Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by Baldy »

Ivytalk wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:20 pm
∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:16 pm

No point in doing it where everyone agrees with me. Maybe you should leave the CS safe space and try it for once. :coffee:
Safe space? That’s a hot one, Junior birdman. Where else can one duke it out with hardened lefties like Houndy, dback, klam, analprobe, and Chizzang?
Maybe he just likes being laughed at???
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:16 pm

No point in doing it where everyone agrees with me. Maybe you should leave the CS safe space and try it for once. :coffee:
Safe space? That’s a hot one, Junior birdman. Where else can one duke it out with hardened lefties like Houndy, dback, klam, analprobe, and Chizzang?
You think a white man arguing with five other white men is duking it out? :rofl:

Look at this board (myself included)...it lacks perspectives. CS is one of the safest of safe spaces out there.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:26 pm

You think a white man arguing with five other white men is duking it out? :rofl:

Look at this board (myself included)...it lacks perspectives. CS is one of the safest of safe spaces out there.
Klean couldn’t cut it. :coffee:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:00 am
UNI88 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:31 am
You're avoiding the irony of Trip stating that he wants less government when nearly everything he advocates for requires more government. You're also avoiding CID's statement that groups like Trip's and the alt-right are growing like a virus.

My opinions are based on my experience and I might be a white boy from a small town in Iowa but I've made some sacrifices and done some "heavy lifting" in my time - from living in the Austin neighborhood (where I was a minority in one of Chicago's most violent neighborhoods) to working to help minorities and women on the south and west sides of Chicago find positions in the construction trades to spending 5 years earning substantially less to substitute teach in an economically depressed school district where the majority of the students were Latino. I've put my money and my time where my mouth is when it comes to helping the less fortunate.
Everything I advocate is less government. The problem is many see gov't as a physical entity, but you completely miss the philosophical point of democracy: for the people by the people. A few understand the underlying points I continually attempt to make but CS has become such a circle jerk of conservatism (and you're a conservative, just not as extreme) that people here miss the forest for the tree, over and over again.

When you increase representation, you take away power from the government and shift it towards the people. With less representation, all you do is give singular individuals more power over the people (aka. increase the size of government).

Look at how big the government is right now due to the flawed nature of our democracy. This wasn't an overnight thing. Our system is built to allow handfuls of people, corporations, and big money swaths of influence. The Constitution itself, in addition to later laws, promotes this gross misrepresentation and growth of government.

People paying taxes to give themselves infrastructure, education, and healthcare is not big government. People wanting more representation is not big government. People wanting expanded voting or civil rights is not big government

A sprawling military industrial complex is big government. Corporate handouts is big government. A legal system which costs individuals an arm and a leg is big government. A police force which steals and kills with no consequence is big government. Laws which suppress votes is big government. The electoral college is big government.

The more power you hand the people, the weaker and smaller government becomes. Take a look at Trump; the majority of Americans neither voted for him nor support his policies, yet his individual power is vast. This is big government. Or take a look at Mitch McConnell; he himself can withhold the ability for the Senate to vote. This is big government.

It's time to pull your head out of the sand and see why people all over the country are upset, on both sides.
Oui oui Monsieur Robespierre. Please don't report me to the Committee of Public Safety.

I understand that government that does what you advocate for is not big government but government that does what you oppose is big government. I also understand that I am a conservative. I'm also a liberal and a progressive. It's good to attempt to have balance and be open minded. You should try it some time.

Your last point is interesting because I'm not sure you understand or care about why people who oppose your future (i.e. the "other" side) are upset.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:12 pm 89 has to be trolling.

Bit of a difference teaching a kid about human rights and teaching a kid that others don't deserve your rights.
So you support those two women violating that boys freedom of expression b/c it doesn't jive with their beliefs?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:18 am
CID1990 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:01 am

Holy shit 88 bringing the PAIN lately
Nah, UNI's as misguided as the others who think teaching your kids to reject pleas for help is the same as teaching them to lift others.

Y'all can jerk off about how wrong I am, but he's making a false equivalency. The overarching theme of American history is on my side, so I'm ok being wrong on CS.com...a football site made up of white, older, conservative males who nearly have driven out anyone but...
You missed Uni's point. You can teach your children right from wrong but PUTTING them in situations where they can be abused or hurt is wrong. There's no wiggle room there. I took Lil CCU to a rally down the street after Floyds death b/c I knew it was in the middle of the day and that while some rednecks might drive by and honk, they weren't going to come in and start assaulting people or ripping up their signs. I can't say that about the reverse. I watched a few Tea Parties in 2009 devolve into chaos b/c Marxist, Liberals, etc... started pushing, shoving and shouting.

This is about exploiting your children for your political views. About putting them into a situation which could be bad for them. Parenting 101 - Don't do anything that could hurt your kid. It's pretty damn simple.

I, for one, try to make sure that if Lil CCU hears me bitch about a politician that I make her understand it is the policy (idea as she calls them) and not the person. But she hears that they aren't bad people. It's a difference of opinion. My wife is more liberal than I so she hears me play devils advocate a lot. :twocents:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:00 am
UNI88 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:31 am

You're avoiding the irony of Trip stating that he wants less government when nearly everything he advocates for requires more government. You're also avoiding CID's statement that groups like Trip's and the alt-right are growing like a virus.

My opinions are based on my experience and I might be a white boy from a small town in Iowa but I've made some sacrifices and done some "heavy lifting" in my time - from living in the Austin neighborhood (where I was a minority in one of Chicago's most violent neighborhoods) to working to help minorities and women on the south and west sides of Chicago find positions in the construction trades to spending 5 years earning substantially less to substitute teach in an economically depressed school district where the majority of the students were Latino. I've put my money and my time where my mouth is when it comes to helping the less fortunate.
Everything I advocate is less government. The problem is many see gov't as a physical entity, but you completely miss the philosophical point of democracy: for the people by the people. A few understand the underlying points I continually attempt to make but CS has become such a circle jerk of conservatism (and you're a conservative, just not as extreme) that people here miss the forest for the tree, over and over again.

When you increase representation, you take away power from the government and shift it towards the people. With less representation, all you do is give singular individuals more power over the people (aka. increase the size of government).

Look at how big the government is right now due to the flawed nature of our democracy. This wasn't an overnight thing. Our system is built to allow handfuls of people, corporations, and big money swaths of influence. The Constitution itself, in addition to later laws, promotes this gross misrepresentation and growth of government.

People paying taxes to give themselves infrastructure, education, and healthcare is not big government. People wanting more representation is not big government. People wanting expanded voting or civil rights is not big government

A sprawling military industrial complex is big government. Corporate handouts is big government. A legal system which costs individuals an arm and a leg is big government. A police force which steals and kills with no consequence is big government. Laws which suppress votes is big government. The electoral college is big government.

The more power you hand the people, the weaker and smaller government becomes. Take a look at Trump; the majority of Americans neither voted for him nor support his policies, yet his individual power is vast. This is big government. Or take a look at Mitch McConnell; he himself can withhold the ability for the Senate to vote. This is big government.

It's time to pull your head out of the sand and see why people all over the country are upset, on both sides.
So when you INCREASE the size of government via representation you are actually making it smaller? :suspicious: I think you're conflating power and representation with the role and functions of government. Government is more than Congress. I'm not sure i'm following your logic with the ROLE of Government vs its SIZE. I think we can do better with less Government functions and more Representation but I'm not sure how you connect the two.

Trip - one thing I have learned is that if you are constantly amazed that people don't understand your position - then it is your fault for not articulating it better.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:30 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:57 pm Tripz, your argument collapses of its own weight in the second paragraph of your JSO-length screed. In our republican form of government, a higher number of elected representatives just creates smaller representative districts. The degree of “representation” of each person remains the same. You say nothing about how packing more butts into legislative seats — which increases the cost of government right there— will reduce wasteful spending, cut programs, solve the entitlements problem, or control the military-industrial complex. You just assume that electing 10,000 kids who think like you will solve everything.

If you protest that that is not what you mean by “democracy,” why not create a 330-million-person “New England town meeting” where everybody gets one Internet vote on everything that comes down the pike? Totally inefficient, and you’ve just created a new Leviathan.

Try again.
You got so close to my point I thought you had it for a second.

More representation = larger inefficiency = smaller government. Things that really matter to the people get through.
Why would we want an inefficient government? If anything we'd want something smaller that runs like a Timex. Again - I think you are distorting Representation/Power with Role/Function of government.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:26 pm

It doesn't lack perspective. You're just intimidated b/c the majority of voices. You forget that yours, dbacks, skelly, UNI, me are in the minority here. Yet we come back, day after day, to defend our positions and even accept defeat and change our ideas based of discussions. I'm not sure what you're looking for, a 2-1 ratio of R and D but to think this just a circle jerk of Republicans is pretty ridiculous.

That's not to say that most people here aren't Republicans, or conservatives, but even among them you have divisions. ShitGrad and BDK are the alt-right Trump is my lord and savior. Most others like 89, AZ, SG, SD, CID, even Ivy, have the integrity to say they are conservative, agree with some of what Trump says and does but know and admit that he's a bellicose, bumbling buffoon who is only in the Oval Office b/c he was Clinton. NOT because he was some great politico or human. Simply - he was the less shittier of two options. :twocents:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

We have one woman born during WWII who posts once in a blue moon, no blacks since y'all drove 'em out, and the rest are white conservative men circle-jerking about issues from their limited perspective. We have what, one Hispanic member who regularly posts?

Of the left, it's 6-7 white dudes. I guess one is gay so that's something.

Do we have any members under 30 anymore? Anything from Gen Z?

But tell me more about how this board doesn't lack perspective. :lol:
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:18 am no blacks since y'all drove 'em out
They left because of you.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:18 am We have one woman born during WWII who posts once in a blue moon, no blacks since y'all drove 'em out, and the rest are white conservative men circle-jerking about issues from their limited perspective. We have what, one Hispanic member who regularly posts?

A group of men, women, whites, blacks, latinos, asians, straights, LGBTQs, etc. who all have similar opinions/ideologies is not necessarily a diverse group with perspective either.

This board lacks perspective if you only measure diversity by race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. I however think that while those things are easy to measure and play a huge role in who you are as a person they should not be the only definition of diversity. Who you are as a person (your experiences, your opinions and your perspectives) should also be considered. We may be mostly white and straight but we come from different places, experienced different things and have different opinions. This board is diverse in ways that you choose not to recognize because it doesn't fit your world view.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:31 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:18 am We have one woman born during WWII who posts once in a blue moon, no blacks since y'all drove 'em out, and the rest are white conservative men circle-jerking about issues from their limited perspective. We have what, one Hispanic member who regularly posts?

A group of men, women, whites, blacks, latinos, asians, straights, LGBTQs, etc. who all have similar opinions/ideologies is not necessarily a diverse group with perspective either.

This board lacks perspective if you only measure diversity by race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. I however think that while those things are easy to measure and play a huge role in who you are as a person they should not be the only definition of diversity. Who you are as a person (your experiences, your opinions and your perspectives) should also be considered. We may be mostly white and straight but we come from different places, experienced different things and have different opinions. This board is diverse in ways that you choose not to recognize because it doesn't fit your world view.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

There's that CS denial I've come to love.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Once again, Trip fails. We aren't the most diverse culturally, but people that only measure diversity of thought by race are dullards.
Last edited by 89Hen on Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:18 am We have one woman born during WWII who posts once in a blue moon, no blacks since y'all drove 'em out, and the rest are white conservative men circle-jerking about issues from their liu bitch about erso. We have what, one Hispanic member who regularly posts?

Do we have any members under 30 anymore? Anything from Gen Z?

Blacks were driven out? You can't say why the few blacks that did post here no longer do. Dal comes back occasionally. BlackFalkin only chimes in to be a pain in the ass. But you are assuming they were driven out b/c they were the minority voice. You have no proof for your statement.

You keep thinking diversity has to do with age and skin color. That's shallow. It is about experience, skill, perspectives. People being married, being the parent of an Autistic child, being gay, being the victim of rape, being a veteran, an inner city teacher, being divorced, suffering the lost of a young child. People are so much more than their sex and gender and age. I'm nothing like the stereotypical Millennial. NOTHING. Should I be defined by group characteristics or should I be defined by my character and actions? By my experiences?

And it's very rich to hear you bitch about people talking from there very limited perspective.

Honest question - what makes your perspective and opinion more valid than mine? I'm a straight, white married man with a daughter. I pay taxes like you do. I work hard like you do. I obey the law like you do. What makes you superior to me? You come off as you know better than us. You have the right ideas, if only we weren't too pig headed in our ways.

And don't tell me that you aren't saying it, because that's all what your holier than thou, sanctimonious post isn't about. You're trying to come at people here and tell us that WE are wrong and the problem and then you find it odd that the people you are condemning are fighting against it. You have said plenty on here that we don't know you. You don't know us.

Age, sex and gender are only a few facets of a person. Why aren't there younger members here? I don't know. Does CS promote itself? The majority of us are here b/c we were at another website and this one broke away. You could argue that we broke away and formed our own confederation (mods being the ruling government with very weak, centralized powers).

There's more to this site and it's members or lack of, than we're a bunch of middle-aged and old age white men. That outlook is very shallow. And kinda racist. :coffee:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:32 am

So nothing of substance to defend your position? C'mon trip. You are here battling your beliefs, which is good.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I'm not superior and we all come off as holier than thou. It's kinda the point of message boards (I hope you guys know how this works). I mean y'all sound holier than thou to me (you being the worst about it). We all have central beliefs and we debate them.

And of course I lack perspective. I didn't grow up poor or on a farm or black or an immigrant or in the military or gay or whatever, but I'm not the one denying we lack diversity around these parts. There's a predominant perspective on this board and it is what it is. You can either acknowledge it or not; in the end it doesn't matter because it's an inconsequential sports message board.

But you can't be surprised as the US changes around and the "extremes" take over when people act and vote for those "extremes" because of their experiences, most of which they don't share in any way with the people on this board. The fact that many here even call it "extreme" shows how out-of-sync you are with their perspectives.

edit - I'll leave with this mostly 'cause I work: the fact that we even have the ability to have political debates and ears to hear them (on work hours nonetheless) is a privilege that many Americans don't have.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:59 am I'm not superior and we all come off as holier than thou. It's kinda the point of message boards (I hope you guys know how this works). I mean y'all sound holier than thou to me (you being the worst about it). We all have central beliefs and we debate them.

And of course I lack perspective. I didn't grow up poor or on a farm or black or an immigrant or in the military or gay or whatever, but I'm not the one denying we lack diversity around these parts. There's a predominant perspective on this board and it is what it is. You can either acknowledge it or not; in the end it doesn't matter because it's an inconsequential sports message board.

But you can't be surprised as the US changes around and the "extremes" take over when people act and vote for those "extremes" because of their experiences, most of which they don't share in any way with the people on this board. The fact that many here even call it "extreme" shows how out-of-sync you are with their perspectives.

edit - I'll leave with this mostly 'cause I do in fact work: the fact that we even have the ability to have political debates and ears to hear them (on work hours nonetheless) is a privilege that many Americans don't have.
Your first point is valid - but that could be because these are just typed words. You can't exactly convey tone. I'm the worst about being holier than thou? Please. :tothehand: Tell me how often I come here and tell everyone they are wrong, their positions are old b/c they aren't of my generation, I can't wait for their generation to be dead and out of power, i'm right and then laugh at them. I'll wait. Do not confuse with being in the middle and trying to wade through the BS from both sides and interject some alternate perspective as being holier than thou.

As to your second point - you are denying diversity when you say we're just a bunch of old white men with a dash of arab, hispanic and gay. That's just intellectually dishonest. How do you not see that?

With regards to extremes, that goes back to perspective. The extremes are here, you and BDK are prime examples. But there's so much more middle than you give this site credit for. You simply refuse to acknowledge it. Or maybe you don't see it b/c you do have an extreme point of view regarding politics and what needs to be done in this country.

I'm going to ignore your "i do in fact work" statement b/c i'm not sure if you're joking on yourself or making a snide remark against everyone here this morning. Again...it's difficult to convey tone.

I'll leave YOU with this, Trip: You are 100% in the minority here for your extreme left views. And they are extreme. However, I would be willing to be that most of the people here that you regularly spar with respect your on some level for sticking around, sticking to your guns and debating your positions versus just walking away. It does take guts, in the face of overwhelming odds, to stand their and fight. :thumb:
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Women and Hispanics on a college football board? :?
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:22 am However, I would be willing to be that most of the people here that you regularly spar with respect your on some level for sticking around, sticking to your guns and debating your positions versus just walking away. It does take guts, in the face of overwhelming odds, to stand their and fight. :thumb:
It's more cute than respect.

*you
*there

;)
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:32 am

We all have different perspectives and blind spots in our perspectives. IMO, ctrl-lefters lack what I'll call "social science" perspective. Why "social science"? Because that seems to be the best way to describe something that includes most of the social sciences:

- History - if you really think things are so bad now then you lack historical perspective. We've never had it this good. And people who thinks that the US is as bad as Nazi Germany (Jemele Hill) really need to pick up a book. We're not hunting down and sending minorities and the disabled to concentration camps. Our troops are not marching across Mexico and Canada to impose our bigotry on them.

- Economics - ctrl-lefters advocate for socialism, a system that has failed repeatedly when attempted on a large scale. I've asked the question - why will it be different this time and have yet to see a reasonable response. Capitalism is the engine that pays for social welfare programs. Get rid of capitalism and we'll all be equal, equally miserable. Despite the growing gap between rich and poor, we've (including the poor) never had it so good. Should we burn it all down and risk losing all of the good things we have or should we build upon a strong foundation and make things better?

- Psychology - ctrl-lefters want to defund the police and break up the military industrial complex but they ignore the realty that there are bad people out there who will do us harm if left unchecked. The police protect us from threats at home and the military from threats abroad. Is reform needed? Yes. Do I think we should tear it all down and expose ourselves to danger while we rebuild something else? No.

The alt-right has their own blind spots with the social sciences as well.

FTR, Ivy might argue that I'm the most holier-than-thou poster :D
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:36 am FTR, Ivy might argue that I'm the most holier-than-thou poster :D
Since Cleets retired, you're in consideration. :kisswink:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:40 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:36 am FTR, Ivy might argue that I'm the most holier-than-thou poster :D
I don't think he can knock you off your high horse though. :)
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:41 am
89Hen wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:40 am

I don't think he can knock you off your high horse though. :)
Nobody can. :king:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:17 am
Ibanez wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:22 am However, I would be willing to be that most of the people here that you regularly spar with respect your on some level for sticking around, sticking to your guns and debating your positions versus just walking away. It does take guts, in the face of overwhelming odds, to stand their and fight. :thumb:
It's more cute than respect.

*you
*there

;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: Well played, sir :clap:.