Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:13 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:43 am

This post right here shows you need to stay out of the COVID discussion. The context is in the statement.

It's saying that if you are healthy, you have a very slim chance of dying from COVID.

Why do you think I mentioned previously that I would worry more about those with high blood pressure or diabetes?

COVID obviously makes certain conditions worse.

The CDC (Q) statement:

Taken out of context to confirm the Covid - is no big deal - mindset.

Of course Covid is more dangerous with pre-existing conditions.

Read the Forbes article for more information.
Cripes dude. I read your article and it in no way changes what I said or my post stated.

In fact it only affirmed what I have said multiple times on this thread. It's not my issue if you keep looking at everything like it's a conspiracy.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:38 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:05 am

The problem is nobody can make anything of the stat without knowing the average active case rate.

How are you going to know if the value is derived from more testing or if there is an actual increase in the percentage of active cases?

It's a meaningless stat. So as said, it's used for fear mongering.
There is no way to be more accurate than comparing actual counts. Number of test included in any calculation is meaningless unless you add in the number of people tested, being many people being test 2-3 times or more. If a person is tested 3 times and is positive once, does that count as 1 out of 3 people tested are positive? The average person on the street is not being tested unless they have symptoms or were near a person that tested positive. The other test are job related, and even that is based on being in the same area as a positive test. There are 10x more people recovered tested cases in Minnesota, than we have active tested cases. Each recovered person may have been tested twice.
Why can't they count people who have been tested previously? The test was taken and a person turned up negative, then they are not active.

Maybe I'm missing something, but active cases without knowing total tests means nothing.

It's like saying NDSU and UNI scored 38 points in a game. Well, who won? Doesn't matter, there were 38 points scored.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:30 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:38 am

There is no way to be more accurate than comparing actual counts. Number of test included in any calculation is meaningless unless you add in the number of people tested, being many people being test 2-3 times or more. If a person is tested 3 times and is positive once, does that count as 1 out of 3 people tested are positive? The average person on the street is not being tested unless they have symptoms or were near a person that tested positive. The other test are job related, and even that is based on being in the same area as a positive test. There are 10x more people recovered tested cases in Minnesota, than we have active tested cases. Each recovered person may have been tested twice.
Why can't they count people who have been tested previously? The test was taken and a person turned up negative, then they are not active.

Maybe I'm missing something, but active cases without knowing total tests means nothing.

It's like saying NDSU and UNI scored 38 points in a game. Well, who won? Doesn't matter, there were 38 points scored.
I'm not saying they can't count them, I'm saying the NDSU vs UNI game should not count as 3 games when doing percentages. Test numbers do not tell you how many people were tested. They tell how many test were administered. A true percentage would be the number of people tested. Many people count as 1 or more positive test when they have covid and 1 negative test when they are recovered.
Last edited by Gil Dobie on Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:38 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:30 pm

Left you speechless I see. :lol:

Nate Silver doesn't think case counts are worth much either, although he goes into more technical reasons, but same gist.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/co ... aningless/
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:44 pm

Nate Silver doesn't think case counts are worth much either, although he goes into more technical reasons, but same gist.

You are not getting what I was talking about. I'm not talking total case counts, I'm talking number of active cases, as I've said before.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:44 pm

I'm not saying they can't count them, I'm saying the NDSU vs UNI game should not count as 3 games when doing percentages. Test numbers do not tell you how many people were tested. They tell how many test were administered. A true percentage would be the number of people tested. Many people count as 1 or more positive test when they have covid and 1 negative test when they are recovered.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Meanwhile here in CA, new daily positives are almost down to pre-blm protest/riot numbers, and less than 1k of the nearly 13k deaths are under the age of 50.

Open everything back up already. :coffee:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:18 pm Meanwhile here in CA, new daily positives are almost down to pre-blm protest/riot numbers, and less than 1k of the nearly 13k deaths are under the age of 50.

Dems biggest fear. COVID was going to die down early enough to take mail in voting off the table.

Now to stop their fear mongering.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:26 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:13 am

Taken out of context to confirm the Covid - is no big deal - mindset.

Of course Covid is more dangerous with pre-existing conditions.

Read the Forbes article for more information.
Cripes dude. I read your article and it in no way changes what I said or my post stated.

In fact it only affirmed what I have said multiple times on this thread. It's not my issue if you keep looking at everything like it's a conspiracy.
The conspiracy theory supported and intended by the meme is Covid ain’t that bad. That’s how everyone who runs with it is thinking (Nice to see we’re still on the “it’s the flu” thing all these months later.).

Hospitals manipulating death certificates to increase funding is also a conspiracy theory. Evidence?

“Pssst...the more Covid related deaths, the greater the funding.” 6% related solely to Covid doesn’t get you much funding.

Regardless, it was taken out of context and there are ample sources out there now thoroughly debunking it.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:10 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:26 pm

The conspiracy theory supported and intended by the meme is Covid ain’t that bad. That’s how everyone who runs with it is thinking (Nice to see we’re still on the “it’s the flu” thing all these months later.).

Hospitals manipulating death certificates to increase funding is also a conspiracy theory. Evidence?

“Pssst...the more Covid related deaths, the greater the funding.” 6% related solely to Covid doesn’t get you much funding.

Regardless, it was taken out of context and there are ample sources out there now thoroughly debunking it.
The only thing being taken out of context is the 6% and that is due to reading comprehension. The CDC statement clearly states that outside of the 6%, comorbidities play a large factor.

All this "debunking" is people actually stating what was clearly said. There was no conspiracy.

As to incentivizing hospitals and clinics, that has clearly happened, but was expected. COVID coding allows for testing to be more fully covered. How do you think COVID testing gets covered?

I should have been more clear on this aspect though. Coding doesn't change death rates, just insurance payments.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:24 am
kalm wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:10 am

The only thing being taken out of context is the 6% and that is due to reading comprehension. The CDC statement clearly states that outside of the 6%, comorbidities play a large factor.

All this "debunking" is people actually stating what was clearly said. There was no conspiracy.

As to incentivizing hospitals and clinics, that has clearly happened, but was expected. COVID coding allows for testing to be more fully covered. How do you think COVID testing gets covered?

I should have been more clear on this aspect though. Coding doesn't change death rates, just insurance payments.
So these people with comorbidities would have died on the same timeline away?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:31 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:24 am

So these people with comorbidities would have died on the same timeline away?
That's not what I'm saying, nor did the CDC statement say that.

The lesson to take home is that if you are young and don't have any comorbidities, chances are very high that COVID won't be much of an issue for you.

You might have missed my post way back when I commented on what this pandemic would have been like back in 2009. I brought that up because America sure hasn't gotten in better shape healthwise since then.

That comment was aimed at how comorbidities play a large factor. I can't say with certainty, but it should be a given that COVID accelerated their deaths.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Grandson is starting all day, 5 days a week kindergarten. We are helping the parents out by bringing him to school and picking him up. Temps and masks to enter the building, so that helps, but can you keep a mask on a 5 year-old for an entire day of classes. We are happy for him, he will be around his classmates and not home schooling. Selling the lake home 50 miles away was the best thing we could have done. No Leaves this fall either Flaggy.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:42 pm Grandson is starting all day, 5 days a week kindergarten. We are helping the parents out by bringing him to school and picking him up. Temps and masks to enter the building, so that helps, but can you keep a mask on a 5 year-old for an entire day of classes. We are happy for him, he will be around his classmates and not home schooling. Selling the lake home 50 miles away was the best thing we could have done. No Leaves this fall either Flaggy.
:lol: :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

10,000 will be allowed in the Fargodome for the UCA game. Mask and temp to enter.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Some potential good news...

Cool tech story and suggests how Covid takes over the body. The bradykinin hypotheses.

If you haven’t already been taking Vitamin D, this confirms that we should all be loading up. Even if you’re getting sunlight.

https://medium.com/m/global-identity?re ... cb8eba9d63
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:18 pm Meanwhile here in CA, new daily positives are almost down to pre-blm protest/riot numbers, and less than 1k of the nearly 13k deaths are under the age of 50.

I'm sure they will open up for the polls in November.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:41 am If you haven’t already been taking Vitamin D, this confirms that we should all be loading up. Even if you’re getting sunlight.
:thumb: It's the only supplement I take. Last bloodwork showed I was deficient.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:42 pm Grandson is starting all day, 5 days a week kindergarten. We are helping the parents out by bringing him to school and picking him up. Temps and masks to enter the building, so that helps, but can you keep a mask on a 5 year-old for an entire day of classes. We are happy for him, he will be around his classmates and not home schooling. Selling the lake home 50 miles away was the best thing we could have done. No Leaves this fall either Flaggy.
To maintain your PTSD:

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

CAA Flagship wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:43 am
To maintain your PTSD:

:lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:43 am

I'm sure they will open up for the polls in November.
Just wear a mask. :thumb:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Don't know if this is true, but it was seen on the internet

Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

If they have a Q in their Twitter handle, you can pretty much assume they're morons.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Same as having three consecutive consonants in their screen names.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Meanwhile in Australia...

https://au.news.yahoo.com/pregnant-covi ... 57423.html
A 28-year-old pregnant Victorian woman has been arrested after she allegedly organised a protest event for Saturday that breaches the government’s coronavirus restrictions.

Zoe Buhler uploaded a live Facebook video on Wednesday afternoon as Victoria police entered her home in Miners Rest, north of Ballarat, with an arrest warrant.

The mum, with the Facebook name Zoe Lee, can be seen in her pyjamas with her two children and partner watching on. Police explain to Ms Buhler she is being placed under arrest for incitement and she is handcuffed.