Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:10 am
Ibanez wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:39 am
It is. It just happens to coincide with your political leanings. Nobody is shocked that you are a flip flopping hypocrite on this.
If you're too dense to see there's a big difference between now and 2016, I can't help you.
I don't need any help. The republicans told us you don't nominate a new judge during an election year. It's hypocritical. You're adding modifiers to root question to support our own ideology instead of being fair. I get it, it makes sense. It still makes you a hypocrite.

Sen. Graham probably shouldn't make statements like this, knowing one day there's a good chance he can't make good on it. The ONLY thing that has changed is that he's in a dog fight for his seat.
If an opening comes in the last year of President Trump’s term, and the primary process has started, we’ll wait to the next election,” Graham said at an event hosted by The Atlantic magazine. Reminded that he was speaking on the record, Graham doubled down: “Yeah. Hold the tape.”

On Saturday, Harrison also posted video from a Senate Judiciary Committee meeting in 2016, where Graham declared, “If there’s a Republican president (elected) in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say Lindsey Graham said, ‘Let’s let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination.’”
https://apnews.com/930b16d756c04946dae31841561f07a2
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:13 am
Ibanez wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:42 am

You saying we’ve never had a SC justice nominated by one party and confirmed by another???
No. I'm saying the notion that you can't confirm a justice in an election year if the same party controls the White House and the Senate is hogwash.
Yeah - because this time you agree the situation and all those involved. You had no problem being against it when it was a Democratic nominee. But NOW that it's a Republican, you're all for it. That's the only thing that has changed.

BDK - you seem to be the only one unaware of your hyper-partisanship. You're like the alt-right Trip.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:51 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:53 am

Leave Trump out of it. He would be doing the job he was elected to do. This solely rests on the Senate.

Harry Reid set this up by getting rid of the filibuster. Now you don't need any buy in from the other side. If the filibuster was in, the Dems wouldn't be sweating this.
The other big difference in ‘16 was a Dem president and R senate. That’s obviously not the case now.

If the shoe were on the other foot, and it was a Dem President and a Dem senate you goddamned know they’d be ramming through another candidate...anyone who says otherwise is 100% full of shit.
Of course they would. And then we'd go back to the "biden rule" and they'd still be hypocrites. They are politicians. They're flip-floppers.

This is all situational ethics. It always has been.

Trump, like Obama, has a constitutional duty to nominate someone. The Senate has a duty to confirm or deny. The problem is saying you won't confirm b/c you're too close to an election which might cause you to lose your nominee. It get why they'd do it. At least be honest about it. (that's pointed at Congress, not you. :) )
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:15 am
BDKJMU wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:13 am
No. I'm saying the notion that you can't confirm a justice in an election year if the same party controls the White House and the Senate is hogwash.
Yeah - because this time you agree the situation and all those involved. You had no problem being against it when it was a Democratic nominee. But NOW that it's a Republican, you're all for it. That's the only thing that has changed.

BDK - you seem to be the only one unaware of your hyper-partisanship. You're like the alt-right Trip.
Go back and look up the history of SCOTUS vacancies in election years. I heard this stated yesterday:
When its been a different party controlling the WH and the Senate (8 times), like 2016, every time but 1 you've not had an election yr confirmation.
When its been the same party controlling the WH and the Senate (10 times), like now, every time but 1 you have had an election yr confirmation.

Its not hypocrisy. Its called elections have consequences. If you think the donks wouldn't be doing the same thing if they controlled the WH and Senate, then I have some oceanfront property in AZ to sell you.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:29 am
Ibanez wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:15 am

Go back and look up the history of SCOTUS vacancies in election years. I heard this stated yesterday:
When its been a different party controlling the WH and the Senate (8 times), like 2016, every time but 1 you've not had an election yr confirmation.
When its been the same party controlling the WH and the Senate (10 times), like now, every time but 1 you have had an election yr confirmation.

Its not hypocrisy. Its called elections have consequences. If you think the donks wouldn't be doing the same thing if they controlled the WH and Senate, then I have some oceanfront property in AZ to sell you.
I appreciate you trying to read my mind. Maybe read the post above yours.

You still aren't following the logic. I'm not saying Trump shouldn't nominate someone. In fact - he's got the authority to do so. I had no problem with Obama nominating someone. My problem comes when Republicans say they can't replace a justice so close to an election in 1 year and then 4 years later they say they will and it has everything to do with partisan politics instead of the integrity/capabilities of the candidate or anything else. It's just political flip-flopping.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:58 am
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:29 am

I appreciate you trying to read my mind. Maybe read the post above yours.

You still aren't following the logic. I'm not saying Trump shouldn't nominate someone. In fact - he's got the authority to do so. I had no problem with Obama nominating someone. My problem comes when Republicans say they can't replace a justice so close to an election in 1 year and then 4 years later they say they will and it has everything to do with partisan politics instead of the integrity/capabilities of the candidate or anything else. It's just political flip-flopping.
And of course, inserting Dems in place of Republicans there and complaining that they should've been able to nominate in an election year in 1 year and then 4 years later saying that to do so would be an egregious "abuse of power" rises to the level of hypocrisy as well. Both parties have flip flopped entirely over this.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:58 am My problem comes when Republicans say they can't replace a justice so close to an election in 1 year and then 4 years later they say they will and it has everything to do with partisan politics instead of the integrity/capabilities of the candidate or anything else. It's just political flip-flopping.
There's not a single politician on either side that hasn't done a 180 on this.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:23 am
Ibanez wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:58 am My problem comes when Republicans say they can't replace a justice so close to an election in 1 year and then 4 years later they say they will and it has everything to do with partisan politics instead of the integrity/capabilities of the candidate or anything else. It's just political flip-flopping.
They're all scum. I keep waiting for someone to have the integrity to admit its politics and they're wrong. I'll keep waiting.

Actually - If a politician did come out and say what we're all thinking then I'd probably have some respect for them. :twocents:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

How long until Democrats are quoting Strom Thurmond? :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:32 am How long until Democrats are quoting Strom Thurmond? :coffee:
That's one of the funniest things about this situation is the Democrats quoting Republicans and vice versa and then stating that they're not hypocrites but the other side is.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:36 am
Ibanez wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:32 am How long until Democrats are quoting Strom Thurmond? :coffee:
That's one of the funniest things about this situation is the Democrats quoting Republicans and vice versa and then stating that they're not hypocrites but the other side is.
Eventually we should just give up and put our heads down on our desks for a few minutes.
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

kalm wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:20 am
JoltinJoe wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:01 pm

That's because our national government is a federation of the states. The system is designed to prevent larger population masses of certain states from imposing their will on the smaller populations in other states.

All of those aspects of the system which the Democrats want to cast aside -- they exist precisely so the Democrats cannot do the things they want to do.
So you’re agreeing with JSO then? Or was the constitution written specifically with a Democratic Party in mind?
How did you get through college?
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Yes! 4D Chess

Everything is better with SeattleGriz
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:55 am Yes! 4D Chess

That's some funny shit there.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:43 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:55 am Yes! 4D Chess

That's some funny shit there.
:rofl: That's good stuff.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:17 am
89Hen wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:23 am

They're all scum. I keep waiting for someone to have the integrity to admit its politics and they're wrong. I'll keep waiting.

Actually - If a politician did come out and say what we're all thinking then I'd probably have some respect for them. :twocents:
Don't hold your breath. Politicians haven't changed since the first cave men gathered together and held an election to be the leader.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

JoltinJoe wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:35 am
kalm wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:20 am

So you’re agreeing with JSO then? Or was the constitution written specifically with a Democratic Party in mind?
Natural light, a few bong rips, and lots of coffee. Why?

Just asking for clarification from you because you seem to be agreeing with JSO while that those aspects protect the Republicans and imply they were designed as such.

I’d just insult and avoid answering if I were you too. :thumb:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:27 am You can even read what Mcconnell had to say back in 2016. He was very clear. There is no hypocrisy here.

Elections have consequences.
There is.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:53 pm
Ibanez wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:17 am

Don't hold your breath. Politicians haven't changed since the first cave men gathered together and held an election to be the leader.
Groot was a shoe-in for that! I blame Grunt and his negative campaigning.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:33 pm
JoltinJoe wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:35 am

Just asking for clarification from you because you seem to be agreeing with JSO while that those aspects protect the Republicans and imply they were designed as such.

:suspicious: What are you trying to say?

Those measures were put in place to give the smaller population states and their citizens a voice in their government. They might be protecting a more conservative minority from a more liberal majority now but I would hazard a guess that over the course of our nations history they have protected a liberal minority from a conservative majority and that they will do so again in the future. If liberals don't like them, there is a process designed to change them and throwing temper tantrums is not a part of the process.

Question - why are liberals so quick to defend race, gender or (certain) religious minorities but completely willing to throw ideological minorities to the wolves? Shouldn't diversity of thought being celebrated and encouraged?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:31 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:33 pm

:suspicious: What are you trying to say?

Those measures were put in place to give the smaller population states and their citizens a voice in their government. They might be protecting a more conservative minority from a more liberal majority now but I would hazard a guess that over the course of our nations history they have protected a liberal minority from a conservative majority and that they will do so again in the future. If liberals don't like them, there is a process designed to change them and throwing temper tantrums is not a part of the process.

Question - why are liberals so quick to defend race, gender or (certain) religious minorities but completely willing to throw ideological minorities to the wolves? Shouldn't diversity of thought being celebrated and encouraged?
I agree and I was pointing out the two party partisanship angle. This liberal thinks both a tyranny of the majority as well as the minority can limit freedom. JSO and Joe were arguing the impacts to parties not ideology.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:36 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:27 am You can even read what Mcconnell had to say back in 2016. He was very clear. There is no hypocrisy here.

Elections have consequences.
There is.
No there isn't. 8-)
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Well, Cory Gardner pretty much seals the votes for Republicans. Although, no nominee has been announced... they'll have the votes.

Only solace is that John Roberts has been a fairly moderating influence (at least Trump hasn't nominated the Chief Justice) and that hopefully this seals the fate of ever Blue State Conk Senator up in 2020 and flips enough state legislators to gerrymander the fuck out of as many states as possible.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:28 pm Well, Cory Gardner pretty much seals the votes for Republicans. Although, no nominee has been announced... they'll have the votes.

Only solace is that John Roberts has been a fairly moderating influence (at least Trump hasn't nominated the Chief Justice) and that hopefully this seals the fate of ever Blue State Conk Senator up in 2020 and flips enough state legislators to gerrymander the fuck out of as many states as possible.
What are you attempting to say with that word salad?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Trump has his votes. Hope Democrats can capitalize in 2020 races.

If you need less words, let me know.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)