2020 Official Baseball Season Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: 2020 Official Baseball Season Thread

Post by Gil Dobie »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:46 pm The Central division, between the two leagues, got seven teams into the playoffs. None of them advanced past the first round.

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk
They showed they had good hitting against bad pitching. In the playoffs they had bad hitting against good pitching.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:29 am
SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:46 pm The Central division, between the two leagues, got seven teams into the playoffs. None of them advanced past the first round.

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk
They showed they had good hitting against bad pitching. In the playoffs they had bad hitting against good pitching.
Yup, the Central bubbles just didn't have enough quality pitching to go around. Got to the postseason and that got exposed. It happens.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

Yanks pound the Tampa Bay Karens tonight, 9-3. They take the Stable to the shed.

Karens' reliever throws high and tight at consecutive Yankees batters after Stanton grand slam in ninth.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

You seem very pleased with your team's victory last night, Joe. Congratulations. Maybe your boys are finally starting to earn some of their exorbitant salaries. We shall see.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

JoltinJoe wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:27 pm Yanks pound the Tampa Bay Karens tonight, 9-3. They take the Stable to the shed.

Karens' reliever throws high and tight at consecutive Yankees batters after Stanton grand slam in ninth.
So I was trying to understand how the home/away thing works for these neutral sites. I would think it is 2-2-1. But this site shows the AL being 2-3 but the NL games show as 2-2-1. WTF?
I'm too lazy to continue to look. Anyone know?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... rc404=true
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:02 am You seem very pleased with your team's victory last night, Joe. Congratulations. Maybe your boys are finally starting to earn some of their exorbitant salaries. We shall see.
Just one game. You never know how a series will turn out.

The comment was more about the Karens' pitcher throwing two high-and-tight "purpose" fastballs after the grand slam. Just not a classy group. I guess you can win a title, but never really be a champion.

So here's the pitch that followed the Stanton slam.

After the last go-round, the Karens had a chance to let things drop. Instead, they have instigated again.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/06/yankees-r ... offs-rout/
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

JoltinJoe wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:23 am
SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:02 am You seem very pleased with your team's victory last night, Joe. Congratulations. Maybe your boys are finally starting to earn some of their exorbitant salaries. We shall see.

The comment was more about the Karens' pitcher throwing two high-and-tight "purpose" fastballs after the grand slam. Just not a classy group. I guess you can win a title, but never really be a champion.

After the last go-round, the Karens had a chance to let things drop. Instead, they have instigated again.

This is like one side of a heavily partisan political debate. So it's okay when your guys do it?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:04 pm
JoltinJoe wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:23 am

This is like one side of a heavily partisan political debate. So it's okay when your guys do it?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
But that's the thing. "My guys" don't do it.

The Karens do it repeatedly over the course of two seasons. Then they whine like little bitches they are when the tables are FINALLY turned. What a shitstain of a franchise. And they are managed by a completely classless thug that any other baseball organization would be ashamed to have as the face of the franchise.

I have friends in the NY sports media. Trust me when I say that Kevin Cash will never get a job in any other organization in baseball. Most teams couldn't afford, from a marketing perspective, to have a thug like that run their team. I get it. It doesn't matter for the Karens. They have no brand. When you have almost no fans, how can you damage your brand?

When they move to Montreal, they will can Cash and hire an adult.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Must win game tonight for the Yankees tonight. If they lose, I don't see them winning the series. Not sure how they will win the series even if they do win tonight but winning 1 of 2 is easier than winning 2 of 2.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Joe posting about anyone playing the yankees is like JSO posting about Trump - the other side is despicable and we're as clean as driven snow.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

The Yankees set a post season record by striking out 18 times last night. That's pretty cool.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:45 am The Yankees set a post season record by striking out 18 times last night. That's pretty cool.
Sadly, just a reflection on how baseball's played now - all boom or bust. It's either a HR or a strikeout. I've got 3 boys, all who love to play baseball, but unless we're going to the stadium they have no interest in watching baseball, just bored to tears by it. They were much more interested in the Falcons/Packers game the other night than watching playoff baseball (I actually wanted to see the baseball, already watched enough football for the weekend).
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Whats wrong with the Yankees?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:01 pm Whats wrong with the Yankees?
They're not as good of a baseball team as the Rays. :coffee:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:20 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:01 pm Whats wrong with the Yankees?
They haven't been built for playoff baseball in 20 years.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

CAA Flagship wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:51 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:20 am

They haven't been built for playoff baseball in 20 years.
And if it weren't for Cole Hamels getting the yips in 2009 then the Yanks would be without any titles in that timeframe (of course, that was also a Yankee team littered with steroid abusers, but that's a different story). Agreed, they're built for their tiny ballpark and they get exposed when they run into the playoffs.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

Here is a NY writer that, strangely, seems to disagree with Joe about the quality of the Rays organization.
But this is the system, and no one uses it quite like the Rays to make every penny matter. They have far fewer stars than the Yankees, yet all indications — Tampa Bay was 11-3 vs. the Yanks in their first 14 games this year — are the Rays have a better team.

There is no one reason for this, but the No. 1 reason is that Tampa Bay is better at developing pitching. Low-payroll teams such as the Rays and Indians — the Yanks’ opponents in the first two rounds — excel because of the ability to either raise strong pitching up through the system or turn stuff found on the junkheap into quality assets.
https://nypost.com/2020/10/08/yankees-m ... s-sherman/
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:49 pm Here is a NY writer that, strangely, seems to disagree with Joe about the quality of the Rays organization.
But this is the system, and no one uses it quite like the Rays to make every penny matter. They have far fewer stars than the Yankees, yet all indications — Tampa Bay was 11-3 vs. the Yanks in their first 14 games this year — are the Rays have a better team.

There is no one reason for this, but the No. 1 reason is that Tampa Bay is better at developing pitching. Low-payroll teams such as the Rays and Indians — the Yanks’ opponents in the first two rounds — excel because of the ability to either raise strong pitching up through the system or turn stuff found on the junkheap into quality assets.
Joel Sherman. :lol:

Men flush while reading Joel Sherman. I'd call him an idiot, but I wouldn't want to belittle idiots.

The last time they played a baseball season, the Yankees finished 10 games ahead of the Rays. This curious little thing this year was too short of a test to expose the shortcomings of the Rays' roster.

Here's the real story about the series. You can see with your own eyes in live time. Tampa pitchers consistently missing the strike zone, but getting the calls. The other night, it was 1-1, bases loaded, Charlie Morton on the ropes in the third. He then throws five straight pitches outside the strike zone. You can see it plain as day on your screen, and on Gamecast if you are following along. But the ump calls the last two strikes, so it's 3-2 in the count, when it should have been 2-1 in the game already, with Stanton at the plate with the bases loaded. Suddenly, that's a totally different game. But the ump bails out Morton and he survives, when he was about to be knocked out of the game.

Yankees get screwed all the time by the umps. Stats have shown now for a number of years that the umps miss more ball/strike calls against the Yankees, and the player in baseball who gets screwed most often (for several years now) is Aaron Judge. Can't wait for the robo umps.
https://nypost.com/2020/10/07/yankees-m ... nevitable/
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JoltinJoe wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:56 am
SunCoastBlueHen wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:49 pm Here is a NY writer that, strangely, seems to disagree with Joe about the quality of the Rays organization.

Men flush while reading Joel Sherman. I'd call him an idiot, but I wouldn't want to belittle idiots.

The last time they played a baseball season, the Yankees finished 10 games ahead of the Rays. This curious little thing this year was too short of a test to expose the shortcomings of the Rays' roster.

Here's the real story about the series. You can see with your own eyes in live time. Tampa pitchers consistently missing the strike zone, but getting the calls. The other night, it was 1-1, bases loaded, Charlie Morton on the ropes in the third. He then throws five straight pitches outside the strike zone. You can see it plain as day on your screen, and on Gamecast if you are following along. But the ump calls the last two strikes, so it's 3-2 in the count, when it should have been 2-1 in the game already, with Stanton at the plate with the bases loaded. Suddenly, that's a totally different game. But the ump bails out Morton and he survives, when he was about to be knocked out of the game.

Yankees get screwed all the time by the umps. Stats have shown now for a number of years that the umps miss more ball/strike calls against the Yankees, and the player in baseball who gets screwed most often (for several years now) is Aaron Judge. Can't wait for the robo umps.
Sure, the umpires have it in for the Yankees. :roll:

I gotta say, though, not too many people can write that cogent of a post while posting drunk. Still doesn't mean you should do it though. :lol:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:39 am

I gotta say, though, not too many people can write that cogent of a post while posting drunk. Still doesn't mean you should do it though. :lol:
The announcers last night said the Rays were getting the close pitches called strikes in the first few games. And said that the Yankees were getting them last night.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

Good lord, Joe is absolutely delusional.

Joe - I hope you have family close to you just in case the Yankees lose tonight. What are the Baker Act laws where you are?
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

You've heard of Gamecast and Statcast, right? Umpires are handed their reports after every game. Fact One: Gamecast/Statcast documents more missed ball/strike calls against the Yankees than any other team in baseball. Fact Two: Gamecast/Statcast documents that no player in baseball is more frequently the victim of missed ball/strike calls than Aaron Judge. In fact, Aaron Judge is far and away the most poorly umped batter in baseball. There is no one even close to Judge in terms of being victimized by missed ball/strike calls.
Last edited by JoltinJoe on Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

CAA Flagship wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:04 am

The announcers last night said the Rays were getting the close pitches called strikes in the first few games. And said that the Yankees were getting them last night.
Statcast/Gamecast documents that the Rays benefited from more missed ball/strike calls in Games 2 and 3.

Last night, the report showed no advantage for either team.
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

JoltinJoe wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:14 am

You've heard of Gamecast and Statcast, right? Umpires are handed their reports after every game. Fact One: Gamecast/Statcast documents more missed ball/strike calls against the Yankees than any other team in baseball. Fact Two: Gamecast/Statcast documents that no player in baseball is more frequently the victim of missed ball/strike calls than Aaron Judge. In fact, Aaron Judge is far and away the most poorly umped batter in baseball. There is no one even close to Judge in terms of being victimized by missed ball/strike calls.
Regarding Judge, see for yourself. Here is his profile from Baseball Savant:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/visuals/ ... on%20Judge

On pitches low, outside the strike zone but within 1.5 inches, umps have erred 44% of the time against Judge in his career. 44%! The MLB average is under 20%. So Judge is MORE than 2x as likely to have that ball called a strike. In contrast, that same ball has been called against Jose Altuve a grand total of four times in the past four season.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

Why would the umpires have it out for the Yankees? According to Joe, all of the league's assholes play for the Rays - you would think the assholes would be the ones not getting the calls. Very puzzling.