Football Championship Subdivision discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Fall FCS?

Post by kalm »

Some interesting challenges for sure. The big concern is the potential revenue loss from money games and home games sans crowds.
Big Sky Conference commissioner Tom Wistrcill is like every athletic administrator parsing through the what-ifs and why-nots. The NCAA canceled the last part of winter sports as well as all spring competition at the end of March, and every league is now drawing up contingency plans for restoration.

The giant elephant on campus, of course, is the Football Question.

On one positive note, Wistrcill isn’t buying any doomsday scenarios; he is confident college football will be played in the fall. But to what degree, he’s not sure

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... ssion=true
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Fall FCS?

Post by GannonFan »

I think the money issue is real for the FBS schools, but how many schools in FCS even make an actual profit off of any of their sports? NDSU, Montana, maybe JMU? That's it, right? For FCS, not playing football won't be as big of a financial deal as it would be for the big FBS schools. There's no tv contracts, there's no huge gate revenue, and so on. FCS football barely breaks even, and most of the time doesn't even do that. Not playing a season could actually be less of a money loser than playing it. It's more of an issue about perception/good feeling than money.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:18 am I think the money issue is real for the FBS schools, but how many schools in FCS even make an actual profit off of any of their sports? NDSU, Montana, maybe JMU? That's it, right? For FCS, not playing football won't be as big of a financial deal as it would be for the big FBS schools. There's no tv contracts, there's no huge gate revenue, and so on. FCS football barely breaks even, and most of the time doesn't even do that. Not playing a season could actually be less of a money loser than playing it. It's more of an issue about perception/good feeling than money.
Correct. Obviously the larger the attendance and fan base, the larger the hit. By big concern, I meant how the revenue loss would prevent a season from even being possible. For example, Our game with Florida literally pays for things like chartered flights that same season. 8 of our conference foes are not bus trips.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Hell, The Citadel will probably save money

Too bad we can’t play that clempson game though

I liked our chances

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

CID1990 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:38 am Hell, The Citadel will probably save money

I liked our chances

Oregon game would have been big for us, $650,000 payday.
SACCAT
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by SACCAT »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:18 am I think the money issue is real for the FBS schools, but how many schools in FCS even make an actual profit off of any of their sports? NDSU, Montana, maybe JMU? That's it, right? For FCS, not playing football won't be as big of a financial deal as it would be for the big FBS schools. There's no tv contracts, there's no huge gate revenue, and so on. FCS football barely breaks even, and most of the time doesn't even do that. Not playing a season could actually be less of a money loser than playing it. It's more of an issue about perception/good feeling than money.
Montana State makes money as well...
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

I don't think this saves any money as the schools will still have to cover coaching and staff salaries and scholarships. So some travel dollars are save, big whoop. Schools also lose out on donations tied to season ticket purchases. Granted its not as much money as the P5, but its still some lost revenue.

If the P5 plays FB, everyone else will.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Gil Dobie wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:38 am Hell, The Citadel will probably save money

I liked our chances

Im sad this game won’t happen

I was looking forward to OU 35 NDSU 10

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

CID1990 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:34 am
Gil Dobie wrote:

Not so fast my friend. We had a chance. Oregon fans were not very interested in this game, so there may not have been a big crowd advantage. Sounded like half of North Dakota wanted to go to this game. Nice road trip to the West Coast. They won't over-take the stadium, but there would have been a presence. The Bison defense would have a big hole with Jabril Cox going to LSU. It would have been interesting to see Trey Lance against the Oregon defense. I think we would show stronger than most people think.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:14 am
CID1990 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:34 am

Not so fast my friend. We had a chance. Oregon fans were not very interested in this game, so there may not have been a big crowd advantage. Sounded like half of North Dakota wanted to go to this game. Nice road trip to the West Coast. They won't over-take the stadium, but there would have been a presence. The Bison defense would have a big hole with Jabril Cox going to LSU. It would have been interesting to see Trey Lance against the Oregon defense. I think we would show stronger than most people think.
Bison had a punchers chance but their odds weren't as good without Cox. And you could sprinkle a little cayenne pepper on Lance, Kayvon Thibodeaux was going to eat him up.

I think it would have ended up being more like the Alabama/Georgia Southern game, 45-21.

Mario Cristobal is building a west coast version of Alabama at Oregon.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:49 am

Bison had a punchers chance but their odds weren't as good without Cox. And you could sprinkle a little cayenne pepper on Lance, Kayvon Thibodeaux was going to eat him up.

I think it would have ended up being more like the Alabama/Georgia Southern game, 45-21.

It's usually the FBS fans throwing out scores like this first Minnesota, then Kansas St, and finally Iowa. Would have been great to play that game with Oregon.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:06 am

It's usually the FBS fans throwing out scores like this first Minnesota, then Kansas St, and finally Iowa. Would have been great to play that game with Oregon.
Gil, I'm not discounting NDSU. I've been telling Oregon fans not to overlook the Bison since I've been here. I was hoping to score a ticket to the game from some Duck fan who didn't think it was worth going.

Thibodeaux is a younger, much better Elerson Smith and Smith is a heckuva football player.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

The thing is, though, the Rubber Duckies are not Minnesota, K-State or Iowa. Similar to the Montana game this year, the Duckies would have kept it pretty much vanilla unless the Bison hung around. Maybe a game for the first half, but I hate to say that the Duckies are just too good.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JALMOND wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:12 pm

The thing is, though, the Rubber Duckies are not Minnesota, K-State or Iowa. Similar to the Montana game this year, the Duckies would have kept it pretty much vanilla unless the Bison hung around. Maybe a game for the first half, but I hate to say that the Duckies are just too good.
We saw how good Montana St was in the playoffs last year, and they also beat Montana pretty easily. Sagarin had Arizona St ranked 37 beat Oregon last year, why wouldn't the team ranked 31 have a chance to beat Oregon. NDSU has a lot of starters returning on offense with a few holes to plug on defense. Oregon would have had a new QB, playing in his first game. It's pretty fucking obvious the Ducks are not Minnesota, but NDSU is not Montana either.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Oregon is not Alabama at this point, plus a new QB coming into his first game.

Thibodeaux would probably chase Lance early. Most FBS schools we have played, state that they were surprised by NDSU's strength in the 4th quarter. To a team, they said their team was tired in that last quarter.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:05 pm
JALMOND wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:12 pm

We saw how good Montana St was in the playoffs last year, and they also beat Montana pretty easily. Sagarin had Arizona St ranked 37 beat Oregon last year, why wouldn't the team ranked 31 have a chance to beat Oregon. NDSU has a lot of starters returning on offense with a few holes to plug on defense. Oregon would have had a new QB, playing in his first game. It's pretty fucking obvious the Ducks are not Minnesota, but NDSU is not Montana either.
The ASU game was on the road. Play the Ducks in Fargo and I think you have a better chance.

Having been forced to watch the Ducks for some time, I can tell you that the team that showed up against the Griz was not the same team that played the rest of the games, including said ASU game. The Ducks were careful to show only as much as they needed to win the game.

I can also add this, nothing would have pleased me more than watching NDSU taking the Rubber Duckies down a peg. But the realist in me could not see it happening.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

JALMOND wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:12 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:05 pm
The ASU game was on the road. Play the Ducks in Fargo and I think you have a better chance.

Having been forced to watch the Ducks for some time, I can tell you that the team that showed up against the Griz was not the same team that played the rest of the games, including said ASU game. The Ducks were careful to show only as much as they needed to win the game.

I can also add this, nothing would have pleased me more than watching NDSU taking the Rubber Duckies down a peg. But the realist in me could not see it happening.
The Bison have a chance. Oregon might not be Minnesota or K State but they're not that much better than Iowa. Iowa is a perennial top 20 team and Oregon is on their way to being a perennial top 10 team. NDSU beating Oregon is a taller order than beating Minnesota, K State or Iowa but it's not impossible.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

At the risk of turning this thread into a NDSU/Oregon thread, on his radio show, OLive columnist John Canzano was talking with the Pac-12 analyst for the San Jose Mercury News. Both said they were "intrigued" by the NDSU/Ducks matchup and, being that the first week is "in jeopardy" of not being played, it would be a "travesty" if the game was cancelled. Both think NDSU is a good test for the Ducks in Week 1.

Sounds like the Portland media and the Pac-12 media both know who NDSU is. The ultimate question, however, is do the Ducks know?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JALMOND wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:49 pm At the risk of turning this thread into a NDSU/Oregon thread, on his radio show, OLive columnist John Canzano was talking with the Pac-12 analyst for the San Jose Mercury News. Both said they were "intrigued" by the NDSU/Ducks matchup and, being that the first week is "in jeopardy" of not being played, it would be a "travesty" if the game was cancelled. Both think NDSU is a good test for the Ducks in Week 1.

Sounds like the Portland media and the Pac-12 media both know who NDSU is. The ultimate question, however, is do the Ducks know?
If they play it will be without fans.
catbooster
Level2
Level2

Post by catbooster »

Last week MSU announced they are starting school a few weeks early (on campus) so that the semester is done by Thanksgiving break. Students won't come back until after Christmas break and the semester will be done before the worst of flu season.

Will be interesting to see what happens to football, but it seems they are planning for it to happen in some form. All plans subject to change.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

catbooster wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:36 pm Last week MSU announced they are starting school a few weeks early (on campus) so that the semester is done by Thanksgiving break. Students won't come back until after Christmas break and the semester will be done before the worst of flu season.

Will be interesting to see what happens to football, but it seems they are planning for it to happen in some form. All plans subject to change.
Bobcats are in the same predicament regarding the PSU game as NDSU is with Oregon. Right now, the game is scheduled to be played, but with no fans in attendance.

Bobcats may have a problem not seeing fans in the stands, but we are sort of used to it. :D
catbooster
Level2
Level2

Post by catbooster »

Yeah, that will disappoint a lot of people. PSU seems to be one of the more popular places to go to an away game.

But that would be better than not having a game.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Yesterday's podcast from Portland's Bald Faced Truth show with John Canzano and his interview with Mike McFeely, Fargo Forum and NDSU writer.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/b ... 0475878094
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

San Diego State AD publicly stated they expect to play this season. They open the season against Sac State and I've heard that game is expected to be played on the originally scheduled date of Sept 5th. I've heard the only thing we are trying to figure out is if fans will be allowed at home games, and if so, how that will be handled. We have a 21k capacity stadium so I think there will be people allowed in person in some capacity.

Game on bitches. :coffee:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

I could certainly see fans being allowed into games, albeit at a lower amount than normal. Ohio State is talking about having 20k-25k fans in their almost 100k stadium. I think they could even upcharge those seats and sell them at a premium and they'd sell out in seconds.

For FCS, most schools already draw at far under their stadium's capacity. They could just let people in as per normal in most places (i.e. not NDSU or JMU or Montana) and the social distancing is already being observed.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation