What will happen with the 2020 college football season?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
BlackFalkin
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: EASTERN WASHINGTON

Re: Possibility of 2020 season being cancelled?

Post by BlackFalkin »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:52 pm Shutting down the NCAA tourney is one thing, but I don't think the Notre Dame's, Texas', and Alabama's of the world will go a season without their University's cash cow. We'll see how this plays out.
Agreed 100%. I don’t think the NFL will be willing to take said loss either.
EWU FOOTBALL 2004|2005|2010|2012|2013|2014|2016|2018|BigSky Champions
EASTERN WASHINGTON|2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: What will happen with the 2020 college football season?

Post by JohnStOnge »

I am wondering if McNeese can get away with not missing anything by virtue of having post season play eliminated for the 2020 season due to the APR thing. I am wondering if it'll end up where the 2020 college football season is cancelled anyway then McNeese can get eligible for the 2021 season.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

SDHornet wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:12 pm P5 drives the Div I bus, and frankly, the entire NCAA sports bus. Whatever P5s will do, G5s will do, which I-AA will do, which Div II and III will do. From last week, rather lengthy SI article: https://www.si.com/college/2020/04/08/c ... oronavirus

Me thinks that sometime between Sept and Feb, college football is going to have its opening weekend...
Would be a boon for heavy run offenses the longer the season is pushed back into winter.

And I figured the dollars FB brings in would ensure a FB season would happen eventually. Thank you capitalism!
Conventional wisdom in Charleston is that our heat and humidity are a 12th man for us

But Ive only thought that applied if we were playing schools that don’t experience summer heat in September

It doesnt get cold enough in the south to affect passing or running attacks one way or the other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Will the SEC Play Football Alone? Commissioner Sankey isn't ruling it out
https://www.si.com/.amp-olemiss/college ... ball-alone
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:50 pm Will the SEC Play Football Alone? Commissioner Sankey isn't ruling it out
That'll just feed into the SEC's narrative that they're the only ones playing real college football anyway. TV ratings will be through the roof if they do play while everyone is shut down. Just like Amazon and Walmart making out like bandits during this pandemic (while all the smaller chains and stores are closed), the SEC could do the same thing to college football. The rich get richer.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:58 am
BDKJMU wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:50 pm Will the SEC Play Football Alone? Commissioner Sankey isn't ruling it out
That'll just feed into the SEC's narrative that they're the only ones playing real college football anyway. TV ratings will be through the roof if they do play while everyone is shut down. Just like Amazon and Walmart making out like bandits during this pandemic (while all the smaller chains and stores are closed), the SEC could do the same thing to college football. The rich get richer.
Well, they do have a point..
2005 Texas
2006 Florida
2007 LSU
2008 Florida
2009 Alabama
2010 Auburn
2011 Alabama
2012 Alabama

2013 FSU
2014 Ohio St
2015 Alabama
2016 Clemson
2017 Alabama
2018 Clemson
2019 LSU

10 of last 14 Nat Champs from the SEC, 13 of 14 from the deep south. Go back one more year and its Texas (not sure if considered deep south) I'm sure TX, SC and FL will be ready to pay football along with their deep South bretheren...They shouldn't be held back by blue states..
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Bologna, JMU. That entire list is merely a list of paper champions. The REAL D-I national champions come from the FCS because only the FCS (in D-I, anyway) has a legit playoff where every conference that chooses to participate has an autobid. That other piece of bologna defines out the upset, so it's not a true playoff, and therefore does not result in a true champion....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:00 am Bologna, JMU. That entire list is merely a list of paper champions. The REAL D-I national champions come from the FCS because only the FCS (in D-I, anyway) has a legit playoff where every conference that chooses to participate has an autobid. That other piece of bologna defines out the upset, so it's not a true playoff, and therefore does not result in a true champion....
:roll:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:00 am Bologna, JMU. That entire list is merely a list of paper champions. The REAL D-I national champions come from the FCS because only the FCS (in D-I, anyway) has a legit playoff where every conference that chooses to participate has an autobid. That other piece of bologna defines out the upset, so it's not a true playoff, and therefore does not result in a true champion....
Yeah!! Last time a team from a non-power conference in I-AA/FCS won the title...... 1978. The inaugural year of I-AA when FAMU won the title before there were any power conferences and most of the good teams were still in D2.

Horny, just STFU about this topic. :coffee:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

After being out and about this weekend to puck-up curbside at Lowe's. Just seeing how nonchalant people are, I really don't think we will have any college football in 2020.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:19 pm After being out and about this weekend to puck-up curbside at Lowe's. Just seeing how nonchalant people are, I really don't think we will have any college football in 2020.
Nah, I don't see how the SEC doesn't play football this fall. They might be the only ones playing, but I'd almost bet money on the SEC playing. And the way the NFL is moving, I see them playing as well. And I think both play with fans in the stands (albeit with plenty of restrictions). I like how the NFL was positing to go to entirely mobile ordering of food at the concession stands - you place your order with your phone and you get a pick-up time when it will be ready, likely with a text for when it's actually ready. No more standing in lines, I like it.

I can see other colleges not playing (although I think most colleges will have kids on campus in the fall), but I think the SEC plays no matter what right now.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:23 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:19 pm After being out and about this weekend to puck-up curbside at Lowe's. Just seeing how nonchalant people are, I really don't think we will have any college football in 2020.
Nah, I don't see how the SEC doesn't play football this fall. They might be the only ones playing, but I'd almost bet money on the SEC playing. And the way the NFL is moving, I see them playing as well. And I think both play with fans in the stands (albeit with plenty of restrictions). I like how the NFL was positing to go to entirely mobile ordering of food at the concession stands - you place your order with your phone and you get a pick-up time when it will be ready, likely with a text for when it's actually ready. No more standing in lines, I like it.

I can see other colleges not playing (although I think most colleges will have kids on campus in the fall), but I think the SEC plays no matter what right now.
That could happen, just concerned that if we have a big wave of COVID-19 at that time, the government may try and shut things down.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:34 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:23 am

That could happen, just concerned that if we have a big wave of COVID-19 at that time, the government may try and shut things down.

The NFL maybe, because they're national enough, but I don't see the SEC shutting down. We're going to have people sick with COVID for as long as we don't have a vaccine, and even then, like with most other vaccines, it'll be just partially effective and we'll also have some number always impacted.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:40 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:34 am
The NFL maybe, because they're national enough, but I don't see the SEC shutting down. We're going to have people sick with COVID for as long as we don't have a vaccine, and even then, like with most other vaccines, it'll be just partially effective and we'll also have some number always impacted.
I don't see governors in some states allowing the NFL to play in front of crowds so they will need to look at playing in at least some empty stadiums. I could see the governors in the SEC states allowing it though so it could happen there. And it would be fascinating to see what happens. What will be the conservative narrative if a 2nd or 3rd wave devastates the south with football being game zero.

Whether students are on campus will also be a factor. How do you ask student athletes to return for practice when other students aren't on campus?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:31 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:40 am

I don't see governors in some states allowing the NFL to play in front of crowds so they will need to look at playing in at least some empty stadiums. I could see the governors in the SEC states allowing it though so it could happen there. And it would be fascinating to see what happens. What will be the conservative narrative if a 2nd or 3rd wave devastates the south with football being game zero.

Whether students are on campus will also be a factor. How do you ask student athletes to return for practice when other students aren't on campus?
Colleges are going to move mountains to get kids on campus in the fall - the amount of money they stand to lose if they don't (Michigan was saying they could lose up to $1B this year if they can't have an on-campus fall semester) would be staggering. And they need to make that call relatively soon, especially the ones that depend on foreign students as they need to make travel arrangements. But schools that say they'll just do on-line classes in the fall are facing the real prospect of large swaths of students deferring admission and instead taking a gap year or doing something else. No one wants to pay a Harvard or Vanderbilt tuition for strictly on-line courses.

As to who plays or not we'll see - Notre Dame's AD just said he expects to play this fall.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Gotta get that free Federal loan shark cash to stay afloat

50% of colleges and universities in the US could go completely under and it wouldn’t matter one bit

Time to drop some gender studies departments

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:35 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:31 am

Colleges are going to move mountains to get kids on campus in the fall - the amount of money they stand to lose if they don't (Michigan was saying they could lose up to $1B this year if they can't have an on-campus fall semester) would be staggering. And they need to make that call relatively soon, especially the ones that depend on foreign students as they need to make travel arrangements. But schools that say they'll just do on-line classes in the fall are facing the real prospect of large swaths of students deferring admission and instead taking a gap year or doing something else. No one wants to pay a Harvard or Vanderbilt tuition for strictly on-line courses.

As to who plays or not we'll see - Notre Dame's AD just said he expects to play this fall.

EWU announced yesterday it was going to an online first concept for all courses that can be offered that way. In person courses like labs would still be offered.

On campus housing would be available with one student per room. Dorms can be like cruise ships.

Talked to our soccer coach yesterday and he’s concerned about their season. He’s getting calls from the players and it sounds like at least some of them are skeptical about coming back.

https://www.khq.com/coronavirus/ewu-pla ... d86f0.html
Last edited by kalm on Wed May 06, 2020 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

CID1990 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:17 am Gotta get that free Federal loan shark cash to stay afloat

50% of colleges and universities in the US could go completely under and it wouldn’t matter one bit

Time to drop some gender studies departments

I don't disagree generally. I was looking at either Forbes or WSJ and they had a financial health grade (from A+ down to D) for all US colleges. I'm a fairly above average person in terms of colleges and what's out there and I had no idea where half of the C-, D+, and D schools were. It is probably about time for a culling of some of these hanger-on schools at the bottom of the college food chain.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:18 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:35 pm

EWU announced yesterday it was going to an online first concept for all courses that can be offered that way. In person courses like labs would still be offered.

On campus housing would be available with one student per room. Dorms can be like cruise ships.

Talked to our soccer coach yesterday and he’s concerned about there season. He’s getting calls from the players and it sounds like at least some of them are skeptical about coming back.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if schools like EWU or that tier (no offense intended) went fully back in the fall. They can probably afford to go mostly online (except for the science and nursing and other subjects that need a lab) and they can limp by. Still going to be hit, though, as the online experience is not the same as the on-campus one. May still have to think about discounting tuition (beyond not charging the room and board) once they get an idea of how many students are going to pony up the money for online school. For places where networking and hobnobbing are essential to the college experience (the Harvard's of the world) there's no way they can go heavy with online school.

And yes, most fall sports outside of big school money sports are in serious jeopardy at this point.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:11 am
kalm wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:18 am

Talked to our soccer coach yesterday and he’s concerned about there season. He’s getting calls from the players and it sounds like at least some of them are skeptical about coming back.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if schools like EWU or that tier (no offense intended) went fully back in the fall. They can probably afford to go mostly online (except for the science and nursing and other subjects that need a lab) and they can limp by. Still going to be hit, though, as the online experience is not the same as the on-campus one. May still have to think about discounting tuition (beyond not charging the room and board) once they get an idea of how many students are going to pony up the money for online school. For places where networking and hobnobbing are essential to the college experience (the Harvard's of the world) there's no way they can go heavy with online school.

And yes, most fall sports outside of big school money sports are in serious jeopardy at this point.

Good points. Two other issues...

1). It’s hard for independent small businesses to hold on in Cheney through just 3 months of summer. This would mean 9 months. Yes...I do actually get the economic concerns. These are places owned by friends and business acquaintances.

2). I wonder if title 9 will be used against football?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:17 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:11 am

Good points. Two other issues...

1). It’s hard for independent small businesses to hold on in Cheney through just 3 months of summer. This would mean 9 months. Yes...I do actually get the economic concerns. These are places owned by friends and business acquaintances.

2). I wonder if title 9 will be used against football?
On #1, yup, there's tons of economic misery ahead the longer this goes on. And it's misery for just regular people like you said. On #2, I'm sure the big colleges can get away with saying it's an act of God thing, force majore, or whatever will allow them to declare an emergency. And besides, there'll be plenty of guys sports that will be cancelled too - as you said, men's soccer would certainly be on the list. Only things that bring in money, and that's really just football at the big schools - FCS schools probably wouldn't play as they generally lose money playing football.
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

Football will go on like usual. I am so sure, I am using AZ's GUARANTEE.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

grizzaholic wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:08 am Football will go on like usual. I am so sure, I am using AZ's GUARANTEE.
If so, I expect a Cheney appearance from you.
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

kalm wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:25 am
grizzaholic wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:08 am Football will go on like usual. I am so sure, I am using AZ's GUARANTEE.
:nod: :nod:
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

grizzaholic wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:27 am
kalm wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:25 am

:nod: :nod:
Whoot!