2020 NBA Season

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Re: 2020 NBA Season

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:41 am You have the Lebron-lovers now out in force saying if he wins it this year with this Lakers team and gets his 4th ring that he should be elevated above Jordan, based on the idea that this Lakers team is basically him, Davis, and not much else. What they're also missing is that this Lakers team, for all of their flaws, is still likely the best team in the NBA. Can't really compare teams from year to year, you have to compare teams to their competition in that year.

With all that said, I'll be rooting hard for the Nuggets and I'll be rooting hard for Jimmy Butler. I'm starting to think the Heat could beat the Lakers at this point - Jimmy is just loaded with mojo right now.
How ironic would that be if LeBron's first Eastern Conference opponent in the Finals is the Heat, and he loses to them. After "The Decision" when LeBron was saying how many championships the Heat were going to win with him? Too Funny!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

LeBron track record is a lot like Wilt Chamberlain. The Greatest Player of his Generation yet can't seem to dominate in the Finals..

No matter what LeBron thinks, Davis is still the best player in the West. If LeBron realizes that, Lakers will win.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:22 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:41 am You have the Lebron-lovers now out in force saying if he wins it this year with this Lakers team and gets his 4th ring that he should be elevated above Jordan, based on the idea that this Lakers team is basically him, Davis, and not much else. What they're also missing is that this Lakers team, for all of their flaws, is still likely the best team in the NBA. Can't really compare teams from year to year, you have to compare teams to their competition in that year.

With all that said, I'll be rooting hard for the Nuggets and I'll be rooting hard for Jimmy Butler. I'm starting to think the Heat could beat the Lakers at this point - Jimmy is just loaded with mojo right now.
How ironic would that be if LeBron's first Eastern Conference opponent in the Finals is the Heat, and he loses to them. After "The Decision" when LeBron was saying how many championships the Heat were going to win with him? Too Funny!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

LeBron track record is a lot like Wilt Chamberlain. The Greatest Player of his Generation yet can't seem to dominate in the Finals..

No matter what LeBron thinks, Davis is still the best player in the West. If LeBron realizes that, Lakers will win.
If the Lakers get through the Nuggets, at least the Heat will be a really tough Finals - they're not going to go away easily.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Nuggets down 3-1 to the Lakers. Why do I think they have them right where they want them? :lol:

Seems like the Nuggets don't start playing until they are down 3-1.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:41 am Nuggets down 3-1 to the Lakers. Why do I think they have them right where they want them? :lol:

Seems like the Nuggets don't start playing until they are down 3-1.
Maybe they'll play better now that they're eliminated 4-1?

And not to poke you too much, but the Lebron Lakers just walked trough the "grind" of the Western Conference playoffs winning 4-1, 4-1, and 4-1. Just for comparison, the last time Lebron was in the playoffs in the East two of the series went the distance with the Cavs winning 4-3 in both of them. So much for the Western Conference grind.

Pulling big time for Jimmy Buckets and the Heat. That's a franchise that is just laser-focused on winning. They're the underdogs big time in this one, but hopefully they still have something in the tank and won't wilt here in the Finals.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

So Lebron's title this year would mean less because he is on the best team in the NBA?

Cool, then all of MJ's titles mean literally nothing then too.

Then there is the meme that "Jordan only needed Pippen". Well if this year's Lakers team is him and AD only - which it is - then what the hell is the knock against Lebron?

The fucker took a roster of Daniel Gibson, JJ Hickson, Zydrunas Ilgaskas, Darnell Jackson, Trey Johnson, Tarence Kinsey, Sasha Pavlovic, Wally Szcerbiak, Anderson Vaerjoa 70 year old Ben Wallace, and 40 year old Lorenzen Wright to the NBA finals.

Jordan was paired with Pippen - a top 50 all time player. Pippen was first team all NBA the years Jordan was gone, a 10 time all NBA defensive player, 2 time 2nd team all NBA, etc. He became just the second player in NBA history to lead their team in every statistical category over the course of an entire season - which has since been matched by only Kevin Garnett, Lebron, and Giannis.

The team he won a title with in Cleveland beat the Warriors, who that season set the NBA record for wins in a season going 73-9. The roster for that team still had that same freaking Anderson Varejo on it. Couple with 90 year old Richard Jefferson playing pretty significant minutes and in the playoffs had guys like matthew Dellavedova, Iman Shumpert, Sasha Kaun, etc. getting minutes.

I'm not a Lebron over MJ guy

It's just interesting to see the arguments against Lebron ignored when it is easily applied to MJ
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

clenz wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:45 am

So Lebron's title this year would mean less because he is on the best team in the NBA?

Then there is the meme that "Jordan only needed Pippen". Well if this year's Lakers team is him and AD only - which it is - then what the hell is the knock against Lebron?

The fucker took a roster of Daniel Gibson, JJ Hickson, Zydrunas Ilgaskas, Darnell Jackson, Trey Johnson, Tarence Kinsey, Sasha Pavlovic, Wally Szcerbiak, Anderson Vaerjoa 70 year old Ben Wallace, and 40 year old Lorenzen Wright to the NBA finals.

Jordan was paired with Pippen - a top 50 all time player. Pippen was first team all NBA the years Jordan was gone, a 10 time all NBA defensive player, 2 time 2nd team all NBA, etc. He became just the second player in NBA history to lead their team in every statistical category over the course of an entire season - which has since been matched by only Kevin Garnett, Lebron, and Giannis.

The team he won a title with in Cleveland beat the Warriors, who that season set the NBA record for wins in a season going 73-9. The roster for that team still had that same freaking Anderson Varejo on it. Couple with 90 year old Richard Jefferson playing pretty significant minutes and in the playoffs had guys like matthew Dellavedova, Iman Shumpert, Sasha Kaun, etc. getting minutes.

It's just interesting to see the arguments against Lebron ignored when it is easily applied to MJ
Well, LeBron is now 36, not 26. Last year was a sobering reminder that he can't take a bunch of misfits to the playoffs, let alone the Finals anymore. He needed to get the best player in the West to join him (as well as other ring-chasers).

As far as Pippen goes, his time in Portland showed he was more suited as a follower than a leader. The Blazer team of 2000 was loaded, yet Pippen could not get them to the Finals. They even had the Lakers down 16 going in to the 4th and collapsed. The odds were in Pippen's favor, yet he could not lead his team there.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

JALMOND wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:44 am
clenz wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:45 am

Well, LeBron is now 36, not 26. Last year was a sobering reminder that he can't take a bunch of misfits to the playoffs, let alone the Finals anymore. He needed to get the best player in the West to join him (as well as other ring-chasers).

As far as Pippen goes, his time in Portland showed he was more suited as a follower than a leader. The Blazer team of 2000 was loaded, yet Pippen could not get them to the Finals. They even had the Lakers down 16 going in to the 4th and collapsed. The odds were in Pippen's favor, yet he could not lead his team there.
Pippen was Robin to Jordan's Batman. He was a great #2 but didn't have the mentality to be #1.

Lebron is one of the greatest players to date. I don't think he's Jordan but he isn't that far behind.

I probably won't watch but I hope the Lakers win and that Rondo plays lights out against Janie Butler. Their time with the Bulls showed that Rondo is 10x the leader compared to Butler.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Pippen was late 30s by the time he got to Portland.

That 2000 Lakers team had

Shaq, Kobe, young Derek Fisher, prime Rick Fox, vertan AC Green, veter Ron Harper, prime Robert Horry

Let's not forget just how fucking good those Lakers teams were
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:23 am
JALMOND wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:44 am

Pippen was Robin to Jordan's Batman. He was a great #2 but didn't have the mentality to be #1.

Lebron is one of the greatest players to date. I don't think he's Jordan but he isn't that far behind.

I probably won't watch but I hope the Lakers win and that Rondo plays lights out against Janie Butler. Their time with the Bulls showed that Rondo is 10x the leader compared to Butler.
For what it's worth, Butler seems to have grown up a lot over the past couple of years. Being shifted to team after team because you were a jerk and a bad teammate seems to have finally gotten through to him. Plus, he seems to jibe really well with the Heat mindset - they just want to win. Gotta give Pat Riley credit, he's instilled a relentless desire to work and win in Miami. Butler has really bought into it.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

clenz wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:30 am Pippen was late 30s by the time he got to Portland.

Shaq, Kobe, young Derek Fisher, prime Rick Fox, vertan AC Green, veter Ron Harper, prime Robert Horry

How do you explain Pippen benching himself when Jackson wanted Kukoc to take the last shot in a playoff game?
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

clenz wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:30 am Pippen was late 30s by the time he got to Portland.

Yet the Blazers were up 16 heading in to the 4th. In Game 7, Of the Conference Finals. With a chance to go to the NBA Finals.

Pippen had been taught by the Greatest how to close out these games and get your team there. Yet he could not get his own team there. Even with a 16 point cushion going into the 4th.

Blazers were loaded as well with Sabonis, Rasheed Wallace, Steve Smith, Damon Stoudamire, and Pippen. The other Blazers waited for Pippen to show up to guide them home. Pippen waited for Jordan. Problem was Jordan didn't play for the Blazers in 2000. He wasn't coming.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

JALMOND wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:24 pm

Yet the Blazers were up 16 heading in to the 4th. In Game 7, Of the Conference Finals. With a chance to go to the NBA Finals.

Pippen had been taught by the Greatest how to close out these games and get your team there. Yet he could not get his own team there. Even with a 16 point cushion going into the 4th.

Blazers were loaded as well with Sabonis, Rasheed Wallace, Steve Smith, Damon Stoudamire, and Pippen. The other Blazers waited for Pippen to show up to guide them home. Pippen waited for Jordan. Problem was Jordan didn't play for the Blazers in 2000. He wasn't coming.
How many titles did MJ win without Pippen?

He never finished over .500, or even at .500, without Pippen. First season Pippen shows up they go from sub .500 to 50-32. Once Pippen started to really grow into a true NBA gamer in his 3rd and into his 4th season they started winning titles.

MJ isn't winning 6 titles without Pippen.
I'd be shocked if he got to 2 or 3 total - just like Lebron.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Heat vs Lakers for the Championship.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

clenz wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:12 am
JALMOND wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:24 pm

He never finished over .500, or even at .500, without Pippen. First season Pippen shows up they go from sub .500 to 50-32. Once Pippen started to really grow into a true NBA gamer in his 3rd and into his 4th season they started winning titles.

No MJ wasn't. Pippen was a great #2 but he didn't have it in him to be a #1.

LeBron had help too - DWade and Bosh in Miami and Kyrie and Love in Cleveland.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:26 am
clenz wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:12 am

Who did Kobe have for his last 2 titles?
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Pippen was 34 when he got to Portland in 1999. He was still 34 when they collapsed against the Lakers.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:44 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:26 am

He had Pau Gasol.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:29 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:44 am

He had Pau Gasol.
Probably the worst #2, compared to Jordan and Lebron.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:26 pm
JALMOND wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:29 am

He had Pau Gasol.
Probably the worst #2, compared to Jordan and Lebron.
True. Phil was still coaching the Lakers, however. That's better than any coach LeBron has had. Its a push with Jordan (same coach).
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Just so we are clear

Lebron takes a hit because he wad Wade in Miami, a past prime Kevin Love in Cleveland or Davis in LA...ignoring he took Cleveland to the heights he did the first time there with Anderson fucking Verejo as his number 2

but

Jordan doesn't for having a top 50 all time player with him that still lead multiple teams to the conference finals?

Got it.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

clenz wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:42 am Just so we are clear

Lebron takes a hit because he wad Wade in Miami, a past prime Kevin Love in Cleveland or Davis in LA...ignoring he took Cleveland to the heights he did the first time there with Anderson fucking Verejo as his number 2

but

Jordan doesn't for having a top 50 all time player with him that still lead multiple teams to the conference finals?

Got it.
Who said that and what exactly is your point? LeBron is one of the greatest players of all time.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

clenz wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:42 am Just so we are clear

but

Got it.
Love wasn't past his prime when he joined Cleveland. Davis certainly is not past his prime either. And the first go-round in Cleveland, LeBron got swept by San Antonio in his only Finals appearance.

As far as Jordan/Pippen, its not like we are talking Stockton/Malone. Pippen may be a top 50 player, but he never took a team to the heights that Jordan did. Pippen was never even close to being the same level as Jordan. Even with a team stacked in his favor to get to the Finals, Pippen could not get them there. Also, Pippen would have joined the Lakers in 1999 if Jackson wanted him, but Jackson remember the chaos in Chicago when Pippen was the leader after Jordan left to play baseball. So Pippen came to Portland, and the Game 7 meltdown was clear who made the right call between Jackson and Pippen.

Pippen should rightly kiss Jordan's ass every time he sees Jordan. Jordan made Pippen a top 50 player and a household name. Pippen would never have got there by himself.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Lakers might take this one in 4.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:23 pm Lakers might take this one in 4.
Or they might lose a game and have it be like every other round so far for them. But agreed, hard to see them losing 4 games - the title is theirs for the taking.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:34 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:23 pm Lakers might take this one in 4.
Or they might lose a game and have it be like every other round so far for them. But agreed, hard to see them losing 4 games - the title is theirs for the taking.
Yep, this is similar to Golden State with 2 top 5 players on a team. They are going to be hard to beat baring injuries.