College Hoops discussion
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: THE BIG EAST CONFERENCE

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote:No, they were better last year and even better again this year. That's what I told you in the original post and you took exception. Just to remind you, I said their program had taken a step forward last year because of their improving record and a very respectable recruiting class. You said they had taken a step backward. Not a strong stance given what has transpired since then. But, like always, GF, you never let the facts get in the way of a spin.

(The post had nothing to do with the #5 pick in the draft Kris Dunn. But, I can see why you would want to deflect off topic).

In other news, Depaul extended it's unbeaten streak (9-0) last night over Texas tech. Now that's worthy of an emoji. Take your pick!

Give it up brother. Enjoy the Delaware basketball success like I enjoyed watching my football Cats dismantle the cluckers once again.
They weren't better last year, and the stats proved it. Remember, they had to pay to be in a post season tournament last year. This year is different, they're not terrible. I'm not going to jump around for an overtime win at home in the middle of the week in early December, but if that's what you want to hang your hat on go ahead. Like most of the Big East, if not all, I'm not expecting to see them in the second weekend of the tournament come March.

As for Kris Dunn, this is a really long thread - if you're going to go back 3 years to bring up a point about DePaul and how they eventually won't be terrible then I'm going back too to see how your projection on the Dunn NBA experiment went. As for emojis, I'm sorry you're too old to embrace new things. All those memes on the internet are probably pissing you off too. :rofl:
Last edited by GannonFan on Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
vutomcat
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Villanova

Post by vutomcat »

vutomcat wrote:Nice to see St. John's and DePaul make some progress toward respectability this year. Good for the conference.
Here's the original post. It was from less than a year ago. :dunce: ( there you go, just for your juvenile self)

You really are a troll. Nuff said.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Hey, since you brought up Providence...

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/20 ... tournament

Now, I seem to remember some discussion on this thread about Providence...

posted December 22nd, 2015

posted in response on December 22nd, 2015

posted on December 22, 2015

posted in response on December 22, 2015

posted on Jan 1st this year

posted on Jan 21st of this year.

posted in response on Jan 21st this year

posted in response on Jan 22nd this year

posted on Jan 25th after Providence knocked off nova

posted on Jan 29th of this year

posted in response on Jan 29th

posted on Feb 8th of this year.

Who is this GannonFan guy and why is he so prescient when it comes to college basketball??? (this is when we need an emoji where the smiley face is holding the microphone out and then dropping it in derision - where can I get one of those???) :rofl:
WHO IS GF? SOME GUY WITH LOW SELF ESTEEM WHO WANTS TO BAD MOUTH A TEAM WHO HAS HAD INJURIES AND A FLU BUG THAT HAS HAMPERED THEIR COMPETITIVENESS.

Not sure what you have against Providence. Weird dude.
It's a long thread - you just going back to last year and you miss the crap you said 3-4 years ago. Beauty of the internet. You had Kris Dunn be a star in the NBA, I called him a bust in the making. You're welcome. :nod:
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

You have to go back 3-4 years ago to find a mistake? HA!

Meanwhile the Big East goes 7-0 on Saturday. Pretty good day.

St Johns over Big 12 West Virginia
Butler over SEC Florida (Butler remains undefeated)
Creighton over Big 10 Nebraska
Xavier over AAC Cincinatti
Marquette over Big 12 Kansas State
Georgetown over AAC SMU
Villanova over the Hawks.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Another outstanding week for the Big East!

St. John's knocks off #24 Arizona
Butler over Purdue
Villanova over #1 Kansas
Seton Hall over #13 ranked Maryland
Xavier over TCU

Quality wins.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Can't stop my self from pointing out that Depaul just beat a top 5 team. End of argument?
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Don't give a fuck what W/L records are

Creighton is fucking sCUm.

Fuck Creighton

Still haven't been out of the opening weekend of the NCAA tournament in damn near 5 fucking decades.

Fucking shit bags.

After all this time you still think it's about anything other than Creighton being a bunch of fucks?
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

clenz wrote:Don't give a fuck what W/L records are

Fuck Creighton

Still haven't been out of the opening weekend of the NCAA tournament in damn near 5 fucking decades.

Fucking shit bags.

After all this time you still think it's about anything other than Creighton being a bunch of fucks?

Start drinking early Clenz? Who said anything about Creighton?
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

vutomcat wrote:
clenz wrote:Don't give a fuck what W/L records are

Fuck Creighton

Fucking shit bags.

Start drinking early Clenz? Who said anything about Creighton?
You did, ya fuck
vutomcat wrote:BIg East Conference record overall

22-1 with the only loss coming from Creighton. Another fast start for the conference. We will see if the post season goes as well.

Where's Clenz? it's been 5 months since his last Creighton bashing.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Too funny. The hatred is real.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

vutomcat wrote:Can't stop my self from pointing out that Depaul just beat a top 5 team. End of argument?
And boom, as soon as you crow about DePaul they lose at home to Creighton of all teams. It's like you jinx them whenever you talk about them. Kenpom has DePaul sitting at #63 right now, which barring winning the Big East Tournament, means they're about 20 spots away from getting in as an at large (and that might be generous given their relatively mild #265 non conference SOS). But at least they probably won't have to pay to be in a postseason tournament this year, unlike previous years. They might even be a middle of the road seed in the NIT. Dare to dream. :rofl:
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

Last year at this time Depaul was 121st in KenPom. About a 60 team improvement year over year.

They have beaten Iowa, Minnesota, Butler, BC, Texas Tech and they took Villanova to overtime at the Finn.

No dreaming here, just facts.
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

At this juncture of the season it appears that the old Big East members that left to go to the ACC-Miami, Pitt, Va Tech, BC, Notre Dame and Syracuse will all be out of the NCAA tournament.

Louisville is the only team that is in and they had to poach a Big East coach to do so.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

vutomcat wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:30 am At this juncture of the season it appears that the old Big East members that left to go to the ACC-Miami, Pitt, Va Tech, BC, Notre Dame and Syracuse will all be out of the NCAA tournament.

Louisville is the only team that is in and they had to poach a Big East coach to do so.
That's pretty damning...
:thumb:
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

dbackjon wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:49 am
vutomcat wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:30 am At this juncture of the season it appears that the old Big East members that left to go to the ACC-Miami, Pitt, Va Tech, BC, Notre Dame and Syracuse will all be out of the NCAA tournament.

That's pretty damning...

The Big East school's make a big deal out of being "basketball schools" and I guess it is working in the recruiting process. Kinda makes sense. Who doesn't want to be the BMOC? At a G5 school, it's the football players first , then bball.

Never thought I would see so many of these one time Big East powers so weak. Meanwhile, schools like Creighton, Butler, Marquette and Seton Hall have become major threats and Villanova is now one of the top programs (blue bloods). Good time for the Big East. Just need to parlay this in season success to the tournament for someone other than Nova.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Could be the Big 10's year - they have 10 teams that not only are locks for the tournament, but could all be top 8 seeds when it comes down to it. Heck, they could end up getting half of the Sweet 16 with the teams they have. And all of them also play football. Big East will need to show it can get to the second weekend - that's not been a consistent enough thing for them - nova in their good years, and sometimes Xavier, and then not much else. Just a weak year for the ACC, but I wouldn't sleep on Duke, Florida St, or Louisville - they're all Final 4 legit good.

Of all the schools that left, Pittsburgh is the one that is the real mystery - Syracuse has been up and down for years, Notre Dame is always borderline good (and they are the one that could still make the tournament this year), Miami and VA Tech have always been spotty, but Pitt was a dominant team for a good chunk of time. They started the decline before they left the Big East and they haven't bounced back year. A lost decade for Pitt basketball.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:51 am Could be the Big 10's year - they have 10 teams that not only are locks for the tournament, but could all be top 8 seeds when it comes down to it. Heck, they could end up getting half of the Sweet 16 with the teams they have. And all of them also play football. Big East will need to show it can get to the second weekend - that's not been a consistent enough thing for them - nova in their good years, and sometimes Xavier, and then not much else. Just a weak year for the ACC, but I wouldn't sleep on Duke, Florida St, or Louisville - they're all Final 4 legit good.

Of all the schools that left, Pittsburgh is the one that is the real mystery - Syracuse has been up and down for years, Notre Dame is always borderline good (and they are the one that could still make the tournament this year), Miami and VA Tech have always been spotty, but Pitt was a dominant team for a good chunk of time. They started the decline before they left the Big East and they haven't bounced back year. A lost decade for Pitt basketball.
Pitt's problem recently was a bad coaching hire. Too early to tell if Capel can turn them around.

Their best, sustained success came under the NAU duo of Ben Howland and Jaime Dixon. Once they left (Howland in 2003 for UCLA, Dixon in 2016 for TCU), they dropped off.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:20 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:51 am Could be the Big 10's year - they have 10 teams that not only are locks for the tournament, but could all be top 8 seeds when it comes down to it. Heck, they could end up getting half of the Sweet 16 with the teams they have. And all of them also play football. Big East will need to show it can get to the second weekend - that's not been a consistent enough thing for them - nova in their good years, and sometimes Xavier, and then not much else. Just a weak year for the ACC, but I wouldn't sleep on Duke, Florida St, or Louisville - they're all Final 4 legit good.

Pitt's problem recently was a bad coaching hire. Too early to tell if Capel can turn them around.

Their best, sustained success came under the NAU duo of Ben Howland and Jaime Dixon. Once they left (Howland in 2003 for UCLA, Dixon in 2016 for TCU), they dropped off.
I don't disagree, but the drop-off happened during Dixon's tenure.

As for the Big 10, heck, they could get 12 teams in - Purdue and Minnesota are .500 teams but have kenpom rankings of #25 and #31 respectively. They wouldn't be good seeds obviously.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Dixon's last five seasons:
22-17
24-9
26-10
19-15
21-12

2014-15 was a bad year by Dixon's standards, but made the tourney the next year.

Although an argument could be made once the Big East Recruits were gone (Pitt joined the ACC in 2013), Pitt HAS struggled.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:34 pm Dixon's last five seasons:
22-17
24-9
26-10
19-15
21-12

2014-15 was a bad year by Dixon's standards, but made the tourney the next year.

Although an argument could be made once the Big East Recruits were gone (Pitt joined the ACC in 2013), Pitt HAS struggled.
The quality differed - between 2002 and 2011 they made every tourney and had seeds of 3, 2, 3, 9 5, 3, 4, 1, 3, 1. After that, they missed the tournament in 2012 (while still in Big East), then 8 seed, then 9 seed, then missed again in 2015 (now in ACC), and then 10 seed. They starting losing recruits long before any move to the ACC was announced. Dixon was successful early, but he tailed off for sure afterwards. In his defense, the Big East wasn't very deep in the mid to late 2000's. They had nowhere to hide once a weakened Pitt program (even by Big East standards) hit the ACC. That hasn't helped with recruiting since.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Including a loss to my Grizzlies a couple years ago. :nod: :nod:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
vutomcat
Level2
Level2

Post by vutomcat »

The Big 10 is deep and talented, I agree. I would be leery about tournament success though. They don't seem to be able to win on the road.

and, maybe it's just me, but a conference where Penn State and Rutgers win, makes one wonder too.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

vutomcat wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:20 am The Big 10 is deep and talented, I agree. I would be leery about tournament success though. They don't seem to be able to win on the road.

and, maybe it's just me, but a conference where Penn State and Rutgers win, makes one wonder too.
That duo is 5-2 against P6 OOC teams, including 2-0 vs Big East.

Rutgers handled the #1 team in the Big East easily, winning by 20.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:45 am
vutomcat wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:20 am The Big 10 is deep and talented, I agree. I would be leery about tournament success though. They don't seem to be able to win on the road.

Agreed, those aren't your normal Penn St and Rutgers teams. Although I'd be wary about Rutgers, they look to have hit a scoring wall all of a sudden. At times they look like UVA from last year - granted, that UVA team won it all, but you score as little as they do and for every national title you also get an upset by the likes of a UMBC in there. Balance is always a good thing.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:17 pm
dbackjon wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:45 am

Agreed, those aren't your normal Penn St and Rutgers teams. Although I'd be wary about Rutgers, they look to have hit a scoring wall all of a sudden. At times they look like UVA from last year - granted, that UVA team won it all, but you score as little as they do and for every national title you also get an upset by the likes of a UMBC in there. Balance is always a good thing.
Yup - have less confidence in Rutgers. Still great to see them competing