2020 NBA Season

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: 2020 NBA Season

Post by Ivytalk »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:19 am
93henfan wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:37 pm Good. Hopefully they boycott the rest of this season, and next, and the one after that, and...

Not sure what they're trying to accomplish. If they influence people to comply with law enforcement instructions, it will be a success, as that would prevent over 99% of police shootings.
May not just be the NBLMA if this continues. MLS, MLB, NCAA and NFL could all join, if you look at the big picture of whats happening.
FIFY
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

This is all a cluster. As another poster noted, people who are genuinely racist probably aren't watching the NBA anyway, or most professional sports. What's it going to matter to them if sports are played or not? In addition, as 93 noted, sports are just entertainment - people generally don't like being preached to by entertainers. So the issue gets lost because rather than talking about the issue (i.e. racism) now we start talking about whether sports/entertainment should be leading the way and other issues rather than the root issue itself, racism. Sports get into trouble when they overestimate their importance to everyday life - while they're debating the importance of their stances and statements the rest of us go back and forth to work everyday. I said the same thing when Mark McGwire and the baseball folks felt empowered to tell us when it was okay to go back to work after 9/11 (as I would've told McGwire back then, I went back to work on 9/12, at least a good week or two before he felt it okay to go back to work). It's a problem we have when we place too much importance on people who's main talent is their craft, not their ability to craft political or social policy, and then ask them for something other than their specialized craft.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

I'm not watching the NBA anyway, I think LeBron over estimates his own self-importance. The selective outcries just don't move many people IMO.
Make Delaware Football Great Again
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

93henfan wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:21 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:19 am

May not just be the NBA if this continues. MLS, MLB, NCAA and NFL could all join, if you look at the big picture of whats happening.
That's fine. They all need a reality check into how much they (athletes) really matter in this world. They need to remember they're just entertainers, like circus clowns and hookers.
and that's all you see black athletes as - athletes within the context of their playing field/court. They aren't people to you or KKKJMU.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

bluehenbillk wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:13 am I'm not watching the NBA anyway, I think LeBron over estimates his own self-importance. The selective outcries just don't move many people IMO.
I think Lebron is documented to have donated/raised nearly a quarter billion dollars for various charities and no one seems to give a shit and call him selfish and over estimate self-importance.

Is he over estimating it when simply choosing to not play a game has caused so many racist fucks to get pissy? Certainly would seem his influence and sense of importance is justified in the amount of response his actions garner.

It really is interesting, this whole THAT'S NOT HOW YOU PROTEST narrative that is out there no matter how they protest.

Take a knee after talking with a military vet to make sure it's done in a respectful way? You're a son of a bitch piece of shit
Decide not to play in an act of solidarity with others in the league? Selfish racist fuck stains
Protest in public? Fuck you and all your damaging ways. Why can't you just protest peacefully
See the first option.

Tupac said it best, especially when it comes to that 17 year old wanna be cop

Cops give a damn about a negro
Pull the trigger kill a nigga he's a hero
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

clenz wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:59 am
93henfan wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:21 am

That's fine. They all need a reality check into how much they (athletes) really matter in this world. They need to remember they're just entertainers, like circus clowns and hookers.
and that's all you see black athletes as - athletes within the context of their playing field/court. They aren't people to you or KKKJMU.
No, they are people, of course. I just wonder what the hell they're trying to accomplish. Focus on the root cause: people not complying with police instructions. Solve that cultural problem and the issue goes right away.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

I love how a 17 year old who is 4 years away from being eligible to be a cop is a wannabe cop

I’m pretty sure he was also a wannabe fireman, astronaut, Navy SEAL, and NFL quarterback

BTW the psyche eval likely would have insured that the first one of those ^^^^ that he’d have been ineligible for was being a cop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

CID1990 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:13 am I love how a 17 year old who is 4 years away from being eligible to be a cop is a wannabe cop

I’m pretty sure he was also a wannabe fireman, astronaut, Navy SEAL, and NFL quarterback

BTW the psyche eval likely would have insured that the first one of those ^^^^ that he’d have been ineligible for was being a cop

He has literally been a junior cop and social media posts full of him dressing like a cop and wanting to be a cop
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

clenz wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:38 am
CID1990 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:13 am I love how a 17 year old who is 4 years away from being eligible to be a cop is a wannabe cop

He has literally been a junior cop and social media posts full of him dressing like a cop and wanting to be a cop
And then he got chased by a mob and defended himself.

His only mistake appears to be allowing himself to get separated from friendlies. You never want to allow a violent mob to single you out. Then you'll most likely have to defend yourself from a violent attack, which is exactly what happened.

Unfortunate.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

bluehenbillk wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:13 am I'm not watching the NBA anyway, I think LeBron over estimates his own self-importance. The selective outcries just don't move many people IMO.
The other thing is, it could have spread to other sports including the NCAA. Note that MLB and MLS boycotted games to support their friends and team-mates. Looks like the playoffs will resume today.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:17 am Looks like the playoffs will resume today.
Quitters.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

93henfan wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:08 am
No, they are people, of course. I just wonder what the hell they're trying to accomplish. Focus on the root cause: people not complying with police instructions. Solve that cultural problem and the issue goes right away.
The NBA players have a platform and they're using it. If they stop playing completely, they lose that platform. The one game boycott has increased the attention and discussion about the issues. To me that's a positive.

You are correct that we need to focus on the root causes but IMO there's a lot more to this than people not complying with the police. It's about more than the number or percentage of black people compared to white people who are shot by police. The shootings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, Jacob Blake, etc. are just the visible tip of the iceberg. I'm not black so my opinions are pure speculation but contributing factors could include: The percentage of blacks living below the poverty line is greater than the percentage of blacks in the population as a whole. Blacks have a history of being on the receiving end of abuse by those in power (law enforcement and politicians) and that has created a cultural memory that isn't just going to go away because of what the statistics say. Blacks are reportedly more likely to receive harsher prison sentences. There are probably a lot more grievances that need to be aired and dealt with.

clenz, I'm on record as stating that I had and continue to have no problem with Kap's kneeling or peaceful protesting. Rioting and looting is not protesting. Using intimidation, violence and brutality against others to protest police brutality is ironic at best. It also might end up being ironic that the rioting and looting scares suburbanites who worry about it spreading to their neighborhood (those videos from Seattle demanding people give up their money and houses) and who might otherwise be sympathetic to the cause into voting for Trump. This sh!t feeds right into the fear that he stokes and could increase his support with moderates who could swing the election.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

I agree, looting isn’t part of protesting.

Just like murder isn’t part of arresting.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

clenz wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:03 am I agree, looting isn’t part of protesting.

Just like murder isn’t part of arresting.
Sometimes it is. That’s usually the choice of the person being arrested. :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

clenz wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:07 am
I think Lebron is documented to have donated/raised nearly a quarter billion dollars for various charities and no one seems to give a shit and call him selfish and over estimate self-importance.

Is he over estimating it when simply choosing to not play a game has caused so many racist fucks to get pissy? Certainly would seem his influence and sense of importance is justified in the amount of response his actions garner.

It really is interesting, this whole THAT'S NOT HOW YOU PROTEST narrative that is out there no matter how they protest.

Take a knee after talking with a military vet to make sure it's done in a respectful way? You're a son of a bitch piece of shit
Decide not to play in an act of solidarity with others in the league? Selfish racist fuck stains
Protest in public? Fuck you and all your damaging ways. Why can't you just protest peacefully
See the first option.

Tupac said it best, especially when it comes to that 17 year old wanna be cop

Cops give a damn about a negro
Pull the trigger kill a nigga he's a hero
Did he donate that quarter of a billion to China?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

They are saying they want Black Lives to have the same protections as other Lives. It's not all about police shootings. The Central Park 5 is a well known instance, and Donald Trump still believes they are responsible.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:28 am

They are saying they want Black Lives to have the same protections as other Lives. It's not all about police shootings. The Central Park 5 is a well known instance, and Donald Trump still believes they are responsible.
They do have the same protections already. Is there some sort of separate laws for black people in the US that I am unaware of?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

93henfan wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:39 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:28 am

They do have the same protections already. Is there some sort of separate laws for black people in the US that I am unaware of?
On paper they do, but many are saying it's not what happens in real life situations.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:42 am
93henfan wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:39 am

On paper they do, but many are saying it's not what happens in real life situations.
The bottom line is that if you comply, you don't have an issue. White people who don't comply get shot too, roughly twice as many as black people in fact.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

93henfan wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:58 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:42 am

The bottom line is that if you comply, you don't have an issue. White people who don't comply get shot too.
The Central Park 5, they complied and got their butts thrown in prison, until DNA and the actual person that committed the crime confessed.

Ahmaud Arberry, he was probably getting shot no matter what.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:03 pm
The Central Park 5, they complied and got their butts thrown in prison, until DNA and the actual person that committed the crime confessed.

The first one is on the criminal justice system and the second one is on some vigilantes. Neither concerned police use of force.

In addition, the criminal justice system and vigilantes do disservice to white people as well.

Again, I'm not seeing why blacks are being treated any differently. In an imperfect world such as this one, everyone gets fucked from time to time, unfortunately.

No need to pander to one group who wants to cry constantly (unless you're trying to get their vote of course).
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

93henfan wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:38 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:17 am Looks like the playoffs will resume today.
Quitters.
Yep. How long did that "boycott" last? 24 hrs? :lol: Those clowns care too much about their 7 to 8 figure salaries..And they probably realized that 90+% of the country could care less if they boycotted or not..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

93henfan wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:09 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:03 pm

The first one is on the criminal justice system and the second one is on some vigilantes. Neither concerned police use of force.

In addition, the criminal justice system and vigilantes do disservice to white people as well.

Again, I'm not seeing why blacks are being treated any differently. In an imperfect world such as this one, everyone gets fucked from time to time, unfortunately.

No need to pander to one group who wants to cry constantly (unless you're trying to get their vote of course).
Reform of the criminal justice system is one of the reasons listed, that the NBA players walked off last night.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:24 pm
93henfan wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:38 am

Quitters.
Yep. How long did that "boycott" last? 24 hrs? :lol: Those clowns care too much about their 7 to 8 figure salaries..And they probably realized that 90+% of the country could care less if they boycotted or not..
You and a few million other people heard about it. It led to MLS and MLB games being boycotted with Clayton Kershaw standing with Mookie Betts during the interview. Which led to millions more hearing about it.

You have been complaining about blacks and their violence after protest, now you are bitching about a peaceful protest.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:34 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:24 pm
You and a few million other people heard about it. It led to MLS and MLB games being boycotted with Clayton Kershaw standing with Mookie Betts during the interview. Which led to millions more hearing about it.

You have been complaining about blacks and their violence after protest, now you are bitching about a peaceful protest.
And lol at what they're protesting: A violent felon, with a felony warrant for his arrest, who was resisting police, was armed with a knife, and was shot.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.