Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Legit Concerns or Whiny Petulence?

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:04 pm
kalm wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:01 pm

It was. That’s why I wasn’t replying to that one.

:coffee:
But I am not an old turd!!! :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

:mrgreen:
Oh! Sorry about implying that. It was meant to be directed at all of you who corrected the irregardless quote.

You indeed are not old at all, Dennis! :mrgreen:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

CAA Flagship wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:26 pm
Pwns wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:28 am The war on this virus will go on after we all go back about our business as usual, and I guaran-damn-tee you it'll be mostly American-developed tests, treatments, and vaccines that are used. We may not be able to manufacture jack schit but America is without a doubt the center of medical innovation. It for damn sure will not be Chinese crap we'll be using to contain the spread of the virus.
Could be a European treatment that wins the race. There are a number of good Euro drug companies out there. Companies working on treatments are probably working on one or two treatments at most at a time within similar platforms. It's a shotgun start. Most will miss the target. Some will hit it at varying distances from the center.

Wild ass guess, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is a combination of drugs that become the standard of care. At least one of them probably already exists. And the others will be developed from existing drug designs with slight modifications. The trick is finding the right modifications and combining them with the right existing drugs.

It's all ball bearings.
It'll be the Joos.

An Israeli drug made possible for by US Aid, sold to Americans at a 1,000% mark-up

That, or Gilead, again with US research $$ and a 2,500% mark-up
:thumb:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

dbackjon wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:27 pm
CAA Flagship wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:26 pm
Could be a European treatment that wins the race. There are a number of good Euro drug companies out there. Companies working on treatments are probably working on one or two treatments at most at a time within similar platforms. It's a shotgun start. Most will miss the target. Some will hit it at varying distances from the center.

Wild ass guess, but it wouldn't surprise me if it is a combination of drugs that become the standard of care. At least one of them probably already exists. And the others will be developed from existing drug designs with slight modifications. The trick is finding the right modifications and combining them with the right existing drugs.

It's all ball bearings.
It'll be the Joos.

An Israeli drug made possible for by US Aid, sold to Americans at a 1,000% mark-up

An the Pharma's in the US in 2018 put nearly 80 billion into R&D. Every year numerous failed drugs for every successful one.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/265 ... -industry/
Without the obscene markups, what's going to pay for all the R&D? What country leads the world in developing new drugs?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:00 pm
dbackjon wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:27 pm
It'll be the Joos.

An the Pharma's in the US in 2018 put nearly 80 billion into R&D. Every year numerous failed drugs for every successful one.
Without the obscene markups, what's going to pay for all the R&D? What country leads the world in developing new drugs?
Question: How much does Pharma spend on advertising to the public and paying people to wine & dine doctors to encourage them to prescribe their medications?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:30 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:00 pm
Question: How much does Pharma spend on advertising to the public and paying people to wine & dine doctors to encourage them to prescribe their medications?
Next part of the chain: How much are the costs of malpractice claims that doctors face when they don't prescribe medicine that patients ask for?
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

It's understandable if a drug company goes under if their lead candidate does not pass the trials. But there are cases where drug companies cross the finish line with their lead candidate and still go out of business.

I watched this company closely because their drug was invented by a company I have been trading for the last 5 years.
Achaogen’s bankruptcy speaks to the larger challenges facing would-be antibiotics marketers. Even as antimicrobial resistance has emerged as a leading public health threat, drugmakers both big and small have exited the space due to unfavorable financial prospects.

Achaogen’s misstep was betting its future on a market it hoped would develop for its antibiotic Zemdri, approved by the Food and Drug Administration in June 2018. The company entered bankruptcy less than a year later despite multiple reductions to its workforce and R&D ambitions.

This July, the World Health Organization added Zemdri to its list of essential new medicines. The fact that its maker couldn’t stay in business raised alarms for some that innovation might wither without boosted benefits for antibiotic developers.

“Unless you take on the challenge in totality, you are going to fail,” said Mark Feinberg, CEO of the nonprofit International AIDS Vaccine Initiative, on a recent panel discussion on antibiotics. “We’ve seen this with the Achaogen example. They developed a product that addresses an important need and they went out of business.”

“Companies do want to address public health needs,” he added. “They just need a viable pathway to do it.”
https://www.biopharmadive.com/news/2019 ... st/567263/
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

UNI88 wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:12 am What an asinine, pestilential set of assertions

Every country is dealing with this thing in its own way. And fick anyone who thinks the US should somehow be a world “leader” when our own people are infected and dying. Fuck them

This is a China influenced fluff piece - guaranteed / WaPo is only in second place behind the NYT when it comes to Beijing yuan

Shame on you, klam. You’re a Chinese mouthpiece for trying to lend any credibility to this charnel house dungpile piece of shit article

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The questions that haven't been asked ...

Why should the US take the lead on this? What has taking the lead gotten the US over the last 75 years? The US has, for the most part, made the world a better place but I think most of the world takes it for granted that the US and its taxpayers will help them out. Maybe it's time for the US to take a step back and for the rest of the world to find out about the real price of Chinese "benevolence".
I’ve been saying this for years... I’ve even said it here

What the world desperately needs is a good taste of Chinese “leadership”... see what strings come attached

It is well nigh time for the US to stop collectively wringing its hands over a world without American “leadership”

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:01 pm
UNI88 wrote:
The questions that haven't been asked ...

Why should the US take the lead on this? What has taking the lead gotten the US over the last 75 years? The US has, for the most part, made the world a better place but I think most of the world takes it for granted that the US and its taxpayers will help them out. Maybe it's time for the US to take a step back and for the rest of the world to find out about the real price of Chinese "benevolence".
I’ve been saying this for years... I’ve even said it here

What the world desperately needs is a good taste of Chinese “leadership”... see what strings come attached

It is well nigh time for the US to stop collectively wringing its hands over a world without American “leadership”
Interesting...
In your scenario where America steps back
and Trump is a "step back" kind of guy as you implied when he was elected...
why is the 2020 defense bill $738 billion?

having a hard time figuring out what this "stepping back" looks like

https://www.defensenews.com/congress/20 ... -congress/
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:01 pm I’ve been saying this for years... I’ve even said it here

Interesting...

When I defend the spending of this regime then you can ask me about it

Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:40 pm
Chizzang wrote:
Interesting...

So because I referenced the defense budget...
the question of what "stepping back" from global policing looks like is no longer valid ?

:geek:

can we at least agree that you said Trump was a "step back" kind of guy..?
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Legit Concerns or Whiny Petulence?

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:40 pm

the question of what "stepping back" from global policing looks like is no longer valid ?

Actually, I think Trump is as statist as they come

When the checks are being signed quite frankly I think he’d be more comfy as a Democrat. Hell all he’d need to do is spend on “shovel ready” and stop with the wall and it’d be Jon and Jearf on here defending his lies

But that said, we get about 1/10th the bang for our buck on defense spending compared to China. I would actually be ok with defense spending that is actually about defense- so we don’t find ourselves in 1932 again

Note that I decided not to go down your rabbit hole of defense spending equals world police

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

kalm wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:16 am
CID1990 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:12 am
What an asinine, pestilential set of assertions

Every country is dealing with this thing in its own way. And fick anyone who thinks the US should somehow be a world “leader” when our own people are infected and dying. Fuck them

This is a China influenced fluff piece - guaranteed / WaPo is only in second place behind the NYT when it comes to Beijing yuan

Shame on you, klam. You’re a Chinese mouthpiece for trying to lend any credibility to this charnel house dungpile piece of shit article

:lol:

You’re the primary reason I posted it. I like smart opinions, and wondered if this might be the response.

Irregardless...it still raises some interesting questions, no?

;)
I seriously doubt the stuff about China influence on the Washington Post and the New York Times.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Otherwise: I don't think there is any doubt that our position with respect to world leadership has been diminished by virtue of having Trump as President. Now, we may be fine with that. One can argue that it's a good thing. But we've lost standing in terms of leadership.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:24 pm
Chizzang wrote:

Actually, I think Trump is as statist as they come

When the checks are being signed quite frankly I think he’d be more comfy as a Democrat. Hell all he’d need to do is spend on “shovel ready” and stop with the wall and it’d be Jon and Jearf on here defending his lies

But that said, we get about 1/10th the bang for our buck on defense spending compared to China. I would actually be ok with defense spending that is actually about defense- so we don’t find ourselves in 1932 again

Note that I decided not to go down your rabbit hole of defense spending equals world police
Well when he was an NYC real estate tycoon tweeting hatemail towards the inept Obama Administration
he'd get us out of Iraq - He'd get us out of Afghanistan - He'd get us out of NATO - He'd spend less - He'd fix everything - etc. etc.

You seem to have a better understanding of what he means when he uses words
I was hoping for some insight

mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

CID1990 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:24 pmHell all he’d need to do is spend on “shovel ready” and stop with the wall and it’d be Jon and Jearf on here defending his lies
I'll NEVER defend his lies! :tothehand:
Go Black Bears!
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:24 pm Actually, I think Trump is as statist as they come

Well when he was an NYC real estate tycoon tweeting hatemail towards the inept Obama Administration
he'd get us out of Iraq - He'd get us out of Afghanistan - He'd get us out of NATO - He'd spend less - He'd fix everything - etc. etc.

You seem to have a better understanding of what he means when he uses words
I was hoping for some insight

I’ve been beating the retrenchment drum long before Trump started waving his birther shit around

I never invoked Donald Trump here - you did

Barack Obama could still be President to this day and I would still be saying the same thing... America does NOT profit from playing at world “leader” in any venue