when the BCSP began publishing its report. There were 86 HBCU players on opening-day active rosters that year. That list included legends such as future Professional Football Hall of Famers Jackie Slater (Jackson State University), Jerry Rice (Mississippi Valley State University) and Michael Strahan (Texas Southern University).

The numbers have steadily declined since.
You forgot Aeneas Williams of Southern another HOF from the '90s
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Wildcat Ryan wrote:

JMU has ten on NFL rosters right now (7 active, 3 practice squads). An 11th that was cut in training camp.
2012 was probably 1/2 that..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

93henfan wrote:
kalm wrote:

I put indica in because I know you're in love with CBD, which does nothing for me. I really think it's psychosomatic BS, but that's just me.
Not in love. Jury is still out for me. We’re carrying a line of it now and the cream seems to help as a topical pain application. One of our assistant’s took the tincture went out and fired a 65. Claimed he had a sense of calm. A elderly customer picked some up this morning went to run errands and felt so good he decided to blow off the rest of the day and go play 9 instead.

Talk about anecdotal/psychosomatic! :mrgreen:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Yeah. I look like Willie Fucking Mosconi at the pool hall after five beers too.
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Wildcat Ryan wrote:

North Dakota State, South Dakota State, James Madison, and dare I say Weber State, are all decent programs that have emerged since the schools you mentioned left.

The real difference is the teams that used to be the power that are still fcs have slightly fallen off the map, giving the appearance of a weak division.
css75
Level3
Level3

Post by css75 »

1 from ISU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Wildcat Ryan wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:

North Dakota State, South Dakota State, James Madison, and dare I say Weber State, are all decent programs that have emerged since the schools you mentioned left.

The real difference is the teams that used to be the power that are still fcs have slightly fallen off the map, giving the appearance of a weak division.
How many players from those four schools in the NFL in the past 5 years?
Wildcat Ryan
Level3
Level3

Post by Wildcat Ryan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Wildcat Ryan wrote:

There are 157 FCS players currently in the NFL. I dont know how many players in 2000 were from FCS schools but I'd be surprised if it was that much different.

To answer your question, though, each school has about 4 in the last 5 years which means about one a year.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

The Citadel currently has 4 players on the roster with legitimate shots at the NFL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
GAD_SU
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: Southern U.
A.K.A.: GAD

Post by GAD_SU »

What a lot of people didn't realize is we got a lot of talent because they grew up watching our games and they wanted to play in the SWAC. Chris Allen LB U of Alabama has a few family members who work at Southern, Navy RB Nelson Smith both his parents went to Southern its just a lot harder for us to get those kids now because so many schools now recruit this state
Listen to Marcus Spears answer when asked who's the best college player of all time
https://youtu.be/gEpHjYcxQdA
Lots of those kids go FBS and some go on the the NFL but when the finish the often end up right back at home cheering for there favorite SWAC team
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Wildcat Ryan wrote:

6 Bison in the NFL. JMU is now the power in the CAA, EWU and Weber in the Big Sky. Montana is up and down, Delaware mostly down. Those are the fans saying FCS is down
JBB
Level3
Level3

Post by JBB »

How good is your school at football. Cost/win in 2017:
  • NDSU $377,242
    USD $454,348 smallest budget by far on list and 8 wins.
    SDSU $561,248
    JMU $722,261
    Montana $872,217
    App State $945,009
    Delaware $1,093,447
    UND $1,488,032
    University Oregon $3,614,005
    Iowa $3,993,824 :rofl: 2016: 10:1 spending advantage over the Bison and they lose in a convincing fashion at home
    Alabama $4,788,646
Nobody is as good at football as NDSU. They have the best College of Football in the land. Its been this way for years, its just getting a little more apparent.

If the FCS is weaker schools aren't spending their money efficiently because there is more money in FCS than ever before. I would look to the administrations and how they are doing.
Last edited by JBB on Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Dear Lord, We come before you and humbly ask you to grant our prayer for a veil of protection to be placed over Donald Trump. May your will be done. In Jesus name we pray. Amen
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

GAD_SU wrote:What a lot of people didn't realize is we got a lot of talent because they grew up watching our games and they wanted to play in the SWAC. Chris Allen LB U of Alabama has a few family members who work at Southern, Navy RB Nelson Smith both his parents went to Southern its just a lot harder for us to get those kids now because so many schools now recruit this state
Listen to Marcus Spears answer when asked who's the best college player of all time
https://youtu.be/gEpHjYcxQdA
Lots of those kids go FBS and some go on the the NFL but when the finish the often end up right back at home cheering for there favorite SWAC team
Southern has a QB named DJ White listed at 6-5 230 why isn't he the starting QB his parents are SU Alum.