Coronavirus COVID-19

Political discussions
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by ∞∞∞ »

kalm wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:44 pm Spokane Public Schools and neighboring Central Valley have both announced at home learning to start the fall. I’m guessing Cheney will as well. Two - three months of lockdown back in April and I’m guessing we’d have school and football.
You mean we shoulda listened to all the experts saying to shut it down for a month or two?

Like all the countries which did the same and successfully contained it?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:44 pm Spokane Public Schools and neighboring Central Valley have both announced at home learning to start the fall. I’m guessing Cheney will as well. Two - three months of lockdown back in April and I’m guessing we’d have school and football.
I doubt it. We've been crazy compliant over here in the Seattle area and they are still going to online learning to start the year. I know it's two different areas, but teachers band together.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Haven't seen a scoreboard update for Nashville Tornadoes vs. Coronavirus in about 5 months.

Last time we checked in, 'Rona was up 26-24 at the 2-minute warning. Anyone know if the Nashville Tornadoes made a comeback?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:58 pm
I doubt it. We've been crazy compliant over here in the Seattle area and they are still going to online learning to start the year. I know it's two different areas, but teachers band together.
It’s worked in other high population density countries.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:28 pm

I'm not arguing that. I'm saying E Washington schools probably would not have opened even with the shut down you hoped for.

I base that on education unions sticking together.

We've been very compliant over here and the school district isn't even close to allowing kids back. We start school at stage 2 and have to go all the way to stage 6 before schools open.

I could easily be wrong.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:13 pm Haven't seen a scoreboard update for Nashville Tornadoes vs. Coronavirus in about 5 months.

Last time we checked in, 'Rona was up 26-24 at the 2-minute warning. Anyone know if the Nashville Tornadoes made a comeback?
The Tornadoes went into bankruptcy and were disbanded.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:25 pm
AshevilleApp wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:03 am
I'm curious how you got the number, other than from some guy on egriz. I've been looking at articles related to heart attack, strokes etc in the last 4 months, and at least some of them indicate that actual morbidity from these causes has increased in the past couple of months. The number of reported cases (i.e. trips to the emergency room) has gone down by 40%, but deaths have risen. MD's speculate that people are ignoring symptoms due to fear of getting covid in the ER and waiting until it's too late to get treatment. They still get counted as heart attacks and strokes as far as the cause of death though. Or I may have misread the articles, I'm certainly capable of doing that. :nod:
Chizzied it. :coffee:
Excellent use of the word! A+
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:25 pm
AshevilleApp wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:03 am

I'm curious how you got the number, other than from some guy on egriz. I've been looking at articles related to heart attack, strokes etc in the last 4 months, and at least some of them indicate that actual morbidity from these causes has increased in the past couple of months. The number of reported cases (i.e. trips to the emergency room) has gone down by 40%, but deaths have risen. MD's speculate that people are ignoring symptoms due to fear of getting covid in the ER and waiting until it's too late to get treatment. They still get counted as heart attacks and strokes as far as the cause of death though. Or I may have misread the articles, I'm certainly capable of doing that. :nod:
Chizzied it. :coffee:
:lol:
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Maybe so, but this is a learning process. In April, we thought that summer heat would kill the virus a well. Schools here are trying to figure this out as well. I hate it for the working parents of small kids. WTF do you do?
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:04 pm
∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:13 pm Haven't seen a scoreboard update for Nashville Tornadoes vs. Coronavirus in about 5 months.

The Tornadoes went into bankruptcy and were disbanded.
That's likely to happen with Trump at the helm. :coffee:
Spoiler: show
:poke: :poke: :poke: :poke: :stir: :stir:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AshevilleApp wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:18 am
Maybe so, but this is a learning process. In April, we thought that summer heat would kill the virus a well. Schools here are trying to figure this out as well. I hate it for the working parents of small kids. WTF do you do?
It's a tough decision. I've stated previously that we are homeschooling Lil CCU (3 weeks in and it's going good so far. Kindergarten is easy). My siblings have children the same age, much older and in pre-school. They're all going back to school. HOWEVER, they will pull them out and do online if they get uncomfortable with it. One of my brothers has his children in the Catholic school system and has been told that the phones won't stop ringing with people trying to get in. The same is happening with the other private schools - kids are being pulled from public school. Private school isn't cheap. Porter-Gaud is k-12 and $22k/year. Bishop England ( my HS) is $14k. They and their spouses work and only one of them has the luxury of WFH - unless he's travelling for work.

It's a tough decision and the school districts here have changed what is going to happen so the uncertainty isn't helping to quell any worries or fears.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

:suspicious:

China quarantined 18k people here last week and France has seen a 78% increase in their cases. Declaring that measures "have worked" in other countries is a bit presumptuous. Only thing we know is that measures taken seem to slow the spread down, they do nothing to eliminate the threat (need a vaccine or heard immunity).
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

My school district is giving the option of full in school (5 days a week) or full virtual. You can opt in and out from semester to semester (meaning you need to decide for first half of the year what you want to do). We're sending the kids back full time. Precautions seem pretty good - masks are mandatory the entire day except for when eating. Desks are spaced as far as they'll go - in some classrooms it will be the full 6 ft, in others not that far off. Cafeteria has been enlarged - there's a huge main hallway that they moved tables into and they are doing a tented area outside (with heat in the winter) where they have a courtyard, with marked off areas where kids are allowed to sit. All surfaces in the classrooms are being cleaned in between classes and all surfaces in the cafeteria are being cleaned in between lunches. At the high school, there's block scheduling so there are only 4 periods during the day anyway (so just 3 changes of classes - there are 3 different lunches too so just two changes during the day). The middle school has more classes but they'll do the same there. I don't have a kid in elementary school anymore so not as familiar with what they are doing.

For us, sending the kids back wasn't that hard of a decision. They are taking the precautions needed to make it safe (masks all day, social distancing in the classroom and regular disinfected cleaning). When we asked our kids they didn't blink about wanting to go back - even just the three months in the spring with little to no social interaction for them was terrible, and even the best online learning was still substantially inferior to learning in the classroom. I'm sure online learning will get better and better as it goes on, but where we are we aren't there yet and the kids's learning would suffer. I like the can-do attitude of the school district - this is how we're making it safe, this is how we're going to go forward, these are the options, now let's go. There are tons of different variations from district to district - some are going all virtual until there's a vaccine, some are doing a hybrid of some days in school and some days remote, and a few are doing the option like this of in person school everyday or choice of all virtual. I'm comfortable with our choice.

Hopefully sports goes ahead too - seems like they are leaving that up to the schools to do. A nearby school just said they are not having sports this fall. Ours has been having practices for fall sports for the past month with no issues. Hopefully they don't do a blanket one way or the other - I have a cross country runner starting high school this year and let's be honest, we can do cross country pretty safely. I have a soccer player as my oldest and that could be a bit more dicey, but I hope they pull it off. Politics aside, these kids do really suffer when they can't be kids and get to experience all the aspects of growing up.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:56 am

China quarantined 18k people here last week and France has seen a 78% increase in their cases. Declaring that measures "have worked" in other countries is a bit presumptuous. Only thing we know is that measures taken seem to slow the spread down, they do nothing to eliminate the threat (need a vaccine or heard immunity).
Yes, and places like Iceland and Japan are on the rise again while Sweden’s new case count has been steadily improving the past month. Many variables, a few outliers but once you get tge reinfection rate and new case counts down enough, spikes become more manageable to track and trace and isolate.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Winterborn wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:56 am

We would love to have France's numbers. Their daily cases are similar to our daily deaths.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:57 am We would love to have France's numbers.
Agreed, instead of being #10 in deaths per population we'd be all the way down to 11. :coffee:
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

I should have said "current numbers"

Yesterday:
France - 556 new cases, 22 deaths
US - 48,622 new cases, 567 deaths
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:31 am I should have used more qualifiers.
FYP
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Well, we were talking about current numbers... so, I thought that would have been clear.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:24 am
It's a tough decision. I've stated previously that we are homeschooling Lil CCU (3 weeks in and it's going good so far. Kindergarten is easy). My siblings have children the same age, much older and in pre-school. They're all going back to school. HOWEVER, they will pull them out and do online if they get uncomfortable with it. One of my brothers has his children in the Catholic school system and has been told that the phones won't stop ringing with people trying to get in. The same is happening with the other private schools - kids are being pulled from public school. Private school isn't cheap. Porter-Gaud is k-12 and $22k/year. Bishop England ( my HS) is $14k. They and their spouses work and only one of them has the luxury of WFH - unless he's travelling for work.

It's a tough decision and the school districts here have changed what is going to happen so the uncertainty isn't helping to quell any worries or fears.
This is bullshit. It's summer. No school until mid-August at the earliest. :tothehand: :twisted:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:20 am Well, we were talking about current numbers... so, I thought that would have been clear.
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-08- ... uncil.html
France could "at any moment" lose control over the spread of the coronavirus, the government's COVID-19 scientific council warned Tuesday as official data showed the first rise in intensive care patients since April.
catbooster
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Montana State

Post by catbooster »

Just got official notice for high school this fall here in Bozeman. Last names starting with A-K will go to school Monday and Tuesday, Wed will be deep cleaning, etc. Thurs, Fri for L-Z. Internet for the 3 days they aren't attending. So 2 days/wk in class and 3 days/wk remote. They will change as circumstances dictate.

Latest I heard, Montana high school sports are all on for this fall. They've put in rules about not sharing water bottles, keeping distance where possible, masks when practical, etc. But they're going to adjust depending on changing circumstances. I really doubt they will complete their seasons but they're going to try. Maybe the small schools will be able to do it but I doubt the bigger schools can.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:09 am
Ibanez wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:24 am

This is bullshit. It's summer. No school until mid-August at the earliest. :tothehand: :twisted:
:lol: We're getting ahead. 365 days to do 180 school days.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

catbooster wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:51 am Just got official notice for high school this fall here in Bozeman. Last names starting with A-K will go to school Monday and Tuesday, Wed will be deep cleaning, etc. Thurs, Fri for L-Z. Internet for the 3 days they aren't attending. So 2 days/wk in class and 3 days/wk remote. They will change as circumstances dictate.

Latest I heard, Montana high school sports are all on for this fall. They've put in rules about not sharing water bottles, keeping distance where possible, masks when practical, etc. But they're going to adjust depending on changing circumstances. I really doubt they will complete their seasons but they're going to try. Maybe the small schools will be able to do it but I doubt the bigger schools can.
My wife's district is doing exactly that - they still haven't come up with if the sessions in school will be livestreamed or not, and what happens on that Wednesday (i.e. do teachers livestream from home on that day or come in). Plenty of details to work out. Her district is going on line virtually for everyone for the first 3 weeks, though, I imagine to give them time to get it figured out and to see if anything goes off the rails.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation