Political discussions
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:43 am Feel free to disagree.
:lol: :coffee:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:43 am
CID1990 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:38 am
I’ve been talking about chronic aftereffects of the virus for several weeks now because they are actually a thing -

and now it appears that they pop up even in people who do not suffer from severe COVID symptoms.

It may be statistically low but I wouldn’t put it in the outlier category

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By definition if it’s statistically low probability it’s an outlier. :suspicious:
To me it means one of a kind. Something totally different from the rest. 1% is not an outlier IMO.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Numbers are still high in NC, but they appear to be hitting a plateau on new cases and hospitalizations. Unfortunately deaths are up as people succumb after prolonged hospital stays.

Meanwhile tourists still like Asheville, even without the bars being open.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:31 pm
SDHornet wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:22 pm

Not really, you're either consistent with the value of human life, or you're not and thus a hypocrite. You can't support partial birth abortion and turn around and be butt hurt some old people (mostly 65+ and older here in CA) are dying from the China Virus.

And shutting everything down impact how many untold lives all to save some old people from dying? You're all over the map on this one bud. Put the shovel down.
I don't believe fetuses constitute life, but I've gone over that a million times and this isn't the thread.

And yes, as suggested in March, we shut everything down until contact tracing becomes viable. All loans, rents, interest, mortgages - across the board for businesses and individuals - are paused (aka. no one owes anyone anything), everyone gets a government stipend and universal healthcare for the duration of, and only essential jobs are allowed to work...truckers, healthcare, sanitary, farmers, grocery, etc.

Shut the whole country down.
Science says differently regarding life in the womb.

I like how the goalposts keep getting move regarding the shutdown. First to bend the curve, then not until no new cases, and now not until there is contact tracing. And Leftists wonder why no one really listens to anything the "experts" say regarding the China Virus.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Ivytalk wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:52 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:31 pm

I don't believe fetuses constitute life, but I've gone over that a million times and this isn't the thread.

And yes, as suggested in March, we shut everything down until contact tracing becomes viable. All loans, rents, interest, mortgages - across the board for businesses and individuals - are paused (aka. no one owes anyone anything), everyone gets a government stipend and universal healthcare for the duration of, and only essential jobs are allowed to work...truckers, healthcare, sanitary, farmers, grocery, etc.

Shut the whole country down.
You should advocate opening the whole country up, Twirpz. That would create a series of super-spreader events that would soon kill off the older generations that you purport to despise (with the possible exception of your parents) and open the way to your authoritarian Utopia of a 10,000-member Congress, a huge and packed SCOTUS, a Constitution that would be the envy of Red China and Iran, President Anorexia Occasional Cortex, and free shit for everyone! :thumb:
:lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:25 pm
Ibanez wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:58 am
He is certainly criticized - but it's his own doing so. It's also b/c the left became unhinged in 2016 but Trumps personality and inability to act like an adult doesn't help.
And that is why it is so delicious! The Left is being pummeled by a buffoon. He only needs to tweet his stance on a subject to see the Left reflexively go to the other extreme and come off as just as petulant.

So much for professionalism. The Trump detractors have been exposed as just as unhinged.

Me, I just sit back and enjoy the ride.
It's been an very entertaining watch. :nod: :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

AshevilleApp wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:15 pm Numbers are still high in NC, but they appear to be hitting a plateau on new cases and hospitalizations. Unfortunately deaths are up as people succumb after prolonged hospital stays.

75% of the deaths in CA are 65+ in age. Still 0 deaths in the <18 age group. Half of the deaths are in LA county.

https://public.tableau.com/views/COVID- ... VizHome=no
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:57 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:47 am
That's not the definition at all.

If being born gay is a 1% chance, that's low probability but not an outlier. Being born gay without arms and legs is an outlier.
Mmmkay. On a bell curve, 1% is an outlier. You define it however the fuck you want.
On a bell curve, 1% is likely an outlier. But is a bell curve the right graphic tool for this situation?

What percentage of otherwise healthy people who are afflicted with COVID19 develop respiratory, circulatory or other chronic issues afterward?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:19 pm
AshevilleApp wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:15 pm Numbers are still high in NC, but they appear to be hitting a plateau on new cases and hospitalizations. Unfortunately deaths are up as people succumb after prolonged hospital stays.

75% of the deaths in CA are 65+ in age. Still 0 deaths in the <18 age group. Half of the deaths are in LA county.

As predicted from the outset?
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

AshevilleApp wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:42 pm
SDHornet wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:19 pm

No idea, but if 2M were predicted to die, I guess a good chunk of those would have happened in LA.

The odd thing is that SF is the 2nd most dense city in America and that city is relatively unscathed (61 deaths as of today). :?
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:45 pm
AshevilleApp wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:42 pm

No idea, but if 2M were predicted to die, I guess a good chunk of those would have happened in LA.

The odd thing is that SF is the 2nd most dense city in America and that city is relatively unscathed (61 deaths as of today). :?
It makes sense about LA, kind of weird about SF though. And yeah, at least as I recall it, the hardest hit group was always expected to be those 65 and older, and those with compromised immune systems. And lets keep in mind that early predictions on deaths were based on a worst case scenario where nobody acted to slow the spread down, and doctors were scrambling on how to treat it. Of course those are the numbers we all remember though. And even if you discount 1/3 of the Covid counted deaths since early March, as some folks prefer to do, that still is 100,000 deaths in 5 months from an infectious disease. That's pretty damn high, and doesn't even factor in those with long term health damage from the disease. I understand the need to re-open businesses as soon as possible, and they mostly have around these parts. Except bars of course. :ohno: But we've helped prolong it by choosing to ignore the recommendations for containment and turning it into a political shitshow. That includes people from all sides of the spectrum.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:20 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:57 am

Mmmkay. On a bell curve, 1% is an outlier. You define it however the fuck you want.
On a bell curve, 1% is likely an outlier. But is a bell curve the right graphic tool for this situation?

What percentage of otherwise healthy people who are afflicted with COVID19 develop respiratory, circulatory or other chronic issues afterward?
You forgot a factor: What percentage of healthy people under the age of XXX....this guy is 28. The odds of this happening to him are very, very, very low. In fact, so low that there’s not enough data elements to even register what % in his age/sex/health group have even gotten sick, let alone had complications.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

AshevilleApp wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:10 pm

It makes sense about LA, kind of weird about SF though. And yeah, at least as I recall it, the hardest hit group was always expected to be those 65 and older, and those with compromised immune systems. And lets keep in mind that early predictions on deaths were based on a worst case scenario where nobody acted to slow the spread down, and doctors were scrambling on how to treat it. Of course those are the numbers we all remember though. And even if you discount 1/3 of the Covid counted deaths since early March, as some folks prefer to do, that still is 100,000 deaths in 5 months from an infectious disease. That's pretty damn high, and doesn't even factor in those with long term health damage from the disease. I understand the need to re-open businesses as soon as possible, and they mostly have around these parts. Except bars of course. :ohno: But we've helped prolong it by choosing to ignore the recommendations for containment and turning it into a political shitshow. That includes people from all sides of the spectrum.
:nod:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:18 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:20 pm

You forgot a factor: What percentage of healthy people under the age of XXX....this guy is 28. The odds of this happening to him are very, very, very low. In fact, so low that there’s not enough data elements to even register what % in his age/sex/health group have even gotten sick, let alone had complications.
According to the CDC 51.6 out of 100,000 people between 18-29 have been hospitalized, compared to 360.2 for 65 and over. It's not that low. Overall it's 130.1 for all ages. Around 90% of all age groups had an underlying condition, obesity, heart problems, cancer, diabetes, etc.

CDC Link
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:52 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:18 pm

According to the CDC 51.6 out of 100,000 people between 18-29 have been hospitalized, compared to 360.2 for 65 and over. It's not that low. Overall it's 130.1 for all ages. Around 90% of all age groups had an underlying condition, obesity, heart problems, cancer, diabetes, etc.

CDC Link
Exactly. And he claims he didn’t.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:23 pm

Actually, if you discount the 125,000 deaths that would have occurred anyway from heart disease, pneumonia, and a couple other causes that are ALL down 40% in the past 4 months, COVID itself is only responsible for about 25,000 deaths.....but hey, lets shut down the whole country.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:30 pm

Actually, if you discount the 125,000 deaths that would have occurred anyway from heart disease, pneumonia, and a couple other causes that are ALL down 40% in the past 4 months, COVID itself is only responsible for about 25,000 deaths.....but hey, lets shut down the whole country.
Z, the country isn't shut down. You're on vacation aren't you? 93 is heading out soon and I'm planning one for Septembr/October. Maybe Texas is shut down? Not here though. Keep the hyperbole coming though! :thumb:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

How many of those deaths were people "that died with COVID" vs people that "died from COVID"? We won't know off hand, and probably won't know years later, if ever. The fact that the hospitals have a financial incentive to classify deaths as "COVID related" gives them a reason to boost numbers, especially since the shutdowns have hurt their bottom lines. :coffee:
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:22 am

How many of those deaths were people "that died with COVID" vs people that "died from COVID"? We won't know off hand, and probably won't know years later, if ever. The fact that the hospitals have a financial incentive to classify deaths as "COVID related" gives them a reason to boost numbers, especially since the shutdowns have hurt their bottom lines. :coffee:
How many people actually die from the flu as opposed to the flu complicating existing conditions? We'll never get exact numbers unless everyone has an autopsy. :coffee:
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

I'm curious how you got the number, other than from some guy on egriz. I've been looking at articles related to heart attack, strokes etc in the last 4 months, and at least some of them indicate that actual morbidity from these causes has increased in the past couple of months. The number of reported cases (i.e. trips to the emergency room) has gone down by 40%, but deaths have risen. MD's speculate that people are ignoring symptoms due to fear of getting covid in the ER and waiting until it's too late to get treatment. They still get counted as heart attacks and strokes as far as the cause of death though. Or I may have misread the articles, I'm certainly capable of doing that. :nod:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AshevilleApp wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:53 am
SDHornet wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:22 am

How many people actually die from the flu as opposed to the flu complicating existing conditions? We'll never get exact numbers unless everyone has an autopsy. :coffee:
‘Well sure...it was TECHNICALLY Covid...I guess, but he only had another 10 years left in him tops with his other condition.’
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Be careful you could poke an eye out with that tape measure..... :coffee:

Video in link.

There's a new Karen in town ... and she's freaking out while wielding measuring tape.

It's unclear exactly what set this lady off, but it sounds like she's screaming something about protecting her family ... and she clearly has spacial issues.

According to the woman recording the video and her friend ... they went to the beach to have a nice, relaxing day until the angry woman went crazy on them.

They say Measuring Tape Karen ID'd herself as a nurse, and wanted them to move farther away from her, "because she feels like it."

Perhaps she felt they weren't social distancing enough, but that kind of goes out the window when you accost people and scream at them without wearing a mask.

Eventually, the mad lady was dragged away as she let out another primal shriek, shouting ... "It's people like you that are ruining it for all of us!"
https://www.tmz.com/2020/07/21/measurin ... ren-beach/
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Spokane Public Schools and neighboring Central Valley have both announced at home learning to start the fall. I’m guessing Cheney will as well. Two - three months of lockdown back in April and I’m guessing we’d have school and football.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

AshevilleApp wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:03 am

I'm curious how you got the number, other than from some guy on egriz. I've been looking at articles related to heart attack, strokes etc in the last 4 months, and at least some of them indicate that actual morbidity from these causes has increased in the past couple of months. The number of reported cases (i.e. trips to the emergency room) has gone down by 40%, but deaths have risen. MD's speculate that people are ignoring symptoms due to fear of getting covid in the ER and waiting until it's too late to get treatment. They still get counted as heart attacks and strokes as far as the cause of death though. Or I may have misread the articles, I'm certainly capable of doing that. :nod:
Chizzied it. :coffee: