"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Beirut Lebanon

Post by 93henfan »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:44 pm That was an ANFO explosion all the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, they said there was a warehouse of it improperly stored nearby. Why you'd place that in a population center seems very third world.

Oh yeah, my bad.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Luckily my entire family was uninjured, but most of their homes suffered shattered windows.

One of my cousin's homes is completely destroyed on the inside though. He lives high up in a skyscraper so there was little in the way to dampen the shock wave. Most my family doesn't live close to the port, but they sent us pics of their neighborhood and the streets were littered with glass, concrete, signage, light posts, wires, condensing units, and dry blood.

The Lebanese gov't is a complete shit show and has been for a while.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:18 am Luckily my entire family was uninjured
:thumb:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:18 am Luckily my entire family was uninjured, but most of their homes suffered shattered windows.

One of my cousin's homes is completely destroyed on the inside though. He lives high up in a skyscraper so there was little in the way to dampen the shock wave. Most my family doesn't live close to the port, but they sent us pics of their neighborhood and the streets were littered with glass, concrete, signage, light posts, wires, condensing units, and dry blood.

Tough place to live, glad they're okay.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

93henfan wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:09 pm WTF Boom champions: 1983, 2020.

The thumbnail of that video looks like a demonic Santa Claus l.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:38 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:18 am Luckily my entire family was uninjured
:thumb: :thumb:
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:18 am Luckily my entire family was uninjured, but most of their homes suffered shattered windows.

Glad to hear, Tripster.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Glad for no injuries
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

93henfan wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:16 am
CID1990 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:44 pm That was an ANFO explosion all the way

Yep, they said there was a warehouse of it improperly stored nearby. Why you'd place that in a population center seems very third world.

Oh yeah, my bad.
Read that the fertilizer was seized and has been sitting in that warehouse since 2014.

Really? :dunce:
bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: Bob dammit!!

Post by bobbythekidd »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:36 am
89Hen wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:38 am

Also :thumb: :thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

bobbythekidd wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:58 am
UNI88 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:36 am

Also :thumb: :thumb:
:thumb: B :thumb: T :thumb: K
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Glad to hear about your family Trip.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:Luckily my entire family was uninjured, but most of their homes suffered shattered windows.

That’s good news, dude.

Whenever something goes boom in Lebanon the first thing that comes to mind is Hezbollah but this time it really does seem like a fuck up. People in Beirut just can’t catch a break.

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Trip, can you tell us what it's really like there? Are people happy? Want change? What is the end game?

Lebanon was all over our news in the 80's but I am really ignorant on what it's really like. Most of what I "know" is from the movie Spy Game, which I can watch every time it's on from start to finish. :lol:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

It's been really bad for a few years, even before this. Back to Rafic Harriri, the politicians have been robbing the nation. Taxes kept going up, but services were being cut and mismanaged. It's gotten critical in the last 4-5 years and taxing WhatsApp broke the camel's back. Months long nationwide protests happened but when the pandemic hit, the government found an excuse to really clamp down. Before yesterday's explosion, the country was in dire need of food and supplies as inflation had exploded during the lock downs.

As inflation and shortages grew, lots of people began to pull money out of the central bank at once. The government then said the money wasn't there and everyone could only pull out $200/mo...basically solidifying that various powers were literally robbing the country.

Common people have wanted change for years. Every politician and party (including Hezbollah) is hated, but all of them have strongmen, militias, and a core of radical supporters. Voter intimidation and outright violence is a huge problem. I think if given the opportunity though, most people would have every politician hanging in the streets right now.

Lebanon is a mismanaged country, but it's also fairly liberal for the Middle East. It has night clubs, bars, topless beaches, religious diversity, etc. The American University of Beirut is still the premier university in the entire region. Tons Lebanese citizens - possibly most - even want to open up relations with Israel. Lebanese LOVE the west (clothing, movies, music, etc.) in no small part to its French connection and large number of diaspora in the West. If there are two countries closest aligned with the West - culturally speaking - it's Israel and Lebanon.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

93henfan wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:09 pm WTF Boom champions: 1983, 2020.

I like big booms and I can not lie..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Posted this on FB, but deserves a post here.

Insane.

Everything is better with SeattleGriz
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:17 pm It's been really bad for a few years, even before this. Back to Rafic Harriri, the politicians have been robbing the nation. Taxes kept going up, but services were being cut and mismanaged. It's gotten critical in the last 4-5 years and taxing WhatsApp broke the camel's back. Months long nationwide protests happened but when the pandemic hit, the government found an excuse to really clamp down. Before yesterday's explosion, the country was in dire need of food and supplies as inflation had exploded during the lock downs.

As inflation and shortages grew, lots of people began to pull money out of the central bank at once. The government then said the money wasn't there and everyone could only pull out $200/mo...basically solidifying that various powers were literally robbing the country.

Common people have wanted change for years. Every politician and party (including Hezbollah) is hated, but all of them have strongmen, militias, and a core of radical supporters. Voter intimidation and outright violence is a huge problem. I think if given the opportunity though, most people would have every politician hanging in the streets right now.

Lebanon is a mismanaged country, but it's also fairly liberal for the Middle East. It has night clubs, bars, topless beaches, religious diversity, etc. The American University of Beirut is still the premier university in the entire region. Tons Lebanese citizens - possibly most - even want to open up relations with Israel. Lebanese LOVE the west (clothing, movies, music, etc.) in no small part to its French connection and large number of diaspora in the West. If there are two countries closest aligned with the West - culturally speaking - it's Israel and Lebanon.
Plus the odd and little known fact that about 80% of Lebanese are Catholic.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:09 pm
∞∞∞ wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:17 pm It's been really bad for a few years, even before this. Back to Rafic Harriri, the politicians have been robbing the nation. Taxes kept going up, but services were being cut and mismanaged. It's gotten critical in the last 4-5 years and taxing WhatsApp broke the camel's back. Months long nationwide protests happened but when the pandemic hit, the government found an excuse to really clamp down. Before yesterday's explosion, the country was in dire need of food and supplies as inflation had exploded during the lock downs.

Did you chizzy that number?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:22 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:09 pm

Did you chizzy that number?
:lol:

Actually, my best friend is Lebanese....he told me that. That’s about as good of a source as I could come up with. :coffee:

And actually, I misspoke. It’s not “catholic”, but Christian.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Lol...and I just looked at Wiki and was waaaaay off. Oh well. Still surprising how many Christians there are in that country.....
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:32 pm Lol...and I just looked at Wiki and was waaaaay off. Oh well. Still surprising how many Christians there are in that country.....
Lebanon is a very religiously diverse country - various Christian rites, Shia, Sunni, Druze, etc.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

I don’t think it is 80%

But in the 80s the Christian militias and the Muslim militias all seemed about evenly matched, so there is definitely no huge majority/minority. But I’m just guessing based on my own take without looking it up