Political discussions
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by Pwns »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:04 am For those of you not from/near the SC and GA coasts, Gullah people are African Americans that settled in those coastal towns and on the sea islands. They are Gullah people, also known as Geechee. There is nothing derogatory about them. Geechee comes from a river in Georgia. Nobody really knows where Gullah came from, some suspect it's derived from Angola - where the Africans came from.

There's a market and mill in Edisto, SC called "Geechie Boy.' It was the owners nickname and since the selling the company, it's still called that. You can buy stone ground grits, corn flower, etc.. It's owned by a white family. I just learned that SJWs are harassing this man to rename the company b/c Geechee is offensive. We asked a black chef we know (who is supposedly an expert on southern cooking) and says it is - but admits he has no idea what Geechee is or where it comes to. :roll:
Spoiler: show
Btw - this guy has no problem getting a degree from Ole Miss for free, simply b/c he's black and using his race in negotiating his salary.
These SJWs have gone so far as to send him hand written letters threatening his life and his children's. The guy has too much inventory to rename and is thinking about selling.

This is total crap. I'm going to make the assumption that these fucks are white who has no clue about the history of the word and name and are just attacking a white man for having a company with a black past. I hope these SJWs get arrested.

/thread.
Like a lot of people that have more than a few years in the small-town south, I've been around more black people than most liberal whites have.

They're not very diverse in how they vote. Most would vote for a llama if they had a D next to their name and they won't apologize for it. But there's a lot more diversity of opinion when it comes to things like racism and PC and wokeness. Most of the things I've heard said about black people that no white person could get away with publicly saying even before this year have come from black people. Most prefer social programs to having more movies about how it was actually Ben Franklin's black maid that discovered Coulomb's Law.

It's obvious to me which white people have been around your typical black person versus those white people that think they know what the black person hive mind thinks from talking with Chloe from their book club or following Hannah Jones on Twitter.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Pwns wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:09 am
Ibanez wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:04 am For those of you not from/near the SC and GA coasts, Gullah people are African Americans that settled in those coastal towns and on the sea islands. They are Gullah people, also known as Geechee. There is nothing derogatory about them. Geechee comes from a river in Georgia. Nobody really knows where Gullah came from, some suspect it's derived from Angola - where the Africans came from.

There's a market and mill in Edisto, SC called "Geechie Boy.' It was the owners nickname and since the selling the company, it's still called that. You can buy stone ground grits, corn flower, etc.. It's owned by a white family. I just learned that SJWs are harassing this man to rename the company b/c Geechee is offensive. We asked a black chef we know (who is supposedly an expert on southern cooking) and says it is - but admits he has no idea what Geechee is or where it comes to. :roll:
Btw - this guy has no problem getting a degree from Ole Miss for free, simply b/c he's black and using his race in negotiating his salary.
These SJWs have gone so far as to send him hand written letters threatening his life and his children's. The guy has too much inventory to rename and is thinking about selling.

This is total crap. I'm going to make the assumption that these fucks are white who has no clue about the history of the word and name and are just attacking a white man for having a company with a black past. I hope these SJWs get arrested.

/thread.
Like a lot of people that have more than a few years in the small-town south, I've been around more black people than most liberal whites have.

They're not very diverse in how they vote. Most would vote for a llama if they had a D next to their name and they won't apologize for it. But there's a lot more diversity of opinion when it comes to things like racism and PC and wokeness. Most of the things I've heard said about black people that no white person could get away with publicly saying even before this year have come from black people. Most prefer social programs to having more movies about how it was actually Ben Franklin's black maid that discovered Coulomb's Law.

It's obvious to me which white people have been around your typical black person versus those white people that think they know what the black person hive mind thinks from talking with Chloe from their book club or following Hannah Jones on Twitter.
I'll add that the chef is from New Jersey and i've lived in South my entire life. Even while going to Catholic school, we lived in an area that had a large number of middle class black families. My roommate and best friend from college - black guy from NJ.

Maybe things have changed but I honestly don't recall Geechee being offensive ( and am still not sure it is).
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
bobbythekidd
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern
A.K.A.: Bob dammit!!

Post by bobbythekidd »

It's not racist. My real father had a Gullah woman on staff that did the billing for the Elec Co-Op he ran. While in high school, I had several conversations with her about being Gullah and the Geetchie language. She was the one that took all the phone calls from Gullah customers since it's so hard to understand or be understood if you are a english speaker. The local flea market was called "Gullah Market". No one had an issue with it either. (Edit) I just googled it and it's still there.

The above is how i remember it, anyway. They Gullah people that speak Geechie. If it was racist to use the word, she would have bitch slapped me but instead both of us were using it with no issues.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

/thread.

I haven’t been around all that many white southern folk either. Are you saying I shouldn’t believe that the White Southern hive mind is racist, Republican, and ignant?
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

kalm wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:45 am
I haven’t been around all that many white southern folk either. Are you saying I shouldn’t believe that the White Southern hive mind is racist, Republican, and ignant?
I'm not sure what point you're making here, so I'll just guess.

I made the comment I did about how they vote because when I say something like that someone always seems to make some snide remark about me being a person that thinks Martin Luther King Jr would be a Republican today and blah blah blah. I don't think the vast majority of black Democrats are Republican and just don't know it. I'm just saying the reason they vote for Democrats isn't what a lot of Democrats think.

It's just another reason I believe that if Democrats moved left on economics and ditched the identity politics they'd be a lot stronger politically in many states but that's beside the point.
Celebrate Diversity.*
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:
Pwns wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:09 am Like a lot of people that have more than a few years in the small-town south, I've been around more black people than most liberal whites have.

I'll add that the chef is from New Jersey and i've lived in South my entire life. Even while going to Catholic school, we lived in an area that had a large number of middle class black families. My roommate and best friend from college - black guy from NJ.

Maybe things have changed but I honestly don't recall Geechee being offensive ( and am still not sure it is).
I never understood it to be offensive, I have used it around black people and they do too. In fact, it had a slight hint of a term of endearment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:05 am
kalm wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:45 am
I'm not sure what point you're making here, so I'll just guess.

I made the comment I did about how they vote because when I say something like that someone always seems to make some snide remark about me being a person that thinks Martin Luther King Jr would be a Republican today and blah blah blah. I don't think the vast majority of black Democrats are Republican and just don't know it. I'm just saying the reason they vote for Democrats isn't what a lot of Democrats think.

It's just another reason I believe that if Democrats moved left on economics and ditched the identity politics they'd be a lot stronger politically in many states but that's beside the point.
Totally agree on the last. The lefty intelligentsia now believes populism to be a dirty word. :ohno:
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

Celebrate Diversity.*
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

A Goodyear employee at a plant in Topeka, Kan., shared a slide that he said came from the company's corporate office in Akron, Ohio. The slide, reported by WIBW, showed two categories: Acceptable and Unacceptable.

Under “Unacceptable” were Blue Lives Matter, All Lives Matter, MAGA and politically affiliated slogans or material.
Trump calls for a boycott, Goodyear's stock drops 6%,
https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/goo ... mp-boycott
and Goodyear does an oh sh*t backpedal
After Trump's tweet, Goodyear responded, saying that the company "became the focus of a conversation that created some misconceptions about our policies and our company."

Goodyear said that the “visual in question was not created or distributed by Goodyear corporate, nor was it part of a diversity training class.”
https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/tru ... y-training

Goes to show if a company allows people to wear Black Lives Matter, LTQBG, etc, they should allow people to wear Blue Lives Matter, All Lives Matter, MAGA, etc.
Smart thing IMHOP would be for a company to allow employees to wear no slogans at all.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:09 am
A Goodyear employee at a plant in Topeka, Kan., shared a slide that he said came from the company's corporate office in Akron, Ohio. The slide, reported by WIBW, showed two categories: Acceptable and Unacceptable.

Under “Unacceptable” were Blue Lives Matter, All Lives Matter, MAGA and politically affiliated slogans or material.
After Trump's tweet, Goodyear responded, saying that the company "became the focus of a conversation that created some misconceptions about our policies and our company."

Goodyear said that the “visual in question was not created or distributed by Goodyear corporate, nor was it part of a diversity training class.”

Goes to show if a company allows people to wear Black Lives Matter, LTQBG, etc, they should allow people to wear Blue Lives Matter, All Lives Matter, MAGA, etc.
Smart thing IMHOP would be for a company to allow employees to wear no slogans at all.
I agree. Don't wear slogans at work.

Also - the POTUS, any POTUS, shouldn't be weighing in on trivial things like this.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

So as an ANTI-Cancel Culturist, you are going to go right out and buy a set of American made Goodyear tires, correct?
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

And once again, Trump screws up multiple times:

The ban is on all political slogans - including for Biden.

Two, why is the "President of the United States" trying to tank a US company that employees THOUSANDS of American workers (and many are supporters of the dumbshit)? That's actually illegal.

but the Trump Cult doesn't care about that. They only care that someone didn't give divine preference to their leader.

And if you vote for Trump, you are in the Cult. Especially those jag-offs that participate in Trump Boat Parades and other cult-behavior.
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

The Left: "If you try to keep me from cancelling you, you're cancelling me, and thus being a hypocrite. Checkmate, right wingers!"
Celebrate Diversity.*
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

/thread.

I went to a Green Bay game with James T Harris and his son when he lived in Milwaukee and before he had a radio show, he's a good friend of a friend I worked with for 10 years, also black. Both are die-hard conservatives, only my friend won't support Trump or a Democrat. James said he traveled the world when he was young and saw enough to switch from being Democrat to being a conservative. I don't have the small town southern black experience, I have 30 some years of being around professional and mid-west inner city blacks. Not much different than anyone else I meet along the way. Take a look at the link below and have a chuckle or two.

James T Harris Link
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Pwns wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:56 pm The Left: "If you try to keep me from cancelling you, you're cancelling me, and thus being a hypocrite. Checkmate, right wingers!"
That is as much gibberish as your master utters.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:53 pm

So as an ANTI-Cancel Culturist, you are going to go right out and buy a set of American made Goodyear tires, correct?
Nope, 3 weeks ago I just happened to have bought 4 Bridgestone 20”s for my Tundra. :lol:
Shares of the Akron, Ohio-based tire manufacturer fell as much as 5.86% following the president’s tweet while rival Bridgestone Corp. was up 1.42%.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:55 pm And once again, Trump screws up multiple times:

Two, why is the "President of the United States" trying to tank a US company that employees THOUSANDS of American workers (and many are supporters of the dumbshit)? That's actually illegal.

but the Trump Cult doesn't care about that. They only care that someone didn't give divine preference to their leader.

And if you vote for Trump, you are in the Cult. Especially those jag-offs that participate in Trump Boat Parades and other cult-behavior.
“To enable a work environment free of those, we ask that associates refrain from workplace expressions in support of political campaigning for ay candidate or political party, as well as similar forms of advocacy that fall outside the scope of racial justice and equity issues.”
Translation: BLM and the alphabet people gear ok, but All Lives Matter, Blue Lives Matter, etc not.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:55 pm And once again, Trump screws up multiple times:

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:22 pm

“To enable a work environment free of those, we ask that associates refrain from workplace expressions in support of political campaigning for ay candidate or political party, as well as similar forms of advocacy that fall outside the scope of racial justice and equity issues.”
Translation: BLM and the alphabet people gear ok, but All Lives Matter, Blue Lives Matter, etc not.
Translation: Racist Hypocrite defends the thing he claims to hate.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

I see you are 100 up Trump's ass. Why do you hate America?

I know why - you hate the same people Trump hates.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Nothin' says smart politics like threatening a major employer in Ohio.

6D chess.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:53 pm

You didn't point out that as someone who rails against cancel culture, POTUS is trying to cancel Goodyear. :lol:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

I don't think you understand what cancel culture is.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

89Hen wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:12 am I don't think you understand what cancel culture is.
This.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:12 am I don't think you understand what cancel culture is.
It's getting rid of things we don't like. It's tearing down things we don't like because they hurt our precious feelings.

I understand what it is...think outside the box, Hen.