Political discussions
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by dbackjon »

89Hen wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:12 am I don't think you understand what cancel culture is.
Do tell
:thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:12 am I don't think you understand what cancel culture is.
So responding to a cancel culture incident by trying to cancel the culture of the organization that initiated the original cancel isn't cancel culture?

Whaaa, they did it first so me doing it back is ok!

A real leader responds to this not by trying to get people to boycott an American company with 10's of thousands of employees but by calling them out for favoring one perspective over another and encouraging them to either not allow any political expressions or to listen to and respect different expressions. But that is difficult and doesn't fire up the base and Trump likes to take the easy way that gets his followers excited.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:43 am
So responding to a cancel culture incident by trying to cancel the culture of the organization that initiated the original cancel isn't cancel culture?

A real leader responds to this not by trying to get people to boycott an American company with 10's of thousands of employees but by calling them out for favoring one perspective over another and encouraging them to either not allow any political expressions or to listen to and respect different expressions. But that is difficult and doesn't fire up the base and Trump likes to take the easy way that gets his followers excited.
Or actually verifying the truthfulness of the statement in the first place.

If Goodyear bans both Trump and Biden hats/shirts, etc, but allows other social messaging, that is still being equal to both parties. It is no longer a political football, but a corporate culture choice.
:thumb:
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Trump's extremely unpresidential for calling on people to boycott any American corporation.

But come on, you can't tell me you don't see the difference between a corporation ostensibly discriminating an saying some political expression is all right versus a person losing their job because they retweeted Blue Lives Matter or not being woke in the right way, right? Right?
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

dbackjon wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:57 am

If Goodyear bans both Trump and Biden hats/shirts, etc, but allows other social messaging, that is still being equal to both parties. It is no longer a political football, but a corporate culture choice.
If you allow Black Lives Matter then you also need to allow Blue Lives Matter, All Lives Matter, etc.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Pwns wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:02 am

Trump's extremely unpresidential for calling on people to boycott any American corporation.

But come on, you can't tell me you don't see the difference between a corporation ostensibly discriminating an saying some political expression is all right versus a person losing their job because they retweeted Blue Lives Matter or not being woke in the right way, right? Right?
I think we have a bunch of cry-baby snowflakes on both sides who think that their views are correct who are outraged when someone disagrees with them.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:13 am
Pwns wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:02 am

I think we have a bunch of cry-baby snowflakes on both sides who think that their views are correct who are outraged when someone disagrees with them.
Your favorite Joni Mitchell song must be “Both Sides Now.” Make it your siggy or something. Jesus.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:15 pm

Your favorite Joni Mitchell song must be “Both Sides Now.” Make it your siggy or something. Jesus.
I love that song, and I'm not even a Joni Mitchell fan. :thumb:

Good cameos for that song in "Love, Actually" as well as "You've Got Mail" - "It's cloud's illusions I recall,I really don't know clouds at all, I mean, what is she, a pilot? It's a metaphor for something but I don't know what it is". :thumb:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Can CS be part of the trend and cancel culture Gorillas in the Mist?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:54 pm Can CS be part of the trend and cancel culture Gorillas in the Mist?
I would vote for that
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

I think he should update his location to being Fence-Sitter. :thumb:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:19 pm

:clap: :notworthy:

I mean, every other 88 post has a “both sides do it” motif. He’s becoming the JSO of the Insensible Center. 8-)
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:35 pm

I mean, every other 88 post has a “both sides do it” motif. He’s becoming the JSO of the Insensible Center. 8-)
At least he is concise. :D
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:44 pm

Relatively speaking.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:45 pm
Winterborn wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:44 pm

Relatively speaking.
Well the comparison is JSO to 88. If 88 holds it to under a novel, he has JSO beat.

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Winterborn wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:50 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:45 pm

Relatively speaking.
Well the comparison is JSO to 88. If 88 holds it to under a novel, he has JSO beat.
True dat. JSO to Ganny would be closer in verbiage.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:51 pm
Winterborn wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:50 pm

The horror! The difference, being of course, that I'm far more creative and fun than JSO (and I don't have a weird penchant for young girls or fake blue crabs). And of course, I don't have a rabid fascination with Hillary Clinton. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:03 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:51 pm

The horror! The difference, being of course, that I'm far more creative and fun than JSO (and I don't have a weird penchant for young girls or fake blue crabs). And of course, I don't have a rabid fascination with Hillary Clinton. :coffee:
Fear not, GF. Word count is your only resemblance to JSO. :nod:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:09 am
dbackjon wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:57 am

If you allow Black Lives Matter then you also need to allow Blue Lives Matter, All Lives Matter, etc.
Agreed, 100%.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

How much will you (or anyone else) donate to CS if I do? Put your money where your mouth is suckas! :D
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Am I wrong?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:43 pm

Am I wrong?
Depends on how far left or right the fence is. ;)
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

UNI88 wrote:
Winterborn wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:19 pm I think he should update his location to being Fence-Sitter. :thumb:
How much will you (or anyone else) donate to CS if I do? Put your money where your mouth is suckas! :D
I’ll pay tree fitty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:01 pm
UNI88 wrote:
I’ll pay tree fitty

We got tree fitty. Who's next? Time to ante up you cheap bastages.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:14 pm
Ibanez wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:01 pm
I’ll pay tree fitty

We got tree fitty. Who's next? Time to ante up you cheap bastages.
I will go 4 dollars and a bottle with 3 fingers of Scotch left. :coffee: