Political discussions
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Incoming: Hand-wringing on the 75th Anniversary of the Nuking of Japan

Post by dbackjon »

Already seeing it on-line - "the brutal incineration of Civilians by the US"! Japan only targeted military units!!

I've brought up the Rape/Massacre of Nanking several times only to see the poster slink away with no response
:thumb:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: Incoming: Hand-wringing on the 75th Anniversary of the Nuking of Japan

Post by Ivytalk »

Good for you, dback! Kick his ass!
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

Prevented Olympic and its estimated million casualties.

Side note - my old Beltway bandit employer used to have their annual meeting at the Air and Space museum annex by Dulles airport - kinda creepy having a big cocktail party under the wings of the Enola Gay...
Proletarians of the world, unite!
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

dbackjon wrote:Already seeing it on-line - "the brutal incineration of Civilians by the US"! Japan only targeted military units!!

I've brought up the Rape/Massacre of Nanking several times only to see the poster slink away with no response
Jon...

Sometimes you are oddly congruent
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:51 pm
dbackjon wrote:Already seeing it on-line - "the brutal incineration of Civilians by the US"! Japan only targeted military units!!

Jon...

:lol: :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Rob Iola wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:56 pm Prevented Olympic and its estimated million casualties.

Side note - my old Beltway bandit employer used to have their annual meeting at the Air and Space museum annex by Dulles airport - kinda creepy having a big cocktail party under the wings of the Enola Gay...
That is a cool museum. :thumb:

Between the space shuttle Discovery, SR-71, and the Enola Gay I was a happy camper. I could of wandered that place all day.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Incoming: Hand-wringing on the 75th Anniversary of the Nuking of Japan

Post by Ibanez »

The NAZIS were observers to Nanking and tried to stop the atrocity. At that point, you know you’ve gone too far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Winterborn wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:03 am
Rob Iola wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:56 pm Prevented Olympic and its estimated million casualties.

Between the space shuttle Discovery, SR-71, and the Enola Gay I was a happy camper. I could of wandered that place all day.
*have
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

If you're so inclined, when things get back to normal look up the September Dulles Day Plane Pull (planepull.com) and the associated Dulles Day 5K/10K on the Runway - basically a huge festival at the airport (morning run from the museum onto runway 1R - which hopefully ATC remembered to close - followed by team tug-of-war competition vs. a Fedex or United jet) - worth a trip to the DC area...
Proletarians of the world, unite!
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Rob Iola wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:39 am

If you're so inclined, when things get back to normal look up the September Dulles Day Plane Pull (planepull.com) and the associated Dulles Day 5K/10K on the Runway - basically a huge festival at the airport (morning run from the museum onto runway 1R - which hopefully ATC remembered to close - followed by team tug-of-war competition vs. a Fedex or United jet) - worth a trip to the DC area...
I will definitely add it to the list of things to check out when I am back in DC. :thumb:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:59 am

*have
I could of used have, but I forgot.

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

CID1990 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:51 pm

Jon...

Not sure if I should be insulted or what... :kisswink:
:thumb:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Winterborn wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:51 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:59 am

*have
I could of used have, but I forgot.
well, irregardless….
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Yep. D-Day Japan would have made D-Day Normandy look like tiddly winks in comparison. Good chance my grandfather (wounded in Germany in 1945), would have taken part, as his division was slated to.

You still have people who refuse to believe that dropping the A bombs almost certainly saved several hundred thousand American lives, but Japanese lives as well, as an invasion late 1945-1946 would have cost hundreds of thousands more, or possibly millions more, Japanese lives, than the 200k mas or menos that died as a result of the A-bombs.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:57 am

Yep. D-Day Japan would have made D-Day Normandy look like tiddly winks in comparison. Good chance my grandfather (wounded in Germany in 1945), would have taken part, as his division was slated to.

You still have people who refuse to believe that dropping the A bombs almost certainly saved several hundred thousand American lives, but Japanese lives as well, as an invasion late 1945-1946 would have cost hundreds of thousands more, or possibly millions more, Japanese lives, than the 200k mas or menos that died as a result of the A-bombs.
Exactly. The Japanese civilians were instructed to fight to the death and we had already seen that play out on Okinawa (that and the suicides). It was 75 years ago...too late to say it was a bad or good decision or get all in a tizzy over it.

People can hand wring all they want but the fact is that after August 6th, Japan still couldn't bring itself to capitulate. They had seen the destruction we could inflict and they could've prevented Nagasaki from a similar fate.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

I can just see the tweet now

<Un-American to criticize US decision to use nuke on Japan! We made the biggest, best bomb ever! Why not use it? Sad!>

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:05 pm I can just see the tweet now

<Un-American to criticize US decision to use nuke on Japan! We made the biggest, best bomb ever! Why not use it? Sad!>

I can see the other sides tweets too: <Time for reparations for Japan! Our horrifically racist decision to nuke those poor innocent civilians...the horror!>
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:14 pm

I can see the other sides tweets too: <Time for reparations for Japan! Our horrifically racist decision to nuke those poor innocent civilians...the horror!>
Not enough reparations cash to go around! :lol:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

#YellowLivesMatter
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:29 am

#YellowLivesMatter
That’s lacist! :bad:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:21 am

:lol: I think we're good with Japan. We democratized their culture, gave women the right to vote, and payed reparations to those we rounded up in the states.

If we're going to discuss reparations to blacks, and I think we should, it should probably be best to avoid direct cash payments. Give tax incentives, make it easier for blacks to get a business loan or home loan but sunset the legislation that allows for those things. There's a boatload of generation wealth that whites enjoy and it was done on the backs of slaves, it might not be a bad idea to discuss how best to help that happen.

That said - there are public schools, affirmative action (though this is horribly flawed) and opportunity zones already in effect. But those can and should be improved upon.

Those are just my thoughts. I find this topic interesting and am open to discussion and modifying my ideas. :twocents: :coffee:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:34 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:29 am

#YellowLivesMatter
That’s lacist! :bad:
Me so sorry
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Post by CitadelGrad »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:36 am
Ivytalk wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:21 am

:lol: I think we're good with Japan. We democratized their culture, gave women the right to vote, and payed reparations to those we rounded up in the states.

If we're going to discuss reparations to blacks, and I think we should, it should probably be best to avoid direct cash payments. Give tax incentives, make it easier for blacks to get a business loan or home loan but sunset the legislation that allows for those things. There's a boatload of generation wealth that whites enjoy and it was done on the backs of slaves, it might not be a bad idea to discuss how best to help that happen.

That said - there are public schools, affirmative action (though this is horribly flawed) and opportunity zones already in effect. But those can and should be improved upon.

Those are just my thoughts. I find this topic interesting and am open to discussion and modifying my ideas. :twocents: :coffee:
The wealth created on the backs of slaves in the South was either confiscated by the U.S. Government or destroyed during the war. Perhaps the Yankees who actually conducted the slave trade should pay reparations to blacks and the South. Where do you think the money came from to build all those spectacular mansions in Newport, RI?
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

CitadelGrad wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:00 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:36 am

The wealth created on the backs of slaves in the South was either confiscated by the U.S. Government or destroyed during the war. Perhaps the Yankees who actually conducted the slave trade should pay reparations to blacks and the South. Where do you think the money came from to build all those spectacular mansions in Newport, RI?
and a fairly good sized on in Asheville, NC.