Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Re: 2020 Democratic Nomination Process Mega-thread

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:25 pm
houndawg wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:12 pm

Beaucoup. He needs Obama size turnout in Florida - a must-win state for Trump
Sounds like Team Brown is more important to him than Team Black.
Without team Black in NC he's sitting home drooling in his porridge right now. That had to have cost him a black VP.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:25 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:25 pm
Sounds like Team Brown is more important to him than Team Black.
Without team Black in NC he's sitting home drooling in his porridge right now. That had to have cost him a black VP.
Sure if he's focused on winning the popular vote. Team Black is already in his corner. He's almost an honorary African American like Bill Clinton. A black VP will improve his vote totals most in states he's already likely to win. He needs a VP that will deliver votes in swing states.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:29 pm

Sure if he's focused on winning the popular vote. Team Black is already in his corner. He's almost an honorary African American like Bill Clinton. A black VP will improve his vote totals most in states he's already likely to win. He needs a VP that will deliver votes in swing states.
UNI's correct here, no point following Hillary down that rabbit hole. We still elect Presidents via the electoral college, Biden has to do something about Wisconsin, Michigan, and/or PA to win this thing. The Michigan governor would've been a nice pick before COVID, but she's likely damaged goods now. No prize for winning the popular vote other than the bumper sticker you can get custom printed up that you won the popular vote.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI's correct here, no point following Hillary down that rabbit hole. We still elect Presidents via the electoral college, Biden has to do something about Wisconsin, Michigan, and/or PA to win this thing. The Michigan governor would've been a nice pick before COVID, but she's likely damaged goods now. No prize for winning the popular vote other than the bumper sticker you can get custom printed up that you won the popular vote.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:28 am
That's where Klobuchar makes an interesting candidate. She's a woman who should have appeal in swing states and she won't be seen as too green to take over when it's time. I don't think Biden has a viable VP candidate who checks all of the boxes (woman, minority, swing states, able to take over when he's incapacitated) so he's better off choosing someone who checks the ones critical to his election.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:34 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:28 am

That's where Klobuchar makes an interesting candidate. She's a woman who should have appeal in swing states and she won't be seen as too green to take over when it's time. I don't think Biden has a viable VP candidate who checks all of the boxes (woman, minority, swing states, able to take over when he's incapacitated) so he's better off choosing someone who checks the ones critical to his election.
I like her and I agree, you need someone who can help with the swing states. Kamala Harris is good but doesn't help with the swing states. I wonder about the Cortez Matzo person, the senator from Nevada, and whether that would be somewhere they could go and still get the swing states. And would Arizona come into play then? The Dems need to flip 2-3 states, depending on the states, from 2016 to win. Even if you flip Wisconsin and Michigan it's still not enough, and those aren't locks to flip anyway. I'm not convinced Biden can win PA either. The VP is going to have to do some heavy lifting for the Dems this time around.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Unread post by Skjellyfetti » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:08 am

Found this interesting.

Knew if Warren was chosen, Democrats would risk losing a Senate seat temporarily since the MA Gov is a Republican.

Thought I'd check on Minnesota... assumed it was a Democrat, but wasn't sure. Had no idea the MN governor was a member of the Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party. Never heard of it. If Klobuchar were nominated, would we have a Democratic-Famer-Labor Senator? I'm sure they'd caucus with the Democrats, so probably doesn't matter. Just interesting.
Amy Klobuchar is also a member of the DFL also. The Minnesota DFL is an affiliate of the Democratic Party.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Yeah, I deleted that post after reading more about it. Had never heard of it before. It's kinda weird. Fuckin libtards.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:10 am

I like her and I agree, you need someone who can help with the swing states. Kamala Harris is good but doesn't help with the swing states. I wonder about the Cortez Matzo person, the senator from Nevada, and whether that would be somewhere they could go and still get the swing states. And would Arizona come into play then? The Dems need to flip 2-3 states, depending on the states, from 2016 to win. Even if you flip Wisconsin and Michigan it's still not enough, and those aren't locks to flip anyway. I'm not convinced Biden can win PA either. The VP is going to have to do some heavy lifting for the Dems this time around.
Cortez-Matzo? A Hispanic Joo? :?
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:18 am Yeah, I deleted that post after reading more about it. Had never heard of it before. It's kinda weird. Fuckin libtards.
Why is Minnesota’s Democratic Party called the DFL?
In a unification born more from necessity than alignment, Democrats and the Farmer-Labor Party merged on April 15, 1944, in order to present a united front against Nazi Germany during World War II, creating the Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party.
During the merger negotiations, the Democrats agreed to combine the party names because of the Farmer-Labor Party’s popularity in the state, said Jules Goldstein, a DFL state director.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

I wonder about someone like her. Could she help flip Arizona? Would a western Team Brown member help flip Florida?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:36 am

I wonder about someone like her. Could she help flip Arizona? Would a western Team Brown member help flip Florida?
Klobuchar is perfect. She's a raging, screaming lunatic to her staff, throws shit when she gets angry....she's perfect!
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:43 am
UNI88 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:36 am
Klobuchar is perfect. She's a raging, screaming lunatic to her staff, throws shit when she gets angry....she's perfect!
Can the Democratic Party have too many female versions of Trump?
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Do I detect uncomfortable squirming in this response?

Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Is Hillary positioning herself to be the Democratic nominee???
One idea has been to convince Biden to step aside in favor of the very popular Michelle Obama, seen as a sure bet to beat Trump. So far, though, the former first lady has reportedly rebuffed all invitations to enter the fray.

That leaves Hillary Clinton. Biden could choose Clinton as his running mate, and then step down before the election and allow Hillary to run in his place.

Clinton is the only VP candidate who would be able to pull off such a last-minute switch. She has the team, the resources and the experience to be the nominee; Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), former Georgia state Rep. Stacey Abrams and Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) do not

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/49 ... e-call?amp

Another replacement for Uncle Joe that some Democrats are pushing is Michele Obama...but she has so far told them she’s not interested...

Hillary is hideously polarizing, but she would be a more forceful nominee than Biden, has enormous name recognition and, perhaps most important, can begin and end a sentence without major detours. And, she has not been credibly accused of sexual assault
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Col Hogan wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:45 pm Is Hillary positioning herself to be the Democratic nominee???
One idea has been to convince Biden to step aside in favor of the very popular Michelle Obama, seen as a sure bet to beat Trump. So far, though, the former first lady has reportedly rebuffed all invitations to enter the fray.

That leaves Hillary Clinton. Biden could choose Clinton as his running mate, and then step down before the election and allow Hillary to run in his place.

Clinton is the only VP candidate who would be able to pull off such a last-minute switch. She has the team, the resources and the experience to be the nominee; Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), former Georgia state Rep. Stacey Abrams and Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) do not

Another replacement for Uncle Joe that some Democrats are pushing is Michele Obama...but she has so far told them she’s not interested...

Hillary is hideously polarizing, but she would be a more forceful nominee than Biden, has enormous name recognition and, perhaps most important, can begin and end a sentence without major detours. And, she has not been credibly accused of sexual assault
I'd actually be in favor of Michelle Obama - I'd vote for that given the alternatives. It could certainly backfire but I'd be willing to roll the dice with that.

Why can't the Dems ever move away from Hillary? She's like some demented albatross on the party. Move on already. She's old, even though she didn't sexually assault anyone she ran cover for a guy who did in order to use that to advance her political ambitions, she's as corrupt as the day is long, and people really, really don't like her (for many of those reasons). There are better alternatives out there.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Chizzang wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:44 am
CID1990 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:51 am
I don’t think wealthy Dems are being made fun of because of their wealth

They are being made fun of because they are hypocrites ... if you want all the peons to be monks then you need to be a bit monastic yourself

leadership means leading by example and 99.9% of all politicians do not understand that at all. But we keep electing them so I guess its ok
Ultimately it would take an uber-wealthy Liberal to fix our taxation loophole (slash} revenue vs. expenditure problems
but it will never happen because the Billionaire Liberals that actually speak freely about the loopholes and the proper fixes
have no interest in facing "The mob"

Sam Harris podcast interviewed a few last month
its absolutely fascinating - they speak of the conservative billionaires as those who seek to bankrupt the world in their endeavors
to gain more and more - and they themselves would like to see change but know any attempt to change and they would be hung in the street
How cool would it be to see the Waltons and say Betsy DeVos swinging from a bridge on fire like those mercenaries in Iraq?
:dance:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:05 am
Col Hogan wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:45 pm Is Hillary positioning herself to be the Democratic nominee???

I'd actually be in favor of Michelle Obama - I'd vote for that given the alternatives. It could certainly backfire but I'd be willing to roll the dice with that.

Why can't the Dems ever move away from Hillary? She's like some demented albatross on the party. Move on already. She's old, even though she didn't sexually assault anyone she ran cover for a guy who did in order to use that to advance her political ambitions, she's as corrupt as the day is long, and people really, really don't like her (for many of those reasons). There are better alternatives out there.
If she were running she'd be the only one in the race on either side that could say that. :coffee:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

He owes Team Black and especially the Senator from NC (Clyburn?) a black VP. :nod:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:22 am
He owes Team Black and especially the Senator from NC (Clyburn?) a black VP. :nod:
NC did turn his candidacy around. So you think there was a backroom deal?

Maybe he only gave Clyburn a donut and something else.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:20 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:05 am

If she were running she'd be the only one in the race on either side that could say that. :coffee:
Are you sure? Wouldn't it be rich if Huma Abedin came forward with allegations?
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

I think that it is time that we talk about Presidential candidates "sexually assaulting" women. :nod:

:coffee:
Go Black Bears!
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

UNI88 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:39 am
houndawg wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:22 am

*SC

And Jim Clyburn is a Congressman
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Ivytalk wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:31 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:39 am

*SC

Good catch. I should have known better than to just respond to Houndy's post. SC was the first southren primary and the one that turned Biden's campaign around.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

UNI88 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:37 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:31 pm

*SC

Good catch. I should have known better than to just respond to Houndy's post. SC was the first southren primary and the one that turned Biden's campaign around.
Houndy is a trickster. Have to watch him every minute.