Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Legit Concerns or Whiny Petulence?

Post by kalm »

Loads to unpack here with significant implications for trade, FP, and the elections.

America....WE’RE NUMBER........31?

Ok well at least top 40.

“Traditionally a leader in times of crisis, the U.S. is practicing self-isolation
Thu., March 26, 2020

By Liz Sly, Michael Birnbaum and Karen Deyoung
Washington Post

BEIRUT - As America’s rivals make gestures of support for other nations stricken by the coronavirus, the United States is losing its traditional leadership role abroad at the same moment that it’s struggling to contain the virus at home, analysts say.

At a time of crisis when the world would typically look to the richest and most powerful nation, the United States has instead retreated into its own form of self-isolation, with its president downplaying the severity of the threat and top American officials squabbling among themselves.

Instead, the United States’ rivals, notably China and to a lesser extent Russia, have been stepping up to offer aid to other stricken nations, a role long fulfilled by the United States in crises stretching back to World War II.”

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2020/ ... -the-us-i/
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: Legit Concerns or Whiny Petulence?

Post by Ivytalk »

Nobody claims that China is doing this foreign aid for altruistic reasons. The article itself points out that the Reds are seeking to “fill a vacuum” left by its chief rival, the USA.

That said, we’ve had enough China-bashing. The USA needs to take care of its own first, and, with all the cases on our hands and the lack of preparedness, that’s a tall order. If we can be reasonably certain of our own supply chain, at some point in the intermediate term we can shift our focus to what others need.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

I would like to bring forth the motion that in addition to discussing the linked article, with respect to the thread title, we also add the OP as an addendum to the same discussion. :coffee:

Also: *Petulance

Spoiler: show
My vote is more whiny than petulant. :kisswink: :D
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Legit Concerns or Whiny Petulence?

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:Loads to unpack here with significant implications for trade, FP, and the elections.

Ok well at least top 40.

“Traditionally a leader in times of crisis, the U.S. is practicing self-isolation
Thu., March 26, 2020

Washington Post

BEIRUT - As America’s rivals make gestures of support for other nations stricken by the coronavirus, the United States is losing its traditional leadership role abroad at the same moment that it’s struggling to contain the virus at home, analysts say.

At a time of crisis when the world would typically look to the richest and most powerful nation, the United States has instead retreated into its own form of self-isolation, with its president downplaying the severity of the threat and top American officials squabbling among themselves.

Instead, the United States’ rivals, notably China and to a lesser extent Russia, have been stepping up to offer aid to other stricken nations, a role long fulfilled by the United States in crises stretching back to World War II.”

What an asinine, pestilential set of assertions

Every country is dealing with this thing in its own way. And fick anyone who thinks the US should somehow be a world “leader” when our own people are infected and dying. Fuck them

This is a China influenced fluff piece - guaranteed / WaPo is only in second place behind the NYT when it comes to Beijing yuan

Shame on you, klam. You’re a Chinese mouthpiece for trying to lend any credibility to this charnel house dungpile piece of shit article

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:12 am
kalm wrote:Loads to unpack here with significant implications for trade, FP, and the elections.

Ok well at least top 40.

Thu., March 26, 2020

Washington Post

Every country is dealing with this thing in its own way. And fick anyone who thinks the US should somehow be a world “leader” when our own people are infected and dying. Fuck them

This is a China influenced fluff piece - guaranteed / WaPo is only in second place behind the NYT when it comes to Beijing yuan

Shame on you, klam. You’re a Chinese mouthpiece for trying to lend any credibility to this charnel house dungpile piece of shit article

:lol:

You’re the primary reason I posted it. I like smart opinions, and wondered if this might be the response.

Irregardless...it still raises some interesting questions, no?

;)
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

What Ivy said. Mine was along the same lines, his sounds a lot better.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:16 am

You’re the primary reason I posted it. I like smart opinions, and wondered if this might be the response.

;)
*regardless :roll:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Ok well at least top 40.

Thu., March 26, 2020

Washington Post

This.

Fuck China.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

;)
Goddamnit there's another one
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

They all look the same to me
Last edited by Chizzang on Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:37 am

This.

Fuck China.
Don't talk to your banker that way, you may be needing him fairly soon. :ohno:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Chizzang wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:48 am and yet
we willingly surrendered our manufacturing prowess and engineering advantages to China
for Wall Street

These chickens are still making their way home
:nod: It would be nice to see this change. If it ever were going to change, now (or in the very near future) would be the time to do so.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

houndawg wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:49 am

This.

Fuck China.
What do Joos have to do with this?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:32 am

;)
It’s CID’s #1...that’s why I did it...to annoy him, and also probably why he didn’t reply.

And also I used the wink emoji.

JFC, what a bunch of old turds.... :ohno:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:50 am
houndawg wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:49 am

What do Joos have to do with this?
lol.....that was pretty feeble...take more time and you'll
do a better job
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Ok well at least top 40.

Thu., March 26, 2020

Washington Post

The questions that haven't been asked ...

Why should the US take the lead on this? What has taking the lead gotten the US over the last 75 years? The US has, for the most part, made the world a better place but I think most of the world takes it for granted that the US and its taxpayers will help them out. Maybe it's time for the US to take a step back and for the rest of the world to find out about the real price of Chinese "benevolence".
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
TheDancinMonarch
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Old Dominion

Post by TheDancinMonarch »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:46 am

Why should the US take the lead on this? What has taking the lead gotten the US over the last 75 years? The US has, for the most part, made the world a better place but I think most of the world takes it for granted that the US and its taxpayers will help them out. Maybe it's time for the US to take a step back and for the rest of the world to find out about the real price of Chinese "benevolence".
HEAR! HEAR!
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:46 am

Great point! Strip aside the emotions and consider the long term ramifications of all this from a reasoned and logical perspective. This is EXACTLY the direction I hoped this discussion would go towards. :nod:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

This.

Fuck China.
Yep. Fuck China.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

The war on this virus will go on after we all go back about our business as usual, and I guaran-damn-tee you it'll be mostly American-developed tests, treatments, and vaccines that are used. We may not be able to manufacture jack schit but America is without a doubt the center of medical innovation. It for damn sure will not be Chinese crap we'll be using to contain the spread of the virus.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Pwns wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:28 am The war on this virus will go on after we all go back about our business as usual, and I guaran-damn-tee you it'll be mostly American-developed tests, treatments, and vaccines that are used. We may not be able to manufacture jack schit but America is without a doubt the center of medical innovation. It for damn sure will not be Chinese crap we'll be using to contain the spread of the virus.
Could be a European treatment that wins the race. There are a number of good Euro drug companies out there. Companies working on treatments are probably working on one or two treatments at most at a time within similar platforms. It's a shotgun start. Most will miss the target. Some will hit it at varying distances from the center.

Wild ass guess, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is a combination of drugs that become the standard of care. At least one of them probably already exists. And the others will be developed from existing drug designs with slight modifications. The trick is finding the right modifications and combining them with the right existing drugs.

It's all ball bearings.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:59 am
Ivytalk wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:32 am

It’s CID’s #1...that’s why I did it...to annoy him, and also probably why he didn’t reply.

Piss off. My initial response was reasoned and concise.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:41 pm
kalm wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:59 am

It was. That’s why I wasn’t replying to that one.

:coffee:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:01 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:41 pm

It was. That’s why I wasn’t replying to that one.

:coffee:
But I am not an old turd!!! :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

:mrgreen:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Pwns wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:28 am The war on this virus will go on after we all go back about our business as usual, and I guaran-damn-tee you it'll be mostly American-developed tests, treatments, and vaccines that are used. We may not be able to manufacture jack schit but America is without a doubt the center of medical innovation. It for damn sure will not be Chinese crap we'll be using to contain the spread of the virus.
Been reading on fringe sites the Chinese tests suck. Not sure if it's true yet, but if it is, that would already align with what you are saying.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz