SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:13 am
SDHornet wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:56 am

I'm guessing that stat was rushed by the B10 as it is fighting tooth and nail against playing football. Not surprised it's more voodoo math used to justify shutdowns/lockdowns.

Open everything back up. :coffee:
I think the Big 10 is actually trying to find a way to get back into the college football season (belief is they thought the other P5's would go along with them, but are now worried that they didn't and the Big 10 only has the Pac 12 for company), but are struggling on how not to make it look like Trump talked them into it. As with most things Trump, the moment he says one thing, there's an entrenched opposition that will pick the other side, no matter what the other side is.
Irony at its finest. Just goes to show their whole FB shutdown was political. I hope they don't play and get no monies from their TV and CFP deals. P12 is already dead, but that would set the B10 back compared to the SEC quite a bit.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:16 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:13 am

I think the Big 10 is actually trying to find a way to get back into the college football season (belief is they thought the other P5's would go along with them, but are now worried that they didn't and the Big 10 only has the Pac 12 for company), but are struggling on how not to make it look like Trump talked them into it. As with most things Trump, the moment he says one thing, there's an entrenched opposition that will pick the other side, no matter what the other side is.
Irony at its finest. Just goes to show their whole FB shutdown was political. I hope they don't play and get no monies from their TV and CFP deals. P12 is already dead, but that would set the B10 back compared to the SEC quite a bit.
I don't doubt that SEC recruiters were instantly talking to HS prospects the moment the Big 10 said they weren't playing. That's something that could work for years in the recruiting wars ("hey, why go Big 10, you never know when they'll just cancel the season on you").
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:20 am

I don't doubt that SEC recruiters were instantly talking to HS prospects the moment the Big 10 said they weren't playing. That's something that could work for years in the recruiting wars ("hey, why go Big 10, you never know when they'll just cancel the season on you").
:nod:

Justin Fields is probably regretting transferring from Georgia right about now.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

I've seen concern about that from a lot of B10 fans.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

B12 is playing FB. Last week Iowa State (ISU) said they were going to allow 25,000 fans in their 61,500 capacity stadium. No tailgating. Masks required at all times in the stadium. A couple days later the ISU president got cold feet and said no fans for football. So ISU has now gone from a $17.5 million athletic dept. deficit to a $30 million.

ISU AD announces today that additional pay cuts being explored in addition to the ones already in place, reviewing which sports to cut (not said but speculation is gymnastics and wrestling), and closing CY Stephens Auditorium. CY Stephens is where concerts, plays, performances, etc. are held. Athletic dept. subsidizes it around $1 million per year plus it needs about $25-50 million in upgrades.

The CY Stephens closure will be interesting. That will likely hit home harder with the shutdown crowd.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

HI54UNI wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:09 am

Maryland's 2021 recruiting class is really good, but they don't have much to offer in 2020, so I was glad when they pulled the plug. :lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

HI54UNI wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:26 am B12 is playing FB. Last week Iowa State (ISU) said they were going to allow 25,000 fans in their 61,500 capacity stadium. No tailgating. Masks required at all times in the stadium. A couple days later the ISU president got cold feet and said no fans for football. So ISU has now gone from a $17.5 million athletic dept. deficit to a $30 million.

ISU AD announces today that additional pay cuts being explored in addition to the ones already in place, reviewing which sports to cut (not said but speculation is gymnastics and wrestling), and closing CY Stephens Auditorium. CY Stephens is where concerts, plays, performances, etc. are held. Athletic dept. subsidizes it around $1 million per year plus it needs about $25-50 million in upgrades.

The CY Stephens closure will be interesting. That will likely hit home harder with the shutdown crowd.
ISU cutting wrestling? That's sacrilege!
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

89Hen wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:23 am
HI54UNI wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:09 am

Maryland's 2021 recruiting class is really good, but they don't have much to offer in 2020, so I was glad when they pulled the plug. :lol:
I was listening to a Clay Travis clip regarding the B10 possibly playing this fall, and he said, "well it would probably be best for the B10 if Rutgers and Maryland didn't play this fall'" :lol:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

These people know Trump isn't the guy actually making the vaccine, right? :lol:

Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:20 pm These people know Trump isn't the guy actually making the vaccine, right? :lol:

Anti-vaxxers. :ohno:
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

How horrible are you if you're less trusted than Trump? :ohno:

:lol:
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:22 pm
Interesting. Scary, but probably some truth in there.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:20 pm These people know Trump isn't the guy actually making the vaccine, right? :lol:

All she's saying is that she's not going to take Trump's word for it and will listen to medical experts. That seems pretty reasonable. Trump does pretty much lie every time he opens his mouth. Why would any sane person take his word for anything?
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Baldy wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:39 am Image

I think the "horrible" aspect of the situation is that a greater percentage of the people trust Trump on ANYTHING more than they trust the media.
Could I ever be a star?

Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

kalm wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:06 pm
I wonder if we'll discuss why males from children to the elderly are more likely to die?
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:41 pm

I wonder if we'll discuss why males from children to the elderly are more likely to die?
Sure. Do go on.
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

JohnStOnge wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:17 pm

I think the "horrible" aspect of the situation is that a greater percentage of the people trust Trump on ANYTHING more than they trust the media.
It's utterly shocking how bad the media has gotten, isn't it? :ohno:
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

Why only one millennia, though?

Damn evolution.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Baldy wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:25 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:17 pm

No. What's shocking and disturbing is the extent to which people have been successful in convincing the public not to trust the media so that they can get away with crap when the media call them on it. In this case we are talking about information about a pandemic. The media have been generally accurate. I'm sure they've made some mistakes (though I can't think of any off the top of my head). But the basic nature of the situation has been accurately reported.

I'm talking about the mainstream media now. Not the right wing media sources.
Could I ever be a star?

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Baldy wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:25 pm It's utterly shocking how bad the media has gotten, isn't it? :ohno:
No. What's shocking and disturbing is the extent to which people have been successful in convincing the public not to trust the media so that they can get away with crap when the media call them on it. In this case we are talking about information about a pandemic. The media have been generally accurate. I'm sure they've made some mistakes (though I can't think of any off the top of my head). But the basic nature of the situation has been accurately reported.

It doesn’t take a lot of convincing for people to not trust the media

In fact it takes zero convincing

What would take convincing is to get someone to distrust an outlet that plays to their biases
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

BTW those numbers on the CDC illustrate one of the problems created by having Trump as President. The CDC is the finest epidemiology and disease control entity in the world. But its credibility has been compromised by Trump. He's pressured it to do things it does not want to do and also undercut as well as interfered with its guidance. We'd be a lot better off right now if Trump had pretty much stayed out of things and just let the people responsible for handling this sort of thing do their jobs.
Could I ever be a star?

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:

The CDC is the finest epidemiology and disease control entity in the world.
That’s odd because during the hand wringing in May, I heard several people say that it was actually the WHO
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:32 pm
Baldy wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:25 pm

The media has been their own worst enemy. In the pursuit of chasing ratings they've done more on their own to undermine their credibility than anything Trump could ever have done. Trump is a great scapegoat, because he's so polarizing and such a classless buffoon, but the shift in journalism has been going on for awhile now and is far more responsible for their own loss in credibility than the nut in the White House.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation