2020 Official Baseball Season Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Delaware

Re: 2020 Official Baseball Season Thread

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

JoltinJoe wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:51 pm
SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:13 pm

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Now THAT was funny.
MLB has announced that Rays manager Kevin Cash will be suspended for 10 games due to his hissy fit during last night's post-game press conference and, when he returns, he is to be addressed as "Karen Cash" for the remainder of the 2020 season.
I have to admit - I never really liked Cash and don't like how he handled that whole thing.
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:13 pm
JoltinJoe wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:51 pm

MLB has announced that Rays manager Kevin Cash will be suspended for 10 games due to his hissy fit during last night's post-game press conference and, when he returns, he is to be addressed as "Karen Cash" for the remainder of the 2020 season.
I have to admit - I never really liked Cash and don't like how he handled that whole thing.
Cash has always been a jerk and he is probably the main reason why so many fanbases don't like the Rays. He shoots his mouth too often, and it ticks people off. He has some special issues with the Yankees, though, going back to the three weeks he spent with the 2009 Yankees. Due to his injuries, he was called up in May and appeared in a few games before being optioned to the minors when Posada returned.

Rumors were that Girardi was apparently not that fond of Cash, and Cash wasn't well liked in the clubhouse. I don't know what the issue was, but I remember one Yankee reporter quipping that Cash made Arod seem popular in the clubhouse. After being sent to the minors, Cash never appeared again in a game for the Yankees. There has been some discussion that Cash was unhappy with whatever he received from the World Series bonus money, but I'm not sure what he received. This was just some stuff that I've read in blogs.

Whatever the reason, Cash has, time and again, had his pitchers throw at the Yankees and everyone in New York seems convinced it's because of something that happened in 2009. Last night, when the shoe was on the other foot, everyone got to see the Kevin Cash that everyone knows and hates.

Seriously, if Aaron Boone had gone off like that after a game, he would have been relieved of his duties swiftly. That was why you could see Boone, literally, biting his lip last night as he spoke. But the Rays are a bit of an outlaw organization. I doubt there will be any consequences for Cash from his ownership.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

JoltinJoe wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:52 am
But the guys you are talking about are guys like Andrew Kittredge, Chaz Roe, Jalen Beeks, and Yonny Chirinos. :lol:
By the way, when the Yankees were in Tampa last week, Tyler Wade of the Yankees came to the plate to face Chaz Roe.

It was Roe v. Wade. :lol:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Tom Seaver dies at 75 of complications of Lyme disease and dementia.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

Despite Kevin Cash, the Rays are an easy team to root for. They have no real stars, no prima donnas, and they play team baseball better than anyone else in the league. Despite having the lowest payroll in MLB, they are competitive. Whoever is in charge of pitcher development with that organization is the best in baseball. You have a guy like Mike Brosseau - he worked his way up through the minor leagues as an undrafted free agent and has been a solid contributor since making the majors. Last night, a thug threw a 101 MPH fastball at his head. He said nothing about it to the press and simply answered by hitting two long balls in tonight's game. That is something to root for.

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk

Last edited by SunCoastBlueHen on Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:50 pm Despite Kevin Cash, the Rays are an easy to root for. They have no real stars, no prima donnas, and they play team baseball better than anyone else in the league. Despite having the lowest payroll in MLB, they are competitive. Whoever is in charge of pitcher development with that organization is the best in baseball. You have a guy like Mike Brosseau - he worked his way up through the minor leagues as an undrafted free agent and has been a solid contributor since making the majors. Last night, a thug threw a 101 MPH fastball at his head. He said nothing about it to the press and simply answered by hitting two long balls in tonight's game. That is something to root for.

Actually, they act like a bunch of prima donnas, routinely plucking other teams and then whining like little girls when it happens to them.

Ask any fanbase in the AL East which team in the AL they dislike the most, and it's the Rays. As passionate as the Yankees-Sox rivalry is, the thing about both fanbases is that they will tell you that the HATE the Rays more -- because they are bush-league headhunters.

Best in baseball? They just came off the best three-week period in their history, and they're chirping about how they are dominating other teams. What a bunch of tools.

Take off your Rays-colored glasses. It's a classless organization. It's amazing how disliked they are. I mean, usually, to be as disliked as the Rays are, it's because the team is wildly successful. But the Rays are one of the sorriest franchises in the game -- and hated too.

And how do you tolerate those broadcast teams? The TV and radio guys are the worst in baseball. Intolerable. Every now and then, I will tune in to Sirius to hear the Rays' broadcast, or to MLB.tv. These guys are just Awful -- with a capital A.

But the funniest thing about the Rays is that the Yankees are more popular in Tampa than the Rays are. I mean, it must really be frustrating for the Rays to know that a divisional opponent is more popular than they are in their alleged home market.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

Alright, Joe, there was a lot of bullshit in that post. Seemed to go back to aimless bitterness to me. Despite their asshole manager, I never detected any kind of grandiosity from the Rays players. You sound like a sore loser.

I think teams dislike the Rays because they have managed to accomplish what other team can't at a fraction of the payroll.

JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:24 pm Alright, Joe, there was a lot of bullshit in that post. Seemed to go back to aimless bitterness to me. Despite their asshole manager, I never detected any kind of grandiosity from the Rays players. You sound like a sore loser.

The Yankees have a winning percentage of over .600 against the Rays. Bitterness? Playing the Rays is like the Elephant in the middle of the Bingo board. Sore loser? We wipe the floor with the Rays. I mean, how many times have the Rays ever finished ahead of the Yankees in the standings. Twice in nearly a quarter of a century?

Are you reading the quotes coming out of that locker room? It is a total bush organization that no one outside of three people in Tampa like.

One year, when we only get to play the Rays 10 times, they happen to get the Yankees when half the team is hurt, and we have to listen to a bunch of punks tell us how great they are? If the Yankees played the Rays the full 18 this year, this thing would even up quickly. Remember the Yankees finished seven games ahead of the Rays last year? That's because the Yankees are better.

Tell your guys to clean up their act. Stop talking like they've won something when you haven't won any thing yet.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

Recent history is the cause of your bitterness. You find yourself in second place to a team with a small fraction of your payroll. That's a tough pill to swallow.

BTW, Chapman is a thug. He's always been a thug and denying that just shows your pinstriped blindness.

JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:38 pm Recent history is the cause of your bitterness. You find yourself in second place to a team with a small fraction of your payroll. That's a tough pill to swallow.

BTW, Chapman is a thug. He's always been a thug and denying that just shows your pinstriped blindness.

Recent history? You are talking about a handful of games in the middle of a 60-game season, during which the Yankees were missing half of their starters. As Joe Biden would say, "Come on, man."

You know, I was listening the Rays' version of this on MLB.tv.

"This was settled when Tanaka got Wendle with a breaking ball in the thigh. But then Chapman threw over Brosseau's head in the 9th."

Wait! What about the fastball that Cody Reed threw at DJ LeMahieu's head in the 8th?

In the Rays' fairytale version of events, it's like the beanball at LeMahieu's head never happened.

And then we get Cash crying like a little bitch after the game, and that little punk Brosseau saying, that "we pretty much let everything go after Joey took the message for us and did it like a man, kind of just took it and carried on with the day."

WAIT a minute? In the 8th inning, Cody Reed lasered at beanball at the head of one of the best players in baseball, LeMahieu. But in the Rays' version of events, that never happened.

Again. How many times have those little punk pitchers from Tampa have head-hunted LeMahieu the past two seasons?

Let's talk about the problem: the number of times that the Rays pitchers target LeMahieu. And then Cash says that's ok the Rays because "we are trying to win ballgames." So it's ok when the Rays do it, because they are trying to win games. But the Yankees are "poorly coached" and exercising "poor judgment."

It's like state-controlled news on the Tampa broadcasts.

The Rays are disgraceful, classless organization. It starts with Cash, but it doesn't end there. These guys come into each of the other AL East media markets a few times a year, and leave a trail of quotes that cause the fan bases of the other teams to just shake their heads in disbelief.

I don't think Chapman threw that pitch with any intent. It would have been stupid to bring the tying run to the plate in the 9th. If you are going to send a message, that was not the situation. The Yankees needed that win. In his prior appearance, Chapman blew a save by allowing a walk-off homer. But you think he was willing to bring the tying run to the plate, having just surrendered a walk-off homer? Maybe we do need to get the Rays out of Tampa, just to get rid off an idiotic fan base.

Far more likely, Chapman lost control when he tried to let loose on a 101-mph pitch. Chapman has missed a lot of the season, and this was just his third appearance. He has been atrocious in his first two appearances, all over the place wild, and completely unable to spot his fastball.

And if you do a slo-mo replay, you'll see that Chapman released the ball early, before his normal release point -- which is usually a sign of trying to load up early and overpower a fastball. As David Cone said after the broadcast, "I don't know what's in Chapman's head" but that it is hard to throw with a lot of accuracy when you release early. So if he was targeting Brosseau, "that pitch could have easily sailed away from Brosseau as at him."

So even the video doesn't support intent. Just bad mechanics.

In the end, though, Cash goes on a post-game tirade that would get a guy fired by almost any other management in baseball. I can say with 100% assurance that if Boone ever did anything like that, he would be fired, immediately.

But there will be zero repercussions for Cash from Rays' management. That's the organization you support. :ohno: That's the reason why so many baseball fans don't like the Rays. You'd think baseball fans would see the Rays as some kind of Cinderella story.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

Well, the Yankees took one out of three in the Bronx. With the way things are going, they have to be pleased with that.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Joe is turning into the JSO of the baseball thread. He has TBDS bad.

Reason why Tampa has more Yankee fans than Rays fans? Because of all those NY and NJ retirees packing the over-55 communities for lower taxes, better health care, better weather, and blue-plate specials at 5p.m.

Tampa-St. Pete Metroplex: future home of Mr. and Mrs. JoltinJoe.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:51 am Well, the Yankees took one out of three in the Bronx. With the way things are going, they have to be pleased with that.
Didn't realize until I looked at the standings, but Tampa is 4.5 games up on the Bronx Bombers.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Phils win again! Sweep Nats on Bohm sac fly in 10th!
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

Ivytalk wrote:Phils win again! Sweep Nats on Bohm sac fly in 10th!
The keep winning, even with Harper not hitting a lick.

AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Mike Trout became the youngest player to hit 300 HR's and have 200 stolen bases. Playing with the Angels, I'd almost forgotten he was around.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

AshevilleApp wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:49 pm Mike Trout became the youngest player to hit 300 HR's and have 200 stolen bases. Playing with the Angels, I'd almost forgotten he was around.
Just another day at the office for Trout.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:10 pm
AshevilleApp wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:49 pm Mike Trout became the youngest player to hit 300 HR's and have 200 stolen bases. Playing with the Angels, I'd almost forgotten he was around.
Just another day at the office for Trout.
Yup, playing great baseball in total obscurity. That's going to be Trout's legacy, maybe the best baseball player no one ever saw. Hopefully he can play in the post season for more than just those 3 games he played in back in 2014. Not a sure thing, though, with the Angels still being the Angels.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

I now find myself rooting for the Yankees. The third place (and fading) club can still play the role of spoilers against the surging Blue Jays.

JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:54 pm I now find myself rooting for the Yankees. The third place (and fading) club can still play the role of spoilers against the surging Blue Jays.

Like most people in Tampa, you root for the Yankees?

It's sad being in Tampa when the town's favorite team leaves every March, isn't it?

Got an email from a Sox fan who was joking about how the Rays have never won a thing and people still hate them.

He called the Rays the "under-douches." :lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

JoltinJoe wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:05 pm
SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:54 pm I now find myself rooting for the Yankees. The third place (and fading) club can still play the role of spoilers against the surging Blue Jays.

It's sad being in Tampa when the town's favorite team leaves every March, isn't it?

Got an email from a Sox fan who was joking about how the Rays have never won a thing and people still hate them.

The irony of a Red Sox or Yankees fan calling anyone else a douche ... :rofl:
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

JoltinJoe wrote:

He called the Rays the "under-douches." Image
I agree that there are way too many people from New York and Boston in this area, but I guess it is hard to blame them for escaping those shitholes.

I also understand the animosity toward the Rays by fans of those two cities. When you are a big market club with a huge payroll and you are looking up at the small market Rays, it is bound to create some bitterness. That's just human nature.

JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:38 pm
JoltinJoe wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:05 pm

Baseball is all about the Yankees, Sox, and Dodgers. They are the Great Trinity of Baseball.

All other lesser franchises exist for no reason other to give glory to the Great Trinity.

So if we call you a douche, then you're a douche. :lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

JoltinJoe wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:52 am
UNI88 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:38 pm
Baseball is all about the Yankees, Sox, and Dodgers. They are the Great Trinity of Baseball.

All other lesser franchises exist for no reason other to give glory to the Great Trinity.

So if we call you a douche, then you're a douche. :lol:
Have you been getting into JSO's stash of psychodelics? You're living in the bubble that is NYC thinking that the world revolves around you when the rest of the country is really laughing at you. The Yankees are the Dallas Cowboys of baseball and the Red Sox were the east coast version of the Cubs until 2004 - loveable losers playing in a great stadium. Who cares about the Dodgers?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm