Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Confederate hanging

Post by kalm »

From a friends Facebook page. How would you address this?
So today I had an employee ask if it would be okay to hang the confederate flag in our place of business. I asked why? He said it’s part of our history.

I won’t go into my response here. My question for all of my professional friends here in Eastern Washington and North Idaho. How would you address this question in your place of business?

If I have tagged you, know you are a respected professional in my world and the Spokane/ CDA community. Not asking for a response but, would be happy to listen to your ideas on this issue.
In my 40 plus years, in my many professional rolls, I’ve never had to respond to this question. The funny thing is I was not surprised when I heard the question. We all say we have come along way. Have we? How do you respond to this question in your place of business?
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Re: Confederate hanging

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:04 am From a friends Facebook page. How would you address this?
So today I had an employee ask if it would be okay to hang the confederate flag in our place of business. I asked why? He said it’s part of our history.

I won’t go into my response here. My question for all of my professional friends here in Eastern Washington and North Idaho. How would you address this question in your place of business?

If I have tagged you, know you are a respected professional in my world and the Spokane/ CDA community. Not asking for a response but, would be happy to listen to your ideas on this issue.
In my 40 plus years, in my many professional rolls, I’ve never had to respond to this question. The funny thing is I was not surprised when I heard the question. We all say we have come along way. Have we? How do you respond to this question in your place of business?
This is easy. I have practiced "arguing in question form" for decades.
So my first question to the person with the request is, "Do you think this would offend some people?"
Then: "Do you think it is good business to offend some people?"
And so on and so on until the idea is completely defeated.

Unless, of course, the business is selling Civil War artifacts and memorabilia. :lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:04 am From a friends Facebook page. How would you address this?

I thought Citdawg lived in Missoula? Or is the Palouse a last bastion of the confederacy?

The answer is no. Flaggy's approach to getting there is a good one.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Would we be as concerned about offending people if it were someone in the work place wanting to fly a Palestinian flag?
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:59 am

I thought Citdawg lived in Missoula? Or is the Palouse a last bastion of the confederacy?

Agree, Flaggy's approach is a good one.

My company in Minnesota would not allow it for sure. Might even get shown the door, but I think they would warn you to take it down first.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

No.

When you own the business, you can put it up.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Pwns wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:00 am Would we be as concerned about offending people if it were someone in the work place wanting to fly a Palestinian flag?
You could have a living, breathing Palestinian customer or employee. When did the last living confederate die?

People who want to hang confederate flags complain about the overly sensitive, politically correct people that are offended by it and then when they're denied, become overly sensitive about other displays. If they want people to have thicker skin, maybe they should model having thicker skin.

Final answer: I probably would because there is no reason to risk alienating customers or other employees.
Rob Iola
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Lurking

Post by Rob Iola »

In situations like these the response should always be "what would Donald Trump do?"
Proletarians of the world, unite!
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:10 am
UNI88 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:59 am

Agree, Flaggy's approach is a good one.

My company in Minnesota would not allow it for sure. Might even get shown the door, but I think they would warn you to take it down first.
Hmmm. I’d have taken a bit more of a direct approach.

“Have you been living under a fucking ROCK for the last 5 years? Does the concept of “political correctness” ring a bell, you fucking moron? Are you really that fucking stupid? You want the “woke” left to come burn this fucking place to the ground?”....you know, THAT line of questioning.....
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Pwns wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:00 am Would we be as concerned about offending people if it were someone in the work place wanting to fly a Palestinian flag?
This is America. Only one flag allowed to be flown. :coffee: :coffee:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:14 am

This is easy. I have practiced "arguing in question form" for decades.
So my first question to the person with the request is, "Do you think this would offend some people?"
Then: "Do you think it is good business to offend some people?"
And so on and so on until the idea is completely defeated.

Unless, of course, the business is selling Civil War artifacts and memorabilia. :lol:
Are you located in the Deep South?
Is "heritage" part of your business model?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Flaggy's response works. Assuming as was said that this is not a Civil War memorabilia store. But when push comes to shove, if it's my store, I ultimately decide what gets displayed in my store, and there's no way I would ever fly that flag, or even show it, with anything I'm associated with. Problem solved.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:33 pm
Sounds more like Russia. Is this Russia, Danny? This isn’t Russia.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:40 am
You could have a living, breathing Palestinian customer or employee. When did the last living confederate die?

People who want to hang confederate flags complain about the overly sensitive, politically correct people that are offended by it and then when they're denied, become overly sensitive about other displays. If they want people to have thicker skin, maybe they should model having thicker skin.

Final answer: I probably would because there is no reason to risk alienating customers or other employees.
Trust me. This hasn't happened yet.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:21 am
UNI88 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:40 am

Trust me. This hasn't happened yet.
If you were born after 1865 then the only way you're a confederate is if you self-identify as one.
Last edited by UNI88 on Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:12 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:33 pm

Sounds more like Russia. Is this Russia, Danny? This isn’t Russia.
Getting closer every day, if the left had their way. :coffee: :coffee:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

My personal opinion is that there is nothing wrong with the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia. But I would say "no" because it would cause shit.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

Was anyone else disappointed after seeing this thread title?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

DuckDuckGriz wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:15 pm Was anyone else disappointed after seeing this thread title?
Yes.

Last edited by UNI88 on Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

How about this "Are you a big fan of losing teams?"
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Which one? The 1st National? 2nd National? 3rd National? Battle Flag (every confederate army had their own version)? 1st Navy Jack? 2nd Navy Jack (sometimes simply referred to as the Navy Jack)? 1st Navy Ensign? 2nd Navy Ensign? Bonnie Blue?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
LeadBolt
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by LeadBolt »

I’d go with “no” even though I have a battle flag that wasn’t surrendered at home. Not appropriate at business.

I’d treat it as any other flag other than “Old Glory” or your state flag which should always be flown, imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Sure - anything solid white will work...
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:45 pm

Which one? The 1st National? 2nd National? 3rd National? Battle Flag (every confederate army had their own version)? 1st Navy Jack? 2nd Navy Jack (sometimes simply referred to as the Navy Jack)? 1st Navy Ensign? 2nd Navy Ensign? Bonnie Blue?
The solid white one - the Loser Flag
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

LeadBolt wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:30 am I’d go with “no” even though I have a battle flag that wasn’t surrendered at home. Not appropriate at business.

I’d treat it as any other flag other than “Old Glory” or your state flag which should always be flown, imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How about an EWU flag?