Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Re: RE: Re: The Trump Whistleblower Extravaganza Thread

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote:
kalm wrote:
Sadly true. :ohno:
Sadly true in that the Senate should have a real trial to address the articles. Not true in that a Pelosi presidency scares me as much as a Pence presidency. I'll take Trump over either of those zealots.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I guess you forgot that Pelosi spoke vigorously against impeachment right up until the Ukraine affair. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Re: The Trump Whistleblower Extravaganza Thread

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote:Bwhahahahaha....

:notworthy:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

mainejeff2 wrote:I hope that Trump brings everyone down.....the GOP, the Bidens, Russia, Ukraine....the whole lot of them.

Somewhere Hillary is getting her bowl of popcorn ready. :popcorn:

:coffee:
Now you're thinking more like me. It was never Dems vs Reps with our elected officials, but the ruling class vs the people.

Trump takes down Reps? I'd love that too.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Here’s another name with ties to Manafort, Lanny Davis, Giulianni, Biden, numerous Trump lawyers, the Queen, The Getty’s, The Rothschilds, and....Colonel Sanders before he went tets up.

:lol:

Jesus.

According to close watchers of Gazprom, a chunk of this cash cycled back to Moscow in the form of kickbacks. Another chunk of this money was spent bankrolling Russian political influence in Ukraine. Firtash was one of the two primary patrons of Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych and his political party. (He also bought a television network for the sake of promoting the cause.) This meant that Firtash was also writing the checks that covered the cost of Paul Manafort’s services to Yanukovych. It’s worth pausing to marvel at the narrative symmetry of this scandal: Both Manafort and Parnas shared the same Russian-aligned paymaster.

In 2014, just after a revolution chased Yanukovych from power, the FBI issued an arrest warrant for Firtash. Austrian authorities detained Firtash near his Vienna mansion. The indictment alleged that he had bribed Indian officials on behalf of Boeing, which desperately wanted to acquire rare materials for the construction of its 787 Dreamliner. (McKinsey & Company, the now-vilified consulting firm, apparently vetted Boeing’s decision to work with Firtash and didn’t recommend against it, according to a New York Times investigation.)

When Firtash needed someone to pay his bail—which the Austrians set at $155 million, the highest in the nation’s history—the oligarch Vasily Anisimov, a member of Putin’s inner circle, supplied the cash. Over the past five years, Firtash has successfully battled the Justice Department’s attempts to extradite him. He’s hired an army of American lawyers, lobbyists, and consultants, including the notorious Jack Abramoff and the longtime Bill and Hillary Clinton friend Lanny Davis, as well as the Donald Trump–supporting lawyers Joseph diGenova and Victoria Toensing. His spokesman is Mark Corallo, who worked for Trump’s legal team during the Mueller investigation
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... e-atlantic
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote:Here’s another name with ties to Manafort, Lanny Davis, Giulianni, Biden, numerous Trump lawyers, the Queen, The Getty’s, The Rothschilds, and....Colonel Sanders before he went tets up.

:lol:

Jesus.

According to close watchers of Gazprom, a chunk of this cash cycled back to Moscow in the form of kickbacks. Another chunk of this money was spent bankrolling Russian political influence in Ukraine. Firtash was one of the two primary patrons of Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych and his political party. (He also bought a television network for the sake of promoting the cause.) This meant that Firtash was also writing the checks that covered the cost of Paul Manafort’s services to Yanukovych. It’s worth pausing to marvel at the narrative symmetry of this scandal: Both Manafort and Parnas shared the same Russian-aligned paymaster.

In 2014, just after a revolution chased Yanukovych from power, the FBI issued an arrest warrant for Firtash. Austrian authorities detained Firtash near his Vienna mansion. The indictment alleged that he had bribed Indian officials on behalf of Boeing, which desperately wanted to acquire rare materials for the construction of its 787 Dreamliner. (McKinsey & Company, the now-vilified consulting firm, apparently vetted Boeing’s decision to work with Firtash and didn’t recommend against it, according to a New York Times investigation.)

When Firtash needed someone to pay his bail—which the Austrians set at $155 million, the highest in the nation’s history—the oligarch Vasily Anisimov, a member of Putin’s inner circle, supplied the cash. Over the past five years, Firtash has successfully battled the Justice Department’s attempts to extradite him. He’s hired an army of American lawyers, lobbyists, and consultants, including the notorious Jack Abramoff and the longtime Bill and Hillary Clinton friend Lanny Davis, as well as the Donald Trump–supporting lawyers Joseph diGenova and Victoria Toensing. His spokesman is Mark Corallo, who worked for Trump’s legal team during the Mueller investigation
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... e-atlantic
Fake news...at least the part about Colonel Sanders. :tothehand:

But I did enjoy the passing reference to Igor Fruman, the Sausage King of Kiev! :nod:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

mainejeff2 wrote:What's going on with Devin Nunes?
Parnas is like Epstein. Everyone has been seen with him.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote:
mainejeff2 wrote:What's going on with Devin Nunes?
Parnas is like Epstein. Everyone has been seen with him.
I bet Dershowitz's legal advice will be pro bono in exchange for Trump not mentioning the parties they attended at the place locals refer to as Pedophile Island.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

What’s this crap I’m hearing that Republicans won’t allow any evidence from the HoR to be used?

Just so we’re clear, McConnell wants a sham trial. WAFJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote:What’s this crap I’m hearing that Republicans won’t allow any evidence from the HoR to be used?

It’s what innocent people do. They suppress evidence.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ibanez wrote:What’s this crap I’m hearing that Republicans won’t allow any evidence from the HoR to be used?

What evidence is not being allowed?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: The Trump Whistleblower Extravaganza Thread

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote:

It’s what innocent people do. They destroy evidence.
FYP to highlight the irony.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

What's not already known? Other than the star chamber stuff the HoR did in the basement of the capitol behind closed doors, which I think even that stuff was eventually leaked out in full, what has not already been publicized? This isn't a regular trial with a jury being unacquainted with the case before sitting down to hear it, this is a political trial where everyone has heard all of this stuff for as long as the impeachment inquiry, and prior to it actually, has been going on.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote:

What's not already known? Other than the star chamber stuff the HoR did in the basement of the capitol behind closed doors, which I think even that stuff was eventually leaked out in full, what has not already been publicized? This isn't a regular trial with a jury being unacquainted with the case before sitting down to hear it, this is a political trial where everyone has heard all of this stuff for as long as the impeachment inquiry, and prior to it actually, has been going on.
So why even have a trial to begin with?
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
It's procedure.
That's like asking why the FCS season is played when we all know who will win the NC game.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote:

What evidence is not being allowed?
I heard it this AM but I don’t know if it’s confirmed. It was all the evidence.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote:

I disagree. It’s a trial. Trump should be able to confront witnesses and evidence Without that, it’s a true coverup.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Because that's what the Constitution calls for. And it still includes both sides arguing why their view of the evidence and the accusations are either valid or not valid.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
I disagree. It’s a trial. Trump should be able to confront witnesses and evidence Without that, it’s a true coverup.

What's being covered up? We all know what was done at this point. Trump was going to use the money as leverage to get Ukraine to investigate Hunter's deal with Burisma. Legally, he couldn't hold it for more than a month and a half since the fiscal year was coming up, and they held it up for about that long. And when Congress asked about this the White House didn't give them access to anyone and everyone. That's the evidence that is out there, that's the meat of the articles of impeachment, both the abuse of power and the lack of cooperation with Congress. Again, these are not real trials from the standpoint of a regular courtroom, these are political trials and have always been that way. All that's left now is to formally hear both sides of the argument (the trial) and to vote to remove from office or not.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote:
Ibanez wrote: I disagree. It’s a trial. Trump should be able to confront witnesses and evidence Without that, it’s a true coverup.

What's being covered up? We all know what was done at this point. Trump was going to use the money as leverage to get Ukraine to investigate Hunter's deal with Burisma. Legally, he couldn't hold it for more than a month and a half since the fiscal year was coming up, and they held it up for about that long. And when Congress asked about this the White House didn't give them access to anyone and everyone. That's the evidence that is out there, that's the meat of the articles of impeachment, both the abuse of power and the lack of cooperation with Congress. Again, these are not real trials from the standpoint of a regular courtroom, these are political trials and have always been that way. All that's left now is to formally hear both sides of the argument (the trial) and to vote to remove from office or not.
No, i'm saying that if the Senate doesn't allow the evidence to be admitted nor all any witnesses to be examined, then they are basically rubber stamping an acquittal. How can you possibly have a trial without presenting any evidence? Yes, we all know what has been said and what not, but evidence still needs to be submitted. It was done so in the Clinton Impeachment.

It all seems extremely shady to me.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote:It all seems extremely shady to me.
It is in Congress you know that?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
No, i'm saying that if the Senate doesn't allow the evidence to be admitted nor all any witnesses to be examined, then they are basically rubber stamping an acquittal. How can you possibly have a trial without presenting any evidence? Yes, we all know what has been said and what not, but evidence still needs to be submitted. It was done so in the Clinton Impeachment.

But isn't that just a formality? We're in a 24/7 news world, we've heard this evidence over and over again since this all began. Nothing new is being presented, simply just the formal acknowledgment that the evidence is "submitted". Why does that make a difference? Aren't we just getting hung up on a word rather than examining the evidence that's been in plain sight for months now? If a Senator is going to ignore the evidence it doesn't matter if it's "submitted" or not, they're already going to ignore it. And if a Senator is going to vote either to remove from office or not, they can and will already do that knowing all of this evidence, again, whether it is "submitted" or not. The House Managers get to talk for 24 hours about this evidence, heck, they could read it all if they really wanted to.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Yup. If Democrats really cared about holding the president accountable and the rule of law and yadda yadda they would've nailed Trump for obstruction long ago. I'm amazed that people think this whole process is about truth and justice instead of politics.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote:
Ibanez wrote: No, i'm saying that if the Senate doesn't allow the evidence to be admitted nor all any witnesses to be examined, then they are basically rubber stamping an acquittal. How can you possibly have a trial without presenting any evidence? Yes, we all know what has been said and what not, but evidence still needs to be submitted. It was done so in the Clinton Impeachment.

But isn't that just a formality? We're in a 24/7 news world, we've heard this evidence over and over again since this all began. Nothing new is being presented, simply just the formal acknowledgment that the evidence is "submitted". Why does that make a difference? Aren't we just getting hung up on a word rather than examining the evidence that's been in plain sight for months now? If a Senator is going to ignore the evidence it doesn't matter if it's "submitted" or not, they're already going to ignore it. And if a Senator is going to vote either to remove from office or not, they can and will already do that knowing all of this evidence, again, whether it is "submitted" or not. The House Managers get to talk for 24 hours about this evidence, heck, they could read it all if they really wanted to.
So why even have a trial?

Doesn’t evidence in regular trials come out with indictments, through discovery, and argued before hand with motions as well as the press? Why have a trial in those cases either?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:So why even have a trial?
Exactly. Clinton vote in Senate was 0-45 by D's and 50-5 R's. Do we really think anyone voted based on evidence?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:So why even have a trial?
Exactly. Clinton vote in Senate was 0-45 by D's and 50-5 R's. Do we really think anyone voted based on evidence?
True. It’s not a vote on innocence. It’s whether his crimes amount to removing him from office.

The only slight danger with McConnell’s strategy is Republicans being damaged for running it through quickly and voter resentment come November. Given the attention span and intelligence of American voters I think he’s making a relatively safe bet.
Last edited by kalm on Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.