Political memes, Posters, Funny Pics, Etc.

Political discussions
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Political memes, Posters, Funny Pics, Etc.

Post by 89Hen »

∞∞∞ wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:37 pm I think future historians are going to look back at 1950s to 2050's America and figure out how in one century, it slowly degraded and was surpassed by nations all over the world.
I think you're a drama queen. Let's call it even.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:06 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:37 pm I think future historians are going to look back at 1950s to 2050's America and figure out how in one century, it slowly degraded and was surpassed by nations all over the world.
I agree with you, 89, that’s hyperbole.

It’s more like 1980 through today. Perhaps we learn a little from our mistakes both personally and as a nation. Yes Who knows what tomorrow may bring.

:coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

∞∞∞ wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:37 pm ^Yeah but the rest of the world pays slightly more taxes and God forbid we have that over here, even though it actually ends up saving more money over someone's lifetime while simultaneously increasing quality of life.

I think future historians are going to look back at 1950s to 2050's America and figure out how in one century, it slowly degraded and was surpassed by nations all over the world. From the expansion of the military industrial complex to the worship of unfettered capitalism to the current grip of the conservative SCOTUS, it'll make a good case study. But with millennials and younger people today, I also have confidence they'll be studying how it shifted back to becoming one of the greatest nations on Earth in the latter half of the 21st century.
If we're going to analyze the meme, let's do it right.

Universal healthcare - Our current healthcare system definitely has flaws and I'm open to trying to fix it or find a better one. I don't think just adopting a Canadian or European system is the answer.

Free college - my opinion is that this will devalue the bachelor's degree and students will need to continue on to graduate school. This just delays their entry into the labor market. Before you argue that such-and-such a country does it and their basic college degree isn't devalued, let me ask - how does such-and-such country handle education from primary school through college? Do they identify the students with the aptitude for college much earlier (probably around 11-14 years old) and put them on that kind of track while putting other students on a more vocational track? This limits the cost because you have a smaller number of people who qualify for "free college" and it makes college much more exclusive, avoiding the devaluation. Does "free college" include a move to this type of education system?

Paid vacations - how many people don't have paid vacations and who is providing the money to give it to them? Most people on salary have paid vacations and while union members don't officially have paid vacations, it is usually built into their hourly rate. People who don't have paid vacations are probably those doing more menial, less valuable tasks. Will this be a positive or will it cause those employers to reduce staff and automate, reducing employment opportunities? Let's try to consider the potential unintended consequences.

Paid maternity leave - how many people don't have paid maternity leave? My response is similar to paid vacations,

Multiple political parties - I'm a small L libertarian and would love to see more options. I absolutely do not want a parliamentary system though.

I'm all for shrinking the military-industrial complex but Republicans and Democrats in Congress are opposed because of the pork it brings to their districts. Let's bring our troops home from the Middle East, Central Asia, Europe, South Korea, etc. If anyone wants them to stay then they can reimburse us for the cost. Let's charge the UN for our Navy patrolling the seas and making them safe for travel and trade. If they've truly passed us by then it's time for them to cover their defense rather than depending on our largesse. We can put the money we save toward social programs.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:34 am
89Hen wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:06 am

It’s more like 1980 through today. Perhaps we learn a little from our mistakes both personally and as a nation. Yes Who knows what tomorrow may bring.

Yup, our country really sucks. Maybe you should leave.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:34 am
kalm wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:34 am

So it’s like FCS? :lol:

Trip didn’t say it sucks. He said it’s been degraded and suggests it will be passed by in the next 30 years by other countries. While perhaps hyperbolic, there’s definitely some truth and possibility there.

I’m staying because I love America and want to see it improve. Perhaps those who disagree, and are lacking healthy introspection should be the one’s leaving?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:51 am

Trip didn’t say it sucks. He said it’s been degraded and suggests it will be passed by in the next 30 years by other countries. While perhaps hyperbolic, there’s definitely some truth and possibility there.

I’m staying because I love America and want to see it improve. Perhaps those who disagree, and are lacking healthy introspection should be the one’s leaving?
Trip hasn't said it directly but he has implied that it sucks.

Why is it reasonable to suggest that he leave:
  • The changes he advocates for go against the very foundation of America.
  • He's willing to risk destroying the country to bring about the changes he wants.
  • He doesn't want to take responsibility for any violence that might occur.
  • There are other countries that are much closer to his ideal that won't require any of the above.
Essentially he wants to turn Manhattan into farmland rather than move to Iowa.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:34 am

• He's willing to risk destroying the country to bring about the changes he wants.
  • There are other countries that are much closer to his ideal that won't require any of the above.
You don’t start negotiations at the point which you want to end. The founders did this too.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:11 pm

You don’t start negotiations at the point which you want to end. The founders did this too.
The founders were willing to compromise for the good of the nation. Trip disdains the founders and like extremists on both sides, thinks his vision is the correct path and that there should be no deviation.

I don't think Trip is a bad person. I would love to have a beer with him and debate politics. I am willing to listen to his ideas but I'm not sure he's willing to listen to mine.
Last edited by UNI88 on Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

And you say it's already degraded. Why would I leave if I think it's a great place? C'mon kalm, you've really turned into something you weren't. It sucks to see you turn into such a pile of mush.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

:nod: :nod: :nod:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:42 pm

And you say it's already degraded. Why would I leave if I think it's a great place? C'mon kalm, you've really turned into something you weren't. It sucks to see you turn into such a pile of mush.
Yes, we have degraded in many ways over the course of my 49 years. We are self absorbed, greedy, and tribalistic to a fault. Perhaps we’ve always been but it seems like the current crisis has put that on display more. Our disregard for reason, logic, science, and working class stability is also problematic.

But we have improved in other ways and I’m hopeful we are learning some cultural/political lessons as well as reprioritizing what matters through this.

Evolve or die.

It is still a great place. Trip also didn’t say it wasn’t in his post that UNI replied to.

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:24 pm
kalm wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:11 pm

The founders were willing to compromise for the good of the nation. Trip disdains the founders and like extremists on both sides, thinks his vision is the correct path and that there should be no deviation.

I don't think Trip is a bad person. I would love to have a beer with him and debate politics. I am willing to listen to his ideas but I'm not sure he's willing to listen to mine.
I have all the confidence in the world he would. I will also remind you that the founders were extremists to some.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

"Make America Great Again" implies America is no longer great, no?
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:13 pm "Make America Great Again" implies America is no longer great, no?
Yes it does and I don't like that slogan because of that.

Of course, America could still be good and good > sucks.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:57 pm

I have all the confidence in the world he would. I will also remind you that the founders were extremists to some.
Maybe he would but when I bring an opposing view backed by my experience and logic he tends to disappear and leaves you to fight his battle by proxy and when he gets called on it, states that he has a life, yadda, yadda but avoids addressing the arguments against his ideas.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Speaking of Trip, his group refuses to endorse Biden. Apparently Sanders wasn’t even left enough, or barely, for them.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/democr ... ndorsement
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:55 pm We are self absorbed, greedy, and tribalistic to a fault. Perhaps we’ve always been but it seems like the current crisis has put that on display more.
How so? I've seen more unity than I have in years kalm. Again, perhaps it's you that lost sense of reason. Trump has turned reasoned folks into irrational ones. Same can be said for this crisis and what almost now seems like the impending reelection of Trump.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

And here we are putting Trip on the same level as the FF. :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:37 pm

And here we are putting Trip on the same level as the FF. :lol:
Who’s this we were talking about? :suspicious:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:36 pm
kalm wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:55 pm We are self absorbed, greedy, and tribalistic to a fault. Perhaps we’ve always been but it seems like the current crisis has put that on display more.
How so? I've seen more unity than I have in years kalm. Again, perhaps it's you that lost sense of reason. Trump has turned reasoned folks into irrational ones. Same can be said for this crisis and what almost now seems like the impending reelection of Trump.
Your social media feed and friends are obviously different from mine.

I see unity too and I’m hoping that wins the day.

Then there’s the nature of protecting established wealth which is a whole other story.

What percentage of people already realize we will never return to normal? Many of those who don’t are still in the losing their shit stage. They will have to be let down gently or beaten over the head with a figurative 2 x 4 until they understand.

If you don’t recognize that, you’re in a pretty thick bubble.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:07 pm
89Hen wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:36 pm

Then there’s the nature of protecting established wealth which is a whole other story.

What percentage of people already realize we will never return to normal? Many of those who don’t are still in the losing their shit stage. They will have to be let down gently or beaten over the head with a figurative 2 x 4 until they understand.

What is your normal? So are you saying we’re never again reopen all types of businesses that were closed, and never again fill restaurants, bars, theaters, churches, stadiums, arenas, trains, planes, etc?

My prediction is will be a big increase in working from home, online/distance learning, and ordering shit online, combined with a decrease in business travel. But all the prior above listed be back “to normal”, or very close, by next year.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:21 pm
kalm wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:07 pm

What is your normal? So are you saying we’re never again reopen all types of businesses that were closed, and never again fill restaurants, bars, theaters, churches, stadiums, arenas, trains, planes, etc?

My prediction is will be a big increase in working from home, online/distance learning, and ordering shit online, combined with a decrease in business travel. But all the prior above listed be back “to normal”, or very close, by next year.
I hope by next year as well. But that time frame alone will reshape those industries and diminish independent businesses. Pent up demand will help for sure and new indie alternatives will sprout up but there’s still a ton of uncertainty regarding duration of shutdowns and the hot spots flaring back up followed further by renewed isolation strategies based on at-risk populations and regional outbreaks. Rinse and repeat until a viable anti-viral drug and/or vaccine is in play.

I also see the potential for a reduced school week in classrooms. Service industries to education along with Commercial real estate is probably going to take a huge hit.

It’s not all bad though if you can replace those demands with things like broadband infrastructure projects and software development. Plus...the carbon footprint could be reduced as a result.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Chizzang wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:32 pm Image
:lol:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »