UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by UNI88 »

∞∞∞ wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:45 am
UNI88 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:29 am
You're comparing New York to Florida not Wyoming. Yes NYC is an an urban center with lots of international travel but Miami is no slouch in that regard. Florida's other large cities (Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando) dwarf New York's - Orlando isn't nearly as dense but I believe it has more visitors than NYC. Florida and New York are similar in total population and geographic size. Stop trying to rationalize and absolve Cuomo (and other Democrat's) of his mistakes while holding Republicans responsible (Trump, DeSantis, etc.). Everyone has made mistakes and a huge part of the problem is too many people want to blame the other side rather than working together to resolve this.
Really latching on to the density thing there instead of everything else, but we can play. NYC is the densest city in the United States, 3x denser than the densest in Florida (Tampa Bay), and the 8x more populous than the most populous in Florida (Jacksonville). In fact, NYC alone is bigger than the 22+ largest cities in Florida combined and would be 38% of Florida's entire population.

I'm sure you travel; you can see it with your eyes: the density and population of NYC is nothing like Florida.

And let's be honest, most Americans are working towards the same thing but people like Trump and DeSantis are making things worse.
That's partisan myopia and you are just as big a part of the problem as conservatives who want to blame everything on Cuomo, DeBlasio, et al. Both sides are complicit in where we are now.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:24 pm
Makes sense considering early diagnosis through testing and contact tracing. Plus treatments are improving and everyone is taking their vitamin D.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:15 am
SDHornet wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:24 pm
Makes sense considering early diagnosis through testing and contact tracing. Plus treatments are improving and everyone is taking their vitamin D.
I am not looking forward to shorter days and having to hang up my bike for the season. Being outside is my preferred way of receiving my vitamin D. :nod:

Some days I do envy those in warm climates.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Winterborn wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:18 am Some days I do envy those in warm climates.
Probably 9 months a year. ;)
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Winterborn wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:18 am
kalm wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:15 am

I am not looking forward to shorter days and having to hang up my bike for the season. Being outside is my preferred way of receiving my vitamin D. :nod:

I'm taking a half day off for a bike ride today, temps in the 80's
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:16 am

You're lucky. Air quality is so bad around Portland that I stayed in my apartment from Friday night until I left for work on Monday morning. I keep the blinds closed to provide another barrier against the smoke seeping in and it is dark and depressing 24 hours a day.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

The bank announced plans to start returning employees to the offices. We will learn 30 days before I return date and it will begin in the Fall. Everyone should be back in the office by Spring 2021.

I am NOT looking forward to it. At first I enjoyed WFH...then I hated it...now I've accepted it and have adapted a new schedule that's better for my physical and mental health.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:35 am

You're lucky. Air quality is so bad around Portland that I stayed in my apartment from Friday night until I left for work on Monday morning. I keep the blinds closed to provide another barrier against the smoke seeping in and it is dark and depressing 24 hours a day.
We have some of the haze from the smoke over here in Minnesota.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:02 am

It's all the way here too.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

89Hen wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:12 am
Winterborn wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:18 am Some days I do envy those in warm climates.
Probably 9 months a year. ;)
On average it is probably close to that. :lol:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

That sounds like December and January. :coffee:

:D

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:56 am The bank announced plans to start returning employees to the offices. We will learn 30 days before I return date and it will begin in the Fall. Everyone should be back in the office by Spring 2021.

I am NOT looking forward to it. At first I enjoyed WFH...then I hated it...now I've accepted it and have adapted a new schedule that's better for my physical and mental health.
I hear you on this. The biggest impact for me has been my non-existent travel and the ability to actually eat healthy and get some exercise on a regular basis.

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:56 am The bank announced plans to start returning employees to the offices. We will learn 30 days before I return date and it will begin in the Fall. Everyone should be back in the office by Spring 2021.

Very unfortunate. My company has been back since July, but none of us really need to be here.

WFH was great; I got all my work done (more efficiently I may add) and was able to exercise and enjoy personal interests during down time instead of sitting at a desk. I've been looking for job that'll let me do that, but obviously the market isn't great right now.

It boggles my mind that if your company and employees have the ability to WFH, why it's necessary to bring them into the office. You can save on rent, save on energy, and have happier employees. In my case, the "issue" was all the old managers claiming inefficiency because they couldn't learn new systems. Everyone else did fine; we have Microsoft Teams which was great but during the WFH period, I had more emails and phone calls from managers than ever. And then they complain, "this is inefficient!" No sh*t, why don't you learn the tech that is efficient.
Last edited by ∞∞∞ on Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

I am going to try and leave work a bit early for the same thing. :thumb:

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:19 am
There's more coming and it's nasty, as bad or worse than anything I remember in Beijing. I wonder how anyone could be outside for a sustained period of time. There will be a marked increase in cancers and respiratory issues in the coming months/years.

I haven't heard much about the riots and looting downtown so I wonder if the smoke has put a damper on things.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:38 am

There's more coming and it's nasty, as bad or worse than anything I remember in Beijing. I wonder how anyone could be outside for a sustained period of time. There will be a marked increase in cancers and respiratory issues in the coming months/years.

I haven't heard much about the riots and looting downtown so I wonder if the smoke has put a damper on things.
I was listening to NPR yesterday and the amount of new homes being built in "fire zones" on the West coast is absolutely ridiculous...something to the order of 300K+ in the last twenty years, very few which are actually built to withstand forest fires. And like coastal areas, they often end up being damaged or needing to be completely rebuilt when nature takes its eventual course.

I get developers and insurance companies are cheap, but you'd think we can simply build to our environments (or not at all) instead of handing out emergency funds to rebuild this stuff over and over again. Building shelters specific to your environment is Humanity 101. Seems like a systemic thing a bunch of parties (developers, banks, insurers, local and federal governments) need to get together and figure out.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:47 am

I was listening to NPR yesterday and the amount of new homes being built in "fire zones" on the West coast is absolutely ridiculous...something to the order of 300K+ in the last twenty years, very few which are actually built to withstand forest fires. And like coastal areas, they often end up being damaged or needing to be completely rebuilt when nature takes its eventual course.

I get developers and insurance companies are cheap, but you'd think we can simply build to our environments (or not at all) instead of handing out emergency funds to rebuild this stuff over and over again. Building shelters specific to your environment is Humanity 101. Seems like a systemic thing a bunch of parties (developers, banks, insurers, local and federal governments) need to get together and figure out.
:thumb: Federal flood insurance should provide one-time coverage. Hopefully private insurers are pricing the risk into their coverage and taxpayers aren't getting stuck with repeat rebuilding costs.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:25 am

Very unfortunate. My company has been back since July, but none of us really need to be here.

WFH was great; I got all my work done (more efficiently I may add) and was able to exercise and enjoy personal interests during down time instead of sitting at a desk. I've been looking for job that'll let me do that, but obviously the market isn't great right now.

It boggles my mind that if your company and employees have the ability to WFH, why it's necessary to bring them into the office. You can save on rent, save on energy, and have happier employees. In my case, the "issue" was all the old managers claiming inefficiency because they couldn't learn new systems. Everyone else did fine; we have Microsoft Teams which was great but during the WFH period, I had more emails and phone calls from managers than ever. And then they complain, "this is inefficient!" No sh*t, why don't you learn the tech that is efficient.
I've loved it. Instead of spending 1 hr+ commuting in the morning I go for a walk/run/mountain bike. I can get chores done while i'm waiting on reports. I've about 2-3, listen only calls that last 45 minutes to an hour. I take that time to go walk outside. I'm trying to get up to 5 miles a day of walk/run and 25 miles on the bike. Last week I averaged 3.25 mi walk/run and 12 mi total on the bike.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

How do they define “fire zone”?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:32 pm

How do they define “fire zone”?
Anything between the Mexican and Canadian borders, west of the Mississippi. :coffee:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

We got smoke out here and the windows are open with fans on.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:02 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:25 am

I've loved it. Instead of spending 1 hr+ commuting in the morning I go for a walk/run/mountain bike. I can get chores done while i'm waiting on reports. I've about 2-3, listen only calls that last 45 minutes to an hour. I take that time to go walk outside. I'm trying to get up to 5 miles a day of walk/run and 25 miles on the bike. Last week I averaged 3.25 mi walk/run and 12 mi total on the bike.
Sweet and congratulations. Keep it up!
Everything is better with SeattleGriz