Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Coronavirus

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:04 am The Imperial College Report the media has loved to cite has now significantly revised down the anticipated number of deaths. I'm shocked (not).
Might want to check that...Literally from the horses mouth:

neil_ferguson
@neil_ferguson
Profile picture
4 hours ago, 4 tweets, 1 min read
Bookmark Save as PDF My Authors
1/4 - I think it would be helpful if I cleared up some confusion that has emerged in recent days. Some have interpreted my evidence to a UK parliamentary committee as indicating we have substantially revised our assessments of the potential mortality impact of COVID-19.
2/4 -This is not the case. Indeed, if anything, our latest estimates suggest that the virus is slightly more transmissible than we previously thought. Our lethality estimates remain unchanged

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1243 ... 24928.html
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

kalm wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:48 pm
Pwns wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:04 am The Imperial College Report the media has loved to cite has now significantly revised down the anticipated number of deaths. I'm shocked (not).

neil_ferguson
@neil_ferguson
Profile picture
1/4 - I think it would be helpful if I cleared up some confusion that has emerged in recent days. Some have interpreted my evidence to a UK parliamentary committee as indicating we have substantially revised our assessments of the potential mortality impact of COVID-19.
2/4 -This is not the case. Indeed, if anything, our latest estimates suggest that the virus is slightly more transmissible than we previously thought. Our lethality estimates remain unchanged

I think the debate is that their initial assumptions/models were based on no one having the Chinese Flu. Who knows how long this thing has been circulating and how many people have already had it. I don't think this reduces the severity or cautions people need to take/consider when deciding on what to do in their daily lives. Now as far as how governments use this to make decisions that impact people's everyday life...that's where it starts to get sticky.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:

neil_ferguson
@neil_ferguson
Profile picture

In short

The model hasn’t changed .... behaviors have
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:18 pm
kalm wrote:

neil_ferguson
@neil_ferguson
Profile picture

In short

The model hasn’t changed .... behaviors have

:nod:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Jesus Orange Moob Fucking Christ...

What in the fuck is Kushner doing in there? They’re quibbling over a billion after a 2 trillion dollar bailout and worried about over-production? “Don’t build too many tanks” said FDR never.
Targets have changed by the hour, officials said, as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Department of Health and Human Services, the Food and Drug Administration, which approves the use of medical devices, and the White House try to figure out how many ventilators to request and how much they should cost.

Those issues appeared to come to a head on Wednesday afternoon, when FEMA told the White House that it was premature to make a decision.

The $1.5 billion price tag comes to around $18,000 a ventilator. And the overall cost, by comparison, is roughly equal to buying 18 F-35s, the Pentagon’s most advanced fighter jet.
So on Wednesday, despite the president’s tweet three days earlier, FEMA was still weighing competing offers in order to make a recommendation to Mr. Kushner. And it seemed clear to several officials that the agency would have to select multiple manufacturers, in part to avoid the risk that one production line runs into technical troubles, or that its workers contract the very virus the ventilators are being built to defeat
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/us/p ... trump.html
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Boris Johnson has COVID-19.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

93henfan wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:02 am Boris Johnson has COVID-19.
Looking forward to the in-home shots of his hair after a few days.
If he didn't care about the look in public, the look at home ought to be really wild.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Scott Gottlieb, MD
@ScottGottliebMD
I’m worried about emerging situations in New Orleans, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, Detroit, Chicago, Philadelphia, among others. In China no province outside Hubei ever had more than 1,500 cases. In U.S. 11 states already hit that total. Our epidemic is likely to be national in scope

HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Does anyone believe numbers coming from China? :suspicious:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

HI54UNI wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:18 am Does anyone believe numbers coming from China? :suspicious:
No. Not unless they came up with a treatment and vaccine and are keeping it to themselves.
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

This guy is turning into what I at one time had wished & hoped that Trump could be.....a rational fact based person who has the country's best interest at heart. Needless to say.....my wishes and hopes were dashed long ago.
Go Black Bears!
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

HI54UNI wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:18 am Does anyone believe numbers coming from China? :suspicious:
I kind of do.

I'm sure it's still deflated, but it's much easier for a big-brother type of state to contain a virus than the US or Europe. They had an interview with some Chinese people on NPR this morning: "Oh we're used to lock downs, but it's nice finally seeing life get back to normal." :lol:

edit: One guy interviewed said everyday, his temperature was taken by soldiers leaving his apt. building, at a midway check-post walking to work, another time when he entered his office, and vice-versa. One person, SIX times, against their will, every...single...day.

Can you imagine that being implemented here?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:00 am
I kind of do.

I'm sure it's still deflated, but it's much easier for a big-brother type of state to contain a virus than the US or Europe. They had an interview with some Chinese people on NPR this morning: "Oh we're used to lock downs, but it's nice finally seeing life get back to normal." :lol:

edit: One guy interviewed said everyday, his temperature was taken by soldiers leaving his apt. building, at a midway check-post walking to work, another time when he entered his office, and vice-versa. One person, SIX times, against their will, every...single...day.

NPR is reporting cases of re-infection in China.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

I kind of do.

Wasn't the temperature thing debunked as being an indicator a while ago? Also asymptomatic folks could be spreading this thing well before a fever develops, no? Not sure what the temp gun readings are doing for anyone other than identifying folks who might be showing symptoms.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

More examples of "whoops".
I'm not really criticizing them. Just saying that many people got this wrong.
But you can't criticize others if you made similar mistakes. And if you weren't responsible in decision making at any point in this, you shouldn't criticize those that were after having today's knowledge. Timing is everything.

Watch the video and focus on the facts. As always, ignore the commentary.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/tucker-ca ... oronavirus
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:22 am
I kind of do.

Wasn't the temperature thing debunked as being an indicator a while ago? Also asymptomatic folks could be spreading this thing well before a fever develops, no? Not sure what the temp gun readings are doing for anyone other than identifying folks who might be showing symptoms.
And China is closing their borders and kicking out foreign journalists. That's typically the actions of a truthful and transparent government. :suspicious:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:16 am
I kind of do.

NPR is reporting cases of re-infection in China.
I have zero doubt people are still getting infected and they're not reporting it, but China's likely at the point where new cases can be easily isolated, traced back, etc. By all accounts (even from people on the ground), life is slowly getting back to normal.

In short, they've probably contained the virus with the strict lockdowns.
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: The Russian

Post by Vidav »

CAA Flagship wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:18 am
Looking forward to the in-home shots of his hair after a few days.
If he didn't care about the look in public, the look at home ought to be really wild.
He does it on purpose. A lot of his shtick is an act he uses so people underestimate him.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Alabama gonna Alabama...

:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Arizona gonna Arizona
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Crossed 100,000 mark
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Obviously hours old #s, but 626k tests done.
https://covidtracking.com/data/

I think a new law went into effect today that all test results have to be reported to the CDC. Don't know if that will make any difference for unreported negatives over the last 2-3 weeks. Bottom line should have over 1 million reported tested by early next week.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Shameful that Congress passed this by voice vote with no accountability. Kudos to Massie who at least attempted to force a roll call vote. A 2.2 trillion monstrousity (to put in context annual discretionary spending is 1.3 trillion) and the House on both sides wanted to do this by voice vote with no accountability? :suspicious: And fellow House members on both sides and Trump were wrong to criticize Massie for it. Throw the other 434 all out..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

Pwns wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:52 pm
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Go Black Bears!