Political discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Coronavirus

Post by BDKJMU »

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

The Bill for Globalization has Arrived.

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2020- ... #read_more
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Pwns wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:07 am The Bill for Globalization has Arrived.

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2020- ... #read_more
Well this statement right here ended my quest to finish reading the rest of the article:
Even as China withholds vital medical supplies, he refuses to end our suicidal dependence on them.
:ohno: :ohno:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Minnesota just released the names of Long-term Care Facilities with at least 1 positive test for COVID-19. My In-laws are in one of the listed facilities. Hope they make it thru this. She's 88 and he's 93.
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: The Russian

Post by Vidav »

Missoula County just had its first COVID related death. We are all doomed.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

houndawg wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:18 am
UNI88 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:01 pm

Houndie creates his own herbal blend - a little bean, a little bud, a little ...
You should ty it - losening up a little wouldn't hurt you at all
*loosening :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Vidav wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:45 pm Missoula County just had its first COVID related death. We are all doomed.
:lol: :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:39 pm
Vidav wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:45 pm Missoula County just had its first COVID related death. We are all doomed.
:lol: :lol:
Bobcat fan? :chair:
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Well we'll need to check with Sean Hannity first
he said CVD-19 was just another deep state hoax like climate change

:geek:

which seems informed and reasonable
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Interesting to see how close this model gets as they update with new data. So far its drastically over its predictions in pretty much every state by a wide margin.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Using #s as of yesterday:
Why We Don’t Know How Many Americans Are Infected With Coronavirus—and Might Never Know
Sparse testing is just one reason the official tally is far too low, but the numbers will get more reliable over time

....Preliminary research by mathematical modelers in the Centre for the Mathematical Modelling of Infectious Diseases at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine found the U.S.’s case count likely represented just 14% to 19% of actual infections that produced symptoms....
https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-we-don ... 1586005200
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

SDHornet wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:59 pm

Interesting to see how close this model gets as they update with new data. So far its drastically over its predictions in pretty much every state by a wide margin.
It's interesting that they'd us the University of Washington Virology department model...

Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Chizzang wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:25 pm
SDHornet wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:59 pm

It's interesting that they'd us the University of Washington Virology department model...

Why wouldn't they use it. What do you have against the UW?
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:38 pm
Chizzang wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:25 pm

I haven't seen anyone that doesn't look at multiple models. Especially, JSO. (updates made with crayons on the wall)
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:02 pm Germany and France now bitching at the US over masks.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ge ... r-BB128L6l
You mean like how Trump and his cronies confiscated Masks intended for Massachusetts?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/27/ ... _Text_Link

And then MA had to do a secret mission to China to actually get some?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/02/ ... j-reports/
:thumb:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:40 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:38 pm

I haven't seen anyone that doesn't look at multiple models. Especially, JSO. (updates made with crayons on the wall)
Where are the rose tinted glasses models? I’m an optimist and I’d truly love to see them.
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

Perhaps I have missed this....why has the media continually added to the confirmed totals, but don't ever lower the numbers from those that have beat it or have died?
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

grizzaholic wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:57 pm Perhaps I have missed this....why has the media continually added to the confirmed totals, but don't ever lower the numbers from those that have beat it or have died?
I don't know but you can see that at the worldometer site. It's frequently updated but as of now it indicates that, in the United States, 8,452 have died while 14,741 have recovered. I think the situation will come to look a lot better than that because it also says that, as I type, there are 288,164 active cases and "only" 8,206 are "Serious,Critical." But it's still going to look pretty bad.

Right now, world wide, 79% of cases that have been "completed" are recoveries while 21% are deaths.

Now, let's also remember that these are confirmed cases. Confirmed cases means they've tested positive. There are a whole bunch of cases where people never get tested.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:07 pm
grizzaholic wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:57 pm Perhaps I have missed this....why has the media continually added to the confirmed totals, but don't ever lower the numbers from those that have beat it or have died?
I don't know but you can see that at the worldometer site. It's frequently updated but as of now it indicates that, in the United States, 8,452 have died while 14,741 have recovered. I think the situation will come to look a lot better than that because it also says that, as I type, there are 288,164 active cases and "only" 8,206 are "Serious,Critical." But it's still going to look pretty bad.

Right now, world wide, 79% of cases that have been "completed" are recoveries while 21% are deaths.

Now, let's also remember that these are confirmed cases. Confirmed cases means they've tested positive. There are a whole bunch of cases where people never get tested.
Yep. And recovered. We’re still learning.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Watching Trump again. I just shake my head at the fact that ANYBODY would vote for that buffoon to be President of the United States.

Very sad that we have a significant proportion of our population that would vote for somebody like that under ANY circumstances. Not a good sign for the future of the United States.

EXCEPT for the fact that the demographics are changing. I used to lament the fact that people in my demographic (old white guys) are a shrinking proportion of the population. Now I think that trend is the hope for saving this country. Old white guys have, over the past few years, shown that we do NOT want them controlling the future.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Now for why I came here: I am concerned that the CDC changed its recommendations on wearing masks due to political pressure rather than science. I've seen talking heads who had been pressing for this say the reason is that the information has changed. Specifically, they say we now know there can be asymptomatic infections that can spread the disease and that we now know the disease can be transmitted via aerosols.

But I have been following those things. It was known that asymptomatic infections could transmit since at least as early as February and it has been known that it could be transmitted in aerosols since at least as early as early March. This is not something that happened because the CDC suddenly got information that those things could happen. They already knew that. And they were already operating under the assumptions that the disease could be transmitted by asymptomatic infections as well as via aerosols.

My belief is that the CDC took the position it was taking because it judged that whatever would be gained by telling everyone to wear masks would be outweighed by what we be lost through behavioral changes.

This morning I went to a grocery store while wearing a home made mask for the first time. One thing I noticed immediately is that my glasses would fog when I exhaled. That means the mask was not containing the aerosols I was exhaling, I'm sure it was stopping some of it. But definitely not all.

That mask was made by my wife. She sewed it during an effort to provide home made masks to health care providers. I had another errand to run and she made me one created according to the Surgeon General's instructions. Again, my glasses fogged every time I exhaled. It was not containing aerosols.

This kind of thing, where you have public pressure to change a public health posture, always worries me. I have seen a number of instances before where I had direct knowledge of what was going on and things were done just because, regardless of what the data said, it became clear that pandering to public perception was necessary.

I do hope this is not one of those cases. But I suspect that it is.
Could I ever be a star?

mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

As long as Trump keeps having 3:45 Corona rallies Monday thru Friday to calm the markets....everything will be OK. :thumb:
Go Black Bears!
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

mainejeff wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:56 pm As long as Trump keeps having 3:45 Corona rallies Monday thru Friday to calm the markets....everything will be OK. :thumb:
What gets me is that we have about half the population that approves of the job Trump's been doing on this. I mean come ON. How obvious could it be that he's screwed up? We have stuff like him saying on February 26, "When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."

How obvious could it be, at THIS point, that he didn't get it?'

I guess it's fair to understand that most people don't follow things closely enough to know that he should have known his partial travel ban would not have much of an effect. But, I mean, we now have by far the most cases in the world. We are currently third in deaths and are rapidly overtaking the two countries (Italy and Spain) ahead of us. How could ANYONE think Trump has been doing a good job with this?

Again: Especially because it is so clear from his own statements over time that he completely under estimated the threat and got caught with his pants down.

It really is like a cult.
Could I ever be a star?

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

JSO, you mad bro?

You better get out and vote for Biden! He would have stopped this by St Patricks Day.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:34 pm Now for why I came here: I am concerned that the CDC changed its recommendations on wearing masks due to political pressure rather than science. I've seen talking heads who had been pressing for this say the reason is that the information has changed. Specifically, they say we now know there can be asymptomatic infections that can spread the disease and that we now know the disease can be transmitted via aerosols.

But I have been following those things. It was known that asymptomatic infections could transmit since at least as early as February and it has been known that it could be transmitted in aerosols since at least as early as early March. This is not something that happened because the CDC suddenly got information that those things could happen. They already knew that. And they were already operating under the assumptions that the disease could be transmitted by asymptomatic infections as well as via aerosols.

My belief is that the CDC took the position it was taking because it judged that whatever would be gained by telling everyone to wear masks would be outweighed by what we be lost through behavioral changes.

This morning I went to a grocery store while wearing a home made mask for the first time. One thing I noticed immediately is that my glasses would fog when I exhaled. That means the mask was not containing the aerosols I was exhaling, I'm sure it was stopping some of it. But definitely not all.

That mask was made by my wife. She sewed it during an effort to provide home made masks to health care providers. I had another errand to run and she made me one created according to the Surgeon General's instructions. Again, my glasses fogged every time I exhaled. It was not containing aerosols.

This kind of thing, where you have public pressure to change a public health posture, always worries me. I have seen a number of instances before where I had direct knowledge of what was going on and things were done just because, regardless of what the data said, it became clear that pandering to public perception was necessary.

I do hope this is not one of those cases. But I suspect that it is.
Dr tried to explain that the virus was originally thought to be airbourne thru coughing and sneezing. It's been found that the virus is lighter than previously thought. This means it can become airbourne from talking. When it becomes airbourne, it drops towards the ground in the first few feet. This is why the mask are suggested and the 6 foot rule.