SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by SDHornet »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:02 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:35 am

You're lucky. Air quality is so bad around Portland that I stayed in my apartment from Friday night until I left for work on Monday morning. I keep the blinds closed to provide another barrier against the smoke seeping in and it is dark and depressing 24 hours a day.
We have some of the haze from the smoke over here in Minnesota.
It's been hazy here most of the last few weeks. A few days it's been really bad, and other not so bad. I guess it all depends on how the wind is blowing.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

SeattleGriz wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:32 pm
Ibanez wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:02 am
I've loved it. Instead of spending 1 hr+ commuting in the morning I go for a walk/run/mountain bike. I can get chores done while i'm waiting on reports. I've about 2-3, listen only calls that last 45 minutes to an hour. I take that time to go walk outside. I'm trying to get up to 5 miles a day of walk/run and 25 miles on the bike. Last week I averaged 3.25 mi walk/run and 12 mi total on the bike.
Sweet and congratulations. Keep it up!
Thanks man. A buddy and I (he works for a competing Bank so we share horror stories :mrgreen: ) have been hitting the trails 2x a week. We did an intermediate trail tis morning - 3.5 mi. 154' elevation gain. I've got to get better at switching gears BEFORE the incline. I've put new tires and brake pads on this weekend and the difference is night/day. It's performing much better. :thumb:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Big 10 will play football in 2020
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Lots of noise coming out of Europe. Remember, the numbers are if you don’t take action.
LONDON (Reuters) - The COVID epidemic in Britain is doubling roughly every seven days and if it continues to do so there would be about 50,000 new cases per day by the middle of October, the government’s Chief Scientific Adviser Patrick Vallance said on Monday.

“At the moment we think the epidemic is doubling roughly every seven days” he said during a televised briefing.

“If, and that’s quite a big if, but if that continues unabated ... you would end up with something like 50,000 cases in the middle of October, per day,” he said, adding that this would lead a month later to more than 200 deaths per day
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-heal ... AgPq9dyij8
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

kalm wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:30 am Lots of noise coming out of Europe. Remember, the numbers are if you don’t take action.
LONDON (Reuters) - The COVID epidemic in Britain is doubling roughly every seven days and if it continues to do so there would be about 50,000 new cases per day by the middle of October, the government’s Chief Scientific Adviser Patrick Vallance said on Monday.

“At the moment we think the epidemic is doubling roughly every seven days” he said during a televised briefing.

“If, and that’s quite a big if, but if that continues unabated ... you would end up with something like 50,000 cases in the middle of October, per day,” he said, adding that this would lead a month later to more than 200 deaths per day

How's Sweden doing?
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

HI54UNI wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:15 am
kalm wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:30 am Lots of noise coming out of Europe. Remember, the numbers are if you don’t take action.

How's Sweden doing?
Significantly higher death rate and similar economic impact compared to its neighbors.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:26 am

How's Sweden doing?
Significantly higher death rate and similar economic impact compared to its neighbors.
And no current second surge either. Half of Sweden's fatalities were in nursing homes and hospices, which they concede they didn't recognize the vulnerabilities there early enough.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

As fall is upon us, and winter is just down the road, cities like Washington DC are looking for ways to keep businesses like restaurants open...DC is still not allowing much, if any indoor dining...but has grown it’s outdoor dining as a way to help restaurants survive...

So, the Mayor has come up with an innovative thought...let’s give out tax-payers money to help restaurants with outdoor eating create the infrastructure like indoors, only outdoors...

Here’s a thought...OPEN UP THE INDOOR FACILITIES AT NO COST TO TAXPAYERS!!!
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Col Hogan wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:33 am As fall is upon us, and winter is just down the road, cities like Washington DC are looking for ways to keep businesses like restaurants open...DC is still not allowing much, if any indoor dining...but has grown it’s outdoor dining as a way to help restaurants survive...

So, the Mayor has come up with an innovative thought...let’s give out tax-payers money to help restaurants with outdoor eating create the infrastructure like indoors, only outdoors...

Here’s a thought...OPEN UP THE INDOOR FACILITIES AT NO COST TO TAXPAYERS!!!
Not to mention that it's not really safe for regular folks to eat outdoors in DC.

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

How's Sweden doing?
How does Sweden count a COVID death compared to it's neighbors? I'm sure it's apples to apples, right? 8-)
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:29 am

And no current second surge either. Half of Sweden's fatalities were in nursing homes and hospices, which they concede they didn't recognize the vulnerabilities there early enough.
True. Perhaps Sweden is the only one who got it right all along. Still, why do you hate grandma? ;)

They have some built in advantages that we’ve discussed but they’re being watched closely.

Even their Fauci has admitted they should have been more restrictive. The wildcards remain reinfection/new strains and vaccines to achieve herd immunity. Still probably a year or more away from vaccines helping us to get there.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:42 pm
you would think a reporter would know how to take a screencap instead of photographing his computer screen with his camera. :lol:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:43 am
SDHornet wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:42 pm
you would think a reporter would know how to take a screencap instead of photographing his computer screen with his camera. :lol:
what difference does it make? He's right. :nod: :nod: :nod:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:11 am
Skjellyfetti wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:43 am
That was some BDanKlebiterKK deflection on Jelly's part.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:36 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:11 am

That was some BDanKlebiterKK deflection on Jelly's part.
:rofl: :rofl:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Just a few thoughts and general questions...

The common cold is a virus...how’s the research going on a vaccine for that virus?

The flu is a virus...each year it mutates/changes and the experts have to guess what vaccine people should get. COVID is mutating also. Which version is the vaccines under development going to treat?

Only one of the four vaccine front-runners can be administered in any location due to the extraordinary packaging requirements for the other three (The RNA version has to be stored at -112 degrees F.) If the Johnson and Johnson vaccine, which can be stored at room temp, does not end up being “the one”, how in the world will vaccines be delivered and stored? https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ee-storage

Another mutation question...if COVID 19 is continually mutating, will we have to get a new show every year for the latest predominant mutation???

I’m sure there are more questions, but this is a start...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:29 am

It's a legitimate debate. However, at this time the three Nordic countries that surround Sweden have deaths per million population rates of 50 (Norway), 61 (Finland), and 111 (Denmark). Sweden's deaths per million population rate is 581.

Over time we will see if the deaths per million population rates of its demographically and geographically similar neighbors approach Sweden's. But they have a long way to go to get there.

One thing I've thought about is that medical professionals probably get better at managing the disease as time goes on. So even if you eventually have the same number of cases, it's quite possible that the rate of severe consequences and death in the end is reduced by slowing the rate of spread. The three Nordic neighbors slowed the rate of spread. If you look at the situation now you would have to say that Sweden's done the worst of any of the Nordic countries. Also, it's done worse than most countries in Europe.

It's economy hasn't been helped much by its approach either.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... ess-story/
Those who regard the strategy as a success claim it reduced the economic impact, but it isn’t clear that it did. What is clear is that so far Sweden has had a more protracted outbreak with far more deaths per capita than its neighbours.
That article also points out that it's not really accurate to say Sweden didn't have a lockdown. The whole "Sweden" thing that I recall as being introduced to popular consciousness by Rush Limbaugh is false. It's not true that they didn't do anything. It's not true that they've done well in terms of managing the epidemic. It's not true that they haven't had the adverse economic impacts.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

The woman is being a bitch about it but this is ridiculous.

Woman tased, arrested for trespassing for not wearing mask at Ohio football game

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... pw.twitter
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

HI54UNI wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:26 pm The woman is being a bitch about it but this is ridiculous.

Woman tased, arrested for trespassing for not wearing mask at Ohio football game

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... pw.twitter
Ridiculous is not wearing a mask and refusing to comply with an officers instructions. That shit can get you killed these days.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Minnesota spiking again, as are the states next door, Wisconsin, Iowa, ND & SD.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:41 am Minnesota spiking again, as are the states next door, Wisconsin, Iowa, ND & SD.
Hospitalization numbers?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:04 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:41 am Minnesota spiking again, as are the states next door, Wisconsin, Iowa, ND & SD.
Hospitalization numbers?
Active cases up.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:04 am
Hospitalization numbers?
64 active hospitalizations plus 25 of which are in the ICU, for a total of 89 COVID active hospitalizations in the state. There are 1721 non-ICU beds in the state (64 are being used for COVID, 1346 non-COVID), 289 ICU beds (25 are being used for COVID, 121 non-COVID). Average length of hospitalization is 8.06 days.

We have had 219 deaths so far (Total population is 762,062). A 135 are 80+, 42 are 70-79, 23 are 60-69, 10 are 50-59, 7 are 40-49, 1 is 30-39, and 1 is 20-29.

ND has a very good dashboard put on with PowrBI. Takes a bit to load but you can slice and dice the numbers or drill down as deep as you want.

https://www.health.nd.gov/diseases-cond ... irus-cases
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein