Political discussions
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Here We Go Again (Louisville)

Post by GannonFan »

You know, reading about this case does bring to mind one of the real problems we have regarding issues like this - no one seems to know what the real story is. There's no consensus over whether these cops announced themselves or not, but more importantly, there's not enough attention being paid as to whether they should've been there in the first place, was the warrant really justified, why it had to be no-knock, and so on. Heck, IMO, the cops themselves executing the raid were given really bad information about what they were doing. Where's the accountability and anger towards those that supervise these guys? Where's the accountability for the other part of the police force that was in charge of coming up with the evidence that went into warrant in the first place? The defense team is floating out the idea that there was some push to get Taylor's former boyfriend convicted of something so that they could seize his home and clear the way for a gentrification project.

While we focus on the cops who were firing their weapons (and I'm good with the indictment of the cop who was firing blindly into the apartment through the window and the blinds that were drawn), I think it's over simplistic to just look at those guys. This looks like a far bigger issue than cops firing on suspects during a raid.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:49 am You know, reading about this case does bring to mind one of the real problems we have regarding issues like this - no one seems to know what the real story is. There's no consensus over whether these cops announced themselves or not, but more importantly, there's not enough attention being paid as to whether they should've been there in the first place, was the warrant really justified, why it had to be no-knock, and so on. Heck, IMO, the cops themselves executing the raid were given really bad information about what they were doing. Where's the accountability and anger towards those that supervise these guys? Where's the accountability for the other part of the police force that was in charge of coming up with the evidence that went into warrant in the first place? The defense team is floating out the idea that there was some push to get Taylor's former boyfriend convicted of something so that they could seize his home and clear the way for a gentrification project.

While we focus on the cops who were firing their weapons (and I'm good with the indictment of the cop who was firing blindly into the apartment through the window and the blinds that were drawn), I think it's over simplistic to just look at those guys. This looks like a far bigger issue than cops firing on suspects during a raid.
Good post. I haven't followed this case closely at all, and to be honest, I don't really care what events transpired. Everyone knew there was going to be rioting even if all the cops were convicted of charges and unfortunately that is going to take away from the potential of any real police reform.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:43 am
Winterborn wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:18 am

There are a few hoops to jump through but it can be worth while. Makes for some good deer hunting land.

Big hoop is that your county can't have over 25% of current cropland already be enrolled in CRP.
Our new neighbor is an avid pheasant hunter and we’ve briefly talked about creating upland habitat and releasing some birds. Another thought is to lease it to an organic farmer....

Or grow bodacious amounts of commercial weed. :mrgreen:
Upland birds really love thick CRP cover. Some of our land was CRP until a few years ago and it was thick with peasants. :nod:

Watch for some of the organic classifications as per the USDA to be classified as Organic I believe it can not have chemicals and fertilizer on it for a set number of years (I think it is 3 years). So to switch it over to organic might take a few years and if you plan on doing anything with the land later down the road it may factor into it.

Also just make sure it is cheap weed. I was reading an article here that some companies are having trouble selling the expensive stuff, as apparently pot users are very price conscience. :lol:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:49 am You know, reading about this case does bring to mind one of the real problems we have regarding issues like this - no one seems to know what the real story is. There's no consensus over whether these cops announced themselves or not, but more importantly, there's not enough attention being paid as to whether they should've been there in the first place, was the warrant really justified, why it had to be no-knock, and so on. Heck, IMO, the cops themselves executing the raid were given really bad information about what they were doing. Where's the accountability and anger towards those that supervise these guys? Where's the accountability for the other part of the police force that was in charge of coming up with the evidence that went into warrant in the first place? The defense team is floating out the idea that there was some push to get Taylor's former boyfriend convicted of something so that they could seize his home and clear the way for a gentrification project.

:nod: This is a complicated situation and there are no easy answers.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:16 am

:nod: This is a complicated situation and there are no easy answers.
Which is a problem when a certain segment is asking for the easy one size fits all solution.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Meanwhile you have members of the batshit crazy left calling the KY AG an Uncle Tom and a disgrace to his people.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm
JoltinJoe wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:54 pm Wait a second.

This wasn't a "no-knock" warrant??

They announced themselves, and then got shot at? And an officer was indicted for returning too many shots?

Doesn't the whole narrative fall apart if the police announced themselves?
I think it was a no-knock warrant but the officers announced themselves anyway.

The shots of the officer who was indicted went into a neighboring apartment where a family with a child lived. Maybe he was firing wildly.
Here is a report on it: https://www.whas11.com/article/news/inv ... 6eb4bd7cc1

When I was listening to the Attorney General's statement I interpreted him as saying it was not a no knock warrant. From the article:
During the news briefing to explain the grand jury's decision, Cameron only referred to it as a search warrant. He said the officers were told by their superiors to knock and announce their appearance while serving this "specific" search warrant.
I think the bottom line is that the Black Lives Matter People need to back off on this one. It is tragic. Mistakes were made. But everybody with sense knows that if police were serving a warrant on White people, knocked on the door and announced themselves, did not get a response, then broke through the door and got fired upon they would return fire. And they wouldn't each just squeeze the trigger once.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:50 pm
Omg threatened with assault
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

DuckDuckGriz wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:42 pm
SDHornet wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:50 pm
Omg threatened with assault
I was more entertained by the "white people gtfo", but whatever floats your boat.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

According to what someone posted:
That dude was trying to get around the crowd in far lane. The mob went YOU SHALL NOT PASS mode, he freaked out surrounded and hit the bitch. Then they attacked him (skateboards, again? why are there always skateboards??) and he floors it.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:51 am According to what someone posted:
That dude was trying to get around the crowd in far lane. The mob went YOU SHALL NOT PASS mode, he freaked out surrounded and hit the bitch. Then they attacked him (skateboards, again? why are there always skateboards??) and he floors it.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Why are they all giving the sign for out of bounds?

Perhaps only kalm will get that one.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

DuckDuckGriz wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:42 pm Omg threatened with assault
People like you will ensure this kind of behavior is acceptable. :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Charles Barkley, Shaquille O'Neil draw backlash for pushing back on Breonna Taylor outrage
"I don't think this one was like George Floyd or Ahmaud Arbery and things like that," Barkley began. "I feel sad that this young lady lost her life. I think this one was — the no-knock warrant is something we need to get rid of ... across the board. But I am worried to lump all these situations in together."

He continued, "And I just feel bad that the young lady lost her life. But we do have to take into account that her boyfriend shot at the cops and shot a cop. So like I say, even though I am really sorry she lost her life, I just don't think we can put this in the same situation as George Floyd or Ahmaud Arbery."
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:05 am Charles Barkley, Shaquille O'Neil draw backlash for pushing back on Breonna Taylor outrage
"I don't think this one was like George Floyd or Ahmaud Arbery and things like that," Barkley began. "I feel sad that this young lady lost her life. I think this one was — the no-knock warrant is something we need to get rid of ... across the board. But I am worried to lump all these situations in together."

He continued, "And I just feel bad that the young lady lost her life. But we do have to take into account that her boyfriend shot at the cops and shot a cop. So like I say, even though I am really sorry she lost her life, I just don't think we can put this in the same situation as George Floyd or Ahmaud Arbery."
An interesting expert from the article...an interesting choice of words here:
It’s worth noting that O’Neal has long expressed an affinity for the police, once even being deputized in a county in Georgia.
Stated in the tone of how a pedophile has an affinity for little girls. :?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:05 am Charles Barkley, Shaquille O'Neil draw backlash for pushing back on Breonna Taylor outrage

Also (within the link 88 posted).
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

89Hen wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:23 am
DuckDuckGriz wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:42 pm Omg threatened with assault
:lol: :lol: :lol: '

Two posts above this is a t-shirt that reads "All Lives Splatter."

I wonder what your reaction was to "grab em by the pussy."

I have a feeling I know the answer.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

DuckDuckGriz wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:47 am

Read Houndie's post on the murder of Aaron Danielson. There are people on both "sides" who are guilty of indifference and poor taste.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Try and deflect, but I'm right.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:27 am

The point that there are fools on both sides ignoring, rationalizing or enabling despicable behavior still holds.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:34 am
89Hen wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:27 am
The point that there are fools on both sides ignoring, rationalizing or enabling despicable behavior still holds.
Maybe true, but the only despicable behavior in the Breona Taylor case was the actions of Taylor’s boyfriend and her actions that led up to the warrant being issued/acted on in the first place.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:27 am

Read Houndie's post on the murder of Aaron Danielson. There are people on both "sides" who are guilty of indifference and poor taste.
Poor taste? Here? :?
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Hhmmm...

Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

You know the Second Amendment applies to black people too?
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)