Coronavirus COVID-19

Political discussions
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Skjellyfetti »

93henfan wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:38 pm This thing will kill less than the flu this year, but you'd never know it watching CNN.
It could. The problem is if we overwhelm our hospitals. It will then spin out of control like we're seeing in Italy.

I don't think it's time to panic. But, I do think it's well past time we realize this ain't the fuckin seasonal flu.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

93henfan wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:38 pm CNN really is doing the country a disservice.

The truth lies somewhere between "this ain't shit" and what CNN is doing, and I personally think it's a lot closer to "this ain't shit".

Gil is spot on with the don't panic/stay calm comment. That's really the way we get through the tunnel. This thing will kill less than the flu this year, but you'd never know it watching CNN.
Are you sure Swami?
Go Black Bears!
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

mainejeff wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:56 pm
93henfan wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:38 pm CNN really is doing the country a disservice.

The truth lies somewhere between "this ain't shit" and what CNN is doing, and I personally think it's a lot closer to "this ain't shit".

Gil is spot on with the don't panic/stay calm comment. That's really the way we get through the tunnel. This thing will kill less than the flu this year, but you'd never know it watching CNN.
Are you sure Swami?
Yep. Flu killed ~650,000 people last year. Even with a vaccine.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:02 pm
BDKJMU wrote: And what pray tell in your mind did he screw up. :? :roll:
My post was before his address. Learn to read, BDKKK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know your post was before his address. Learn to comprehend.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Col Hogan wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:14 pm Image
Popcorn Sutton and JB Rader back in maybe the 90s..
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

CAA Flagship wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:35 pm Virginia Tech: Extending Spring Break an extra week, then online classes only for remainder of semester.

My son will need to figure out when to go back and clear out his dorm room.
Will there be Hokie Helpers?
Proletarians of the world, unite!
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

93henfan wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:58 pm
mainejeff wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:56 pm

Are you sure Swami?
Yep. Flu killed ~650,000 people last year. Even with a vaccine.
This thing is at 4k+. Don't think it will come close to the flu..We'll see.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:03 pm
Skjellyfetti wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:58 pm

Sounds like Trump ad libbed that or something. White House is walking it back. Perhaps they realized it was a ridiculously stupid idea after the speech. Not sure.

He did say that, though:
The travel ban itself is a dumb idea, especially if you're going to simply exempt the UK. The virus is already here, spreading. The response we need is here in the United States, not travel bans that are a month behind.

That speech was a weak response, at best.

If anything, Europe should ban us for traveling there. :lol:
So you think hundreds of people at a time should continue to cram into a tightly confined, small space, shoulder to shoulder, for 7-12 hours at a time, basically a flying petri dish, criss crossing the Atlantic, thousands of times a day, from dozens of European airports, from one infected block of countries (the EU), to another. Got it.

I bet you're fine though with banning large crowds in the US, which BTW aren't as crammed or in as tightly a confined space as an aircraft, and are generally for much shorter periods of time than trans Atlantic flights.

The speech wasn't a weak response at all.

If the EU wants to ban US citizens for 30 days, so be it.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:03 pm
ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:Coming from an anti American like you I will wear that like a badge of honor.

Trump schooled you fear mongers tonight

Bitch

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Oh noes! Some hick from Montana thinks he knows me.

Fucking Snowflake.

Youre the one with hurt feelers like a skinned knee little girl. Orange man bad derp derp derp we all gonna die and stuff!!! Kalm down Karen

:coffee:
Bitch

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:58 pm

Sounds like Trump ad libbed that or something. White House is walking it back. Perhaps they realized it was a ridiculously stupid idea after the speech. Not sure.

He did say that, though:
The travel ban itself is a dumb idea, especially if you're going to simply exempt the UK. The virus is already here, spreading. The response we need is here in the United States, not travel bans that are a month behind.

You bitches cried racism and xenophobia a month ago when Trump declared an emergency now you want to let more people into the country from where its originating? Reall fucking stupid idea. You should follow Trumps lead on this, STFU and let rational thinking people lead the country.

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

As far as leaving the UK exempt, they're not part of the EU anymore, and they're not as open border. You have hundreds of thousands of American citizens all over Europe (vacation, work, school) that will still need to come back to the US over the next 30 days. They can return to the US through the UK. A lot easier to screen people at a handful of UK airports, few hundred flights a day, versus several dozen EU airports/few thousand daily flights. Obviously aren't going to stop the spread of the virus. Objective is to slow it.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

93henfan wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:11 pm Dow Futures down 1,055 and growing. :lol:

That's all you need to know about the speech tonight. It was a bad stinker.
He laid out the economic relief and travel ban. What would you have done/said differently that would keep the markets from tanking?

On the backdrop of the NCAA fanless and NBA cancelling announcements, and the general hysteria, I don't know if anything could have been said or done to keep the markets from tanking for at least another day..
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Relatively few cases India (next to China, but warmer climate), Africa, and S America. And there's a lot of densely packed cities with poor sanitation. I've seen the speculation that this could be like the flu viruses in that it mostly dies out in the summer, then flares back up in the late fall/early winter..But none of the experts know for sure..
https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/03/09 ... ronavirus/
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:07 pm

So you think hundreds of people at a time should continue to cram into a tightly confined, small space, shoulder to shoulder, for 7-12 hours at a time, basically a flying petri dish, criss crossing the Atlantic, thousands of times a day, from dozens of European airports, from one infected block of countries (the EU), to another. Got it.

I bet you're fine though with banning large crowds in the US, which BTW aren't as crammed or in as tightly a confined space as an aircraft, and are generally for much shorter periods of time than trans Atlantic flights.

The speech wasn't a weak response at all.

If the EU wants to ban US citizens for 30 days, so be it.
It was a WEAK ass response, and possibly a dangerous one where passengers will now circumvent point-to-point travel and spread this to uninfected regions of the world just so they can get to the US.

Nations are dealing with this successfully without travel bans, then you've got a dumb ass doing little at home and tanking the economy.

Also you're completely misinformed about airplanes being human petri dishes:
https://www.livescience.com/62060-respi ... ssion.html

Large gatherings ARE worse. Do you think scientists are asking to ban large crowds instead of imposing travel restrictions based on nothing but their feelings? See: human history.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:43 pm
93henfan wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:38 pm This thing will kill less than the flu this year, but you'd never know it watching CNN.
It could. The problem is if we overwhelm our hospitals. It will then spin out of control like we're seeing in Italy.

I don't think it's time to panic. But, I do think it's well past time we realize this ain't the fuckin seasonal flu.
The big difference being there's no vaccine right now, and the vastly higher transmission rate.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:14 pm As far as leaving the UK exempt, they're not part of the EU anymore, and they're not as open border. You have hundreds of thousands of American citizens all over Europe (vacation, work, school) that will still need to come back to the US over the next 30 days. They can return to the US through the UK. A lot easier to screen people at a handful of UK airports, few hundred flights a day, versus several dozen EU airports/few thousand daily flights. Obviously aren't going to stop the spread of the virus. Objective is to slow it.
The UK has an open border with the EU until the end of the year. People can just circumvent the UK if they want to, spreading the virus where it may not be. The best way to deal with this isn't travel bans, but focusing on protecting the homeland and having proper responses when cases occur. Start testing people at a mass scale if we want to actually prevent this from spreading, and allow people to stay at home without having to suffer financial setbacks (would be easier if we had universal healthcare, UBI, and/or codified leave times).
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:45 am
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:14 pm As far as leaving the UK exempt, they're not part of the EU anymore, and they're not as open border. You have hundreds of thousands of American citizens all over Europe (vacation, work, school) that will still need to come back to the US over the next 30 days. They can return to the US through the UK. A lot easier to screen people at a handful of UK airports, few hundred flights a day, versus several dozen EU airports/few thousand daily flights. Obviously aren't going to stop the spread of the virus. Objective is to slow it.
The UK has an open border with the EU until the end of the year. People can just circumvent the UK if they want to, spreading the virus where it may not be. The best way to deal with this isn't travel bans, but focusing on protecting the homeland and having proper responses when cases occur. Start testing people at a mass scale if we want to actually prevent this from spreading, and allow people to stay at home without having to suffer financial setbacks (would be easier if we had universal healthcare, UBI, and/or codified leave times).
I didn't see the speech, but a travel ban should have happened in early Feb. Not buying how a travel ban is a bad idea. Funny how the open border folks still want an open border even with this shit going around. :dunce:

As far as what this thing turnouts out to be, I'm leaning along the lines of 93's thinking as far as health impact. The economic impacts will be hard, especially on travel/tourism industries but they'll bounce back when this thing runs it course. When that will be remains the question.

All I know is Disneyland better stay the fuck open as I have a trip with the fam scheduled there in a few weeks. Hoping for short lines and a less crowded environment.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:17 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:24 pm

BDKKK, you are a prince among thugs. :lol:
:tothehand:
Hey, I look at your posts, I think of Mickey Matthews. :coffee:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:22 am I didn't see the speech, but a travel ban should have happened in early Feb. Not buying how a travel ban is a bad idea. Funny how the open border folks still want an open border even with this shit going around. :dunce:
Here it is from the WHO:
This document provides updated recommendations for international traffic in relation to the COVID-19 outbreak, in light of the rapidly evolving situation. It supersedes the advice published on 27 January 2020.

On 30 January 2020, the Director-General of the World Health Organization, following the advice of the Emergency Committee convened under the International Health Regulations (2005), declared the current outbreak of COVID-19 a public health emergency of international concern and issued Temporary Recommendations. The Committee asked the Director-General to provide further advice on these matters and, if necessary, to make new case-by-case recommendations, in view of this rapidly evolving situation.
Affected areas

“Affected areas” are considered those countries, provinces, territories or cities experiencing ongoing transmission of COVID-19, in contrast to areas reporting only imported cases. As of 27 February 2020, although China, particularly the Province of Hubei, has experienced sustained local transmission and has reported by far the largest number of confirmed cases since the beginning of the outbreak, lately the situation in China showed a significant decrease in cases. At the same time, an increasing number of countries, other than China, have reported cases, including through local transmission of COVID-19. As the epidemic evolves, it will be expected that many areas may detect imported cases and local transmission of COVID-19. WHO is publishing daily situation reports on the evolution of the outbreak.

The outbreaks reported so far have occurred primarily within clusters of cases exposed through close-contacts, within families or special gathering events. COVID-19 is primarily transmitted through droplets from, and close contact with, infected individuals. Control measures that focus on prevention, particularly through regular hand washing and cough hygiene, and on active surveillance for the early detection and isolation of cases, the rapid identification and close monitoring of persons in contacts with cases, and the rapid access to clinical care, particularly for severe cases, are effective to contain most outbreaks of COVID-19.

Recommendations for international traffic.

WHO continues to advise against the application of travel or trade restrictions to countries experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks.

In general, evidence shows that restricting the movement of people and goods during public health emergencies is ineffective in most situations and may divert resources from other interventions. Furthermore, restrictions may interrupt needed aid and technical support, may disrupt businesses, and may have negative social and economic effects on the affected countries. However, in certain circumstances, measures that restrict the movement of people may prove temporarily useful, such as in settings with few international connections and limited response capacities.

Travel measures that significantly interfere with international traffic may only be justified at the beginning of an outbreak, as they may allow countries to gain time, even if only a few days, to rapidly implement effective preparedness measures. Such restrictions must be based on a careful risk assessment, be proportionate to the public health risk, be short in duration, and be reconsidered regularly as the situation evolves.

Travel bans to affected areas or denial of entry to passengers coming from affected areas are usually not effective in preventing the importation of cases but may have a significant economic and social impact. Since WHO declaration of a public health emergency of international concern in relation to COVID-19, and as of 27 February, 38 countries have reported to WHO additional health measures that significantly interfere with international traffic in relation to travel to and from China or other countries, ranging from denial of entry of passengers, visa restrictions or quarantine for returning travelers. Several countries that denied entry of travelers or who have suspended the flights to and from China or other affected countries, are now reporting cases of COVID-19.

Temperature screening alone, at exit or entry, is not an effective way to stop international spread, since infected individuals may be in incubation period, may not express apparent symptoms early on in the course of the disease, or may dissimulate fever through the use of antipyretics; in addition, such measures require substantial investments for what may bear little benefits. It is more effective to provide prevention recommendation messages to travelers and to collect health declarations at arrival, with travelers’ contact details, to allow for a proper risk assessment and a possible contact tracing of incoming travelers.
https://www.who.int/news-room/articles- ... -outbreak/

We're far past the time for travel restrictions. When you have a President babbling on about travel restrictions and saying nothing about the response at home, you pretty much know this administration has no idea what it's doing. Markets agree.

As of now, the local, state, and private sectors are going to have to take leadership because leadership from the fed is non-existent. You've got an administration sending mixed messages, a dismissive President making things worse, and no effective game plan by the gov't.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Isn't the point to not inundate the health services with Coronavirus patients? Wouldn't a travel ban help with "flattening the curve"?

And your last statement about no leadership from the Fed is ridiculous. Member when Trump was lambasted for his response team not being diverse enough? Yeah, I member:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/30/politics ... index.html

BTW that was way back in January. Seems like the msm's narrative has changed just a bit since then. I wonder why. :coffee:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:38 am Isn't the point to not inundate the health services with Coronavirus patients? Wouldn't a travel ban help with "flattening the curve"?
Maybe, maybe not. Can you tell me if it does? Can Trump?

WHO certainly doesn't think it'd be effective at this point.

Travel ban aside, yesterday's speech was also an indication that the administration is focusing on the wrong stuff. He's treating this as some foreign entity that can be stopped at the border when the thing virus is here for weeks now. If he really wants to fix this, he needs to go on prime time again and detail the ground game the federal government is going to implement, not just some limp-wrist travel restrictions.

Being dismissive, and treating the virus as some weird enemy of the state, is a very dangerous game.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:49 am
SDHornet wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:38 am Isn't the point to not inundate the health services with Coronavirus patients? Wouldn't a travel ban help with "flattening the curve"?

Travel ban aside, yesterday's speech was also an indication that the administration is focusing on the wrong stuff. He's treating this as some foreign entity that can be stopped at the border when the thing virus is here for weeks now. If he really wants to fix this, he needs to go on prime time again and detail the ground game the federal government is going to implement, not just some limp-wrist travel restrictions.

Being dismissive, and treating the virus as some weird enemy of the state, is a very dangerous game.
:nod:

This shit ain’t political and it’s not going away anytime soon. We’re past prevention and into mitigation. It’s going to take a very quick and massive response (like literally constructing temporary hospitals and staying home...today) in order to realistically flatten the curve.

In a free and open society we are at a much higher risk and we are already behind.

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:49 am

Your whole response is just :lol:
Trump does something, it's his fault. Trump does nothing, it's his fault. :dunce:

This virus is here, steps are being taken to limit how fast it spreads and that includes importing additional cases via air travel to Europe. In addition to the Fed; State, county, and local agencies/entities are already taking actions they see fit. I think it's already too late for a travel ban (BTW closing the borders worked great for Russia), but I'm not opposed to taking the steps deemed necessary. Not sure why you feel otherwise and in fact, seem contradictory to your "shut down big local gatherings" you posted yesterday.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:07 pm
Ibanez wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:03 pm
Oh noes! Some hick from Montana thinks he knows me.

Fucking Snowflake.

Youre the one with hurt feelers like a skinned knee little girl. Orange man bad derp derp derp we all gonna die and stuff!!! Kalm down Karen

:coffee:
Bitch
Aw. I triggered the big bad redneck/keyboard warrior from Montana by having an opinion. That's just precious. :) :)
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:23 pm
Ibanez wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:02 pm
My post was before his address. Learn to read, BDKKK

I know your post was before his address. Learn to comprehend.
Then why would you ask me what he screwed up if you're referring to a pre-address comment? Perhaps you should be more clear.

I think his delivery was robotic but overall, it was straight forward and he didn't make it all about himself, too much. It was quite solemn for him, so let's see what today brings. Let's see if it was good enough.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17